Image ImageImage Image

Asik Discussion. Pg 50 Sheridan: Bulls will match

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

S & T not happening - should Bulls match Houston offer to Omer?

They should match and will
31%
They should match but will not
7%
They should not match but will
34%
They should not match and will not
29%

Total votes: 238

Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 28

Asik Discussion. Pg 50 Sheridan: Bulls will match 

Post#1 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 6:53 am

Happy Birthday (#26) to Omer

Please continue Discussion of Omer & the Houston Offer HERE!

Prior: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1191609&start=1470
SpeedyWindRose
Banned User
And1: 15

Re: Asik Discussion (Part2) - Birthday 7/4 

Post#2 » by SpeedyWindRose » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:11 am

Houston and Asik agreed to the offer on the 1st, right? I remember reading we had 3 days to match, so is today doomsday?
red222
RealGM
And1: 2,293

Post#3 » by red222 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:19 am

SpeedyWindRose wrote:Houston and Asik agreed to the offer on the 1st, right? I remember reading we had 3 days to match, so is today doomsday?

he verbally agreed only he cant sign it till the 11th we'll know on or alittle before the 14th whether we are keeping Asik or not
Bruteque
Starter
And1: 1,176

Post#4 » by Bruteque » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:35 am

I just don't see too many sensible Asik match scenarios which doesn't involve moving Noah. I mean, you can spin it however you want, but if you are going to pay three players a combined $50 mil that third year, two of them better not play the same position.

I don't see matching then moving Asik later as a readily makeable move. You can't trade Asik without his concent for a full year if you match. After one year, it's effectively Asik for $10 mil per. You think Asik for $8 mil per is arguably overpaid? Try getting GMs to take him for $10 mil per when he's playing 12 minutes a game next season. In the third year, it's Asik for $15 mil a year. I keep on hearing that he is going to have value as an expiring in his third year, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense given the Bulls' situation.

Large expirings only have positive value if you are looking to take on unwanted salary for assets. In that third year the Bulls would be looking to dump unwanted salary (specifically, Asik's). Not only does that not have positive value, it has negative value as you will have to send assets away for some team to take on his unwanted salary. I mean, his expiring will only have positive value if the Bulls was looking to take on some Boozer-style albatross unwanted salary for assets.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that it's not the expiring contract which has positive value, it's your team's willingness to take on unwanted salary. The expiring merely makes it possible for you to make use of your team's willingness to take on unwanted salary. Does that describe the Bulls three years from now? That seems highly unlikely.
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Post#5 » by Trm3 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 7:56 am

Bruteque wrote:I just don't see too many sensible Asik match scenarios which doesn't involve moving Noah. I mean, you can spin it however you want, but if you are going to pay three players a combined $50 mil that third year, two of them better not play the same position.

..and moving Noah to keep Asik would be the stupidest idea ever. See ya Asik. Thank you for all ur defense.
chitownsalesmen
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,740

Post#6 » by chitownsalesmen » Wed Jul 4, 2012 8:19 am

Sign and trade for a 1st and ill take it
weneeda2guard
RealGM
And1: 4,903

Post#7 » by weneeda2guard » Wed Jul 4, 2012 11:45 am

i only see 2 options here, which im sure most have stated

1. let him go, benefit from the full MLE get a couple guards in here and sign some vets to back up noah. i really do believe if leon powe can just give us a few minutes of good defense and rebounding and if noah can get his boy turiaf over here our front court core will still be legit.

booz, noah, taj, turiaf, powe is still a better front court than any other team in the east. and when we need some solid interior defense roll with more minutes for taj who was avg more blocks for us anyway.

2.keep with the intention of moving him by the deadline this season or next season. cant go into that 3rd year thinking we got a gem of a expiring for a back up center making 15 mill. by draft night next season asik needs to be gone. we lose a ton more by losing noah.

noah hands are better, his feet is better, he is better on the offensive glass and his intangibles far as heart hustle etc far out weights asik. he is a top 5 center in the league, which is a rare commodity. cant just trade him because houston pimp slapped us.

this is terrible because the bulls front office knew for 2 seasons that this day was coming that asik would get paid. and they understood the interest from other teams. why wouldnt they A. restructure a new deal before hand or B. move him either last off season or this off season for some scoring guards and pick some other 7ft ers from the draft? asik should have been moved this season on draft night. we could have at the worst gotten courtney lee and 1 of houston picks which we could have selected maybe fab melo and had thibs work on making him the next asik. but now we stuck with this decision on asik and still trying to sign courtney lee anyway.

our front office did a horrible job with this asik thing. just horrible.

worst part about all this, they are going to trade taj, on some "we learned our lesson with the asik thing" when taj is the one we really need to be keeping.
"they taking rose kindness for a weakness"
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,804

Post#8 » by jc23 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 12:03 pm

Noah is the better player and more valuable to defeating miami imo. But, if nj gets their super squad together then Asik will be needed to help guard dwight.

With all of these superstars coming together to play with each other it could be rough times for our boy Derrick all by his lonesome.
Be curious, Not judgmental
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#9 » by transplant » Wed Jul 4, 2012 12:31 pm

Happy Birthday, Omer and congrats on the big upcoming salary bump.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
othawhitemeat
Veteran
And1: 757

Post#10 » by othawhitemeat » Wed Jul 4, 2012 1:19 pm

Congrats Omer - love your defense and you are better than Perkins at looking at previous threads about it.

As for trading for Noah to keep Omer - I don't have a problem trading Noah if we get an elite young guard/wing that helps our offense and our team. We have elite backups and asset builders - we will have to do something in the future - we can't just keep our team as is.

If not, thank you Omer. Even though his O is not good, his D is elite and could be near Tyson Chandler esque.
jump
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,409

Post#11 » by jump » Wed Jul 4, 2012 1:24 pm

Sign him now and trade him at the deadline or next summer. We can get a better return than anything on the Houston menu.
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#12 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jul 4, 2012 1:35 pm

Trm3 wrote:
Bruteque wrote:I just don't see too many sensible Asik match scenarios which doesn't involve moving Noah. I mean, you can spin it however you want, but if you are going to pay three players a combined $50 mil that third year, two of them better not play the same position.

..and moving Noah to keep Asik would be the stupidest idea ever. See ya Asik. Thank you for all ur defense.

Unless we got a player in return that is better than Noah. Then it makes complete sense. Who knows if there is a trade out there though
Keith Bogans does his job. Boo Hoo. You want him to quit?
Ron Harper
Assistant Coach
And1: 2

Post#13 » by Ron Harper » Wed Jul 4, 2012 1:57 pm

"Sources say there is one other trade scenario for a significant player that intrigues Magic general manager Rob Hennigan, but that target is unclear."

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--magic ... trade.html

An Adrian Woj quote.

There is a great chance that this is just for leverage. But if true, the Bulls have been very quiet on the trade front. Could this be Noah or Asik?
JOHN
General Manager
And1: 90

Post#14 » by JOHN » Wed Jul 4, 2012 2:03 pm

^ They better know what that player is.

IF the Magic want some no nonsense guys Im sure the Bulls will come back with a package just like they did in late February early March.Chicago was in the mix since Hedo was informed back then about LA,New Jersey and Chicago NOT Dallas.Extension or no extension

Deng,Boozer/Noah,Gibson/Charlotte pick,any of the NG contracts

for Howard ,Turkoglou

then yes with such a trade you probably keep Asik and nobody scores more than 70 points on Thibodaeu's defense
qianlong
Starter
And1: 258

Post#15 » by qianlong » Wed Jul 4, 2012 2:17 pm

weneeda2guard wrote:

noah hands are better, his feet is better, he is better on the offensive glass and his intangibles far as heart hustle etc far out weights asik. he is a top 5 center in the league, which is a rare commodity. cant just trade him because houston pimp slapped us.

this is terrible because the bulls front office knew for 2 seasons that this day was coming that asik would get paid. and they understood the interest from other teams. why wouldnt they A. restructure a new deal before hand or B. move him either last off season or this off season for some scoring guards and pick some other 7ft ers from the draft? asik should have been moved this season on draft night. we could have at the worst gotten courtney lee and 1 of houston picks which we could have selected maybe fab melo and had thibs work on making him the next asik. but now we stuck with this decision on asik and still trying to sign courtney lee anyway.

worst part about all this, they are going to trade taj, on some "we learned our lesson with the asik thing" when taj is the one we really need to be keeping.

I think they couldn't restructure the contract because it had less than four years, some experts can confirm. They didn't trade him at the deadline because this year we were competing, and the possible incoming players were worse than him. Regarding the draft day it is probably the other teams that were not willing to trade for him when they could get him as a FA. The only possible mistake in Asik situation is his initial contract.
Ball don't lie
PJ Brown
Lead Assistant
And1: 84

Post#16 » by PJ Brown » Wed Jul 4, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't think it's correct to assume that Asik staying will determine Noah's future. This is not to suggest that I don't consider a $14 million season rather preposterous, but that they simply see frontcourt defense as one of their biggest advantages and that they're willing to pay for it, and the deal is only crazy for one year. My biggest concern would actually be the ability to re-sign Taj based on Asik's signing, as that's the more immediate obstacle. I'm not really decided about what I would do with Asik, however--I just think the Noah panic is a bit rash.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Post#17 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 2:49 pm

People need to stop suggesting a "sign & trade".

The most that the Bulls can sign him to is LESS than Houston already offered.

So there is no chance Omer signs a deal giving him less - and there is no way Houston gives assets for someone they can probably get for free
The gem cannot be polished without friction, nor man perfected without trials.
- -- Chinese proverb
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#18 » by transplant » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:02 pm

qianlong wrote:
weneeda2guard wrote:

I think they couldn't restructure the contract because it had less than four years, some experts can confirm. They didn't trade him at the deadline because this year we were competing, and the possible incoming players were worse than him. Regarding the draft day it is probably the other teams that were not willing to trade for him when they could get him as a FA. The only possible mistake in Asik situation is his initial contract.

Contracts of less than 4 years can't be extended.
http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q58

As you said, they didn't trade him because they had the best record in the league and were one of the teams expected to compete for the championship.

You couldn't trade him on draft day unless he had signed a contract. He wouldn't sign a contract because he expected (and has been proven correct) that another team would offer more than the Bulls could possibly offer.
MissileMike
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,010

Post#19 » by MissileMike » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:33 pm

I would rather have 5/5/15 than 8/8/8.... You pay less the first two years, and have a huge expiring in the 3rd, assuming you can move him. I think the bulls will match it.
Tommy Udo 6
Global Mod
Global Mod

Re: Asik Discussion (Part2) - POLL - Birthday 7/4 

Post#20 » by Tommy Udo 6 » Wed Jul 4, 2012 3:55 pm

I've created a poll.....

but I am still thinking what to choose.

I really dont know what Bulls will do -or what they should do.

i am so undecided......................

Return to Chicago Bulls