Image ImageImage Image

Official Derrick Rose Injury Progress Update Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Official Derrick Rose Injury Progress Update Thread 

Post#1481 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:27 pm

BigUps wrote:A picture speaks a thousand words. Rose is echoing the same statements that Thibs and the entire Bulls organization have been saying all along.

The Thibs version of the story: http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2013 ... cl-surgery
“If he’s ready,” the coach replied. “To me, it’s why we have taken the approach we have. There’s no timetable. It’s when he’s ready. We’re not measuring it against someone else’s timetable. This is Derrick. When he’s ready, he will go.”

Gar's version: http://blogs.suntimes.com/bulls/2013/01 ... _rose.html
"There is no end game in sight,'' Forman responded, when asked about the All-Star Game as being the date frequently thrown out there for a Rose return. "The next step was to get him on the floor where he's participating in practice and contact activities. So we're not skipping steps. Once we feel comfortable with that and our doctors feel comfortable, then we'll go to the next step. It's not about us being evasive with our answers.

"Everything has been planned out, in detail. That's why we're taking this step-by-step and not skipping steps. There's a process in place and we've never wanted to jump ahead.''

Pax's version: http://espn.go.com/chicago/nba/story/_/ ... t-practice
"We don't have the defined plan yet because Derrick is still progressing," Paxson said Friday on "The Waddle & Silvy Show" on ESPN 1000. "The way he feels and what his body tells him is going to dictate how we do things. But I can tell you one thing -- and this is for certain -- he's going to have to have a high volume of practices and contact, and where he's comfortable on the floor doing things that he used to do naturally. And that takes some time and he's just starting that process now.

"We can't sit here today and say he's going to be back in three weeks or after the All-Star break. Those things are a hope, but his body is going to tell us and then when we get to that point, that's when we're going to have to sit down and determine, after we talk to our doctors and everything, then determine our game plan of minutes and how best to bring him back. We don't want to bring him back and then have a setback because he wasn't totally ready. We want this to be a progression where he comes back, he starts to play and every week he gets better and feels better."

Reinsdorfs version (same link as above):
"There's no date," Reinsdorf said during an interview with WGN-TV on Monday. "The doctors say that he's doing everything that he's supposed to be doing and there's no specific date.

"He's not going to come back until the doctors say unequivocally that he has no greater chance of getting hurt than any other player. If there's any risk, he's not coming back."

Everyone's on the same page. Well, except for the fans who want a date.

Thanks for this BigUps!

Not to mention didn't the Dr that did his surgery say it is a 9-12 month recovery?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1482 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:37 pm

coldfish wrote:Recently, someone was calling Hinrich for being injury prone. Duck rightly pointed out that so far, Derrick Rose is orders of magnitude more injury prone.

Let's take a step back and look. When he came into the league, he had knee tendinitis. He also had a recurring toe problem. Last year was a catalog of different issues including a back problem that apparently has occurred before. The season before he had an ankle issue. This is all for a kid in his early 20's.

Note: There is a big difference between injury prone and pu$$y. Rose is tough as nails and has played through a number of those injuries.

So, let's look at that last quote on AP:
"My body just heals differently. I know it has a lot to do with rehabilitation and work ethic -- but I really credit my genetics for my recovery as much as anything else."

On the other hand, we have Derrick Rose. If he really is going to take 16 months or so to recover from this, on top of ALL of those past injury issues, you have to look at him as a piece of glass. I think fans are most definitely right to be upset and concerned about Rose taking longer than AP, Rubio and Shumpert. Its a trend.

Title winning superstars are guys like MJ and Lebron. They are made of steel. I can't think of any other A1 superstar that has had this type of injury history so early in his career. Its a recipe for a short and disappointing one.

He wasn't ever going to take 16 months to recover from his acl. The Dr. that did his surgery said it would take 9-12 months to recover.

So the fans that are upset are definitely overreacting considering we are in month 9 right now.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#1483 » by Rerisen » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:45 pm

coldfish wrote:On the other hand, we have Derrick Rose. If he really is going to take 16 months or so to recover from this, on top of ALL of those past injury issues, you have to look at him as a piece of glass.

Quote brings to mind a vision of Kevin Johnson, a super talented PG, but constantly plagued by injury. His career was essentially over at 31. Likewise, Baron Davis, last 'decent' year at 31, fell off being a star before that even.

Even in general, without being injury prone, I think short PGs reliant on athleticism may be prone to shorter primes than bigger players. That is why I always press the point that the Bulls can't be thinking they have like 10 years to be building teams around Rose.

Whenever Derrick gets back on the floor and back to 100%, from that point on to the next 3 years or so, are likely to be his peak seasons as a player. The time to win and start figuring how to put a great team around him is now, not 2016 when Rose will already be 28 and we are sitting waiting for Mirotic to develop his NBA game, or some rookie off the Charlotte pick. These are critical opportunity seasons with our superstar right now and in the immediate future.
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#1484 » by PMONSTER » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:58 pm

Ice Man wrote:
PMONSTER wrote:Rose wants to be 110% and people he's done for the year.

It's mid February and Rose said that he's "far far away" from being ready to return. Nothing unreasonable about thinking he might be done. Unless you are arguing that it's unreasonable to take Rose at face value.

No no no.

I meant to say "people think he's done for the year"

I believe that he's coming back almost right after all-star break, maybe in two weeks
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1485 » by blumeany » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:00 pm

I love how it's come to blurry cell phone video of Rose making a very, very casual spin move and layup. :lol:
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
imagge
Lead Assistant
And1: 687

Post#1486 » by imagge » Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:08 pm

We have to let him decide," Deng said. "He knows his body better than anybody. Everybody wants to see him back. You have to look at where we are as a team, how he’s feeling. For me, as someone who has been through injuries, I feel like you have to make a decision for yourself and how you feel and not so much on how everybody is pressuring you and what they’re saying.

Interesting quote from Deng particularly the bolded part. Where are the Bulls as a team contender or pretender and does that have a barring on Rose's camp decision?
pduh01
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,562

Post#1487 » by pduh01 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:33 pm

ahem!

John Paxson told @Jurko64 and @CarmenDeFalco Bulls will have 5-on-5 practices after break and Derrick Rose will take part.

Paxson said Derrick hasn't done 5-on-5 yet at all and said his practice time/play will determine road forward.

https://twitter.com/espnchijon

:D
Check out my blogs
http://nbaanalytical.blogspot.com/ <-------NBA Analytical

Listen to my podcast
https://anchor.fm/phillip93

Return to Chicago Bulls