Image ImageImage Image

A realistic look at 2014 FA and options

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

Bisonbull8
Banned User
And1: 335

Re: A realistic look at 2014 FA and options 

Post#261 » by Bisonbull8 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:38 pm

Bisonbull8 wrote:Boozer and Bulls 1st for Humphries and Marshon brooks.

Nets are pretty much stuck with their current team for the next 3-4 years unless they can somehow trade any of their bad salaries which I doubt they can. Might as well add another bad salary haha. But Boozer is better than Humphries IMO. They dont even use Marshon, so it wouldnt hurt them to let him go. Bulls shed like 1 million off salary for next year. Humphries is an expiring next year, so we wouldnt have to use our Amnesty on Boozer. Think about amnestying Taj.

I posted this in the Trade thread.

I think that is another Option we could do. Though looking at it, with Boozers contract going up the next few years, dont think the Nets would do that. But this is all hypothetical so oh well.

Do that trade, let Humphries walk next year, and I would also amnesty Taj. We would have a salary of 42 mil once Dengs contract is up too.

Even though Pacers will match everything, Offer Paul George a max contract. Re-sign Deng like 3yrs 30mil. Bring Mirotic over. Sign FA PF/Center and/or draft PF/C in the draft next year. Dont even know if this would work though salary wise with how cheap the Bulls are. Could they still be under the cap? Teague, Marshon, and Butler would all still be on rookie. Mirotic would be on rookie, plus vet min big or rookie contract big man.

Rose/Teague
George/Marshon
Deng/Butler
Mirotic/FA/Draft pick
Noah/FA/Draft pick

I love doing so many different scenarios even if they are just dreams and most likely would never happen.
kuly1990
Veteran
And1: 441

Post#262 » by kuly1990 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:43 pm

Bisonbull8 wrote:
Bisonbull8 wrote:Boozer and Bulls 1st for Humphries and Marshon brooks.

Nets are pretty much stuck with their current team for the next 3-4 years unless they can somehow trade any of their bad salaries which I doubt they can. Might as well add another bad salary haha. But Boozer is better than Humphries IMO. They dont even use Marshon, so it wouldnt hurt them to let him go. Bulls shed like 1 million off salary for next year. Humphries is an expiring next year, so we wouldnt have to use our Amnesty on Boozer. Think about amnestying Taj.

I

Do that trade, let Humphries walk next year, and I would also amnesty Taj. We would have a salary of 42 mil once Dengs contract is up too.

things you could read here :roll:
Saphir
Bench Warmer
And1: 129

Post#263 » by Saphir » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:47 pm

Bisonbull8 wrote:Do that trade, let Humphries walk next year, and I would also amnesty Taj. We would have a salary of 42 mil once Dengs contract is up too.

You can't amnesty contracts that became active after the start of the current CBA. The only contracts that are amnesty eligible on the Bulls belong to Carlos Boozer, Joakim Noah, and Luol Deng.
"And if Rose comes back and is 80% of himself, the Bulls become a pain in the ass" -Zach Lowe

Still rooting for wins, but losses aren't the worst thing in the world. Perhaps the optimal strategy is hoping the Blackhawks are on at the same time.
Bisonbull8
Banned User
And1: 335

Post#264 » by Bisonbull8 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:51 pm

To Kuly, all hypotheticals, I said none of it would probably even happen anyways.

Saphir wrote:
Bisonbull8 wrote:Do that trade, let Humphries walk next year, and I would also amnesty Taj. We would have a salary of 42 mil once Dengs contract is up too.

You can't amnesty contracts that became active after the start of the current CBA. The only contracts that are amnesty eligible on the Bulls belong to Carlos Boozer and Luol Deng.

Dang didnt realize that. Noah is always on the list BTW. Never mind on that Taj thing then.
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#265 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:18 am

TheBigSqueeze wrote:You guys are acting like Rose is already in his 30's, he's 24. 2-3 years from now he'll be 26-27 (his prime) and if he takes care of himself then I can see his prime lasting well into his 30's. Giving a draft prospect taken in 2013-2014 plenty of time to develop.

Squeeze, I believe that there's a fear from some that Rose's injury has shrank his window, in regards to his prime.
hammel123
Suspended
And1: 4

Post#266 » by hammel123 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:11 am

transplant wrote: If the "Cats continue to suck in 2014-15 AND 2015-16, the Bulls could have themselves a prize.

As for me, I believe that the Bobcats are going to suck for another couple seasons. I'd be willing to trade the pick, but only if it's valued as a top 5 pick in 2016.

NONSENSE, if the LolCatz still owe us a pick before '16 season, they simply sign some veterans on a 1-2 year contracts and get close to the playoffs in the weak east. The reason they suck is they choose to play young players and draft high. If they don't have a pick, the incentive is gone and they try to win as many games as possible for the tortured lolz fans.

The pick is 8-12 and that's what it is, there's is NO "prize"

The OP did a nice exhaustive job listing free agents, but he's looking in the wrong places. Follow NBA happenings, see which players are disgruntled, connections between players and which agents deal with the Bulls. Tellem is a go to guy for Reinsdort and he "gifted" us Boozer at a "discount" - hope he stays away.

So it's up Rose to recruit, how ironic, yes -- have to swallow your pride if you want to win. If we strike out on Eric Gordon (who recruited Rose to Illinois) it might get ugly for the next few years
BIGGIEsmalls 23
Banned User
And1: 810

Post#267 » by BIGGIEsmalls 23 » Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:22 am

hammel123 wrote:The OP did a nice exhaustive job listing free agents, but he's looking in the wrong places. Follow NBA happenings, see which players are disgruntled, connections between players and which agents deal with the Bulls.

Bingo.

It is now Rose's draft class & generation of NBA stars that will want to play with one another. The available players in 2010 looked at Rose like a rookie & outsider to their clique.
Action Paxson
Head Coach
And1: 63

Post#268 » by Action Paxson » Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:40 am

I'm inclined to follow the Spurs model. They never cashed in their assets, they were just patient, and have been relevant for over 15 years now. They were extremely lucky to get Ginobili and Parker. Let's hope we are similarly lucky with Mirotic. I just don't see a fix all trade. Our FO just needs to be opportunistic when a good player wears out his welcome somewhere.

I'm not sure how much it has been discussed in this thread, but I wouldn't say Kobe in 2014 is out of the question. The Lakers may be looking to do a rebuild at that point around Dwight. He's spoken very highly of Derrick in the past.

The question is, will Kobe retire and/or how big of a paycut will he take? The Lakers may be further away from contending and it may be in the best interest of both parties to separate.

Noah/Taj
Mirotic/Taj
Deng/Jimmy
Old Kobe/Jimmy
Rose/Teague

That would be fun. Would also be perfectly willing to let Deng walk if we could get Kobe at 2 years/$25M.

...dreaming
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder.
bullsballer
Sophomore
And1: 8

Post#269 » by bullsballer » Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:25 am

I think one of the main problems with this team is that management falls in love with players thinking they could really add something for this team, which may or may not be the case, but when the playoffs or some difficult team comes by, we see the truth. Reality is a b$tch!

Managment needs to learn to sell players while they are at a high trade value and consolidate a couple players for 1 real good player. For instance, if they could of dealt Hamilton and avoided the tax penalty, they probably would sign Nate and Marco for next year. This will not happen now, but Nate due to his scoring ability is a nice trade piece. Would Nate Robinson, Taj Gibson, and a future first round pick yield us someone like an Aaron Afflalo? Managment needs to mortgage the future a little bit in order to get a nice piece to add to the core of Rose, Deng, and Noah. Why have a 3 position deep team like we did last year and the year before that when rotations move down to 8-9 players in the playoffs?

This team isn't too far off from the Heat or Thunder, it is just that final piece which is always the hardest to get!
jmajew
Rookie
And1: 339

Post#270 » by jmajew » Mon Feb 25, 2013 1:57 pm

Deron Williams is the perfect example of the reason why when you have a top 10 talent you go all in. He is 28 years old now and is declining rapidly. You cannot take a player like that for granted when you have them and assume he will be as good as he is at this current point in time 2-3 years from now. You never know.

I think the 2014 plan sucks. I would either go heavily into lux tax territory or do everything in my power to recreate this team now. If you decide to go heavily into lux tax territory you either need to find a way to get JJ Reddick or OJ Mayo this offseason. Then you could have a pretty complete roster with Rose, JJ/OJ, Deng, Boozer, Noah, Gibson, Hinrich, Butler, Teague. This is what I would call the Mavericks plan.

The other option is to find teams that are under the Salary cap next year and try to dump both Deng and Boozer on them. I see 2 very good options for this. One is Cleveland and one is Charlotte. My guess is you may be able to get Cleveland to trade its first round pick in 2013 for both Deng and Boozer. It makes them a playoff team next year and still allows them the ability to make a run for a FA in 2014. Charlotte I believe we would be able to trade both Deng and Boozer to them for the first pick in this years draft. We may have to give them back their pick. This should also make Charlotte a playoff team. With this second option you would have roughly 14-16 mil in salary cap space this summer and an early lotto pick and the Bulls own pick. Here you would have a lot of options on what way we go.

Option 1 is the easist solution and the one most people are pining for. Option 2 is a bit riskier but has higher upside. Option 3 is the Bulls current plan which appears to be 2014. I do not know which is the best.

Return to Chicago Bulls