Image ImageImage Image

Jimmy Butler Extension - MERGING

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

TheGameChanger
Bench Warmer
And1: 366

Re: Jimmy Butler Extension - MERGING 

Post#601 » by TheGameChanger » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:29 pm

I'm starting to think our core is

PG - Rose
SG - Butler
SF - McDermott
PF - Mirotic
Ctownbulls
RealGM
And1: 3,715

Post#602 » by Ctownbulls » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:51 pm

TheGameChanger wrote:I'm starting to think our core is

PG - Rose
SG - Butler
SF - McDermott
PF - Mirotic

Noah still is and will always be, as long as he is here, the heart and soul of this team. He inspires people to play hard and give maximum effort. If Noah got injured and couldn't play the entire season I think it would actually make a difference to the team if he sat on the bench and cheered for everyone or sat at home. He is 100% part of the core - he has another 5-6 years left in him.
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#603 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:36 pm

K.C. Johnson ‏@KCJHoop · 1m1 minute ago
Jimmy Butler: "I think we're going to figure it out. At end of day, I want to be a Chicago Bull for as long as possible."

:D :nod: :pray: :rock:
WesleyExChiFan
Starter
And1: 1,014

Post#604 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 pm

I wonder if the FO is waiting to see if Klay Thompson becomes an RFA. If so, I bet they're plannning on throwing max money at him quickly and letting Jimmy walk. If GSW matches, they just match whatever offer comes Jimmy's way. Not a bad plan actually.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#605 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:59 pm

wesleybullsfan wrote:I wonder if the FO is waiting to see if Klay Thompson becomes an RFA. If so, I bet they're plannning on throwing max money at him quickly and letting Jimmy walk. If GSW matches, they just match whatever offer comes Jimmy's way. Not a bad plan actually.

We don't have cap space. Only way we could get Thompson is if we pulled off a sign-and-trade, but it's probably very unlikely.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#606 » by Rerisen » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:03 pm

We need to get this done or it will be Deng part II.

Not signing Jimmy doesn't free up big money and his deal, even if looking high now, will be tame in a couple years as the TV deal kicks in higher salaries.
WesleyExChiFan
Starter

Post#607 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:10 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
wesleybullsfan wrote:I wonder if the FO is waiting to see if Klay Thompson becomes an RFA. If so, I bet they're plannning on throwing max money at him quickly and letting Jimmy walk. If GSW matches, they just match whatever offer comes Jimmy's way. Not a bad plan actually.

We don't have cap space. Only way we could get Thompson is if we pulled off a sign-and-trade, but it's probably very unlikely.

Unlikely, yes, but not impossible. All of our bigs have value. Taj/Noah/Mirotic/Gasol could all be moved as salary dumps, Guaranteed. Most likely, in that order too. As a matter of fact, I could easily see Noah gone before his next contract comes up, especially to open space for a legit 2 guard. Honestly, I'd move him right now in a S&T for Klay if it were possible (btw, I know it isn't).
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,315

Post#608 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:13 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want Klay at the max and I highly doubt pur FO would either. He's a rich mans McDermott at this point. A shooter, when we need a creator..no thank you.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using RealGM Forums mobile app
WesleyExChiFan
Starter

Post#609 » by WesleyExChiFan » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:01 pm

Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

I sure as hell wouldn't want Klay at the max and I highly doubt pur FO would either. He's a rich mans McDermott at this point. A shooter, when we need a creator..no thank you.

Unlike McDermott, he's a proven threat, not a potential one. That's an expensive difference. A creator at the 2 isn't an easy fill without paying out the nose. Some of the biggest contracts in the NBA go to those types of players:

Joe Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Eric Gordon
James Harden

The type of player we're looking for is EXPENSIVE. We have to expect to pay that. Thompson gives us proven spacing and he's not a liability on defense. He can shoot over his man in the post and is a legitimate threat to score whenever he's on the floor, so you can't double off him to guard Rose. That's the point right? If we get him, this is your starting lineup next year:

Rose (18 mil/yr)
Klay (15 mil/yr)
McD (rookie scale)
Mirotic (5 mil/yr)
Gasol (7.5 mil/yr)

I'd move Noah and Gibson somewhere to pay Klay and make that happen. In a heartbeat. Yes, the sacred cow (defense) would suffer. So what? This would be a ridiculously dynamic lineup moving forward.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#610 » by ptpablo » Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:06 pm

wesleybullsfan wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Unlikely, yes, but not impossible. All of our bigs have value. Taj/Noah/Mirotic/Gasol could all be moved as salary dumps, Guaranteed. Most likely, in that order too. As a matter of fact, I could easily see Noah gone before his next contract comes up, especially to open space for a legit 2 guard. Honestly, I'd move him right now in a S&T for Klay if it were possible (btw, I know it isn't).

My opinion is the Bulls will never give up a top center and heart and soul of this team for a 2 guard for these reasons.

Noah on great value contact.

The classic big for small rule.

Jimmy Butler. He will sign and be the 2 guard with McDermott the 3.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
What do you guys want me to do, turn my brain off because I have a huge basketball IQ?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#611 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:30 am

This extension negotiations is really going down to the wire isn't it?! Nervous.

Yes, we can talk about what the perfect number is in terms of his deal, but as a Bulls fan, I just want him resigned no matter the numbers on the contract. He is an important piece to our team, and a player who I think has more potential than Deng had as Bull.
Why so serious?
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#612 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:35 am

wesleybullsfan wrote:
Mbrahv0528 wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:

Unlike McDermott, he's a proven threat, not a potential one. That's an expensive difference. A creator at the 2 isn't an easy fill without paying out the nose. Some of the biggest contracts in the NBA go to those types of players:

Joe Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Eric Gordon
James Harden

The type of player we're looking for is EXPENSIVE. We have to expect to pay that. Thompson gives us proven spacing and he's not a liability on defense. He can shoot over his man in the post and is a legitimate threat to score whenever he's on the floor, so you can't double off him to guard Rose. That's the point right? If we get him, this is your starting lineup next year:

Rose (18 mil/yr)
Klay (15 mil/yr)
McD (rookie scale)
Mirotic (5 mil/yr)
Gasol (7.5 mil/yr)

I'd move Noah and Gibson somewhere to pay Klay and make that happen. In a heartbeat. Yes, the sacred cow (defense) would suffer. So what? This would be a ridiculously dynamic lineup moving forward.

You're basically trading offense for defense and end up at square one except now trying to find a defensive anchor.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#613 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:36 am

Doug is not even a poor man's Klay so how could Klay be a rich man's Doug?
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#614 » by kingkirk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:36 am

I am more confident about this getting done than i would be if i was a Warriors fan getting Klay signed by the deadline.

Maybe i am dumb, which is extremely likely, but i just get a vibe from JB that he is a Bulls lifer, and wants to be here regardless.

If we give him 10m, i think he takes it. Sure, he could probably get 12-13m if he hits the open market, but i think this guy has a quality about him that omits that gap in price.

When you hear about the Jimmy Butler story, and what he has had to deal with as a person, you know this isn't some prima donna that is all about himself and is someone who has never had to sacrifice.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#615 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:38 am

kulaz3000 wrote:This extension negotiations is really going down to the wire isn't it?! Nervous.

Yes, we can talk about what the perfect number is in terms of his deal, but as a Bulls fan, I just want him resigned no matter the numbers on the contract. He is an important piece to our team, and a player who I think has more potential than Deng had as Bull.

Well they did this last year with Taj so im not really nervous, but I think he will be resigned. Jimmy wants to be a Bull and the Bulls want Jimmy. One side will eventually give in and either pay up (the FO) or settle for less (Jimmy's agent).
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#616 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:39 am

KingCuban wrote:I am more confident about this getting done than i would be if i was a Warriors fan getting Klay signed by the deadline.

Maybe i am dumb, which is extremely likely, but i just get a vibe from JB that he is a Bulls lifer, and wants to be here regardless.

If we give him 10m, i think he takes it. Sure, he could probably get 12-13m if he hits the open market, but i think this guy has a quality about him that omits that gap in price.

When you hear about the Jimmy Butler story, and what he has had to deal with as a person, you know this isn't some prima donna that is all about himself and is someone who has never had to sacrifice.

It's not Jimmy I'm worried about, it's his agent. If his agent is good at his job, he'll do whatever he can to get the best deal for Jimmy.

Perhaps it will take John Paxson going into the locker room after the game to have a face to face with Jimmy to get the deal done last minute, just like it happened with Taj. I thought that story was amazing at the time, I thought Taj was going to be a restricted free agent, and one visit in the locker-room after the game just sealed the deal right at the buzzer.
Why so serious?
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#617 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:41 am

KingCuban wrote:I am more confident about this getting done than i would be if i was a Warriors fan getting Klay signed by the deadline.

Yea I think he's a lifer. He's very professional and is a good teammate. At 8-10mil Jimmy is a slight steal, but if he could be consistently aggressive and be sort of that old Jimmy he would be one of the best value contracts in the league.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#618 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:44 am

kulaz3000 wrote:

It's not Jimmy I'm worried about, it's his agent. If his agent is good at his job, he'll do whatever he can to get the best deal for Jimmy.

Perhaps it will take John Paxson going into the locker room after the game to have a face to face with Jimmy to get the deal done last minute, just like it happened with Taj. I thought that story was amazing at the time, I thought Taj was going to be a restricted free agent, and one visit in the locker-room after the game just sealed the deal right at the buzzer.

Well Paxson may know a little a bit about coming through in the clutch.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnAr4I3-Z48[/youtube]
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#619 » by kingkirk » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:00 am

kulaz3000 wrote:It's not Jimmy I'm worried about, it's his agent. If his agent is good at his job, he'll do whatever he can to get the best deal for Jimmy.

Yeah, but what i guess i am saying is that i don't think JB is the type of guy who is going to live behind is agent and will look to seep out every last dollar he can find.

Basically, i don't see him being Lance Stephenson, going to the highest bidder. I think there is more at play here for Butler, and whilst he wants to be remunerated accordingly, i don't think 1-2m is going to be a deal breaker.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#620 » by TheStig » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:02 am

kulaz3000 wrote:This extension negotiations is really going down to the wire isn't it?! Nervous.

To be fair, all the Bulls extensions go to the deadline and involve a discount. So its not troubling. I'd only be worried if one doesn't get done. Jimmy will get maxed this summer if he hits the market.

Return to Chicago Bulls