Image ImageImage Image

OT: TMZ releases Ray Rice video -MERGED

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: OT: TMZ releases Ray Rice video 

Post#241 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:37 am

kyrv wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Both horrible but worse than hitting a woman is probably beating your child with a switch.

4 year old child at that. Beat him because he shoved his sibling while they were playing. And in the past Peterson has also used a belt.

What a dirt bag piece of ****.

So, AP thinks he has found the problem, it's all good, they can move on? Yikes.

P4P, I'm going to wimp out and suggest they are on the similar scale and the NFL doesn't have to pick one as being 'worse'. I was actually thinking about that yesterday, that the NFL would extend the policy to children, or really anyone not capable of defending themselves.

If a child acts up in school, disrespects their teacher, curses at their mother, beats up their younger sibling, steals from their neighbors, then a spanking or something of the like is probably in order, and at the very least well within a father's rights. If a wife flirts with another man, comes home late, doesn't have dinner ready, her husband has zero right to physically punish her. He can argue with her all he wants though, even leave her.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#242 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:39 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote: And a parent has every right to apply stern discipline to a misbehaving child,.

No they don't. Not physical discipline. Not if it leaves a mark. Not a right to beat their four year old with a tree branch. There are laws just as there are against hitting a woman.

Yeah, it is a fine line. But AP clearly crossed it.. went WAY over it with a 4 yr old child.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM

Post#243 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:49 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote: And a parent has every right to apply stern discipline to a misbehaving child,.

No they don't. Not physical discipline. Not a right to beat their four year old with a tree branch. There are laws just as there are against hitting a woman.

This is news to me. Clearly we disagree on this. But clearly a mother and father have a right to spank their misbehaving child. And that's just a general statement, not a defense of Adrian Peterson.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#244 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:52 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote: But clearly a mother and father have a right to spank their misbehaving child. .

Not if it leaves a mark. That is pretty much the consensus in all states.. There are some backwards ass states like OK, where you can still use a switch on a child. But, only if you don't leave a mark on them. Not sure how that happens, though. Doctors are even required to report any findings consistent with child abuse if they see marks on a child.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM

Post#245 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 2:57 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote: But clearly a mother and father have a right to spank their misbehaving child. .

Not if it leaves a mark. That is pretty much the consensus in all states.. There are some backwards ass states like OK, where you can still use a switch on a child. But, only if you don't leave a mark on them. Not sure how that happens, though. Doctors are even required to report any findings consistent with child abuse if they see marks on a child.

Again, what you're describing is child abuse, what I'm describing is stern discipline. There's a difference.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#246 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:09 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

Again, what you're describing is child abuse, what I'm describing is stern discipline. There's a difference.

What AP did (allegedly) was abuse. That is the point I'm trying to make.

I'm just of the opinion that you never have to, or should. strike a child. But, I'm a guy who was never hit by my father (he just had this death grip he used on my upper arm). I'm also someone who won't spank his own kids and has never even hit his dogs. Never had to physically discipline children or pit bulls.

My dogs have never been struck. EVER. and they are two of the best behaved dogs you will ever see. I can tell my dogs to lay down and stay and they will not move until I come back. I live on a lake and have no fence. My dogs will not step off my property unless they have permission. In the winter, the paw prints go just to the edge of my property line and stop dead and make a line in the snow over a hundred yards where they stop. Some people will tell you that you have to beat your dog to train them. My dogs are proof that you don't. Just an analogy.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM

Post#247 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:20 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Polynice4Pippen wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

What AP did (allegedly) was abuse. That is the point I'm trying to make.

I'm just of the opinion that you never have to, or should. strike a child. But, I'm a guy who was never hit by my father (he just had this death grip he used on my upper arm). I'm also someone who won't spank his own kids and has never even hit his dogs. Never had to physically discipline children or pit bulls.

My dogs have never been struck. EVER. and they are two of the best behaved dogs you will ever see. I can tell my dogs to lay down and stay and they will not move until I come back. I live on a lake and have no fence. My dogs will not step off my property unless they have permission. In the winter, the paw prints go just to the edge of my property line and stop dead and make a line in the snow over a hundred yards where they stop. Some people will tell you that you have to beat your dog to train them. My dogs are proof that you don't. Just an analogy.

I understand. I wasn't whooped on a consistent basis either growing up. But in junior high I was getting in more and more trouble and my step father finally had enough and took a paddle to my backside a few times. It hurt like hell, I'm sure it left marks, but it got the point across and made me fearful of the consequences of my actions and bad behavior. Whether spankings are a parent's first choice, last recourse, or not on the agenda, the parent has a job of disciplining their child; spankings (not child abuse) are just one particular option. When it comes to your wife/girlfriend, physical discipline is NEVER an option. Ever. You can argue with her, discuss things like rationale adults, or you can simply leave her.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#248 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36 am

Spankings made me think unthinkable thoughts towards my parents and strong feelings of resentment, hate, unjustice.
A tree branch on a 4 year old is excessive. He coulda caused permanent damage. The pain receptors of a 4year old arent built to withstand the beatings of a powerful adult using a weapon.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#249 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:41 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
kyrv wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:4 year old child at that. Beat him because he shoved his sibling while they were playing. And in the past Peterson has also used a belt.

What a dirt bag piece of ****.

So, AP thinks he has found the problem, it's all good, they can move on? Yikes.

P4P, I'm going to wimp out and suggest they are on the similar scale and the NFL doesn't have to pick one as being 'worse'. I was actually thinking about that yesterday, that the NFL would extend the policy to children, or really anyone not capable of defending themselves.

If a child acts up in school, disrespects their teacher, curses at their mother, beats up their younger sibling, steals from their neighbors, then a spanking or something of the like is probably in order, and at the very least well within a father's rights. If a wife flirts with another man, comes home late, doesn't have dinner ready, her husband has zero right to physically punish her. He can argue with her all he wants though, even leave her.

Oh right - I was not thinking the behaviors were identical, should have been clear.

I was saying domestic abuse could be treated the same by the NFL, whether it's spousal or a child.

Meaning the definitions would be different but the penalty structure could be the same.
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#250 » by bearadonisdna » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:42 am

Many times parents use physical force to enforce their perceptions. lol. Parents.
danzou
Sixth Man
And1: 505

Post#251 » by danzou » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:04 am

Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#252 » by Tenchi Ryu » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:21 am

bearadonisdna wrote:Spankings made me think unthinkable thoughts towards my parents and strong feelings of resentment, hate, unjustice.

As a kid and pre-teen I couldn't stand my parents for whooping me, but I never go a day without being thankful I got them. I've seen first hand that a household with no discipline leads to problems outside the household. Same kids who tried to get me to go with them to shady places and I was told hell no. Same kids who's parents didn't give a damn about their 13 year old child being out past 11 while I got my ass whooped. Same kids who were allowed to hang with the cool kids that sold dope and participated in gang activities cause it was "fun".

I am grateful because the person who I am now sees nothing cool or fun about what some my age consider cool or fun. Getting multiple chicks pregnant they can't raise, making their rides a easy pull over target for cops, and not just having the plain common sense to know "I don't need to be here"

Now I was never put in a position where it was any real harm to my health. But there were days where my ass was stinging for the rest of the night. Problem is some parents nowadays are forgetting why discipline is given. Some are doing it out of selfish anger and because their kids are getting on their nerves. And that's wrong.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#253 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:36 am

FOUR YEARS OLD!

WHUPPED WITH TREE BRANCH!

BLOODY SCABS, SCARS, BRUISES, MARKS IN PICS TAKEN BY DOCTOR- A WEEK LATER!

FOUR YEARS OLD! FOUR.

Kid said Peterson has used a belt on him and punched in the head previously. I get it. Some of you are OK with spanking your kids or OK with getting spanked when you were a kid. But, what am I missing here with the AP situation?
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM

Post#254 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:37 am

Tenchi Ryu wrote:
bearadonisdna wrote:Spankings made me think unthinkable thoughts towards my parents and strong feelings of resentment, hate, unjustice.

As a kid and pre-teen I couldn't stand my parents for whooping me, but I never go a day without being thankful I got them. I've seen first hand that a household with no discipline leads to problems outside the household. Same kids who tried to get me to go with them to shady places and I was told hell no. Same kids who's parents didn't give a damn about their 13 year old child being out past 11 while I got my ass whooped. Same kids who were allowed to hang with the cool kids that sold dope and participated in gang activities cause it was "fun".

I am grateful because the person who I am now sees nothing cool or fun about what some my age consider cool or fun. Getting multiple chicks pregnant they can't raise, making their rides a easy pull over target for cops, and not just having the plain common sense to know "I don't need to be here"

Now I was never put in a position where it was any real harm to my health. But there were days where my ass was stinging for the rest of the night. Problem is some parents nowadays are forgetting why discipline is given. Some are doing it out of selfish anger and because their kids are getting on their nerves. And that's wrong.

Great post, Tenchi. My feelings exactly.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM

Post#255 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:40 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:FOUR YEARS OLD!

WHUPPED WITH TREE BRANCH!

BLOODY SCABS, SCARS, BRUISES, MARKS IN PICS TAKEN BY DOCTOR- A WEEK LATER!

FOUR YEARS OLD! FOUR.

Kid said Peterson has used a belt on him and punched in the head previously. I get it. Some of you are OK with spanking your kids or OK with getting spanked when you were a kid. But, what am I missing here with the AP situation?

I don't think you're missing anything. Everyone seems to be in agreement that Peterson used insanely excessive force. Old ladies with no muscle use switches to whoop kids, not physical specimens like Adrian Peterson.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#256 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:49 am

Let me just put it this way. My heart feels so much more for the thought of a 4 year old child being whipped with a branch until he bleeds and still has welts and scabs and bruises a week later, than my heart feels for Janay Rice. In fact, just knowing that she tried to cover up his actions, insisted it was her fault=- and married him after this, is mind-boggling to me. It also makes me feel a lot less for her and care less about her. Not so much in the Paul George sense... but I kind of get the sense that this woman is enabling him just by staying with him and trying to shield his behavior from the public....let's be honest about it.. for his MONEY. Watching Rice knock her out cold is disgusting and disturbing and shows what a coward he is. But, man. AP beating a 4 year old and the fact that this is ongoing behavior, according to the kid, is even more disgusting to me.

..and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way. But, it's the truth and it's how I feel about it. Both of these guys need help. They're both mentally ill. Whether it was caused by the way they were brought up, or something else, they need help.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#257 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:11 pm

I am curious why social media doesn't care that Hardy is playing for Carolina this Sunday.

He was CONVICTED and it wasn't one punch, he choked her, hit her, and told her he was going to kill her.

What the bleep is going on with the NFL and the super smart social media?

Rice not convicted: he gone

Hardy convicted: see you Sunday yo
kyrv
RealGM

Post#258 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:13 pm

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:

Great post, Tenchi. My feelings exactly.

That's kind of arguing that corporal punishment is better than no discipline, which I'm guessing is the case.

Thanks for sharing TR.
kyrv
RealGM

Post#259 » by kyrv » Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:38 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:Let me just put it this way. My heart feels so much more for the thought of a 4 year old child being whipped with a branch until he bleeds and still has welts and scabs and bruises a week later, than my heart feels for Janay Rice. In fact, just knowing that she tried to cover up his actions, insisted it was her fault=- and married him after this, is mind-boggling to me. It also makes me feel a lot less for her and care less about her. Not so much in the Paul George sense... but I kind of get the sense that this woman is enabling him just by staying with him and trying to shield his behavior from the public....let's be honest about it.. for his MONEY. Watching Rice knock her out cold is disgusting and disturbing and shows what a coward he is. But, man. AP beating a 4 year old and the fact that this is ongoing behavior, according to the kid, is even more disgusting to me.

..and maybe I'm the only one who feels this way. Maybe I'm wrong for thinking this way. But, it's the truth and it's how I feel about it. Both of these guys need help. They're both mentally ill. Whether it was caused by the way they were brought up, or something else, they need help.

It's awkward to compare because you end up saying one is 'better'.

But clearly a healthy adult is better equipped to handle escape/defense than a four year old child.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#260 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 7:16 pm

kyrv wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:Let me just put it this way. My heart feels so much more for the thought of a 4 year old child being whipped with a branch until he bleeds and still has welts and scabs and bruises a week later, than my heart feels for Janay Rice. In fact, just knowing that she tried to cover up his actions, insisted it was her fault=- and married him after this, is mind-boggling to me. It also makes me feel a lot less for her and care less about her. Not so much in the Paul George sense... but I kind of get the sense that this woman is enabling him just by staying with him and trying to shield his behavior from the public....let's be honest about it.. for his MONEY. Watching Rice knock her out cold is disgusting and disturbing and shows what a coward he is. But, man. AP beating a 4 year old and the fact that this is ongoing behavior, according to the kid, is even more disgusting to me.

It's awkward to compare because you end up saying one is 'better'.

But clearly a healthy adult is better equipped to handle escape/defense than a four year old child.

Neither is better. Both deplorable and despicable. One is just worse than the other in my eyes. The woman can also call the police and she can also stop seeing the man who is beating her up, repeatedly *and yeah this was normal for Ray Rice- you can just tell by the way he reacted knocking her out- no remorse, just "where can I drag her body, now"--. I know it's common for women to stay with their abusers but, whether it's right or wrong, I have less sympathy for them. She not only stayed with him, but she married him. I won't feel sorry for her if she gets beaten again. Sorry. That kid however. God help him. Some dark ages thinking going on these days. Yeah, it used to be socially acceptable to beat your wife, too.

Taking away a kids video game for a few days along with not allowing them to watch television or use a phone would be much more effective in any case. Maybe they'll even go outside and play.... or read a book! As a parent, you can also explain the rational for the punishment and that it will be worse the next time. Maybe the kid will actually learn something from it and not just what a strap or a switch feels like on their bare ass and legs.

Return to Chicago Bulls