Image ImageImage Image

OT: Mayweather vs Maidana

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

ManualRam
RealGM
And1: 2,748

Re: OT: Mayweather vs Maidana 

Post#141 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 8:48 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:Total punches: Mayweather 230-426,
Maidana 221-858.

Power punches: Mayweather 178-275, Maidana 185-540.

That Michael Jordan like efficiency right there.

That's all you need to know. Maidina fought desperate and it showed. Mayweather wore his opponent down like he always does and is still unbeaten.

I don't get the Mayweather hate. He's a once-in-a-lifetime fighter and is a huge draw. So what if he's flashy and egotistical, he has a reason to be.

not really. you don't score punchstats. you score the rounds. maidana didn't fight desperate. he fought like he normally does: pressure and lots of punches.

mayweather gets hated cuz he's a dick who's pulled a lot of bitch moves throughout his career.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#142 » by CjayC » Sun May 4, 2014 8:49 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:6 years later Mayweather still doesn't wanna fight Pacman lol. If that's not his next fight, can we officially say he's scared?

Nope. But we can officially say you don't know or either willfully choose to ignore the business side of boxing.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#143 » by Red Larrivee » Sun May 4, 2014 8:59 pm

ManualRam wrote:not really. you don't score punchstats. you score the rounds. maidana didn't fight desperate. he fought like he normally does: pressure and lots of punches.

mayweather gets hated cuz he's a dick who's pulled a lot of bitch moves throughout his career.

A lot of punches that don't land is fighting desperate. He gave Floyd a good fight though, especially in the earlier rounds.

If you care about stuff like that, cool. All I see is a boxer who hasn't lost a fight and is the best of his generation. If he retired tomorrow, boxing suffers.
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#144 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 9:06 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
ManualRam wrote:not really. you don't score punchstats. you score the rounds. maidana didn't fight desperate. he fought like he normally does: pressure and lots of punches.

A lot of punches that don't land is fighting desperate. He gave Floyd a good fight though, especially in the earlier rounds.

If you care about stuff like that, cool. All I see is a boxer who hasn't lost a fight and is the best of his generation. If he retired tomorrow, boxing suffers.

if that is normally how he fights then its not fighting desperately. that is his style.

i'm just saying why floyd gets hated. it should be pretty obvious why he gets hate. appreciating greatness is one thing, finding an athlete's actions/character off-putting is another.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
Sever82
Veteran
And1: 47

Post#145 » by Sever82 » Sun May 4, 2014 9:24 pm

ManualRam wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

if that is normally how he fights then its not fighting desperately. that is his style.

i'm just saying why floyd gets hated. it should be pretty obvious why he gets hate. appreciating greatness is one thing, finding an athlete's actions/character off-putting is another.

I find comments like this funny, can boxing fans imagine how many people would hate Ali nowadays? With social media, twitter, Facebook, etc, People would find Ali more annoying than Floyd. But yet the same people who hate on Floyd, are the same ones who call Ali the greatest. Comical
Frank Vogel (Pacer's Coach) on Derrick Rose: "Iverson's Speed, Jason Kidd's Vision, Chauncey Billups Shot and Michael Jordans Athleticism."
ManualRam
RealGM

Post#146 » by ManualRam » Sun May 4, 2014 9:40 pm

Sever82 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

I find comments like this funny, can boxing fans imagine how many people would hate Ali nowadays? With social media, twitter, Facebook, etc, People would find Ali more annoying than Floyd. But yet the same people who hate on Floyd, are the same ones who call Ali the greatest. Comical

ali was divisive, mainly because of his political views but as a public figure he was eloquent, witty, naturally charismatic, poetic at times even. he was a natural in front of the mic. floyd is none of those things. he doesn't have the likability, ability to articulate or charisma of an ali which is why he had to market himself as a villain.

oh and ali didn't avoid anybody. people tend to like that.

fwiw imo, no, he's not the greatest.
idontgiveashtaboutmelo
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#147 » by logical_art » Sun May 4, 2014 9:44 pm

Sever82 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Nah, as far as I know, Ali didn't do things like beat women, excessively flaunt his wealth and question why he should give money to poor Africans.

Floyd is just a dislikable person period. Add in his tendency to duck legitimate competition, unlike Ali, and he's an unlikable fighter. A very skilled fighter, but an unlikable one both in and out of the ring.

Edit: Don't forget the sucker punch KO and then this whole fiasco where he threatened to cancel the fight if Maidana didn't wear pillows.

Honestly I have no idea how he has fans.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#148 » by Benedict Miller » Mon May 5, 2014 12:17 am

CjayC wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:6 years later Mayweather still doesn't wanna fight Pacman lol. If that's not his next fight, can we officially say he's scared?

Nope. But we can officially say you don't know or either willfully choose to ignore the business side of boxing.

Help me understand your point of the business side, enlighten me. What's better business than getting your biggest pay day ever? Can you or anybody answer this? That's what I thought, don't give me that bs.
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#149 » by Benedict Miller » Mon May 5, 2014 2:07 am

logical_art wrote:
Sever82 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:if that is normally how he fights then its not fighting desperately. that is his style.

Nah, as far as I know, Ali didn't do things like beat women, excessively flaunt his wealth and question why he should give money to poor Africans.

Floyd is just a dislikable person period. Add in his tendency to duck legitimate competition, unlike Ali, and he's an unlikable fighter. A very skilled fighter, but an unlikable one both in and out of the ring.

Edit: Don't forget the sucker punch KO and then this whole fiasco where he threatened to cancel the fight if Maidana didn't wear pillows.

Honestly I have no idea how he has fans.

I respect the work he puts into his craft, that part should be admirable, but how he conducts himself out of the ring is bad for young men who grow up idolizing him. Look at the monster that he's created in Broner. A clown.
Salo23
Sixth Man
And1: 415

Post#150 » by Salo23 » Mon May 5, 2014 5:58 am

If gloves don't make any difference then why did Floyd threaten to pull out of the fight? That in itself proves the type of gloves DOES make a difference otherwise Floyd wouldn't have protested so adamantly over it.

The best chance for Maidana to win was this first fight with his punchers gloves. As we know Floyd eventually figured out Maidana's style and did much better the second half of the fight. Floyd will win more decisively in the rematch as he won't need to feel out his opponent from the start and the gloves won't make as much of a difference in the 2nd fight because Maidana won't land nearly as many punches as he did the first time around. Then Floyd can say "I told you gloves don't matter" and cover up his punk move dictating gloves the first time.
We are missing a lot of layups right now as a team, and that is on me... It’s my job to make sure we’re ready to make our layups." - Thibodeau.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#151 » by CjayC » Mon May 5, 2014 1:54 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:
CjayC wrote:

Help me understand your point of the business side, enlighten me. What's better business than getting your biggest pay day ever? Can you or anybody answer this? That's what I thought, don't give me that bs.

The business side is that the hate runs deep between The Golden Boy/Floyd and Bob Arum enough so that they've rarely done business with each other in any kind of capacity. The business side is that one guy is still setting revenue records while the other doesn't even release his PPV #'s. The business side is that one guy fights different opponents, while the other fights the same guys over and over. Enjoy burying your head in the sand though and pretending it doesn't take two.
jamesdiego
Junior
And1: 9

Post#152 » by jamesdiego » Tue May 6, 2014 4:23 am

CjayC wrote:The business side is that the hate runs deep between The Golden Boy/Floyd and Bob Arum enough so that they've rarely done business with each other in any kind of capacity. The business side is that one guy is still setting revenue records while the other doesn't even release his PPV #'s. The business side is that one guy fights different opponents, while the other fights the same guys over and over. Enjoy burying your head in the sand though and pretending it doesn't take two.

Let's continue on that: The business side is one guy picking slow/ flat footed fighters who don't stand any chance against his speed. The business side is a guy running away from tough fights to keep the 0 on his record. The business side is having his lackey Schaefer cry about Arum's business practices as a way to cover him not wanting any piece of Arum's fighters. The business side is one guy really killing boxing by not giving the fans the true fight that they have been begging for years.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,703

Post#153 » by jc23 » Tue May 6, 2014 4:36 am

Sever82 wrote:
ManualRam wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Ali was one of the most charismatic people to have ever lived. where as floyd is obnoxious and nowhere near as quick witted as young Ali/Clay. Majority of people would love prime Ali today.

Im a floyd fan btw, once he retires boxing is going to die a slow death. and when i say im a fan im a fan of him in the ring.
Be curious, Not judgmental
PMONSTER
Head Coach
And1: 1,301

Post#154 » by PMONSTER » Tue May 6, 2014 4:40 am

jamesdiego wrote:
CjayC wrote:The business side is that the hate runs deep between The Golden Boy/Floyd and Bob Arum enough so that they've rarely done business with each other in any kind of capacity. The business side is that one guy is still setting revenue records while the other doesn't even release his PPV #'s. The business side is that one guy fights different opponents, while the other fights the same guys over and over. Enjoy burying your head in the sand though and pretending it doesn't take two.

Let's continue on that: The business side is one guy picking slow/ flat footed fighters who don't stand any chance against his speed. The business side is a guy running away from tough fights to keep the 0 on his record. The business side is having his lackey Schaefer cry about Arum's business practices as a way to cover him not wanting any piece of Arum's fighters. The business side is one guy really killing boxing by not giving the fans the true fight that they have been begging for years.

So it takes two.... :dontknow:

There is only one person Floyd needs to fight.... Pac-Man has 4
NBA Playoffs.... I can never wait!
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#155 » by Benedict Miller » Tue May 6, 2014 5:04 am

CjayC wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:
CjayC wrote:

The business side is that the hate runs deep between The Golden Boy/Floyd and Bob Arum enough so that they've rarely done business with each other in any kind of capacity. The business side is that one guy is still setting revenue records while the other doesn't even release his PPV #'s. The business side is that one guy fights different opponents, while the other fights the same guys over and over. Enjoy burying your head in the sand though and pretending it doesn't take two.

Sounds more like a personal grudge than actual business. Even enemies at times partake in business transactions for the love of the almighty $. Again what's better business than getting your biggest pay day ever? I'm still waiting on that answer. I'm not Team Mayweather, I don't understand their ways I'm a bit slow. :crazy:
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#156 » by Tenchi Ryu » Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:16 pm

Mayweather vs Manny getting some steam!!!

Everybody is down, HBO and Showtime ready to make a deal, Pac has done what Floyd has asked...just need Floyd's green light.

[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Post#157 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Still think Rousey/Cyborg fight will happen before Ducky/Pac.
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#158 » by bullsRlife » Mon Nov 24, 2014 9:35 pm

Wait, did duck boy come out of his shell yet? Guess not, he's still scared. :nonono:
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#159 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:54 am

Floyd's trying to find an excuse not to fight. Just wait for it.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,621

Post#160 » by dougthonus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 am

Benedict Miller wrote:Floyd's trying to find an excuse not to fight. Just wait for it.

He certainly might, it feels like this wouldn't be the megafight it would have been a couple years ago with Pacman losing some luster. Still would likely break the bank though.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter

Return to Chicago Bulls