Image ImageImage Image

bad boys: 30 for 30

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Re: bad boys: 30 for 30 

Post#41 » by TheStig » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:36 pm

ryan44 wrote:
dice wrote:and kids today think the heat are hate-able. psssh

Both are hate-able, but I respected the "Bad Boys" Pistons way more than the Heat. I don't recall the Pistons flopping left-and-right while constantly whining to the refs when the call didn't go their way after getting the previous 10 calls.

They did what they had to in order to win but its hard to respect guys going out there with the intention of taking someone out. These weren't love taps. Watch any Bulls vs Pistons clip from that era and most non calls would be flagrant and suspensions now a days.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#42 » by Michael Jackson » Wed Apr 16, 2014 11:45 pm

chadrucf wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
Eduardo wrote:how the hell can you have more respect for guys who were taking dangerous cheap shots on MJ? they could have seriously injured him for gods sake. pretty ridiculous IMO

What Dwight's hard fouls on Rose weren't the same?

No. Not even remotely.

Granted much less frequent than what the pistons and the Knicks put out he twice headhunter Derrick.
Eduardo
Banned User
And1: 633

Post#43 » by Eduardo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:18 am

TheStig wrote:
ryan44 wrote:

Both are hate-able, but I respected the "Bad Boys" Pistons way more than the Heat. I don't recall the Pistons flopping left-and-right while constantly whining to the refs when the call didn't go their way after getting the previous 10 calls.

They did what they had to in order to win but its hard to respect guys going out there with the intention of taking someone out. These weren't love taps. Watch any Bulls vs Pistons clip from that era and most non calls would be flagrant and suspensions now a days.

but.. but... LEBRON JAMES@!#!#!#!
[e]
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#44 » by [e] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:23 am

Benedict Miller wrote:Lebron cries about hard fouls now, I can't imagine how he'd feel against the Detroit Bad Boys.

Was going to post something like this. NBA is SOFT compared to the Bad Boys era. Come into the paint and you were getting put on your ass. Make those plays today and you're getting kicked out of the game.
TheStig
RealGM

Post#45 » by TheStig » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:30 am

Eduardo wrote:
TheStig wrote:
ryan44 wrote:Both are hate-able, but I respected the "Bad Boys" Pistons way more than the Heat. I don't recall the Pistons flopping left-and-right while constantly whining to the refs when the call didn't go their way after getting the previous 10 calls.

but.. but... LEBRON JAMES@!#!#!#!

I don't like flopping but its a strategic basketball play that doesn't put people in harms way. Clothes lining someone or gang tackling on the basketball court is done with the intention to hurt someone.
Michael Jackson
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 10,213

Post#46 » by Michael Jackson » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:37 am

[e] wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:Lebron cries about hard fouls now, I can't imagine how he'd feel against the Detroit Bad Boys.

Was going to post something like this. NBA is SOFT compared to the Bad Boys era. Come into the paint and you were getting put on your ass. Make those plays today and you're getting kicked out of the game.

That being said Kebron would have done fine in that era. He would have been physical enough. He uses the flop because it is gamenship, anything to win. It is more of an indictment of the NBA than it is Lebron. In the better high def era where we watch and rewatch every angle he couldn't get away with Jordan's nut punches and knees to thigh. That isn't why Jordan is the greatest but he had his gamenship too. Lebron like wilt like magic would be a great in any era. Jordan though is clearly the goat. Like Ruth. MJ was perfection. Or as close to it as it comes. No reason to ever hate on other players though because he stands alone.
[e]
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#47 » by [e] » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:03 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
[e] wrote:

That being said Kebron would have done fine in that era. He would have been physical enough. He uses the flop because it is gamenship, anything to win. It is more of an indictment of the NBA than it is Lebron. In the better high def era where we watch and rewatch every angle he couldn't get away with Jordan's nut punches and knees to thigh. That isn't why Jordan is the greatest but he had his gamenship too. Lebron like wilt like magic would be a great in any era. Jordan though is clearly the goat. Like Ruth. MJ was perfection. Or as close to it as it comes. No reason to ever hate on other players though because he stands alone.

I agree, I wasn't really pointing to just LeBron. Just in general, today's NBA is soft compared to MJ era. Most players would be able to adjust to the game - or adjust their games to the way the game is played.
moohair88
Junior
And1: 75

Post#48 » by moohair88 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:56 am

anyone have a l i nk to this?
chadrucf
RealGM
And1: 5,015

Post#49 » by chadrucf » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:40 am

Michael Jackson wrote:
chadrucf wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:What Dwight's hard fouls on Rose weren't the same?

No. Not even remotely.

Granted much less frequent than what the pistons and the Knicks put out he twice headhunter Derrick.

Sorry, but those fouls were not cheap shots meant to injure an opponent. They were just fouls.
Space Indaver
Junior
And1: 135

Post#50 » by Space Indaver » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:59 pm

Does this sort of thing end up on NBA TV/League Pass at some point? Probably not...
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,752

Post#51 » by Jeffster81 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:02 pm

Dennis Rodman, James Edwards and John Salley were all part of the 72 win season. Only Rodman was contributing but still there was a mini "Bad Boy" reunion on the Bulls. LOL.
LGhost
Rookie
And1: 57

Post#52 » by LGhost » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:02 pm

This starts in a hour on ESPN. (7 central)
DRoseCantStop
RealGM
And1: 3,371

Post#53 » by DRoseCantStop » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:17 pm

I'll be watching it.
Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Post#54 » by Sonny Carson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:16 am

ryan44 wrote:

To be fair...

The Heat beat the Bulls at their own game....twice. LeBron physically smothered Rose.

So beside the theatrics I'm not sure its fair to act like the Heat were "soft"
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#55 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:44 am

So much quality go into these 30 for 30s...love them.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Sonny Carson
Head Coach
And1: 3,726

Post#56 » by Sonny Carson » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:47 am

[e] wrote:
Michael Jackson wrote:
[e] wrote:Was going to post something like this. NBA is SOFT compared to the Bad Boys era. Come into the paint and you were getting put on your ass. Make those plays today and you're getting kicked out of the game.

I agree, I wasn't really pointing to just LeBron. Just in general, today's NBA is soft compared to MJ era. Most players would be able to adjust to the game - or adjust their games to the way the game is played.

People forget...imagine if LeBron was in an era where he could hit back? Do people realize the damage he could done in that time?
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM

Post#57 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:48 am

See, this is why although I don't like them, they get my respect. Every player on the team pretty much saying they accepted the bad guy role, fed off it, and in the end even enjoyed. They didn't try to hide who they were, and embraced it.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
TheStig
RealGM

Post#58 » by TheStig » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:04 am

Very good so far but where is my dynasty Bulls 30 for 30?
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM

Post#59 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:17 am

Say what you want, but the Pistons took the time to strategically tear down the greatest player of all time in his freaking prime. Some serious dedication to put this plan in motion.

It wasn't just the beating his ass part, the defense, the rotations, everything was perfect to specifically shut Jordan down. I bet to this day, that still pisses MJ off knowing he could never take THAT Detroit down as well as the 91 team.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#60 » by Benedict Miller » Fri Apr 18, 2014 1:30 am

Thibs = Chuck Daly without hair.

Return to Chicago Bulls