Image ImageImage Image

Rumor: Bulls Looking at Martell Webster

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,603

Re: Rumor: Bulls Looking at Martell Webster 

Post#61 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:05 pm

DuckIII wrote:
john2jer wrote:Kahn is a huge fan of Webster

In that case, pass.

Probably.

Just so you know, Kahn reportedly was paying his own way into Portland games to scout Webster. Moreover, he paid Gome's (partially guaranteed) cap space plus the #16 pick for him. I don't think Kahn would move Webster for less than the CHA pick, and you guys could probably get a better offer elsewhere.

As for the trolling .. my god, how much protections do the readers sensitivities need? I doubt anyone in CHI is crying in their pillows right now. The rules are in place to promote civil discussion, but if you slap people down for putting a little good-natured tweaking in their posts, you have the opposite effect. I'm a big fan of the CHI board, but I think this was a mistake.
horaceworthy
Head Coach
And1: 250

Post#62 » by horaceworthy » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:08 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:I know exactly who Martell Webster is. A slow-footed jumpshooter whose athleticism was always overstated. His ballhandling is second to all, and his defense being good is a new revelation held among Wolves fans, for whom he has played 8 regular season games. I simply disagree with their evaluation.

Hey now, don't put that good defender revelation on Wolves fans, that started amongst Portland fans last year. He spent a decent amount of the year (mis)cast as their stopper, and had a good 4th quarter against Kobe this one time, which totally means he's a lockdown defender and all that.

He does give good effort on that side of the floor, and handles physical matchups well, but has trouble staying in front of quicker players.

The weird thing about his athleticism is that I remember people ragging on his lack of it leading up to the draft, then all of the sudden he got picked by the Blazers and people got all excited about it. He's strong and fairly explosive when he gets his feet under him, but as far as quickness/agility is concerned, I'd prefer the change the subject.

The handle is probably the revelation to Wolves fans. Not that he's got a good one, but he's been aggressive driving seams and makes quick decisions with the ball. He's been a better and more willing passer than I expected, although sometimes when he tries to hit the roll man off a screen I wonder if he realizes that this isn't four square, throwing it at the guy's ankles is a bad thing.

He'd be a good addition for you guys, but I don't see Minnesota being willing to deal him for what the Bulls would likely offer unless they think Webster's destined to break permanently in the near future.
"A while back,'' Cardinal said, "I took a picture of the standings and texted it to Love, just to bust his chops,'' Cardinal said. "He sent me a picture back of a snowdrift.''
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#63 » by TheSchmaranz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:11 pm

shrink wrote:
As for the trolling .. my god, how much protections do the readers sensitivities need? I doubt anyone in CHI is crying in their pillows right now. The rules are in place to promote civil discussion, but if you slap people down for putting a little good-natured tweaking in their posts, you have the opposite effect. I'm a big fan of the CHI board, but I think this was a mistake.

I find what you just said offensive...

:D
KingoftheCastle
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#64 » by KingoftheCastle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:12 pm

I love how Wolves fans have formulated this argument about how great and underrated Webster is, based on the sample size of 8 or so games he has played for them.
TheSchmaranz
Bench Warmer
And1: 108

Post#65 » by TheSchmaranz » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:14 pm

KingoftheCastle wrote:I love how Wolves fans have formulated this argument about how great and underrated Webster is, based on the sample size of 8 or so games he has played for them.

I was wondering that too. I've seen on more then one occasion in this thread of people mentioning his run in Minnesota. 200 minutes is a good sample size eh? Let's also not mention the fact that the guy barely shot 40% from the field last season as well.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,308

Post#66 » by coldfish » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:15 pm

Gar Foreman: Hey Kahn, would you be interested in sending us Webster?
Kahn: Maybe, but I would want something for him.
Foreman: Really? Never mind then. :click:

shrink wrote:As for the trolling .. my god, how much protections do the readers sensitivities need? I doubt anyone in CHI is crying in their pillows right now. The rules are in place to promote civil discussion, but if you slap people down for putting a little good-natured tweaking in their posts, you have the opposite effect. I'm a big fan of the CHI board, but I think this was a mistake.

The guy came on the Bulls board and called everyone clueless. If that isn't trolling, nothing is.
shrink
RealGM

Post#67 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:16 pm

KingoftheCastle wrote:I love how Wolves fans have formulated this argument about how great and underrated Webster is, based on the sample size of 8 or so games he has played for them.

Why would you think that? Do you think its uncommon for fans to research the history of players that join their team?
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#68 » by coldfish » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:18 pm

shrink wrote:

Why would you think that? Do you think its uncommon for fans to research the history of players that join their team?

No, its very common for fans to overrate their own players and underrate everyone else's. Everyone does it. We do it with Taj Gibson. Minnesota fans have a long history of it too.
KingoftheCastle
Banned User

Post#69 » by KingoftheCastle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:18 pm

shrink wrote:

A history of being mediocre and hurt in Portland. That is why they pulled the wool over Khan's eyes(who doesn't) and traded you the bum.
shrink
RealGM

Post#70 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:21 pm

coldfish wrote:
shrink wrote:As for the trolling .. my god, how much protections do the readers sensitivities need? I doubt anyone in CHI is crying in their pillows right now. The rules are in place to promote civil discussion, but if you slap people down for putting a little good-natured tweaking in their posts, you have the opposite effect. I'm a big fan of the CHI board, but I think this was a mistake.

The guy came on the Bulls board and called everyone clueless. If that isn't trolling, nothing is.

Then, and this is my personal opinion, not an indictment on specific modding, there is either a problem with the rule, or the enforcement of the rule.

In either case, I don't think this promotes debate. Who's really getting protected here? Were people's feelings hurt so they had to stop posting? Was there a rush to call him and his mother profane names? IMO, enforcement like this makes people less willing to leave their own forums and participate in discussions where sharing views would really be helpful. I wont say any more - not really my business.
shrink
RealGM

Post#71 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:23 pm

coldfish wrote:
shrink wrote:

No, its very common for fans to overrate their own players and underrate everyone else's. Everyone does it. We do it with Taj Gibson. Minnesota fans have a long history of it too.

That's not what he said. He said they formulated their argument on eight games. I won't call him a name because that's against the rules, but the logic and validity of that statement is ... umm .. indication enough.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#72 » by kyrv » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:25 pm

coldfish wrote:Gar Foreman: Hey Kahn, would you be interested in sending us Webster?
Kahn: Maybe, but I would want something for him.
Foreman: Really? Never mind then. :click:

This sums it up for me. Webster trade makes zero sense to me for either team.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#73 » by coldfish » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm

shrink wrote:
coldfish wrote:

Then, and this is my personal opinion, not an indictment on specific modding, there is either a problem with the rule, or the enforcement of the rule.

In either case, I don't think this promotes debate. Who's really getting protected here? Were people's feelings hurt so they had to stop posting? Was there a rush to call him and his mother profane names? IMO, enforcement like this makes people less willing to leave their own forums and participate in discussions where sharing views would really be helpful. I wont say any more - not really my business.

I'm probably the most liberal in defending the rights of fans from other teams on the Bulls board. I WANT people from other teams to give their inputs here. I think it tamps down the homerism that builds up on a board when you only have home fans discussing things. That being said, look at his post. It added nothing and it just insulted people. There was no need for it. What is encouraged is fans from other teams giving the details of *why* they like a certain player, what his role is and why his value is more than what is being offered.

Several Wolves posters did just that and nothing was said. . . . well except for some Bulls homers making loud noises.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#74 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:26 pm

My bad, I thought we were talking about Martell Webster, the guy drafted in 2005 that's played 309 regular season games, not to mention preseason and playoff games.

I don't think one person has said Martell Webster is great, my only argument is that he's not the bum that some Chicago fans seem to think he is for some reason. There is a middle ground.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
shrink
RealGM

Post#75 » by shrink » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 pm

coldfish wrote:I'm probably the most liberal in defending the rights of fans from other teams on the Bulls board. I WANT people from other teams to give their inputs here. I think it tamps down the homerism that builds up on a board when you only have home fans discussing things. That being said, look at his post. It added nothing and it just insulted people. There was no need for it. What is encouraged is fans from other teams giving the details of *why* they like a certain player, what his role is and why his value is more than what is being offered.

Fair enough.
Clint Eastwood
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,075
Location: Taking my talents to South Beach (twice a day at times)

Post#76 » by Clint Eastwood » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton.

post of the year. sigged, in fact if you dont mind. i hope this is truly meant to be a bugs bunny quote variant.
We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton. -BrooklynBulls
KingoftheCastle
Banned User

Post#77 » by KingoftheCastle » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:27 pm

shrink wrote: He said they formulated their argument on eight games. I won't call him a name because that's against the rules, but the logic and validity of that statement is ... umm .. indication enough.

The knock on him is if he has the ability to put the ball on the floor, which he showed he could do during the preseason before the injury.

Kahn is a huge fan of Webster, I doubt he'd just give him away for peanuts.

The argument seems that is along the line of he morphed into good player since becoming a TWolve. We don't need to discuss what he did in Portland, when he wasn't hurt he was terrible. And we all laughed at Khan when he traded for a guy everyone knew was hurt.
john2jer
RealGM
And1: 452

Post#78 » by john2jer » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:28 pm

BrooklynBulls wrote:
john2jer wrote:While Taj Gibson is a good player, I'm not sure why the Wolves would be targeting anyways, with Love, Darko, and Beasley on the roster there aren't many minutes left at the 4/5.

Pretty much. I don't think we'd give up Gibson in the first place. And since you already paid a steep price for Webster, no sense in dumping him.

I'm not arguing you would or should give up Gibson. I'm just stating that it makes no sense for the Wolves to even target him. The fit just isn't there, and the cost to get Gibson is much greater than the value he'd bring to the Wolves. His value to the Bulls, and many other teams, is far greater than it is to the Wolves.
basketball royalty wrote:Is Miami considered a big city in the States? I thought guys just went there because of the weather and the bitches?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#79 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:28 pm

Clint Eastwood wrote:
BrooklynBulls wrote:We have Martell Webster. He's called Kyle Korver here, and we shall love him and squeeze him and call him Ashton.

post of the year. sigged, in fact if you dont mind. i hope this is truly meant to be a bugs bunny quote variant.

Ain't I a stinker?
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#80 » by BrooklynBulls » Tue Dec 28, 2010 9:30 pm

john2jer wrote:
BrooklynBulls wrote:
john2jer wrote:While Taj Gibson is a good player, I'm not sure why the Wolves would be targeting anyways, with Love, Darko, and Beasley on the roster there aren't many minutes left at the 4/5.

Pretty much. I don't think we'd give up Gibson in the first place. And since you already paid a steep price for Webster, no sense in dumping him.

I'm not arguing you would or should give up Gibson. I'm just stating that it makes no sense for the Wolves to even target him. The fit just isn't there, and the cost to get Gibson is much greater than the value he'd bring to the Wolves. His value to the Bulls, and many other teams, is far greater than it is to the Wolves.

I completely agree with that.

-------

And I didn't trash Webster completely. I like Kyle Korver. And I called him a Kyle Korver type. He's a shooter, a bit more athletic and able to finish at the hoop. But he'd be duplicative here.

Return to Chicago Bulls