Image ImageImage Image

The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II - MERGED

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Re: The Nikola Mirotic Thread pt II - MERGED 

Post#961 » by NDave79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:13 pm

fleet wrote:My initial impression was why nobody ever compared him to Antawn Jamison. I didn't know much about him at the time. But could be. Taller though. Probably a degree better 3 point shooter. And will have better defensive stats.

My memory might just be hazy, but I can't recall Jamison doing nearly as much stuff attacking the rim off the bounce where he is equally likely to score (or get fouled) or find the open man. When I think of Jamison, I think of assisted outside jumpers and a game from about 12 feet and in that consists of post ups and, awkward leaners and off balanced shots (which he was quite comfortable with).
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#962 » by madvillian » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:26 pm

NDave79 wrote:
fleet wrote:My initial impression was why nobody ever compared him to Antawn Jamison. I didn't know much about him at the time. But could be. Taller though. Probably a degree better 3 point shooter. And will have better defensive stats.

My memory might just be hazy, but I can't recall Jamison doing nearly as much stuff attacking the rim off the bounce where he is equally likely to score (or get fouled) or find the open man. When I think of Jamison, I think of assisted outside jumpers and a game from about 12 feet and in that consists of post ups and, awkward leaners and off balanced shots (which he was quite comfortable with).

Young Jamison was completely different than old Jamison. It's an awful comparison anyways as Jamison was an undersized three/four tweener that never really had a position he could effectively guard. Niko has good size for a 4 and can even play some 5.

Eventually he'll be able to guard most 4s and some 5s. That's a far cry from Jamison, who was undersized against most 4s and overquicked by most 3s.

Now, Jamison was a very good scorer, but that's all he really was. He was valuable in his prime as a guy you could tell to "go get buckets" and he would. In the end of his career he was pretty much a spot up guy that retained some of his craftiness around the basket as his athleticism faded.

Niko will probably never score as well as Jamison in his peak, but he will provide more overall value, just because in a couple years he should be a solid defender and a pretty damn good rebounder. He's already a solid rebounder, something Jamison never was.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NDave79
Sixth Man

Post#963 » by NDave79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 pm

madvillian wrote:
NDave79 wrote:

Young Jamison was completely different than old Jamison.

Yeah, I guess I didn't see to much of Jamison's early years.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#964 » by fleet » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:29 pm

NDave79 wrote:

You probably make accurate observations. No players are that comparable. They are all giant snowflakes. He had some expansion range at differnt career points. Mirotic should be a better rim attacker and you can run some offense through him as well. It is hard to find all encompassing comparisons.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#965 » by madvillian » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:42 pm

Personally I still think that Dirk is the best Mirotic comparison.

He has literally a 1% chance to ever be as good as Dirk but as far as their skillset, it's pretty damn similar IMO. 80% of Dirk is still a helluva player, an All-Star, and I think that Mirotic will have seasons where he puts up 20/8/3 and makes an All-Star team.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
NDave79
Sixth Man

Post#966 » by NDave79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:51 pm

fleet wrote:
NDave79 wrote:

You probably make accurate observations. No players are that comparable. They are all giant snowflakes. He had some expansion range at differnt career points. Mirotic should be a better rim attacker and you can run some offense through him as well. It is hard to find all encompassing comparisons.

Well if by some chance I am correct in this situation (not saying that I am), then it only makes us even due to my stance that McDermott had figured out Thibodeau's defense in preseason.
Jstock12
RealGM
And1: 17,289

Post#967 » by Jstock12 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 10:45 pm

madvillian wrote:Personally I still think that Dirk is the best Mirotic comparison.

He has literally a 1% chance to ever be as good as Dirk but as far as their skillset, it's pretty damn similar IMO. 80% of Dirk is still a helluva player, an All-Star, and I think that Mirotic will have seasons where he puts up 20/8/3 and makes an All-Star team.

Somewhere in between Bargnani and Dirk is very doable.
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#968 » by bullsRlife » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:04 pm

Flopper wrote:
bullsRlife wrote:
logical_art wrote:The guy rebounds suprising well for a thinish, non leaping perimeter player.

Heart, hustle, and soon to be some added muscle in the off season. The guy is scrappy as hell, and never scared.

He rebounds well because he's mobile and has really long arms. He also had some excellent closeouts and contests on Aldridge last night and was able to maintain position in the post (unlike some guy who's supposed to be DPOY). He's shaping up to be a very versatile piece and definitely shouldn't be looked at strictly as an offensive role player,

Yeah he's gonna be a beast.
Evil_Headband
Starter
And1: 897

Post#969 » by Evil_Headband » Sat Nov 22, 2014 11:42 pm

The Ryan Anderson comparison that has been made seems most apt to me. Maybe Mirotic''s a bit quicker and Anderson's a bit of a better shooter but that's basically what the Bulls have here.
TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer
And1: 366

Post#970 » by TheGameChanger » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:08 am

Upgraded Ryan Anderson is the perfect comparison in my book.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#971 » by logical_art » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:12 am

He's much more talented than Ryan Andreson. I'd be disappointed if that's how he turns out.
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#972 » by Bulls69 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 am

madvillian wrote:Personally I still think that Dirk is the best Mirotic comparison.

To be honest I remember Dirk sucking his first few years in the NBA I never like to compare players because it's not fair to Mirotic
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#973 » by GimmeDat » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:26 am

Ryan Anderson was the sort of comparison I had in terms of production before he came over, though I do think there's a few stylistic differences to their games.

He's his own player, but I think it's fair to say he's what Bargnani should have been. He's definitely not soft, that's for sure, and his rebounding has been really impressive.

Got a ways to go, but the promise is undeniable. He's playing simple, fundamental basketball and putting points up with ease, and I still feel he has more offensive versatility up his sleeve for him to refine and put into practice.
ReturnofMVP3
RealGM
And1: 11,580

Post#974 » by ReturnofMVP3 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 3:14 am

Added this guy to my fantasy team last night. Hoping he can keep up production with his expected minute increase.
Donald Trump is an idiot.
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#975 » by Leto » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:02 pm

He has impressed me with his ability to shoot and create off the dribble. He seems to have great court awareness and has shown he looks to find his team mates when he gets into the lane diming Taj and others for lay ups and dunks.

What he has to do is stop gambling so much on defense. He seems to have pretty good quickness, so I think he'll be fine guarding PFs. He must get stronger--and he will.

I can see why the FO is so exicted about Niko because I love the guy.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#976 » by pb-ceo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:10 pm

I like his toughness. he's what they call a bad mofo. and that's a good thing. he's got a nasty streak in him. he's a don't mess with player. competitive as hell. talent. garpax done real good.
PowerBull
Bench Warmer
And1: 34

Post#977 » by PowerBull » Sun Nov 23, 2014 4:13 pm

No Rashard Lewies camparisons when he was with the Sonics?
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#978 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:46 pm

Bulls69 wrote:

To be honest I remember Dirk sucking his first few years in the NBA I never like to compare players because it's not fair to Mirotic

Dirk never "sucked" his first few years in the NBA. A 15 second google search could have told you that, come on now..

Sent from my LG-LS980 using RealGM Forums mobile app
wonderboy2
Analyst
And1: 1,949

Post#979 » by wonderboy2 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:53 pm

I watched alot of Mirotic over the past 2 years. I warned this board multiple times over the summer about Mirotic ability. I repeated over and over that Mirotic is a quicker Ryan Anderson with better handle. i also said that Miroric is better than Mcdermott and people wanted my head for that. People on here was saying that Mirotic was slow and that he was not a good ball-handler. All i could do was smh because I knew people was just going off stereotypes and had not watch him play. I hope the majority of the posters on this board learn from thier mistakes by ACTUALY WATCHING a player play before making thier opinion.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#980 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:07 am

The only concern I ever had with Niko, early on (and before I had watched much film) was his size at the 4. However, he seems to be managing just fine on the boards, and he is only going to get stronger as he keeps hitting the weights. I'm all in on continuing his development at an accelerated pace. Niko could be the offensive weapon the Bulls are lacking with Rose on the bench. The faster he becomes comfortable the less reliant the Bulls are on Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls