Image ImageImage Image

In depth look at Rose what really makes an MVP

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

M_1
Junior
And1: 12

Re: In depth look at Rose what really makes an MVP 

Post#41 » by M_1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:26 pm

Great work. The stats perfectly resume my thoughts on D.Rose and the MVP award. He´s definetely close and could win it this year b/c of weak competition, but overall he just needs to be a bit more efficient.It´s a small step and I´m sure he will reach it as he´s been doing it by going to the line more often recently and if this continues, he´ll win the MVP in the foreseeable future. No doubt about it.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,169

Post#42 » by alucryts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:36 pm

captaincrunk wrote:A lot of those stats can be explained by the wide variety of types of players to win the award. Plenty of bigs getting 3 or less assists have won, and plenty of PG's getting less than 5 rebounds have won. It just so happens that when a big does win, they get loads more boards, etc. I feel this data is largely inconclusive, thought the PER stats and a few others were enlightening.

ya you really have to take it for what its worth and use context. rose should excel at scoring and assist, so looking at those graphs you can see hed excel at assists especially and a lot of former mvps only beat the average in 1 category of pts/ast/reb. if rose could beat the average in points and assists i think he would have strong mvp stats as well as if he could beat the average in ts% and assists.
Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#43 » by Shill » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:48 pm

alucryts wrote:bogans has some catching up to do:

http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/8047/bogans.png

Scottie Pippen's response to whom he would pick for his running mate, Michael or LeBron: "That's a dumbass question. I've never done anything with LeBron. I wouldn't take LeBron to the movies."
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#44 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:06 pm

Of the past 20 MVP winners, only two were guys who

1. Played the majority of the previous season
2. Didn't finish top 5 in the previous MVP ballot

01 Iverson and 05 Nash

Derrick would have to make the leap from no votes to MVP winner, only done by Steve Nash (who changed teams).

Guys don't win the MVP the first year they are in discussion for it. Just never happens.
grinderANC
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#45 » by grinderANC » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Great post man. Great analysis of those stats. Way to put it into perspective.
grinderANC
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#46 » by grinderANC » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:16 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Of the past 20 MVP winners, only two were guys who

1. Played the majority of the previous season
2. Didn't finish top 5 in the previous MVP ballot

01 Iverson and 05 Nash

Derrick would have to make the leap from no votes to MVP winner, only done by Steve Nash (who changed teams).

Guys don't win the MVP the first year they are in discussion for it. Just never happens.

Here's to hoping Rose can buck that trend
23forever
Sixth Man
And1: 41

Post#47 » by 23forever » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:34 pm

GetBuLLish wrote:Amazing stuff alucryts. Dare I say, MVP type post?

haha this is exactly what I was thinking. The sad thing about the award is that it tends to mirror a career achievement in most cases. I feel like players win it when it becomes undeniable and they have paid their dues. I agree with your assessment of what Derrick has to improve to have a good shot at winning the award, but also second the sentiment that it's extremely rare for someone to get the MVP nod the first year in which they become a serious part of the discussion. I'm also really bothered by what's going on with the Heat/Cavs lately. Lebron is playing extremely well and the Heat are winning a lot, while the Cavs are looking like a historically bad team (see 112-57 last night). It just proves how valuable that coward was to Cleveland's success. I'm just hoping the fact that Wade's strong numbers coupled with the fact that he has never won the award will indeed steal sentimental votes from Lebron because as much as I hate to admit it, I think it's pretty clear cut that Lebron remains the "more valuable" of the two. If the Mavs keep losing, the Heat cool off a bit, and Derrick improves in the areas you suggested, I think we've got a little more than a puncher's chance despite the award's history.
Rapper's Rapper ( MCBravado.com ) , Native New Yorker, Avid Bulls fan, Molder of the youth ... Tweet, tweet: @MCBravado
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#48 » by LoveDaBoo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:23 pm

Eh, MVPs typically have post counts of over 10,000. For alucryts to have a legitimate shot, he needs to be picked up by the national media or something.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#49 » by alucryts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 pm

LoveDaBoo wrote:

Eh, MVPs typically have post counts of over 10,000. For alucryts to have a legitimate shot, he needs to be picked up by the national media or something.

ya and i dont have enough years lmao
TheWhitePanther
Rookie
And1: 9

Post#50 » by TheWhitePanther » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:13 pm

What I don't understand is how Dirk Nowitzki is everyone's frontrunner for MVP all of a sudden. The guy is having statistically one of the worst years of his career. If he's the MVP this year, he should have been the MVP each of the previous eight years. The Western Conference is now inferior to the East as far as I'm concerned so Dallas probably gets a little too much credit for being a the current #2 seed - where in year's past being the #5 seed in the West meant were better than everyone in the East. Dallas success has every bit to do with how good the rest of that team has become as it does the 2010-11 version of Dirk that is 85-90% of the guy who won the MVP in 07 (that probably didn't deserve it then either).
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#51 » by alucryts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:14 pm

TheWhitePanther wrote:What I don't understand is how Dirk Nowitzki is everyone's frontrunner for MVP all of a sudden. The guy is having statistically one of the worst years of his career. If he's the MVP this year, he should have been the MVP each of the previous eight years. The Western Conference is now inferior to the East as far as I'm concerned so Dallas probably gets a little too much credit for being a the current #2 seed - where in year's past being the #5 seed in the West meant were better than everyone in the East. Dallas success has every bit to do with how good the rest of that team has become as it does the 2010-11 version of Dirk that is 85-90% of the guy who won the MVP in 07 (that probably didn't deserve it then either).

hes on a team on track for 60+ wins, either 1 or 2 seed, and his stats are inline with other MVPs. no one else can say all of that imo
chadrucf
RealGM
And1: 5,015

Post#52 » by chadrucf » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:28 pm

TheWhitePanther wrote:What I don't understand is how Dirk Nowitzki is everyone's frontrunner for MVP all of a sudden. The guy is having statistically one of the worst years of his career. If he's the MVP this year, he should have been the MVP each of the previous eight years.

If that's the way MVPs were given out, there would be at least 4 every year.
Jimmy76
RealGM
And1: 8

Post#53 » by Jimmy76 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:08 pm

A coldfish recommend thread

Sick charts
Ben Wilson25
Rookie
And1: 529

Post#54 » by Ben Wilson25 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:53 pm

alucryts wrote:
TheWhitePanther wrote:What I don't understand is how Dirk Nowitzki is everyone's frontrunner for MVP all of a sudden. The guy is having statistically one of the worst years of his career. If he's the MVP this year, he should have been the MVP each of the previous eight years. The Western Conference is now inferior to the East as far as I'm concerned so Dallas probably gets a little too much credit for being a the current #2 seed - where in year's past being the #5 seed in the West meant were better than everyone in the East. Dallas success has every bit to do with how good the rest of that team has become as it does the 2010-11 version of Dirk that is 85-90% of the guy who won the MVP in 07 (that probably didn't deserve it then either).

hes on a team on track for 60+ wins, either 1 or 2 seed, and his stats are inline with other MVPs. no one else can say all of that imo

Some of the guys who voted for Dirk in '07 might be a little hesitant to vote for him again since immediately after accepting the MVP trophy he proceeded to go out and get embarrassed by the 8 seed in the first round. Rose might benefit from that and the backlash against LeBron. IMO his biggest threat is Wade if the Heat keep rolling.

I still think his chances are very slim for a lot of the reasons stated earlier; we'll probably be no higher than a 3 seed and he hasn't "paid his dues" (same reason it is very rare for rookies to be voted as all-stars no matter how good they are).
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#55 » by PMONSTER » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:08 pm

alucryts wrote:

I was really hoping that Dallas would win every game that Dirk was out. But with that being said I bet they are 5 by the time the playoffs start in the WC.
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
alucryts
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by alucryts » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 pm

PMONSTER wrote:
alucryts wrote:

I was really hoping that Dallas would win every game that Dirk was out. But with that being said I bet they are 5 by the time the playoffs start in the WC.

if dallas drops at all he wont have a prayer imo

Return to Chicago Bulls