Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA 16: Let The Games Begin

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Re: Around the NBA 16: Summer time 

Post#841 » by pylb » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:58 pm

588 2300
Banned User
And1: 37

Post#842 » by 588 2300 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:05 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:PG being out for the season sucks on MANY levels, which is why I'm hoping Rondo gets traded to an eastern playoff team.

im sick of him. hes a piece of **** and i dont care if he ever comes back. #rayrice #idiot #stripperabortions #dickpics
588 2300
Banned User
And1: 37

Post#843 » by 588 2300 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:06 pm

pylb wrote:Image

oh snap lil oj mayo aint fonna approve on that!
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,434

Post#844 » by Repeat 3-peat » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:13 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:PG being out for the season sucks on MANY levels, which is why I'm hoping Rondo gets traded to an eastern playoff team.

Pistons should trade for Rondo

Jennings & Monroe for Rondo
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,348

Post#845 » by DASMACKDOWN » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:54 pm

Eric Bledsoe gets [near] max.

Seriously based on this offseason alone, this league is going to be in trouble in 3 years. There is no in between contract anymore for a young promising guy.

There is nothing wrong with Bledsoe. A nice young player. But the problem is, what really seperates these types of players from everyone else. Is Bledsoe, Parsons, Haywood, head and shoulder above any other promising player? But they are paid like one. Thats the issue.
The Cult of Personality
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#846 » by kingkirk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:09 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Eric Bledsoe gets max.

Seriously based on this offseason alone, this league is going to be in trouble in 3 years. There is no in between contract anymore for a young promising guy.

There is nothing wrong with Bledsoe. A nice young player. But the problem is, what really seperates these types of players from everyone else. Is Bledsoe, Parsons, Haywood, head and shoulder above any other promising player? But they are paid like one. Thats the issue.

5 yr / 70m isn't his max though, is it? That equates to 14m annually.

It's more than what i would pay for him, but i believe he was asking for 5 yr / 85m+.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#847 » by Proven_Winner » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:27 am

KingCuban wrote:

It's more than what i would pay for him, but i believe he was asking for 5 yr / 85m+.

I thought the max for Bledsoe was like 16mil per year.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,348

Post#848 » by DASMACKDOWN » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:29 am

KingCuban wrote:

You are correct, technically it isnt max but you get my point. It seems like basically any player that shows promise will get 14-15 million dollar contracts going forward.

It seems like just yesterday we were complaining about Luol Dengs contract of 12 mil a year. A 21 yr old Deng in the current NBA today would have earned in the full max 5/85 in the open market.

I just dont like how these contracts leaves no middle ground. Its all or vet minimum. Guys who you think would get MLE or less are now making 8-9 mil.

The issue is, the baseline for each year gets higher and higher. Which causes the system to eventually break. You will have teams who never even make the playoffs in 10 years have a top 10 payroll. Teams going forward are going to have salaries that looks like the Isiah Thomas led Knicks team than the RC Buford led Spurs team.
The Cult of Personality
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#849 » by kingkirk » Thu Sep 25, 2014 12:43 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:You are correct, technically it isnt max but you get my point. It seems like basically any player that shows promise will get 14-15 million dollar contracts going forward.

It seems like just yesterday we were complaining about Luol Dengs contract of 12 mil a year. A 21 yr old Deng in the current NBA today would have earned in the full max 5/85 in the open market.

I just dont like how these contracts leaves no middle ground. Its all or vet minimum. Guys who you think would get MLE or less are now making 8-9 mil.

The issue is, the baseline for each year gets higher and higher. Which causes the system to eventually break. You will have teams who never even make the playoffs in 10 years have a top 10 payroll. Teams going forward are going to have salaries that looks like the Isiah Thomas led Knicks team than the RC Buford led Spurs team.

Completely agree.

You even have guys like OJ Mayo making 8m annually, or even someone like Tyreke Evans, who has regressed as a player from his rookie season and has serious flaws in his game, who is now earning 11m annually.

I’m not sure what the answer is, though?

I mean, I would love to see a hard cap in place, perhaps franchise tags and max contracts no longer existing, but does that fix the issue, or only create new ones?

The NBA needs to fix it’s parity issues. You have middling teams like the Suns needing to overpay for talent just so they can put some wins on the board. There is a culture within the NBA that you need to maximise your brand and head to the biggest city possible, and that’s largely due to the inequality of opportunities presented by various teams.

I think the latest CBA took a good step in changing up the max deal, with incumbents being able to offer more years and % raises than rivals, but if they insist on keeping the max deal around, I’d like to see them tighten that even more.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,897

Post#850 » by TheStig » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:17 am

DASMACKDOWN wrote:
KingCuban wrote:

You are correct, technically it isnt max but you get my point. It seems like basically any player that shows promise will get 14-15 million dollar contracts going forward.

You're going to get these types of deals the next couple of years because the cap is going to sky rocket after that. The first max like Parsons/Hayward/and Bledsoe almost got is going to be like an 10 mill a year contract after the new CBA. I wouldn't really call it a massive overpay. Guys like Boogie and Davis are going to be cheap.
deano the p
Junior
And1: 63

Post#851 » by deano the p » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:21 am

pylb wrote:Image

Would love to see one of these for every position.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#852 » by GimmeDat » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:18 pm

Mr Gasol is in the building -

CousinOfDeath
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,260

Post#853 » by CousinOfDeath » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:48 am

I think the Suns' 2 point guard lineups will be the start of a new trend
suckfish wrote:Reminder: NBA players are stupid.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#854 » by GimmeDat » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:59 am

CousinOfDeath wrote:I think the Suns' 2 point guard lineups will be the start of a new trend

NBA's definitely going to a small-ball trend.

I think you need the right types of PG, and how they fit next to each other, to pull it off though. Bledsoe is one of the best defensive guards in the league, and Dragic is an excellent shooter.

Phoenix clearly have the confidence in it though, they are absolutely stock full of little guys, like IT, Archie Goodwin (who I think will be great once given the minutes) Tyler Ennis, Zoran and Green who's a bit of a swingman.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#855 » by pylb » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:26 am

The fact that there aren't a lot of quality 2s helps a lot. Just look at the chart I posted up top.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Post#856 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 5:56 pm

Phoenix now also signed Zoran Dragic,so we have our Slovenian brother duo on Suns team :nod:

G.Green was already on team,but also keeping Bledsoe,bringing in Thomas,keeping PJ Tucker and Goodwin,drafting Ennis and Warren gives them a big jaaaam at 1-3 roster spots..

G.Dragic
Bledsoe
G.Green
1st lineup

Thomas
Z.Dragic
Warren/Tucker
2nd lineup
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,440

Post#857 » by samwana » Fri Sep 26, 2014 8:04 pm

Suns keep piling up brothers on the team. Has there ever been a lineup of 2 brother duo's?

Goran
Zoran
Marcus
Markief
whoever

Makes a good story. Are Goran and Zoran twins also or just brothers?
poolshark52
Pro Prospect
And1: 471

Post#858 » by poolshark52 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:24 pm

samwana wrote:Suns keep piling up brothers on the team. Has there ever been a lineup of 2 brother duo's?

Goran
Zoran
Marcus
Markief
whoever

Makes a good story. Are Goran and Zoran twins also or just brothers?

Maybe they can get the Lopez brothers!
Nwaba daba doo!
screwdriver
Senior
And1: 16

Post#859 » by screwdriver » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:54 am

I did not realize that Alonzo Gee was waived and is now a free agent. The front office should take a serious look at him. He's a poor man's Jimmy Butler, but he'd be excellent insurance for a Butler injury, and could spell Jimmy for a few minutes each half without a huge dropoff on defense.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#860 » by GimmeDat » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:38 am

screwdriver wrote:I did not realize that Alonzo Gee was waived and is now a free agent. The front office should take a serious look at him. He's a poor man's Jimmy Butler, but he'd be excellent insurance for a Butler injury, and could spell Jimmy for a few minutes each half without a huge dropoff on defense.

Absolutely, I'm surprised teams didn't jump all over him when he got waived. Definitely rotation calibre. Athletic, plays D and I think his jumpshot has improved a bit.

Yeah he's an offensive liability, but he's better than most 3rd stringers out there.

Return to Chicago Bulls