Image ImageImage Image

The Australian Bulls Fans Thread

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

The Australian Bulls Fans Thread 

Post#1 » by kingkirk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:20 am

So it appears there is quite a few of us, and we're doing a great job of derailing the Melo threads, so i thought why not create an on going thread we can use for us to all get to know each other, talks Bulls as well as anything else ball/Australian related.

For those that aren't aware either, we have an Aussie board on RealGM. It's an extension of the off topic boards, therefore not much serious talk is had and its all nonsense, but stop by from time to time.

viewforum.php?f=358" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

How many of us are there? Where abouts in Oz are you?

How did we get into the Bulls?

Tell us more about yourself.

We've seen from threads on here, from the RealGM history thread we have going at the moment, or Doug's draft party threads that RealGM can be a place to talk hoops, but also to converse with folks at a personal level.

The idea of this thread, for me, is to get to know everyone more on a personal note and grow the online community that we have here whilst leveraging our one common link - Chicago Bulls basketball.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: OT: Australian Bulls Fans 

Post#2 » by kingkirk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:22 am

So how many of us are there?

I've counted at least 10-12 Australian Bulls fans. A few more lurkers that have come out during the Melo threads which is good to see.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant
And1: 218

Post#3 » by Sonny_D1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:27 am

All I know is you guys have plenty of time to visit the boards since you Aussies only work like 5 months out of the year.
Dez
Head Coach
And1: 7,635

Post#4 » by Dez » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:31 am

I am for now but if this decision crap goes on much longer I'll be jumping in front of a truck.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#5 » by Dez » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:34 am

Sonny_D1 wrote:All I know is you guys have plenty of time to visit the boards since you Aussies only work like 5 months out of the year.

Um, what?
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#6 » by dumbell78 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:45 am

Cool idea KC! I'm gonna post some detailed stuff in a bit, just walked in now. Be forewarned I hold dual residency, the American in me might leak out time to time. :lol:
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by Sonny_D1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:47 am

Dez wrote:
Sonny_D1 wrote:All I know is you guys have plenty of time to visit the boards since you Aussies only work like 5 months out of the year.

Um, what?

Lol. I have family in Australia and every year they're taking like 3 month "holidays" and traveling the world. When I last saw a few if them I asked how they're able to do that, they're response: "Oh, we have/can get a lot of vacation time here in Australia and we take advantage of it". Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but that was sort of the gist of it. Anyway, overall I really envy the lifestyle of the Aussies. Most that I know seem to really balance work and pleasure really well. Here in the US most are lucky to get more than 1 week at a time off, regardless of profession.
Dez
Head Coach

Post#8 » by Dez » Thu Jul 10, 2014 9:57 am

Sonny_D1 wrote:
Dez wrote:

Um, what?

Lol. I have family in Australia and every year they're taking like 3 month "holidays" and traveling the world. When I last saw a few if them I asked how they're able to do that, they're response: "Oh, we have/can get a lot of vacation time here in Australia and we take advantage of it". Obviously I'm exaggerating a bit, but that was sort of the gist of it. Anyway, overall I really envy the lifestyle of the Aussies. Most that I know seem to really balance work and pleasure really well. Here in the US most are lucky to get more than 1 week at a time off, regardless of profession.

Profession and area? I want a job there.
Sonny_D1
Lead Assistant

Post#9 » by Sonny_D1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:01 am

Dez wrote:
Sonny_D1 wrote:
Dez wrote:
Um, what?

Profession and area? I want a job there.

Melbourne. From IT to entrepreneur to your standard corporate business folk, just about a little of everything I guess.
chech
Freshman
And1: 3

Post#10 » by chech » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:25 am

Hey Aussie Bulls fans. Love the idea of this thread.

I'm from Sydney and am more of a lurker on here but do post from time to time.

Love the stuff going on in the Carmelo thread. Some of that spiderman stuff was pretty funny.

GO BULLS!!!
bulls_downunder
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#11 » by bulls_downunder » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:38 am

Good idea KC ! I guess I'm one of the lurkers you mentioned. I'm in Brisbane myself. A basketball fan before a Bulls fan. My family migrated from the Philippines where basketball is a religion. Thinking back I probably became a Bulls fanatic because of Michael Jordan.

Some of my thoughts this about the off season.

a) Getting Melo is definitely Plan A. Getting role players is much easier than superstars. I feel like a Big 3 of Noah, a healthy Rose and Melo is a nucleus of a contender. Given their respective ages the Bulls will have a 4 year window.
b) Don't understand the pursuit of Gasol. Although I'm not overly concern as I don't know the full story yet. It's all about context to me.
c) I like the Doug McDermott pick. Bulls needed shooting, they added a shooter.
d) Excited about Cam Bairstow. Hopefully he makes the team for the upcoming season.

Non Bulls topic, thoughts on the make up of the Boomers for the World Championships
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#12 » by kulaz3000 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 10:43 am

Not Australian but over the years I've spent a combined 4 years years there as I frequent there for long stretches due to my work, mostly in Sydney and Melbourne - I absolutely love it there.

Things I love about Australian is there some what lacks attitude, the awesome beaches and the hotties that you find there, and it's not so damn congested like most big cities around the world. Melbourne is absolutely awesome for food and sports, Australian sports. Rugby is decent, and I find the guys who play are absolute animals as they pummel each other with little to no protective gear. AFL is awesome due to it's speed and intensity, I really can't find a sport like it but it's awesome to watch life. Absolutely adore cricket, can be boring as f*** but it's just one of those sports you can have on in the background and do your things around the house and you can tune in whenever you feel like and it's still fun - some of the cricket terminology sounds absolutely awesome, ya'll all got to watch a game some time.

What I don't like is the occasional moronic 'bogans' who go on random racists rants on public transport, they seem to happen quite frequently these days for some odd reason. And they don't have NBA on TV no more, and even on Australian cable TV providers it's rarely ever on. According to the people that live here, they stopped televising it since Jordan retired, or soon after.

Would love to start a family there, it's fantastic!
Why so serious?
Dez
Head Coach

Post#13 » by Dez » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:11 am

kulaz3000 wrote:Not Australian but over the years I've spent a combined 4 years years there as I frequent there for long stretches due to my work, mostly in Sydney and Melbourne - I absolutely love it there.

Things I love about Australian is there some what lacks attitude, the awesome beaches and the hotties that you find there, and it's not so damn congested like most big cities around the world. Melbourne is absolutely awesome for food and sports, Australian sports. Rugby is decent, and I find the guys who play are absolute animals as they pummel each other with little to no protective gear. AFL is awesome due to it's speed and intensity, I really can't find a sport like it but it's awesome to watch life. Absolutely adore cricket, can be boring as f*** but it's just one of those sports you can have on in the background and do your things around the house and you can tune in whenever you feel like and it's still fun - some of the cricket terminology sounds absolutely awesome, ya'll all got to watch a game some time.

What I don't like is the occasional moronic 'bogans' who go on random racists rants on public transport, they seem to happen quite frequently these days for some odd reason. And they don't have NBA on TV no more, and even on Australian cable TV providers it's rarely ever on. According to the people that live here, they stopped televising it since Jordan retired, or soon after.

Would love to start a family there, it's fantastic!

You didn't happen to see one the other week by any chance? Stupid woman went on a tirade because two little kids (8 and 10) didn't give up their seats for her (she wasn't elderly either) despite being seats around her available. Then she went after a guy who was sticking up for the kids and a poor girl who happened to be Asian, was absolutely disgusting.
Martial
Junior
And1: 269

Post#14 » by Martial » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:28 am

Another lurker here, though I do contribute through and-1's!

Been lurking for a couple of years actually, then one day decided to make an account thinking i'd become a consistent poster. But due to the fast paced nature of the Bulls board and not being on a computer at work I struggle to keep up. For example, I have tried 6 or 7 times to keep up with the Melo threads. I'll go to sleep, wake up and go to work/uni, come home and be 100+ pages behind. So I stick to my and-1's for anything that I would've said/great GIFs/or anything that made me chuckle.

I use to post on bulls.com pretty consistently. I think it was bullsconnect? Anyway, that got taken down and I migrated here. I've always wanted to be more active here, maybe this thread will motivate me. We'll see. If not, you'll definitely see my username on the who's online section at the bottom of the page, and dishing out and-1's.
t-time
RealGM
And1: 1,794

Post#15 » by t-time » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:36 am

I'm from Adelaide. Been on this board for an eternity, but in recent years have been more of a lurker.

I have been a Bulls fan since I was a kid. Have stuck with them through thick and thin.. Some of the best times on this board were during the Chandler/Curry/Crawford and Williams times. Soo much promise for such little reward :)

Have gone to the states twice in 2008 and 2011 to watch the Bulls play - absolutely loved Chicago and the United Center. Told my wife yesterday if we get Melo we are going back there this year (doesn't look like I'm gonna be going anywhere it seems :()
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#16 » by dumbell78 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:47 am

Ok here it goes:

As some may know I'm originally from Chicago but married an Aussie girl so that's why I'm here now. Been here since 2011 and I'm in the western suburbs of Sydney. Love it here, ppl are great and quality of life is just as good. I'm in insurance specifically the property side of it, consultant role.

Been a Bulls fan all my life basically and grew up watching the great MJ and company dynasty. Lurked around here for years before I finally decided to join and talk some ball. Looking forward to talking with some more of you Aussie peeps.

Oh yeah vegemite sux! This is not open for discussion! :lol:
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
YourRoseness
Sophomore
And1: 23

Post#17 » by YourRoseness » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:48 am

Aussie from Sydney here. I lurk the boards several times a day at work but rarely log in to post.

Hoping our Aussie Bairstow gets some playing time when the regular season starts. I really think he has the tools to play some minutes in the NBA.

I don't like our chances with Melo. I think all these threads and rumours are setting us Bulls fans up for major dissapointment in that regard. The offer by the Knicks is simply too good to refuse. I wouldn't be suprised Melo is waiting on Phil to guarantee to him that he will be playing on a contender in the near future as a Knick. Whether that be by signing players like Gasol, Ariza etc. or not remains to be seen.
Impossible Is Nothing.
step
Lead Assistant
And1: 463

Post#18 » by step » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:01 pm

Brisbane.

I was drawn to Chicago due to my background, Croatian, mainly Kukoc. Really got into it when I was 6-7 yrs old when he was drafted. And stuck it out ever since. Oddly enough, was never really a Nets fan, even with Petrovic.

I used to post far more regularly, but I am one of the few public servants who is now flat out busy all day. Though I do admit I have been refreshing the board quite a lot trying to stay updated withe Free Agency. It is one of my favourite times of the season, even though this one has been exceptionally frustrating and perplexing.
nike1
Senior
And1: 313

Post#19 » by nike1 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:03 pm

how did i get into the bull's?

jordan simply, and i played bball as a kid (recently came out of "retirement" to play again..wearing 33).

and i can almost with 100% accuracy guess im the only person who lives on their own island ;)
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#20 » by kingkirk » Thu Jul 10, 2014 12:14 pm

So i posted this thread before i went to play a game of hoops, and now just got back. Awesome to see the responses, especially from the lurkers or 'non regulars'.

Great to have you guys stop by. We may be heading toward 15-20 of us.

Great stuff. Maybe if there is enough of us, and if this thing takes off, we can get the Aussie faction together to do a draft party or something similar sometime in the future should anyone be interested.

Return to Chicago Bulls