Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA 16: Let The Games Begin

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Re: Around the NBA 16: Let The Games Begin 

Post#1941 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:14 am

KingCuban wrote:I know it’s only one game, so please don’t think these thoughts are reactionary.

I have had these ‘concerns’ about Cleveland since they were assembled.

Right now, if Blatt wants to play small, the Cavaliers are not going to win the championship. You can put that in the book right now.

We often speak about the Bulls needing 2 way players, with too many guys being favoured on one end of the floor, that end being defense. The Cavs have the opposite problem.

They close the 4th with Irving, Dellevadova, Waiters, Lebron & Love.

That line up contains only one 2 way player – Lebron.

Compare that with the Heat.

Chalmers, Wade, Battier, Lebron & Bosh.

All of those guys play both ends. If you want to say that Chalmers and Battier can’t be counted on offensively, then the balance still weighs with the Heat 3 to 1.

It was an issue for the Heat in last season’s playoffs because they matched up against a team that had their share of 2 way guys, but their own guys started to fall off. Chalmers, Wade & Battier were terrible.

I know it’s Blatt’s first game as a head coach in this league, and I understand that he is still working out his guys, rotations etc, but there is no way I can see Varejao not finishing games for the Cavs against the better teams in the league.

The Cavs will fail if they try to be the Heat. They need to play bigger. For me, this much is clear.

In terms of the rotations, if Marion and Miller are close to the edge and all but done, that leaves them with a 7 man rotation. Could get interesting.

That's been an interesting issue with Lebron led teams. They have always been best when it's him surrounded by shooters.

Don't be surprised to see more of that lineup throughout the year and it very well could be a key weakness for this Cavs team that hopefully the Bulls can take advantage of.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1942 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:15 am

Rerisen wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:Cavs will struggle to put 2 way lineups. They depend too heavily on LeBron and Varejao ( only real 2 way players on that team as of today).

They can put our killer offense lineups.

We can put out 'ok' 2 way lineups, but none that are great on both ends.

So balance vs playing one end.

Of course....but here's my counter and its a valid one.

Our offense can only improve...the variables we are counting on are Doug, Nikola and Jimmy progressing from their respective Point A's to their respective Point B's. And we are counting on Gasol not dropping off too steeply.

On the flip side, Cavs are counting on team defense improving dramatically (without players that have the size, height or the fundamentals to do so). And their old men are likely to fall even steeper than our old man.
For love, not money.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1943 » by kingkirk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:16 am

All that said, and all amongst my Cavs ranting, they can still win the East with these flaws and can certainly beat us. We have just as many, if not more, questions than they have.

I am not sitting here saying that we have it in the bag, but I refuse to engage in any notion that suggest they are going to roll over this league and dominate in their 1st season.

Until I see it, I will not accept it.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1944 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:18 am

KingCuban wrote:All that said, and all amongst my Cavs ranting, they can still win the East with these flaws and can certainly beat us. We have just as many, if not more, questions than they have.

I am not sitting here saying that we have it in the bag, but I refuse to engage in any notion that suggest they are going to roll over this league and dominate in their 1st season.

Or the notion that we are NOT a Top 2 in the East.

We are very much in the fray. Our biggest question was Rose. I think the answer is beginning to form on that issue.

He's back. Resoundingly so.
For love, not money.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,032

Post#1945 » by NecessaryEvil » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:18 am

It's the first game... of the season..
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1946 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 am

KingCuban wrote:All that said, and all amongst my Cavs ranting, they can still win the East with these flaws and can certainly beat us. We have just as many, if not more, questions than they have.

Oh most definitely. Talent can definitely out weight weaknesses and the Cavs have A LOT of talent.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#1947 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:19 am

Agree with KC, compared to Miami where you had a bunch of doubters even in our fanbase about us beating Miami, Cleveland just has too many holes to exploit just like any other typical team, no where near a super power that Miami was, Good AND deep as hell.

But its CRUCIAL our offense is on point this year, can't stress that enough. NY was able to exploit that defense, we need to do the same. Still need to at least entertain potential trades or signings though.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#1948 » by LoveDaBoo » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:20 am

yifsuibfe1 wrote:Very nervous now about the Cavs coming out firing tomorrow

Me too. Don't want a pissed-off LeBron.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1949 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:21 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:It's the first game... of the season..

But, just like the FIBA Worlds and Rose...you see some things and retain them as useful data that helps you make predictions.

And then you take the rest of the noise away and throw it out.

Notice for example, how no one is talking about how the Knicks are a legit playoff team or how good they are. Because thats the noisy part of the data that you should ignore.

The real data from this game lies in Cavs lineups and their defense.
For love, not money.
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM

Post#1950 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:22 am

LoveDaBoo wrote:
yifsuibfe1 wrote:Very nervous now about the Cavs coming out firing tomorrow

Me too. Don't want a pissed-off LeBron.

Pissed off Lebron has never really been an issue for us, in fact, Thibs loves when Lebron tries to do it all and shuts down everyone else.

The person who we really couldn't afford to piss off is Wade. Hell just the other night he got pissed off and carried the heat to victory against the Wizards.

Kyrie or Love just don't got that killer mentality Wade had IMO.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
cool007
RealGM
And1: 3,099

Post#1951 » by cool007 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:23 am

I love Roberson, he is 10x the player Thabo ever is/was.

He is getting some nice development minutes for OKC.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1952 » by kingkirk » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:28 am

Forgetting the Bulls for a second to remove any perceptions of a homerish rant, how does the following Cavs lineup guard the Spurs, especially in the pick and roll?

Irving, Dellevedova, Waiters, James, Love

vs

Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, Leonard, Duncan

You best hope Love is hitting everything and drawing Duncan outside the paint, otherwise that 4 v 4 match up goes to SA comfortably imo.

The Cavs need another big man desperately. **** thing is, they have the assets to get that done.

I will be praying that they **** that up and go for JaVale McGee or something.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#1953 » by Benedict Miller » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:33 am

Even though they have 3 superstars, I actually think we have more potential than the Cavs. With Rose continuing to improve, our depth & Jimmy's emergence, we're very capable of beating the Spurs. We're not even close to playing our best basketball either.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,316

Post#1954 » by fleet » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:34 am

More teams will be in games against them, because they won't have those 3rd quarter defensive flurries. No 10-2 fast break fueled runs. Big weapon lost for Lebron. Those were the intimidators.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM

Post#1955 » by Tenchi Ryu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 am

WTF?!

Westbrook injured too now?

Thunder are gonna be so ****ed
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
musiqsoulchild
RealGM

Post#1956 » by musiqsoulchild » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 am

KingCuban wrote:Forgetting the Bulls for a second to remove any perceptions of a homerish rant, how does the following Cavs lineup guard the Spurs, especially in the pick and roll?

Irving, Dellevedova, Waiters, James, Love

vs

Parker, Ginobili, Diaw, Leonard, Duncan

You best hope Love is hitting everything and drawing Duncan outside the paint, otherwise that 4 v 4 match up goes to SA comfortably imo.

Or with the Spurs frontcourt of:

Timmy / Tiago / Baynes / Diaw / Bonner

Experience, Size, Skill, Stretch shooting, Post Play....its all there. Take any 2 of that bunch and add Manu + Kawahi + Tony.

Jeez.....this is why I tell people that for us winning the ECF is like winning the title.
For love, not money.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,221

Post#1957 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 am

Cavs are gonna come out tomorrow on fire. If the bulls lose, then we get to hear Knicks fans talk about how they have the best team in the east, and completely ignore Wednesday.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#1958 » by pylb » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 am

I got the impression Delly was an OK defender from the few times I watched the Cavs last year.

I'm not sure the Spurs reach the Finals either this year, they're still getting older, coming off two deep playoff runs, Durant should have hopefully recovered, Maybe the Clips will have improved, Carlisle is still a really good coach, etc.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,316

Post#1959 » by fleet » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 am

Tenchi Ryu wrote:WTF?!

Westbrook injured too now?

Thunder are gonna be so ****ed

Building a dynasty. Tank!
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#1960 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:39 am

I like the Cavs team I just hate how they got put together and now everyone is on their knees ready to kiss their ass. I feel like alot of people forgot that the Spurs just destroyed Miami an know people expect Cleveland to come in and just blow out everyone despite having no chemistry and bigger holes than Miami.

I still say both Cavs and Bulls are even and that neither if they meet in the playoffs will demolish eachother.

Return to Chicago Bulls