Image ImageImage Image

The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II - MERGED

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II - MERGED 

Post#1 » by kingkirk » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:16 am

Continue on.

Previous thread can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1251946&start=1485
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II 

Post#2 » by pylb » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Quick question, but why do people say he wants to play for the Bulls ? Did he specifically mention the Bulls before being drafted ?
Because anything he said afterwords is just PR talk.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#3 » by blumeany » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:54 pm

That was the word on the street when he was drafted. Supposedly he stayed in the draft because he knew the Bulls had interest and a chance to draft him. Of course, that was a few years ago, so things may have changed in terms of his outlook on playing in the NBA. Meaning, he may be willing to play for other teams now - should the Bulls decide to trade his rights.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
homie
Banned User
And1: 7

Post#4 » by homie » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:46 pm

Continue on :lol:
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#5 » by SpinninHouse » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm

This jabroni needs to come over ASAP.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#6 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:52 pm

pylb wrote:Quick question, but why do people say he wants to play for the Bulls ? Did he specifically mention the Bulls before being drafted ?

IIRC he said Bulls or Lakers before the draft. I think that and teams having to wait for him to come over is why he slid as far as he did.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#7 » by Ralphb07 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:27 pm

pylb wrote:Quick question, but why do people say he wants to play for the Bulls ? Did he specifically mention the Bulls before being drafted ?

They were only a few teams he was willing to play for and teams knew this. The Bulls happen to be one of them. This is the only reason he went 23rd or wherever he went. Teams knew he wasn't a given to come over. I remember hearing we traded up for him because OKC was looking to grab him. He just signed the big deal as well.

This is why in general people need not to look at where he was drafted and realize he was a top pick had he'd be willing to come over ASAP and to any team.

It also why it would be hard to trade his rights in a big deal. He may not come over if his rights were traded to say Minnesota.
Bluewaterheaven
Assistant Coach
And1: 664

Post#8 » by Bluewaterheaven » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:39 pm

He has been quoted saying he wants to play for only a specific amount of NBA teams, and the Bulls were one. He gets the Bulls stats sent to him, and he follows the team.

He seems quite interested in the team, which is a plus.
Unknown wrote:Dwarves laugh when they run because the grass tickles their balls.
MadMike
Banned User
And1: 114

Post#9 » by MadMike » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:13 am

The Bulls has a better chance of signing LeBron James than they do signing Mirotic for next season. Why would he give up so much money to sign w/ the Bulls? He's making about 4.7 mil per year, and Spain is talking about giving him an extension. If he signed w/ the Bulls he'd have to pay 3.4 mil to buyout his current contract. Either the Bulls would have to pay him Carlos Boozer type money (and he better be worth it) or they'll offer him a midlevel exception somewhere around 5.5 mil per year. He's left with 2.1 mil after buyout is paid. Why would he give up so much money to play in the NBA when he's got a good thing going in Spain?
WinCity
Banned User
And1: 1,688

Post#10 » by WinCity » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:28 am

MadMike wrote:The Bulls has a better chance of signing LeBron James than they do signing Mirotic for next season. Why would he give up so much money to sign w/ the Bulls? He's making about 4.7 mil per year, and Spain is talking about giving him an extension. If he signed w/ the Bulls he'd have to pay 3.4 mil to buyout his current contract. Either the Bulls would have to pay him Carlos Boozer type money (and he better be worth it) or they'll offer him a midlevel exception somewhere around 5.5 mil per year. He's left with 2.1 mil after buyout is paid. Why would he give up so much money to play in the NBA when he's got a good thing going in Spain?

See the previous thread regarding his long term potential earnings in the NBA vs Spain
MadMike
Banned User

Post#11 » by MadMike » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:45 am

WinCity wrote:
MadMike wrote:The Bulls has a better chance of signing LeBron James than they do signing Mirotic for next season. Why would he give up so much money to sign w/ the Bulls? He's making about 4.7 mil per year, and Spain is talking about giving him an extension. If he signed w/ the Bulls he'd have to pay 3.4 mil to buyout his current contract. Either the Bulls would have to pay him Carlos Boozer type money (and he better be worth it) or they'll offer him a midlevel exception somewhere around 5.5 mil per year. He's left with 2.1 mil after buyout is paid. Why would he give up so much money to play in the NBA when he's got a good thing going in Spain?

See the previous thread regarding his long term potential earnings in the NBA vs Spain

I read this article: http://www.sportingnews.com/nba/story/2 ... la-mirotic
WinCity
Banned User

Post#12 » by WinCity » Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:52 am

MadMike wrote:
WinCity wrote:

I took a quick look at it. They are not wrong that in the short term its likely he makes less in the NBA, however in the long term his potential earnings are much greater than in Spain. Thats why most top euro guys prefer to come here if they figure they have a chance at earning a big contract. Thats why Mirotic originally decided to enter the draft. He just has to take a 3 year NBA deal first and then after that his potential earnings skyrocket.
MadMike
Banned User

Post#13 » by MadMike » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:10 am

WinCity wrote:
MadMike wrote:
WinCity wrote:

I took a quick look at it. They are not wrong that in the short term its likely he makes less in the NBA, however in the long term his potential earnings are much greater than in Spain. Thats why most top euro guys prefer to come here if they figure they have a chance at earning a big contract. Thats why Mirotic originally decided to enter the draft. He just has to take a 3 year NBA deal first and then after that his potential earnings skyrocket.

His earnings will skyrocket only if he's plays well enough to be in demand. This is the new NBA, and owners are no longer giving huge contracts to mid-level players.
If Mirotic signs an extension w/ Spain he is liable to make more than he current 4.7 mil per year. If he signs a mid-level contract he'd make around the same playing for the NBA and then there's the taxes he'd have to pay, and the living conditions which is much higher living in the US. so I don't see why he would risk the move.
Besides, if he signs a short contract w/ the Bulls he could end up going into FA before he has reached his full potential in the NBA, and the Bulls lose him for nothing like Omer Asik.
WinCity
Banned User

Post#14 » by WinCity » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:31 am

MadMike wrote:
WinCity wrote:

His earnings will skyrocket only if he's plays well enough to be in demand. This is the new NBA, and owners are no longer giving huge contracts to mid-level players.
If Mirotic signs an extension w/ Spain he is liable to make more than he current 4.7 mil per year. If he signs a mid-level contract he'd make around the same playing for the NBA and then there's the taxes he'd have to pay, and the living conditions which is much higher living in the US. so I don't see why he would risk the move.
Besides, if he signs a short contract w/ the Bulls he could end up going into FA before he has reached his full potential in the NBA, and the Bulls lose him for nothing like Omer Asik.

Sure, he can always stay over there be satisfied with less career earnings, but still rich. However, he already showed his intentions by entering the draft and no Euro player makes a ton on thier first contract. I think it will work out fine.

As for the resigning him we would hold his bird rights so we can choose to match. He also indicated he wants to play for the Bulls only and thats why we nabbed him in the first place. So more than likely we would get him.

Dont be so pessimistic dude.
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#15 » by gstephanopulos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:40 am

I'm pretty sure that living in USA is cheaper and he could save on taxes also. And him coming to the NBA might mean much more money than he's ever gonna get in Spain. Fact of that matter is no one is paying him 15mil$/year in Europe in 10 years but he can get that much in US. Also if he pans out and becomes a star he can make of sponsorships. So money-wise playing for the Bulls is much more profitable in a long run.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#16 » by veji1 » Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:16 pm

MadMike wrote:
WinCity wrote:

As others have said, the "earining potential" is an important aspect. Mirotic is 22, turning 23, arguably already the best player in Europe (or close to) and certainly its best young player. He already has earned a lot and his chances of being a total bust, ie basketball earning carreer tanking is nil barring a carreer ending injuyr. The very worst scenario for him ? a rudy fernandez typoe of carreer where it doesn't pan out in the US and he comes back to be a star player in Europe.

So for him to make big bucks in the NBA, the sooner he has done his 3 years the better. But of course he will want to be well paid. This is why I can see an end deal somewhere around 3/20-24.
Gray Poster
Bench Warmer
And1: 94

Post#17 » by Gray Poster » Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:09 pm

If Nikola is really making 3.5 M euros, then the Bulls are going to have to put up a big offer. That is a lot for a guy who was to be a third wheel and it is way more than I thought he would be making. I thought he would have been around 1.5-2M euros, but Real Madrid has a ton of cash, I guess.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#18 » by blumeany » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:16 pm

If Mirotic is smart, he'll sign a 2 year deal a la Asik. He's seen what Asik was able to make on the free market when his contract came up. So, he does the Bulls a solid for their cap by taking less for years 1 and 2. Assuming he isn't a total bust, he can then cash in in year 3 - either with the Bulls or someone else.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
bad knees
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,805

Post#19 » by bad knees » Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 pm

According to the article, at today's exchange rates, Mirotic is making $4.4 million per year and has a $3.4 million buyout, of which the Bulls can pay $625,000. In order to get Mirotic to leave, the Bulls are going to have to:

1. Offer at least the full MLE at $5.1 million per year.
2. Take advantage of the signing bonus provision to provide Mirotic with a pile of cash that would enable him to pay off the buyout clause. With the signing bonus provision, Mirotic can get up to 15% of his total salary up front. A 4 year, full MLE generates a total payment of about $22 million. 15% of 22 million is 3.3 million, which would enable Mirotic to pay off the $2.775 million buyout this summer.
3. When you take into account the $2.775 million buyout, that's about $700,000 per year over four years. Subtract that from his MLE salary, and you get $4.4 million as an NBA salary, which is what he is making in Spain now. So an MLE contract essentially pays him what he is being paid in Spain. I am not sure how taxes fit into this. This also could change if Mirotic and the Bulls could negotiate a lower buyout with Real Madrid.

All of the Melo optimization scenarios have Mirotic coming over for the MLE. Given that doing so would essentially be a financial wash for Mirotic, it will be interesting to see whether he wants to come anyway, or whether the Bulls are going to have to choose between Melo and Mirotic.
IvgenyIAS
Senior
And1: 115

Post#20 » by IvgenyIAS » Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:10 pm

I'll be extremely surprised if Real actually pays Mirotic 3.5 million Euro per year, that would make him one of the highest (if not the highest) paid players in Europe and he signed his current deal almost 3 years ago when he was nowhere as good as he is now. To be honest, I doubt even Rudy Fernandez earns that much and he was their star NBA signing a couple of years ago.

Obviously, I don't have the details of his deal so I might be totally wrong (and you can never know with Real and Barca) but I think he earns something around 1.5-2 million Euro per year.

Return to Chicago Bulls