Image ImageImage Image

McDermott Expectations

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Re: McDermott Expectations 

Post#81 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:13 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
That is why Thibs needs to do the right thing and just start McDirty right out of the gate. The rest of the starting lineup and smart and experienced, they can take on a rookie. Particularly a 4 year rookie.

I am concerned Thibs might not do that though. And if he doesn't, its going to be a huge mistake. He's going to be the rare rookie to make a big impact. Just give him the nod, the minutes and the touches.

You know Thibs gives no special treatment to rooks at least until they learn his system. The good thing McD has going for him is that I thought Thibs was the one who really wanted him.

Spot on. Although I think Thibs just likes a certain type of player, not so much that he hates playing rookies. And he is stubborn to a fault with his favorites. The main thing is they have to be willing to work their asses off on defense. They don't necessarily have to be great at it to begin with. I think McD is his guy because he is the scorer the Bulls need, but Thibs also believes he can eventually be an above average defender, and will putt he work in to become that player. We shall see...

I think Snell.McD, and Nikola will have a chance at starting or playing big minutes in the preseason. Thibs said he wanted to run different lineups and try new things. So if McD impresses Thibs in preseason we could see him maybe (MAYBE) see him start a couple of games and go from there.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#82 » by Stratmaster » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:21 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
You know Thibs gives no special treatment to rooks at least until they learn his system. The good thing McD has going for him is that I thought Thibs was the one who really wanted him.

Spot on. Although I think Thibs just likes a certain type of player, not so much that he hates playing rookies. And he is stubborn to a fault with his favorites. The main thing is they have to be willing to work their asses off on defense. They don't necessarily have to be great at it to begin with. I think McD is his guy because he is the scorer the Bulls need, but Thibs also believes he can eventually be an above average defender, and will putt he work in to become that player. We shall see...

I think Snell.McD, and Nikola will have a chance at starting or playing big minutes in the preseason. Thibs said he wanted to run different lineups and try new things. So if McD impresses Thibs in preseason we could see him maybe (MAYBE) see him start a couple of games and go from there.

I'm 2/3 of the way with you. I just don't see Snell in the starting conversation after the way he played last season. I haven't written him off long term; however, Butler and Snell in a starting lineup is not a contending first team in my mind.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#83 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:32 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

I'm 2/3 of the way with you. I just don't see Snell in the starting conversation after the way he played last season. I haven't written him off long term; however, Butler and Snell in a starting lineup is not a contending first team in my mind.

At some point you have to see it because right now he plays SG with Jimmy and E'Twaun. FO hasn't been dying to get some wing depth at SG so you have to assume they believe in Snell. Also coming out of college FO knew he wasn't going to be ready coming out of the gate. So you can't pick a guy based on upside and then turn around and trade him after a bad rookie year. Snell had a bad year, but it was just his rookie year and he's been touted as a hard worker and a guy who's only focus is basketball.

Snell does seem like a different guy at least since SL and he has been working out this summer to get better (training with Khawi). If Snell impresses in preseason he has the same chance as McD would have if he impressed. The wing rotation is no clear lock so Snell could sneak his way in there.
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#84 » by jumpmanjay » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Expectations? Well...

panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#85 » by panthermark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:35 pm

Snell/Butler are not starting wings for an offensively challenged contending team.

Butler/MDJ isn't really something to get excited about as well.

Butler/McD has a little bit of potential down the line....but that is a lot to put on a rookie. We have no #3 option.

We actually need our #1 option to be a #2 option, our #2 option to be a #3 option, and our unknown #3 option to turn into a #1 option (or a strong #2 at worst).
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#86 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:39 pm

panthermark wrote:Snell/Butler are not starting wings for an offensively challenged contending team.

Butler/McD has a little bit of potential down the line....but that is a lot to put on a rookie. We have no #3 option.

We actually need our #1 option to be a #2 option, our #2 option to be a #3 option, and our unknown #3 option to turn into a #1 option (or a strong #2 at worst).

:confused:
panthermark
RealGM

Post#87 » by panthermark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:54 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
panthermark wrote:Snell/Butler are not starting wings for an offensively challenged contending team.

Why are you confused?
Trying to win a title with your PG as your clear cut #1 scoring option (and only wing ball handler) is an uphill battle in the NBA.
When that PG has missed the last two seasons with knee surgeries, getting him massive help would seem essential.

When your #2 option behind that #1 is a 34 year old big man, you again want to have as much help as possible. Especially when said team does not have a true 3rd option...or even a high scoring 6th man.....and the starting line-up projects to be average at best from 3 point line. (We really, really, really need Butler and Rose to make big strides).

Basically, we need McD to play like a near All-Star SF, not a rookie.
While I hope Snell improves, we don't really need him to go from horrible to almost average (which would be a huge jump) because we need more than average anyway.

We don't need a guy that can chip in for 8 points a night off the bench in 20 minutes. We need a guy that can play 36 minutes and give us a solid 18 every night...along with being a legit scoring threat in the play-offs. I don't see Snell getting there any time soon...same for Mirotic. And while McD could get there, that is a lot to expect out of him as a rookie.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#88 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:59 pm

panthermark wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:

Why are you confused?
Trying to win a title with your PG as your clear cut #1 scoring option (and only wing ball handler) is an uphill battle in the NBA.
When that PG has missed the last two seasons with knee surgeries, getting him massive help would seem essential.

When your #2 option behind that #1 is a 34 year old big man, you again want to have as much help as possible. Especially when said team does not have a true 3rd option...or even a high scoring 6th man.....and the starting line-up projects to be average at best from 3 point line. (We really, really, really need Butler and Rose to make big strides).

Basically, we need McD to play like a near All-Star SF, not a rookie.
While I hope Snell improves, we don't really need him to go from horrible to almost average (which would be a huge jump) because we need more than average anyway.

We don't need a guy that can chip in for 8 points a night off the bench in 20 minutes. We need a guy that can play 36 minutes and give us a solid 18 every night...along with being a legit scoring threat in the play-offs. I don't see Snell getting there any time soon...same for Mirotic. And while McD could get there, that is a lot to expect out of him as a rookie.

Well I was confused with the way you worded that. We are basically trying to hope for the most unlikely damn near impossible thing to happen in your opinion. I'll just leave that topic alone.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,065

Post#89 » by NecessaryEvil » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:00 pm

Where's the Niko expectations thread?? Before we ever heard of a McDermott, he WAS supposed to be our next big thing.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#90 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:03 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:Where's the Niko expectations thread?? Before we ever heard of a McDermott, he WAS supposed to be our next big thing.

We should just have a bulls expectation thread instead of singling out guys.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#91 » by Ice Man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:07 pm

NecessaryEvil wrote:Where's the Niko expectations thread??.

That will come soon enough, once the pre-season starts.

Bulls fans say that Niko would be a Top 7 draft pick, yet spend their time talking up a #11 draft pick who plays largely the same role (if not the same position). Funny but I get it. We've seen the one and not the other.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#92 » by DanTown8587 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:10 pm

This Bulls team is kind of the same Bulls team that they've had for the last half decade: they are deep and talented but the organization has yet to find or take a risk on an All-Star caliber player. The hope for me is McDermott is that guy to help the scoring (and one of the only guys with a ceiling to be that they've ever drafted or signed). But if he doesn't max out, oof.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#93 » by ptpablo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:14 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:This Bulls team is kind of the same Bulls team that they've had for the last half decade: they are deep and talented but the organization has yet to find or take a risk on an All-Star caliber player. The hope for me is McDermott is that guy to help the scoring (and one of the only guys with a ceiling to be that they've ever drafted or signed). But if he doesn't max out, oof.

This...

If McD is a baller the Bulls will be a very good team. He has the ceiling to do so, and everything about him I have seen so far makes me like him more and more.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#94 » by Ice Man » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:19 pm

OK, while I said I get it, that doesn't mean I agree.

The Bulls have two shots at a new successful scorer -- McDermott and Niko. There's no reason to expect that Doug is the better player of the two. He's not a higher draft pick and he's not younger (i.e. drafted on potential). True, he does seem to have a better chance at getting minutes -- but that can change quickly enough.

This team does not live or die on McDermott. It might live or die on either McDermott or Niko striking fire, but not on Doug alone.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#95 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:23 pm

Ice Man wrote:OK, while I said I get it, that doesn't mean I agree.

The Bulls have two shots at a new successful scorer -- McDermott and Niko. There's no reason to expect that Doug is the better player of the two. He's not a higher draft pick and he's not younger (i.e. drafted on potential). True, he does seem to have a better chance at getting minutes -- but that can change quickly enough.

This team does not live or die on McDermott. It might live or die on either McDermott or Niko striking fire, but not on Doug alone.

i do think we give him too much love for essentially doing nothing. It hurts me to say it, but he's one of the most overhyped rookies this draft.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#96 » by ptpablo » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:33 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:

i do think we give him too much love for essentially doing nothing. It hurts me to say it, but he's one of the most overhyped rookies this draft.

Niko is right there with him IMO. McD has the minutes staring him in the face, he just needs to take them. Niko has a tougher road to get burn. Hopefully, Niko can play the 3 so Dunleavy can take over some backup 2.

Rose / Kirk / Brooks
Butler / Dunleavy / Snell
McD / Mirotic / Dunleavy
Gasol / Gibson / Mirotic
Noah / Gasol / Gibson
panthermark
RealGM

Post#97 » by panthermark » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:Well I was confused with the way you worded that. We are basically trying to hope for the most unlikely damn near impossible thing to happen in your opinion. I'll just leave that topic alone.

But isn't that what we are doing?

We are either setting extemely high expectations and hoping he meets them, or setting more reasonable expectations and hope he surpasses them.

I'd say I'm hoping for one thing (All-Star/ROY), but expecting something else (above average rookie with his share up ups and downs).
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#98 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:40 pm

ptpablo wrote:
Proven_Winner wrote:

Niko is right there with him IMO. McD has the minutes staring him in the face, he just needs to take them. Niko has a tougher road to get burn. Hopefully, Niko can play the 3 so Dunleavy can take over some backup 2.

Rose / Kirk / Brooks
Butler / Dunleavy / Snell
McD / Mirotic / Dunleavy
Gasol / Gibson / Mirotic
Noah / Gasol / Gibson

Niko has not gotten the same love McD has gotten this summer. Not even close. At least Niko played in a league full of grown man and made a name for himself even has garnered respect of nba guys. Niko has a tougher road, but McD gets a lot of love for doing less on a pro level.

That doesn't mean I don't believe in McD I just don't want people being upset and asking to trade him when he doesn't meet the expectations.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,607

Post#99 » by DuckIII » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm

McD gets the love because we watched him play great in summer league, and we all see an opening on the roster for him to fill.

Niko remains a bit of an unknown, and doesn't appear to have a ready-made role on this team right off the bat.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
Proven_Winner
RealGM

Post#100 » by Proven_Winner » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:46 pm

DuckIII wrote:McD gets the love because we watched him play great in summer league, and we all see an opening on the roster for him to fill.

Niko remains a bit of an unknown, and doesn't appear to have a ready-made role on this team right off the bat.

You could make a case that Doug is still an unknown and that Niko has proven more against men. Though I do see how Doug has a more likely chance to fill a role, but I still don't think that justifies all the love.

Return to Chicago Bulls