Image ImageImage Image

Webber: Melo Run from the Bulls

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Re: Webber: Melo Run from the Bulls 

Post#141 » by jumpmanjay » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:09 pm

TheStig wrote:
Fischella wrote:Webber has a point about Thibs, he just lost it speaking about McHale after that.

But hey, I won't bet my championship hopes on Rose's knees and Anthony will be doing that if he forces his way to Chicago.

It does not seem to be a wise move, especailly after being stuck with Amare for 2 seasons.

If I'm Anthony, I opt in and wait for 2015 FA where there will be many more options and everything will be clearer for him, regarding the Bulls and Rose, Houston, LeBron or even LA, and of course the Knicks situation.

Could the Knicks get LeBron in 2015 if LeBron does the same move as Carmelo, opt in?

Doesn't sound bad as a strategy.

I don't think Thibs is a bad offensive coach. He has to play the players he has. Loul Deng, John Lucas, DJ, and Nate have enjoyed their best years under Thibs. Hell, he designed an offensive system built around Joakim Noah! Joakim Noah, a guy who can't post up and can barely hit a shot looked like Vlade Divac last year. The only guys who look better outside of Chicago were Korver and Marco. And Marco just looks better because he is on the Spurs.

When Rose was healthy, we had the #5 and #11 offense. Last year Joakim Noah as the center piece of our offense. I don't think Thibs gets enough credit for playing to his players strengths.

I thought it was interesting- Marco barely played in the finals.

That's the difference between the Bulls and Spurs. One of our greatest ball-handlers could barely get on the court for the Spurs.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,308

Post#142 » by Stratmaster » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:15 pm

jl342323 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:I have to agree with him about Thibs lack of offensive savvy. I have been saying that for 3 seasons now. Had the Bulls done what I suggested back then, and got an offensive minded assistant coach, they wouldn't have this concern.

You really think a control freak like thibs would delegate 50% of basketball to an assistant? No way dude. No way.

Back when Dantoni was the HC for the suns, he had an opportunity to hire thibs as one of his assistant. D antoni rejected it because he knew their difference in how they approached the game.

Its same with thibs.

I fear you are correct. It would have had to have been done on the front end. Now that Thibs has been anointed 2nd greatest coach in the world it will be very tough. Phil Jackson could teach thibs a few things. Maybe Pax will hook them up? Oh wait...
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#143 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Jun 20, 2014 6:46 pm

jumpmanjay wrote:
TheStig wrote:
Fischella wrote:Webber has a point about Thibs, he just lost it speaking about McHale after that.

But hey, I won't bet my championship hopes on Rose's knees and Anthony will be doing that if he forces his way to Chicago.

It does not seem to be a wise move, especailly after being stuck with Amare for 2 seasons.

If I'm Anthony, I opt in and wait for 2015 FA where there will be many more options and everything will be clearer for him, regarding the Bulls and Rose, Houston, LeBron or even LA, and of course the Knicks situation.

Could the Knicks get LeBron in 2015 if LeBron does the same move as Carmelo, opt in?

Doesn't sound bad as a strategy.

I don't think Thibs is a bad offensive coach. He has to play the players he has. Loul Deng, John Lucas, DJ, and Nate have enjoyed their best years under Thibs. Hell, he designed an offensive system built around Joakim Noah! Joakim Noah, a guy who can't post up and can barely hit a shot looked like Vlade Divac last year. The only guys who look better outside of Chicago were Korver and Marco. And Marco just looks better because he is on the Spurs.

When Rose was healthy, we had the #5 and #11 offense. Last year Joakim Noah as the center piece of our offense. I don't think Thibs gets enough credit for playing to his players strengths.

I thought it was interesting- Marco barely played in the finals.

That's the difference between the Bulls and Spurs. One of our greatest ball-handlers could barely get on the court for the Spurs.

Even Pat Riley threw Marco under the bus yesterday telling that he did not have any impact in the finals except for a 3-pointer in Game 1 or 3? I do think Marco will be a lot better for them next year because of him getting used to the system.

You are right about how good Marco looked sometimes on the Bulls when he should have been the 4th or 5th ball handler. If that doesn't show how much lack of offensive talent exists on the Bulls, Webber is correct in a way.
JasonFTW
RealGM
And1: 463

Post#144 » by JasonFTW » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:52 pm

I agree with Webb, Thibs offense seem quite suspicious to me, and can we trust him to make the right adjustments and plays that can benefit this team. I know a lot people say put the right talent on this team and Thibs won't have any offensive issues but for me I still not sure if that's true. I just got to see it to believe it. He's one of the best defensive coach which I won't deny.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#145 » by RememberLu » Sat Jun 21, 2014 9:55 pm

what does pops preach that thibs doesnt? ball movement? bulls are constantly one of the top teams in the nba in team assists
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#146 » by gstephanopulos » Sat Jun 21, 2014 10:36 pm

RememberLu wrote:what does pops preach that thibs doesnt? ball movement? bulls are constantly one of the top teams in the nba in team assists

He's that good defensive coach that everybody underated his offensive schemes. It's not his fault that he had very offensivly limited team for past 2 years.
ChiCitySPORTS#1
RealGM
And1: 5,450

Post#147 » by ChiCitySPORTS#1 » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:00 pm

This is honestly so dumb. Are you going to tell me that just because is a defensive coach that Melo is not going to get his, each and every game? It doesnt matter who is coaching, Melo will put up 26+ ppg. If Joakim Noah was on an inferior defensive team, would he all of a sudden not play defense? I dont get it.
BrooklynBulls
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 2,652

Post#148 » by BrooklynBulls » Sat Jun 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Melo should definitely listen to Webber, a player known for his winning. Everywhere he went. No matter what, he won at LEAST one game.
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#149 » by ingvald » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:25 pm

Webber was either talking out of his ass or doesn't understand the concept of complimentary players. Houston had the #4 offense so why should they add more offense? Bulls are lacking offense, that's why Melo is a perfect fit.

The comment that stood out most from Webber was this- "He's the best, in my opinion, bar none, catch-and-shoot guy in the league. Now, does he overdribble? He's probably the most overdribbling guy in the league, but if he has someone who can just pass and get him wide-open jump shots, I think that his whole game would change and he'd be known maybe for winning"

Is that Harden or Rose? Tell me again why Houston is a better fit?
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
Droseisthe1
Analyst
And1: 1,780

Post#150 » by Droseisthe1 » Mon Jun 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Jalen Rose here pretty much sums up what C-Webb just said....

Kris Bryant will go down as the greatest Chicago athlete after MJ

edit 7/30/21: okay maybe not, but it was a fun ride nonetheless

Return to Chicago Bulls