Image ImageImage Image

Korver talks McDermott & Thibs

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

the italian
Sophomore
And1: 18

Korver talks McDermott & Thibs 

Post#1 » by the italian » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Someone (credit: jumpmanjay) posted this in the McDermott thread, but I thought this definitely deserved its own. Korver not only talks about McDermott, but also about how Thibs and being in Chicago has helped his career these past few years, and figured this could promote some discussion.

Here-
http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/korver- ... -thibodeau

“Well, I don’t know if I consider myself an elite player all the way. I think I’m a great fit on a team. I’ve never wanted to be ‘the guy,’ I’ve never tried to be a superstar, but I’ve always tried to be the best teammate. Someone where if you’re going to build a team, you want me on your team. I just try to be a great teammate and just being able to play hard and know that I’ll be there on defense for you and I’ll make the extra pass and when I get shots, I’m going to knock them down and so, I think what’s special for me, just being invited is that they’re trying to make the best team possible. That’s what I’ve been working for my whole career and it’s kind of cool that it comes kind of more towards the end,” explained the 31-year-old, who also has a wry sense of humor and quipped, “Oh, yeah. I don’t think there’s even anybody else who’s 30,” when asked if he was the oldest player in attendance.

“This is my 12th year coming up and I’ve never really been part of stuff like this. It’s kind of special for me. I take this serious. I’m trying to do this thing. Not that I see this as the end, and I’m going to keep on trying to grow be better. But it’s kind of a cool thing that it happens more toward the end than in the beginning. I’m not the young guy here who they see as, ‘Down the road, we’re going to throw him in the mix.’”

“It’s good. There’s a lot of side jokes. It’s so funny,” Korver said, referencing Thibodeau’s penchant for having the Bulls do defensive close-out drills in practice daily.

“Well, that’s one of the side jokes with me and Derrick, right? Like getting ready for them. It’s good. Thibs got on me a couple times the other day. I was just like, ‘This is good. I like it.’ Bringing me back. No, but it’s good, man. I was telling Thibs some of the calls on defense that are so drilled into my mind that I still say them in Atlanta, even though it’s the wrong call. We were joking about that earlier. So yeah, it’s good.”

“I haven’t really heard too much of that. I don’t know. I was only in Chicago for like two days and I didn’t really talk to people about that. There’s easy comparisons to make. We’ve got a similar skill set, although he’s got some post game that I don’t have. We come from the same school, we’re about the same size, all that. It’s easy to say that, but he’s his own person and he’s got his own things to his game that I don’t have and he’s going to do a great job for you guys. He’s really excited to be there,” Korver said.

“He’s going to learn so much from Thibs. Early on in my career, I wish I would have had someone like Thibs to show me how to play really good team defense. That would have helped me a ton in my career. I feel like a lot of the success I’ve had the last couple of years is because of what I learned in Chicago. I felt like a lot of things have came together for me the last couple years. Being there with Thibs and learning how to play defense and being in an awesome, championship-caliber culture was really big for me. So Doug’s going to get that right now, like right at the very beginning, and it’s only going to do great things for his career.”

“He takes the game very serious. He plays with a chip on his shoulder. He plays with an edge. He wants to be really good and he’s going to work for it. He doesn’t just want it, he wants to work for it. He’s got a great skill set obviously, how he can shoot and how he sees the floor. He dealt with every kind of defense. He’s been prepared for the NBA in so many ways, just in how he was guarded all the time, the pressure that was on him in Omaha, at Creighton. He’s a younger guy, but emotionally, he’s very mature,” he continued.

“You learn how to play with the basketball stuff. I think for him, just being in a smaller town, obviously Creighton went to the next level, all the expectations for him, and he handled it with such class and such grace. I think a lot of the learning curve when you come into the NBA is learning emotionally how to deal with everything that’s going on. He’s got to learn how to deal with Thibs every day. It’s a lot. The thing I told him is you don’t have to drive that traffic every day. I can go back and do either Thibs or the traffic, but I could never do both again. I was like, ‘You don’t know how good you have it.’”

“Probably not until this last year. He’s put up big numbers his whole career obviously. He’s scored a whole lot of points. But it wasn’t until this last year that I really saw that Doug’s not just going to get drafted, he’s going to be a player. I think he’s believed that whole time and he just kept on working. But I’d say in the last year that he’s going to be a legit, real good player,” Korver said.

“He’s going to be great. He’s on a great team for him to fit in well. There’s a real need for his skill set. He’s going to learn how to play defense. He’s going to have Jimmy [Butler] taking the No. 1 guy. He’ll get the second guy. There’s no two and three in Thibs’ offense. You’re the guy who’s coming off the doubles [screens] or you’re the guy who’s not coming off the doubles almost for the wing. He’s going to be the guy coming off the doubles and he’s going to be able to shoot that thing, and put a lot of pressure on the defense and you guys have added a lot of pieces. So he’s got a really good feel for the game. He got the ball a lot at Creighton, but it wasn’t like him getting the ball and holding it, making a one-on-one move. He learned to play without the ball and that’s so important in Thibs’ offense. You can’t have everybody be a drive-and-kick guy. You have to have shooting. You have to have the guy who shoots the ball after the drive and he’s going to be able to do that.”
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,488

Re: Korver talks McDermott & Thibs 

Post#2 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:44 pm

He’s going to be great. He’s on a great team for him to fit in well. There’s a real need for his skill set. He’s going to learn how to play defense. He’s going to have Jimmy [Butler] taking the No. 1 guy. He’ll get the second guy. There’s no two and three in Thibs’ offense. You’re the guy who’s coming off the doubles [screens] or you’re the guy who’s not coming off the doubles almost for the wing. He’s going to be the guy coming off the doubles and he’s going to be able to shoot that thing, and put a lot of pressure on the defense and you guys have added a lot of pieces.

Interesting.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#3 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 pm

He’s going to be the guy coming off the doubles and he’s going to be able to shoot that thing, and put a lot of pressure on the defense and you guys have added a lot of pieces. So he’s got a really good feel for the game. He got the ball a lot at Creighton, but it wasn’t like him getting the ball and holding it, making a one-on-one move. He learned to play without the ball and that’s so important in Thibs’ offense

I've mentioned this before and I want to mention it again. I really want McD playing with Rose, Noah and Pau. Not only will those guys be able to maximize his ability with their passing, but also he will take the defensive preassure off of Rose and Pau by being that offensive threat.

The Rose/Butler/McD/Noah/Pau lineup has a great fit and mix of offense and defense.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#4 » by jumpmanjay » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:44 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:The Rose/Butler/McD/Noah/Pau lineup has a great fit and mix of offense and defense.

In my mind, that should be our starting lineup.
Art Vandelay
Lead Assistant
And1: 335

Post#5 » by Art Vandelay » Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:52 pm

This may sound picky but I really wish Aggrey would break his quotes up in stories. My brain has a hard time reading/staying interested through those massive blocks, even if it is interesting stuff.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#6 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:10 pm

Still think we made a mistake by trading him
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
Harmoo
Banned User
And1: 526

Post#7 » by Harmoo » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:26 pm

HomoSapien wrote:Still think we made a mistake by trading him

Why ? Dion waitors is a better dribbler
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#8 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:28 pm

Harmoo wrote:

When did we acquire Dion??
RoseTheFuture22
Veteran
And1: 404

Post#9 » by RoseTheFuture22 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 pm

Korver's a great dude, one of 2 Bulls that I've ever actually met in person. Really wish we played him more minutes those 2 years here and found a way to keep him. Very happy for him that he's getting recognized in Atlanta for playing well
D_GoLow
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,243

Post#10 » by D_GoLow » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:36 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
Harmoo wrote:

When did we acquire Dion??

Didn't we get a trade exception & didn't use it?
This is not a moment, it's a movement
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect
And1: 427

Post#11 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:38 pm

Is there a single Bulls fan who thinks that it wasn't a mistake?

We gave away the best shooter in the league for literally nothing. One of the biggest WTF moments by a FO most consider to be good and a really strong piece of evidence for the "Reinsdorf is cheap" group.
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
gobullschi
Veteran
And1: 899

Post#12 » by gobullschi » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:40 pm

At first glance the idea of Doug McDermott in the starting line up seems ridiculous and that mainly stems from the complexity of Thibs' system. That being said, this is now the second year he gets to work with Coach Thibs and learn some of his defensive system.

I have 3 big concerns with McDermott

1. Can he play defense well enough?
2. Can he get his shot off over NBA athletes?
3. Is he conditioned enough to withstand an NBA season with the increased physical play?

After reviewing every NBA team, only about 12 teams have an athletic 2/3 pairing. Of those 12 teams, only about 7 of them are playoff teams (arguments can be made as to whether they are really much of a mismatch too)

Here is a list for reference. Just a rough guess of pairings.
Atlanta:
Korver
Sefolosha

Boston:
Jeff Green
Marcus Smart

Brooklyn:
Joe Johnson
Andre Kirlinko

Charlotte:
Lance Stephenson
Michael Kidd-Gilchrist

Cleveland:
LeBron James
Dion Waiters

Detroit:
Caldwell Pope
Meeks

Pacers:
Paul George
CJ Miles

Miami:
Luol Deng
Dwayne Wade

Milwaukee:
OJ Mayo
Jabari Parker

New York:
JR Smith
Carmelo Anthony

Orlando:
Victor Olodipo
Tobias Harris

Philidelphia:
Wroten
Thad Young

Washington:
Bradley Beal
Paul Pierce

Dallas:
Monta Ellis
Chandler Parsons

Denver:
Gallinari
Afflalo

Golden State:
Andre Iguodala
Klay Thompson

Houston:
James Harden
Trevor Ariza

Clippers:
JJ Reddick
Dudley

Lakers:
Kobe Bryant
Nick Young

Memphis:
Tayshawn Prince
Vince Carter

Minnesota:
Kevin Martin
Corey Brewer

New Orleans:
Eric Gordon
Tyreke Evans
OKC:
Kevin Durant
Jeremy Lamb

Pheonix:
Goran Dragic
Gerald Green

Portland:
Nicolas Batum
Wes Matthews

Sacramento:
Rudy Gay
Ben McLemore

Utah:
Dante Exum
Gordon Hayward

San Antonio:
Manu Ginobli
Kahwi Leonard
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#13 » by HomoSapien » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:44 pm

KissedByaRose1 wrote:

We gave away the best shooter in the league for literally nothing. One of the biggest WTF moments by a FO most consider to be good and a really strong piece of evidence for the "Reinsdorf is cheap" group.

Tons of people argued that it was a good trade because Marco and Dunleavy were equal talents with cheaper salaries.
Chitownbulls
General Manager
And1: 2,463

Post#14 » by Chitownbulls » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:46 pm

Like Ive been saying for a while now....doug will play some 2
DENG HE SUCKS!!!!
organix85
General Manager
And1: 331

Post#15 » by organix85 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:48 pm

I always enjoy people talking about Thibs. That dude is a workaholic and I find it oddly funny to hear about it.
TyrusRose2425 wrote:Imagine how much more athletic Noah would be if he didn't have his big ass ball sack dragging him down
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
KissedByaRose1 wrote:

Tons of people argued that it was a good trade because Marco and Dunleavy were equal talents with cheaper salaries.

By the time Dunleavy was on the team Korver had been gone for a year and at the time Marco was really the only SG on the roster so there was more than enough time for Korver to play. It wasn't a "one or the other" kinda thing and I remember people being furious because it seemed like a straight salary dump.
DuckIII wrote: We can't out-Miami, Miami. But based on their roster, we can out-Chicago them.
BullsFTW
Head Coach
And1: 1,893

Post#17 » by BullsFTW » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:55 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
He’s going to be the guy coming off the doubles and he’s going to be able to shoot that thing, and put a lot of pressure on the defense and you guys have added a lot of pieces. So he’s got a really good feel for the game. He got the ball a lot at Creighton, but it wasn’t like him getting the ball and holding it, making a one-on-one move. He learned to play without the ball and that’s so important in Thibs’ offense

I've mentioned this before and I want to mention it again. I really want McD playing with Rose, Noah and Pau. Not only will those guys be able to maximize his ability with their passing, but also he will take the defensive preassure off of Rose and Pau by being that offensive threat.

The Rose/Butler/McD/Noah/Pau lineup has a great fit and mix of offense and defense.

I think that's what Thibs wants. McDermott's shooting is so lethal, and add to that his versatility as a scorer.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#18 » by kyrv » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:03 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:This may sound picky but I really wish Aggrey would break his quotes up in stories. My brain has a hard time reading/staying interested through those massive blocks, even if it is interesting stuff.

Was thinking the same thing. ;p

Great quotes though, very interesting stuff! :)
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#19 » by kyrv » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:06 pm

KissedByaRose1 wrote:

There was little demand for Korver at his salary. Rose was out, a pretty 'meh' move. Cap wise they should have traded him, which they did. Not a big deal.
KissedByaRose1
Pro Prospect

Post#20 » by KissedByaRose1 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:10 pm

kyrv wrote:
KissedByaRose1 wrote:

There was little demand for Korver at his salary. Rose was out, a pretty 'meh' move. Cap wise they should have traded him, which they did. Not a big deal.

I'm really hoping you mean it was a meh move at the time and not with the benefit of hindsight.

Even then Rose's projected date to come back was January and Kyle was already a 40% 3P shooter.... Korvers salary was incredible reasonable and it screamed salary cap dump the entire way. It was a terrible move then and a even worse move as time has gone on.

Return to Chicago Bulls