Image ImageImage Image

Anyone else getting irritated with Taj?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Re: Anyone else getting irritated with Taj? 

Post#201 » by kingkirk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:25 pm

Based on current production, our best scorer in the 2nd unit is Taj Gibson.

Any talk of the Bulls bringing in 2 accomplished scorers to supplement the 2nd unit, is extremely premature.

Not sure how this could be debated.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#202 » by kingkirk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:29 pm

Stratmaster wrote:But that wasn't where I was going. My point is that, when it comes to who should be taking shots, it doesn't matter if they struggle or are assured. If our scoring beyond Drose and Gasol is Taj and Buckets then the Bulls aren't going anywhere anyway. We need the rooks scoring if the Bulls are to be successful, which again is all the more reason Taj should NOT be the focal point of the 2nd team offense in the preseason. And is all the more reason that if Taj wants to receive the ball in the post then he has to be able to make smart decisions.

If the Rooks struggle mightily in season then yes, I can see going to Taj inside, just like last season. You aren't going to contend for a championship but you might win more games. Might.

All of my comments this preseason around Taj, and to some extent Buckets, have been based on one premise. If those guys are shooting a lot the Bulls are in trouble. I'm not saying they can't be decent offensive players. I am saying they can't be offensive difference makers who put the Bulls over the hump. The Bulls are better off putting the rooks in a position to make a difference. They have the pedigree that you know they will be difference makers at some point. The question is how quickly, and the Bulls have nothing to lose in trying to find out.

On the offensive depth chart, if you’re suggesting that McDermott & Mirotic should be getting more shots than Gibson and Butler in year one, I can’t see how that doesn’t lead to numerous issues.

1. They haven’t been overly efficient themselves. Certainly not more efficient than Gibson and Butler, two established NBA guys
2. These 2 have done nothing in this league for them to deserve such a right on a team hopefully gunning for a championship
3. If 2 rookies are your 3rd and 4th option, you’re **** anyway
4. Gibson doesn’t have the starting role, which he was promised. Taking shots way from him and Butler now will probably lead to some disharmony
5. The rookies have pedigree, but that doesn’t translate into efficient production
6. Why make things ever harder for the kids and lumping such lofty expectations on them?

Sounds terrible.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,596

Post#203 » by Ice Man » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:44 pm

I don't think Taj should be shooting a lot -- and he hasn't been. Jimmy, on the other hand ... there are games when he'll be matched up against a guard he can bully, and then absolutely. I think Jimmy should be pretty aggressive about trying to score inside this year and should draw a lot of fouls. That would be better than silent Jimmy, or 3-and-D Jimmy.
Flight33
Lead Assistant
And1: 7,887

Post#204 » by Flight33 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:27 am

Off the bench you're expected to come in and provide a scoring spark.
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,262

Post#205 » by Mk0 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:04 am

kulaz3000 wrote:[instagram]http://instagram.com/p/ue1MFzvm3n/[/instagram]

Taj answers this one for me.

He is doing his job. We need scoring off the bench. Sure I wish he would see Doug in the corner for 3, but Taj needs to establish a post presence. I have no issue with it.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#206 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:40 am

It's amazing that fans are calling for a guy with a trailing three year TS of .522% to be a high volume scorer on a team that was 29th in offense and then when the Bulls lose playoffs games with a lack of offense (every year under Thibs) then ask why.

I know what Taj can give me in April, Mirotic/McDermott are complete unknowns. I'm not sitting here saying "hey, this is not subject to change" but what I am saying is that right now, I'd rather find out what these two guys can do, especially considering the cost to acquire them.

Also, going back to the original point of his lack of passing, it would make Taj Gibson a better scorer if he passed the ball more. There are two people who think Taj passing is bad: his agent and the opposing coach.
GetBuLLish
General Manager
And1: 2,508

Post#207 » by GetBuLLish » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:01 am

Stratmaster wrote:Pretty funny how even after Boozer is gone Taj fanboys are all still mentioning Boozer in almost every comment as a way to justify Taj's value, as if being better than Boozer was last season is all that matters in assessing Taj. Pretty odd that the standard of comparison is a player who has been the whipping boy of the board for some time and who you trashed all last season as being worthless.

First of all, most people aren't comparing Taj right now to Boozer; they are comparing him to the current players on the roster. In fact, when it comes to current comparisons to Boozer, that mostly is happening with Gasol.

Second of all, I just find it hilarious that the handful of people who ardently defended Boozer for so damn long wouldn't think to maybe step away from such a similar topic or at least not be so vociferous. I mean, you guys were emphatically, monumentally, catastrophically wrong about Boozer, yet you still maintain the utmost confidence in your analysis. It's pretty amazing.

Some of us just don't agree he is an all-star PF like many on here claim.

Another strawman argument. Can you point me to the "many" posters who claim that Taj is an all-star?

Yes, Taj is not a perfect player. We all get that. You guys aren't enlightening the world with your thoughts on how he could get better. The issue is that Taj, the guy who was by far the best Bulls player in the playoffs last year and in this preseason is currently playing the best out of all our big man, is for some reason getting criticized the most out of all our big men and is one of the most criticized overall. And this criticism is being led, in large part, by the people who, again, were emphatically, monumentally, and catastrophically wrong about Boozer and the Boozer v. Gibson debate.

DanTown8587 wrote: I know what Taj can give me in April, Mirotic/McDermott are complete unknowns. I'm not sitting here saying "hey, this is not subject to change" but what I am saying is that right now, I'd rather find out what these two guys can do, especially considering the cost to acquire them.

You act like Taj is holding them back or something. They are getting more than enough minutes and opportunities. And McDermott, especially, has not exactly seized upon those opportunities.

Just makes no sense. I'm glad fans from other teams are coming here and saying as much.
Steve Brule
Veteran
And1: 124

Post#208 » by Steve Brule » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:26 am

Taj Gibson sucks ass. I've said it for three years. dude hasnt made a 15 footer since i was a little boy.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#209 » by RedBulls23 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:32 am

Stratmaster wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
Dat2U wrote:Yes, please trade the only guy that showed up in every game of the playoffs for y'all last year.

Wizards fan - "Why does your coach not start the guy who is killing us?"

Bulls fan - Shrugs.

Wizards fan - "Well, thanks."

Bulls Fan: He is playin more minutes than the guy starting in front of him, as many minutes as he should play, and playing at the end of the games. So wtf does anyone care who is in for the jump ball?

Sadly, Boozer was still playing too many minutes. His minutes should have been cut in half.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#210 » by kingkirk » Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:47 am

DanTown8587 wrote:It's amazing that fans are calling for a guy with a trailing three year TS of .522% to be a high volume scorer on a team that was 29th in offense and then when the Bulls lose playoffs games with a lack of offense (every year under Thibs) then ask why.

I know what Taj can give me in April, Mirotic/McDermott are complete unknowns. I'm not sitting here saying "hey, this is not subject to change" but what I am saying is that right now, I'd rather find out what these two guys can do, especially considering the cost to acquire them.

Also, going back to the original point of his lack of passing, it would make Taj Gibson a better scorer if he passed the ball more. There are two people who think Taj passing is bad: his agent and the opposing coach.

No one is calling for Gibson to be a high volume scorer.

Hell, based on numbers in the preseason, the team clearly isn't viewing him as some volume scorer either. He is taking 8 shots a game.

For all this talk about the Bulls force feeding him and Taj being an overzealous ball hog, the only guy shooting the ball better in preseason is Jimmy Butler.

Taj isn't shooting more than Derrick or Gasol, and won't throughout the season. Butler is right there with him in FGA.

Until McDermott & Mirotic show they can consistently crack 40% from the field, which they currently are not, they don't deserve more attempts.
Benedict Miller
General Manager
And1: 2,074

Post#211 » by Benedict Miller » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:12 am

Taj's problem is that he thinks too much offensively. He has his mind made up on how he's going to score rather than slowing down and reading the defense. If he had a better feel for the game, better awareness, he'd be an all-star.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#212 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:54 am

Steve Brule wrote:Taj Gibson sucks ass. I've said it for three years. dude hasnt made a 15 footer since i was a little boy.

You must not watch many Bulls games.

Who was better from that distance last year?

Taj Gibson

Lamarcus Aldridge

Paul Millsap

Zach Randolph

Boozer

Spoiler:
Taj was the best of the 5.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Proven_Winner
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#213 » by Proven_Winner » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:58 am

Benedict Miller wrote:Taj's problem is that he thinks too much offensively. He has his mind made up on how he's going to score rather than slowing down and reading the defense. If he had a better feel for the game, better awareness, he'd be an all-star.

I agree that he thinks too much, but I think its in the way he scores. He likes to do the same move and determines that he will do it once he gets the ball instead of mixing it up or reading how the defense is playing him.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#214 » by Stratmaster » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:53 pm

KingCuban wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:But that wasn't where I was going. My point is that, when it comes to who should be taking shots, it doesn't matter if they struggle or are assured. If our scoring beyond Drose and Gasol is Taj and Buckets then the Bulls aren't going anywhere anyway. We need the rooks scoring if the Bulls are to be successful, which again is all the more reason Taj should NOT be the focal point of the 2nd team offense in the preseason. And is all the more reason that if Taj wants to receive the ball in the post then he has to be able to make smart decisions.

If the Rooks struggle mightily in season then yes, I can see going to Taj inside, just like last season. You aren't going to contend for a championship but you might win more games. Might.

All of my comments this preseason around Taj, and to some extent Buckets, have been based on one premise. If those guys are shooting a lot the Bulls are in trouble. I'm not saying they can't be decent offensive players. I am saying they can't be offensive difference makers who put the Bulls over the hump. The Bulls are better off putting the rooks in a position to make a difference. They have the pedigree that you know they will be difference makers at some point. The question is how quickly, and the Bulls have nothing to lose in trying to find out.

On the offensive depth chart, if you’re suggesting that McDermott & Mirotic should be getting more shots than Gibson and Butler in year one, I can’t see how that doesn’t lead to numerous issues.

1. They haven’t been overly efficient themselves. Certainly not more efficient than Gibson and Butler, two established NBA guys
2. These 2 have done nothing in this league for them to deserve such a right on a team hopefully gunning for a championship
3. If 2 rookies are your 3rd and 4th option, you’re **** anyway
4. Gibson doesn’t have the starting role, which he was promised. Taking shots way from him and Butler now will probably lead to some disharmony
5. The rookies have pedigree, but that doesn’t translate into efficient production
6. Why make things ever harder for the kids and lumping such lofty expectations on them?

Sounds terrible.

It's very simple. With Taj and Butler as your 3rd and 4th scorers, the Bulls chances of winning a championship are nil. I still don't see where anyone ever promised Taj the starting job. I believe that is a myth.

So yeah, if you want exactly the same thing you got last season, by all means put Jimmy and Taj in those roles.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#215 » by ATRAIN53 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:03 pm

Any talk of the fluff piece KC ran in the Trib the other day about the Gasol/Gibson dinner date?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/ba ... story.html

It made me feel better that there isn't a major rift between the guys and perhaps Taj will learn a few tricks from Gasol.

How can folks get irritated with a guy who continually sacrifices for the benefit of the team?
There's a reason his name is always in trade rumors.....
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#216 » by Axl Rose » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:08 pm

i dont have a problem with him being agressive trying to score but when you get tripled pass the ball jeez
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#217 » by Ice Man » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:22 pm

Stratmaster wrote:With Taj and Butler as your 3rd and 4th scorers

Hell, I think Jimmy might be our 2nd scorer.

Jo don't score much
Pau is old
Miro is a rookie bench player
Mike don't score much
Doug is a rookie bench player
Taj will be at 10-12 per game
Kirk is Kirk
Brooks, no way
Snell, no way

I think I just depressed you.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#218 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:29 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:With Taj and Butler as your 3rd and 4th scorers

Hell, I think Jimmy might be our 2nd scorer.

Jo don't score much
Pau is old
Miro is a rookie bench player
Mike don't score much
Doug is a rookie bench player
Taj will be at 10-12 per game
Kirk is Kirk
Brooks, no way
Snell, no way

I think I just depressed you.

It's depressing if we have the JB of last season and he is our 2nd option. BUT, if we get the 2012-13 Jimmy Butler and the 2013 playoff Jimmy Butler. He could be a 18 PPG scorer on high efficiency if he hits the corner 3 like he has shown he can.. and he gets to the line like he has shown he can. That is a good 2nd option on any team.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#219 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:37 pm

Stratmaster wrote:
GetBuLLish wrote:Pretty funny how the years long Boozer backers have practically all made a concerted effort to trash Taj, even after Boozer has left.

Very successful effort. Gotta give you guys that.

Pretty funny how even after Boozer is gone Taj fanboys are all still mentioning Boozer in almost every comment as a way to justify Taj's value, as if being better than Boozer was last season is all that matters in assessing Taj. Pretty odd that the standard of comparison is a player who has been the whipping boy of the board for some time and who you trashed all last season as being worthless.

No one is trashing Taj, and if you read the posts without the fan colored glasses you would see that. Some of us don't agree that Taj is a great, or even good, offensive post player. Even his worst critics acknowledge he is one of the top 6th men in the league. Some of us just don't agree he is an all-star PF like many on here claim.

Yeah I don't see what this has to do with Boozer either and bringing him up adds nothing to the conversation. We're discussing a player who's been irrationally conditioned to not pass the ball each time he might have a chance to score.

Dantown nailed it. It makes no sense to turn pedestrian efficient, low offensive talents into into volume scorers and then wonder why your team can't fix their offensive problems after another postseason bounce. If Butler and Taj sadly project to be two of our top 4 scorers, we need them to play smarter on that side of the court.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#220 » by Ice Man » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:46 pm

Red Larrivee wrote: It makes no sense to turn pedestrian efficient, low offensive talents into into volume scorers

Taj is not a volume scorer. And won't be.

As for Jimmy, I have no idea what he will be like. Spring 2013 Jimmy was an excellent 3-and-D scorer. Last season's foot-injury Jimmy was a rotten high-volume player. The Jimmy of this pre-season was neither 3-and-D nor bad at volume scoring.

So I make no predictions. But I would not be shocked to see him be fairly high volume for this team, and to do well at the task.

Return to Chicago Bulls