Image ImageImage Image

"Meanwhile in Spain"

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

DJHill
Pro Prospect
And1: 329

Re: "Meanwhile in Spain" 

Post#21 » by DJHill » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:35 pm

May be a stupid question but how is Serge Ibaka on the Spain team? I thought he was from the Congo? Does he have Spain citizenship?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#22 » by RedBulls23 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:45 pm

DJHill wrote:May be a stupid question but how is Serge Ibaka on the Spain team? I thought he was from the Congo? Does he have Spain citizenship?

Yes.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Lexluthor
Rookie
And1: 405

Post#23 » by Lexluthor » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:04 am

transplant wrote:
suckfish wrote:You all know I always root for Spain, but I honestly think they take this tournament this summer.

Agree. Spain's bigs are better than the US and their guards are very good.

That's Bullcrap . Gasol has decline a little bit the past two seasons . Anthony Davis is way more talented than Ibaka and Marc Gasol . And I would pick Demarcus Cousins over Marc and Ibaka . If I was starting a team

But they are better Mason Plumee and Faried . We still have the best talent even without PG and Durant
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,891

Post#24 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:43 am

Wait is Wiggins playing for Canada?
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#25 » by Benedict Miller » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:30 am

Interesting. Pau is actually starting over Marc at center. Here's a full game of Spain

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLNKjXW7Hw&list=UUZEOopJUEpkHr5an0K7gfmg[/youtube]
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#26 » by Benedict Miller » Mon Aug 18, 2014 2:31 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCycoPCiCM0[/youtube]
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,749

Post#27 » by Jeffster81 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:19 am

biggestbullsfan wrote:Wait is Wiggins playing for Canada?

Why is that a surprise? Wiggins is Canadian after all.
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#28 » by Benedict Miller » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:30 am

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKJEwFTP1Ac&list=UUZEOopJUEpkHr5an0K7gfmg[/youtube]

Gasol off the bench in this one vs Asik & company.
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#29 » by NDave79 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:36 am

SleepyHurricane wrote:The main difference between Pau and Booz is height. Pau's game ages gracefully because he's so damn tall. I wouldn't be surprised by a 20 and 9 playoff average since Thibs will likely give him rest during the regular season.

I agree. I love the length Pau brings to this team. Derrick seems to be excited about that as well. I know we have all seen Pau many times, but this clip shows how much taller he is than Noah.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6qldD26SeU[/youtube]
biggestbullsfan
RealGM
And1: 1,891

Post#30 » by biggestbullsfan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:56 am

Jeffster81 wrote:
biggestbullsfan wrote:Wait is Wiggins playing for Canada?

Why is that a surprise? Wiggins is Canadian after all.

No it was more a question lol Like is he playing
suckfish
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1,273

Post#31 » by suckfish » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:18 am

Spain vs Angola full game

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLNKjXW7Hw[/youtube]
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#32 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:07 am

NDave79 wrote:
SleepyHurricane wrote:The main difference between Pau and Booz is height. Pau's game ages gracefully because he's so damn tall. I wouldn't be surprised by a 20 and 9 playoff average since Thibs will likely give him rest during the regular season.

I agree. I love the length Pau brings to this team. Derrick seems to be excited about that as well. I know we have all seen Pau many times, but this clip shows how much taller he is than Noah.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6qldD26SeU[/youtube]

I remember that game. What an ugly game. Pau blocked about every one of Boozer's shots attempts.

Taj hit the game winner at the very end, but they cut it off.

Pau had 20 and 17 and Noah had 17 and 21.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
guille_4
Sixth Man
And1: 845

Post#33 » by guille_4 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:52 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:The game vs Canada

Pau Gasol 20 pts 8 rebs
Marc Gasol 15 pts 8 rebs
Serge Ibaka 15 pts 7 rebs

Now if Pau is still the man for Spain
Shouldn't he be our starter this season? I ask, because I've seen alot of lineups here that have him off the bench. He's still one of the best bigs in the league, and in the last video, him catching that pass in transition & scoring, shows skills we haven't had here.

Pau is definitely still the man for Spain.

Pau is a BEAST in FIBA Basketball. Top 5 big man in FIBA.

P.S. From a spaniard :)
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,031

Post#34 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:07 pm

Benedict Miller wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCycoPCiCM0[/youtube]

Gasol swatted the **** outta that.

He's going to be great in Chicago next season, GREAT.
Benedict Miller
General Manager

Post#35 » by Benedict Miller » Tue Aug 19, 2014 3:59 pm

suckfish wrote:Spain vs Angola full game

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpLNKjXW7Hw[/youtube]

Gasol looks good, he made some nice plays defensively. They will give USA hell.
NecessaryEvil wrote:
Benedict Miller wrote:[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCycoPCiCM0[/youtube]

Gasol swatted the **** outta that.

He's going to be great in Chicago next season, GREAT.

It's going to be a great season, I want to see how well Aaron Brooks will perform too.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Re: Re: 

Post#36 » by Sugarless » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:02 pm

TylerB wrote:The total package? Marc Gasol? He rebounds at an Eddy Curry rate almost. He is a very good defender and passer. He is basically Noah without rebounding ability. Sure he is a better scorer than Noah but not much better. Gasol is a pretty low volume and inefficient scorer for a center, like Noah. He just doesn't rebound the ball very well.

When you are putting up prime Luc Longley type scoring and rebounding you don't get to be called the best center in the league. That is still Dwight Howard by a lot.

Marc is a much better scorer than Noah, he just doesn't have that rol for the Grizzlies, where the ball runs through him on the high post most of the time and he's what you could call a Point-Center. Also, the Grizzlies don't rely on Marc's rebounding because, you know, they have this guy called Z-Bo who loves to crash the boards while Marc is the one who boxes out with his huge body.

You probably remember Pau Gasol being called a weak rebounder for nearly 7 years with the Grizzlies (if you don't, I'll tell you that was said on a daily basis in Memphis), yet he moved to LA where he was more relied upon and he suddenly became one of the top rebounders in the league.
TylerB
Analyst
And1: 98

Post#37 » by TylerB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:48 pm

Sugarless wrote:
TylerB wrote:The total package? Marc Gasol? He rebounds at an Eddy Curry rate almost. He is a very good defender and passer. He is basically Noah without rebounding ability. Sure he is a better scorer than Noah but not much better. Gasol is a pretty low volume and inefficient scorer for a center, like Noah. He just doesn't rebound the ball very well.

When you are putting up prime Luc Longley type scoring and rebounding you don't get to be called the best center in the league. That is still Dwight Howard by a lot.

Marc is a much better scorer than Noah, he just doesn't have that rol for the Grizzlies, where the ball runs through him on the high post most of the time and he's what you could call a Point-Center. Also, the Grizzlies don't rely on Marc's rebounding because, you know, they have this guy called Z-Bo who loves to crash the boards while Marc is the one who boxes out with his huge body.

You probably remember Pau Gasol being called a weak rebounder for nearly 7 years with the Grizzlies (if you don't, I'll tell you that was said on a daily basis in Memphis), yet he moved to LA where he was more relied upon and he suddenly became one of the top rebounders in the league.

I like this idea that guys don't rebound because someone else on the team is doing it. Like more than 1 person can't rebound at a respectable rate? Like Zbo is getting 15 rebounds a game?

Pau Gasol actually rebounded at a higher rate his last year in memphis than he did his first year in LA.

Also I agree Marc is a better scorer than Noah, but he is a low volume low efficiency scorer for a center. He isn't asked to play that role for the same reason Noah isn't asked to play it. Because he isn't any good at it.
Sugarless
Starter
And1: 1,978

Post#38 » by Sugarless » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:26 pm

TylerB wrote:I like this idea that guys don't rebound because someone else on the team is doing it. Like more than 1 person can't rebound at a respectable rate? Like Zbo is getting 15 rebounds a game?

There can be more than one guy rebounding at a high rate on the same team, yet it's difficult to find it anywhere on the league, moreso when one of your two main bigs has the task to box out time and again due to his big body. There are maybe 3, 4 big men duos in the NBA where each guy can average 10 rpg, and I'd say none of them plays that box-out role on such a consistent basis (like Pau, Marc doesn't care about stats, but about team success).

Pau Gasol actually rebounded at a higher rate his last year in memphis than he did his first year in LA.

Pau had a TRB% of 14.0 on the Grizzlies vs 15.4 on the Lakers. And when it comes to comparing both brothers, Marc has a TRB% of 13.9 for the Grizzlies against Pau's 14.0, which is awfully similar.

Also I agree Marc is a better scorer than Noah, but he is a low volume low efficiency scorer for a center. He isn't asked to play that role for the same reason Noah isn't asked to play it. Because he isn't any good at it.

You probably haven't seen as much of Marc and I don't blame you, but that being the case, I think the tone of your messages should be a bit different.

Marc is a 51.% FG scorer for his career, along with 74.9% from the line, which is quite good for a center (he also topped out at 58.1% FG on his second year and 84.8% FT a couple seasons ago). How on Earth do you find that inefficient, I don't really know.

If you take a look at Hoopdata, you'll see that about 50% of Marc Gasol's shots last season (actually it was 12-13, they still don't have last season's numbers) came from 10 ft out, whereas only below 30% of Noah's shots came from the same distance (both Noah and him had similar FG% for the season and a similar number of shots, as you said). The reason, as I stated earlier, is that Marc operates on the high post most of the time, where he's asked to distribute the ball and he's often the guy to try to bail out the offense (not a great one, as everybody knows) with a mid or long range jumper.

So, no, Marc is not an inefficient scorer, and he's not as limited as Noah on that end. He's got a much bigger array of moves and he's much more reliable from the mid-range, which along his playmaking from the top of the key is the reason why he's used so heavily on the high post.
TylerB
Analyst
And1: 98

Post#39 » by TylerB » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:01 pm

Gasol averaged more rebounds per possession in Memphis his last year than in LA his first year. He later went on to have better rebounding seasons, but the first clear improvement in his rebounding came his last year in Memphis not his first year in LA.

Gasol operates in the high post just like Noah. Gasol never goes inside offensively because he wants to shoot jump shots, which he is average at making. He is a low efficiency low volume scorer for a center, just like Noah. No matter how many paragraphs you write that is truth of Marc Gasol right now.

Earlier in Marc's career, when he actually played inside occasionally he was a low volume decent efficiency guy. Now he is low efficiency. As Gasol's volume has increased in his career his efficiency has significantly gone down which is a very clear indicator of someone who is just not a very good scorer. At his very peak he was pretty average and now he isn't even that. As I posted before his offensive numbers are eerily similar to prime Luc Longley.

The whole he uses his big body to block out isn't an excuse for not getting rebounds. You have to block your man out to get rebounds. Like the guys who are good at rebounding don't position themselves in between the basket and their guy. He doesn't get them because he doesn't jump well, isn't that quick, and obviously doesn't aggressively go after them. Which is how you describe a poor rebounder in the NBA.
Vincent_Askew
Banned User
And1: 247

Post#40 » by Vincent_Askew » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:01 am

TylerB wrote:
drosestruts wrote:
SpinninHouse wrote:
Best center in the league. Gearing up for his $100M contract,

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums

Ah someone else who shares my view that Marc Gasol is the best center. For me, it's not even close, he's the total package.

The total package? Marc Gasol? He rebounds at an Eddy Curry rate almost. He is a very good defender and passer. He is basically Noah without rebounding ability. Sure he is a better scorer than Noah but not much better. Gasol is a pretty low volume and inefficient scorer for a center, like Noah. He just doesn't rebound the ball very well.

Marc Gasol is MUCH better than Noah. Sorry to inform you.

Return to Chicago Bulls