Image ImageImage Image

Rumor: Bulls Looking at Martell Webster

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

KingoftheCastle
Banned User
And1: 2

Re: Rumor: Bulls Looking at Martell Webster 

Post#81 » by KingoftheCastle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm

john2jer wrote:
KingoftheCastle wrote:I love how Wolves fans have formulated this argument about how great and underrated Webster is, based on the sample size of 8 or so games he has played for them.

My bad, I thought we were talking about Martell Webster, the guy drafted in 2005 that's played 309 regular season games, not to mention preseason and playoff games.

He's been terrible when he's played as evidenced by his career 11.1 per. Oh and his contract sucks too. Please give me tangible evidence that this isn't a mediocre to poor player with a bad contract without some stupid ass hyperbole. Thanks
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#82 » by Clint Eastwood » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:32 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
Clint Eastwood wrote:
BrooklynBulls wrote:We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton.

post of the year. sigged, in fact if you dont mind. i hope this is truly meant to be a bugs bunny quote variant.

Ain't I a stinker?

"which way did he go? which way did he go?" said Bogans in a dummy voice while watching another 2 guard blow by him for a layup.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#83 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:34 pm

KingoftheCastle wrote:
john2jer wrote:
KingoftheCastle wrote:I love how Wolves fans have formulated this argument about how great and underrated Webster is, based on the sample size of 8 or so games he has played for them.

My bad, I thought we were talking about Martell Webster, the guy drafted in 2005 that's played 309 regular season games, not to mention preseason and playoff games.

He's been terrible when he's played as evidenced by his career 11.1 per. Oh and his contract sucks too. Please give me tangible evidence that this isn't a mediocre to poor player with a bad contract without some stupid ass hyperbole. Thanks

Please define "terrible".

Stupid ass hyperbole? I would say that's exactly the route you've taken with "terrible".

Evidence? I think he showed a sign of the player he can be if given the opportunity last January when Roy was hurt.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
C.lupus
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 8,832

Post#84 » by C.lupus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:48 pm

Well I came over here to say that Webster has looked pretty good for Minnesota so far but it has only been 10 games. I guess I don't have to now. Ooops, I just did.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,708

Post#85 » by dougthonus » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:01 pm

I will join others in saying I can't imagine what the Bulls would offer that the T-Wolves wouldn't immediately reject. There are pieces we could offer, but nothing that makes sense for both sides unless the Wolves just want cash.

If the Wolves had 13 men on the roster, so that we could add several players to build up the salary tehn maybe something would have been workable, but there's no way to make a real match.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#86 » by Ralphb07 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:03 pm

I heard Minny is looking for a PG, lol
john2jer
RealGM

Post#87 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:05 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:I heard Minny is looking for a PG, lol

lol? Maybe I'm not privvy to an inside joke here...
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#88 » by funkatron101 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:10 pm

john2jer wrote:

You know, because that is all we apparently draft, right? Like Wayne Ellington, Wes Johnson, Lazar Hayward.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,334

Post#89 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:12 pm

If we're talking the T-Pups I would be more interested in their Brewer or Ellington. I think over all they carry about the same value (maybe not Wayne) and I think we could get them on the cheap.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
john2jer
RealGM

Post#90 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 pm

funkatron101 wrote:
john2jer wrote:

You know, because that is all we apparently draft, right? Like Wayne Ellington, Wes Johnson, Lazar Hayward.

Guess I'm confused. Considering there are 3 on the roster and most teams carry 3, I wasn't sure why we needed another one. And then one is an expiring and the idea is to replace the one who is expiring with one who is stashed overseas, again leaving us at 3.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#91 » by panthermark » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 pm

I have no clue what Minny would want...or what they are currently looking for....
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
KeithBoothfan
Lead Assistant
And1: 198

Post#92 » by KeithBoothfan » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:19 pm

john2jer wrote:

Running gag that has existed since the Flynn/Rubio PG draftapalooza.

In the end, don't see why the Wolves would deal with us - seems to me they'd either trade some of their duplicative talent in a 2 or 3 for 1 deal for a clear upgrade somewhere, or maybe ease the logjam in exchange for picks (though I don't think they'd want to get younger).

If it's the former, we only have Rose and Noah as clear upgrades over Flynn/Ridnour at PG, or Noah as an upgrade over Darko. Boozer plays Love's position for a lot more money. Deng plays Beasley (and to some extent Wes Johnson)'s position for more money and he's arguably not even a clear upgrade. We're not dealing Rose or Noah, so that's a non-starter.

If it's the latter, we have what is likely to be a pick in the early-mid 20s, or the Charlotte pick. I'd consider dealing our first, but certainly not the Cats pick, for Webster. Plus, we'd have to send them scraps they don't have room for and almost certainly wouldn't want, to make salaries match.
Can I borrow a feeling?

Care for a ViciousFlogging? I'm your guy!
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#93 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:22 pm

Re-Unite Dem Gator Boyz.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#94 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:23 pm

KeithBoothfan wrote:
john2jer wrote:

Running gag that has existed since the Flynn/Rubio PG draftapalooza.

In the end, don't see why the Wolves would deal with us - seems to me they'd either trade some of their duplicative talent in a 2 or 3 for 1 deal for a clear upgrade somewhere, or maybe ease the logjam in exchange for picks (though I don't think they'd want to get younger).

If it's the former, we only have Rose and Noah as clear upgrades over Flynn/Ridnour at PG, or Noah as an upgrade over Darko. Boozer plays Love's position for a lot more money. Deng plays Beasley (and to some extent Wes Johnson)'s position for more money and he's arguably not even a clear upgrade. We're not dealing Rose or Noah, so that's a non-starter.

If it's the latter, we have what is likely to be a pick in the early-mid 20s, or the Charlotte pick. I'd consider dealing our first, but certainly not the Cats pick, for Webster. Plus, we'd have to send them scraps they don't have room for and almost certainly wouldn't want, to make salaries match.

Oh, so is this where I should counter with a Baby Bulls joke, something along the lines of the Bulls are in need of high school kids since their roster is filled with them? Wait, that's not true... Darn. :wink:

All kidding aside, the rest of your post was a perfect summary of why the Bulls/Wolves aren't good trade partners.

Ultimately the Wolves aren't going to be making a trade unless it's for a clear upgrade bringing back a #1 option(unlikely), or unless it's using cap space to pick up future assets, like the Eric Maynor/Utah/OKC trade last year.
john2jer
RealGM

Post#95 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:27 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Re-Unite Dem Gator Boyz.

Corey Brewer is available, but I think it would be in a trade for future assets. Kind of like a useful expiring for a useless expiring and a late pick.

Chicago gives: Kurt Thomas, Brian Scalabrine, and future protected 1st
Sota gives: Corey Brewer

Something in that mold.
organix85
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#96 » by organix85 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:35 pm

Why should we trade when they may....ummmm...whats the word?

*searches interwebz*

Contract is the word!

Yea, if they do that, we'll get Webster for freeeeeee!

/green
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Imagine how much more athletic Noah would be if he didn't have his big ass ball sack dragging him down
funkatron101
General Manager
And1: 960

Post#97 » by funkatron101 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 pm

organix85 wrote:Why should we trade when they may....ummmm...whats the word?

*searches interwebz*

Contract is the word!

Yea, if they do that, we'll get Webster for freeeeeee!

/green

Stay out of it, Lebron.
Lattimer wrote:Cracks me up that people still think that Wiggins will be involved in the trade for Love. Wolves are out of their mind if they think they are getting Wiggins for Love.
Jvaughn
RealGM
And1: 4,126

Post#98 » by Jvaughn » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:40 pm

Webster's a pretty talented guy. Not known as a defensive player, but he has his moments. I saw him do an admirable job on Melo either last year or the year before. If he can be had for cheap I'd take him. Not at the expense of Taj though.
spearsy23 wrote:Kobe is a low percentage chucker just like Jennings, he's just better at it.

teamCHItown wrote:Now we have threads on what violent felons think of our Bulls. Great. Next up, OJ Simpson's take on a possible Taj Gibson extension.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#99 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:53 pm

john2jer wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Re-Unite Dem Gator Boyz.

Corey Brewer is available, but I think it would be in a trade for future assets. Kind of like a useful expiring for a useless expiring and a late pick.

Chicago gives: Kurt Thomas, Brian Scalabrine, and future protected 1st
Sota gives: Corey Brewer

Something in that mold.

From the little I've seen of Brewer I know he's better than Bogans. I really like his length(NO HOMO) and I think he's more of a 2-way player than R.Brewer or Korver. I think under Thibodeau Corey could be special considering his physical tools.

What's up with Ellington? I watched every game of his at UNC and thought he would be better and playing more.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,428

Post#100 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:04 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:If we're talking the T-Pups I would be more interested in their Brewer or Ellington. I think over all they carry about the same value (maybe not Wayne) and I think we could get them on the cheap.

That seems easily arranged. With the investment this summer of our three 1sts in Wes Johnson, Martell Webster and Lazar Hayward, and then the addition of Beasley, its unlikely MIN will exercise its rights on Corey Brewer. There is also a rumor that Brewer was offered to move up in the draft.

Brewer has potential, and I think he leads the league in steals, but he just never seems to put it all together. Last season, the front office noticed a flaw in his jump that made him shoot off-balanced, and he had a remarkable turn-around in FG%, particularly shooting three's. He's got great athleticism and length, but he just doesn't pan out.

Webster's better, but I definitely agree that Brewer would be cheaper.

Return to Chicago Bulls