Image ImageImage Image

Asik Discussion. Pg 50 Sheridan: Bulls will match

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

S & T not happening - should Bulls match Houston offer to Omer?

They should match and will
31%
They should match but will not
7%
They should not match but will
34%
They should not match and will not
29%

Total votes: 238

JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,319

Re: Asik Discussion, P18 Aggrey- Bulls leaning against match 

Post#301 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:22 am

Angry Jimmy wrote:I hope they don't match. I am not a fan of Asik at all. He's got some skill on the defensive end, but he may very well be the worst offensive player in NBA history. I mean this guy is so bad that he makes Ben Wallace look like Larry Bird.

I don't really understand the Bulls fan base either.

They crucified a guy like Ben Gordon when he was here for being a one-dimensional player, but a guy like Asik who is even more one-dimensional is treated like a key component to a title team. He's a back up center who is too big of a liability on offense to play more than 15-20 minutes a game.

With Rose's injury we're not winning this year. We can do better, and cheaper next year.

Let him walk.

Elite 7 foot Defenders grow on trees.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Jimmy Forums
Veteran
And1: 961

Post#302 » by Jimmy Forums » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:23 am

1rage wrote:
hyperboles are always nice. Also in Thibs' system, the Center has a specific role, and being an offensive juggernaut is not required.

Yeah, well, in the NBA system, having more than one capable offensive player is required, so I'd say this $25 million is better spent elsewhere.

Also, you act like Noah doesn't satisfy this "specific role." Noah is perfect for us.
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#303 » by Angry Jimmy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

AAU Teammate wrote:
Angry Jimmy wrote:I hope they don't match. I am not a fan of Asik at all. He's got some skill on the defensive end, but he may very well be the worst offensive player in NBA history. I mean this guy is so bad that he makes Ben Wallace look like Larry Bird.

They crucified a guy like Ben Gordon when he was here for being a one-dimensional player, but a guy like Asik who is even more one-dimensional is treated like a key component to a title team. He's a back up center who is too big of a liability on offense to play more than 15-20 minutes a game.

With Rose's injury we're not winning this year. We can do better, and cheaper next year.

Let him walk.

There is a huge difference between the Asik and BG situations. Asik is a phenomenal defensive center who is ideal size and quickness. Ben Gordon however was a novelty player who did not have a NBA position. He's a small guard that cannot play point.

What's the difference? Gordon was a guy who was a phenomenal offensive player, who due to his size was a below average defender.

Asik is an above average defender who is quite possibly the worst offensive player in the league.

Both are one dimensional. Asik is even more one dimensional than Gordon.
1rage
Starter
And1: 13

Post#304 » by 1rage » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

BonanzaHawk wrote:
1rage wrote:
hyperboles are always nice. Also in Thibs' system, the Center has a specific role, and being an offensive juggernaut is not required.

Yeah, well, in the NBA system, having more than one capable offensive player is required, so I'd say this $25 million is better spent elsewhere.

Also, you act like Noah doesn't satisfy this "specific role." Noah is perfect for us.

you act like Noah is a game changer on defense and not injury prone.
imagge
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#305 » by imagge » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

Hou must be pretty confident about Asik if they S&T their only C with real NBA playing timeto NY. Now the only C on the roster is a 3rd string 2nd rounder who played a total of 21 games. :o Hou must know something otherwise why agree to such a dunb@$$ trade? :lol:
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#306 » by danzou » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:24 am

I'm with AAU on this one on reserving judgment. If we don't match but use korver to bring in a scoring wing like lee or mayo, I'll be satisfied. But if all we do is sign hinrich, decline Asik and bring in vet min scrubs, then f#%* the FO.
AAU Teammate
RealGM
And1: 803

Post#307 » by AAU Teammate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:25 am

Another thing, AngryJimmy, is the importance of defensive center. It's a really key position. Look what Tyson Chandler did for the Mavs. And what happened upon him leaving.
AAU Teammate
RealGM

Post#308 » by AAU Teammate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:27 am

danzou wrote:I'm with AAU on this one on reserving judgment. If we don't match but use korver to bring in a scoring wing like lee or mayo, I'll be satisfied. But if all we do is sign hinrich, decline Asik and bring in vet min scrubs, then f#%* the FO.

I wonder if the read to have on the recent KC rumors is...........the Bulls want to agree with Houston on a situation where they'll drop the Asik match if Houston trades them C.Lee on a deal involving our expirings in some way.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,319

Post#309 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am

Angry Jimmy wrote:
AAU Teammate wrote:

Let him walk.

There is a huge difference between the Asik and BG situations. Asik is a phenomenal defensive center who is ideal size and quickness. Ben Gordon however was a novelty player who did not have a NBA position. He's a small guard that cannot play point.

What's the difference? Gordon was a guy who was a phenomenal offensive player, who due to his size was a below average defender.

Asik is an above average defender who is quite possibly the worst offensive player in the league.

Both are one dimensional. Asik is even more one dimensional than Gordon.

Asik's one dimension is more rare than Gordon's.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#310 » by Polynice4Pippen » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am

AAU Teammate wrote:Another thing, AngryJimmy, is the importance of defensive center. It's a really key position. Look what Tyson Chandler did for the Mavs. And what happened upon him leaving.

Is Noah leaving too? I mean seriously, Asik plays less than 15 minutes per game. He's not the sole anchor of the defense. Noah's still here, Gibson's still here. I'd love to keep Asik if money isn't an issue. But it clearly is.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#311 » by boogydown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:28 am

imagge
Lead Assistant

Post#312 » by imagge » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

AAU Teammate wrote:Another thing, AngryJimmy, is the importance of defensive center. It's a really key position. Look what Tyson Chandler did for the Mavs. And what happened upon him leaving.

So Noah's an offensive center now :lol: Didn't Noah get paid for being a defensive presence blocking shots, getting def rebs, switching on screens? Seems to me Noah is our defensive Center/ Tyson Chandler
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#313 » by danzou » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

AAU Teammate wrote:
danzou wrote:I'm with AAU on this one on reserving judgment. If we don't match but use korver to bring in a scoring wing like lee or mayo, I'll be satisfied. But if all we do is sign hinrich, decline Asik and bring in vet min scrubs, then f#%* the FO.

I wonder if the read to have on the recent KC rumors is...........the Bulls want to agree with Houston on a situation where they'll drop the Asik match if Houston trades them C.Lee on a deal involving our expirings in some way.

Thats what I'm interpreting from these mixed messages we're getting.
Angry Jimmy
Analyst
And1: 444

Post#314 » by Angry Jimmy » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:29 am

We're talking about a back up here, and Chandler brings much more than defense to the table. He was also a locker room leader, and one of the most efficient scorers in the NBA.

He gives you double figure scoring on elite efficiency, and is not a liability on the offensive end.

Asik has negative value on the offensive end, which negates some of his value on defense.

Also since he's only a back up, replacing his production with a cheaper player is not as hard as some make it out to be.

Maybe the next guy isn't as a great a defender, but isn't a liability on offense, so the net some evens out at lower price.
Jimmy Forums
Veteran

Post#315 » by Jimmy Forums » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:30 am

1rage wrote:
BonanzaHawk wrote:
1rage wrote:

you act like Noah is a game changer on defense and not injury prone.

Noah challenges shots just about as well as Asik, can defend wings on pick and rolls, and is one of the best rebounders in the league (both defensively and offensively). The Bulls are good at defense because we have good help and are good with rotation. Given he's so much quicker, I'd say Noah has a pretty significant advantage defensively in that regard. Then not to mention he's literally 300x better than Asik on offense. You can't just sub Asik in every time we go on defense.

Are you really willing to pay Asik $1 million dollars for every mpg he plays (15 mil for 15 mpg) because he is good at one end of the floor?
imagge
Lead Assistant

Post#316 » by imagge » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:31 am

boogydown wrote:ESPN says they'll match (0:16)

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... ource-says

Article's from yesterday Aggrey Sam says they won't match today.....come on man FA is fluid gotta keep up

j/k
Jimmy Forums
Veteran

Post#317 » by Jimmy Forums » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:32 am

He almost single-handedly won the Knicks a title this year too, didn't he? That's a really good point.
boogydown
Banned User
And1: 15

Post#318 » by boogydown » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:34 am

imagge wrote:
boogydown wrote:ESPN says they'll match (0:16)

http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... ource-says

Article's from yesterday Aggrey Sam says they won't match today.....come on man FA is fluid gotta keep up

j/k

Article was yesterday
jservs7
Pro Prospect
And1: 20

Post#319 » by jservs7 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:35 am

So if Asik gets matched, any chance Boozer gets amnestied?
AAU Teammate
RealGM

Post#320 » by AAU Teammate » Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:36 am

Several people here to quote, but in short.... you get Noah and Nazr guarding Dwight Howard for a full playoff series, and you will gain a greater appreciation for Asik.

People act like Asik's 15 mpg mean he never played more than 15. There were games he played more, games he played less. Reason being, there are some teams where Noah's talents are less useful, and some where Asik's are less useful.

Having both of them helped make us an elite defense. Defense is what we were best at, and 48 minutes of multifaceted centers was a reason we had an advantage over other teams.

You guys just conveniently forgot how our bench mob used to come in and turn the tide of games. Asik and Gibson = stifling. Noah has an array of skills, but defensively he's not nearly as physical as Asik. His offensive rebounding is largely a product of playing a lot of minutes with Rose driving to the hoop, drawing attention from opposing big men.

When Noah gets boxed out, he is very boxed out.

Return to Chicago Bulls