Image ImageImage Image

Update: Butler out 2-4 Weeks (pg 3)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Re: Update on Jimmy's thumb sprain. (semi positive) 

Post#21 » by Wont PerDont » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:41 pm

fleet wrote:
RebuildaBulls wrote:His sprain was caused by the ball, I doubt it tore any ligaments

every sprain tears ligaments to some degree. Some are minor, some are more serious and take more time to heal short of surgery.

Ehh, you can stretch ligaments and by definition sprain a joint. It's just a severity issue and hopefully it's closer to that end with Jimmy.
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
LoveDaBoo
RealGM
And1: 1,961

Post#22 » by LoveDaBoo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:59 pm

Ctownbulls wrote:
LoveDaBoo wrote:I've said it before, but I'll say it again here: this is bad. I sprained my thumb on October 1st of last year, and it was still very much bothering me at the start of the summer. The first few months, it was very difficult for me to hold a pen, because the pressure was too much. These things take forever to heal, and there's nothing you can do about it.

That said, it's his non-shooting hand, so he at least has that going for him. But I'd bet it bothers him all season long, and he re-aggravates it fairly regularly.

Eh, sprained thumb on non-shooting hand. It may bother him all season but I doubt it will have much if any impact on his play (except for him maybe not being as hot to start the season).

Well, you often hold the ball with two hands and you pass with two hands. His grip will suck, badly. Someone shook my hand in May, and I winced.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
Woj: The NBA's Dickie Dunn.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Post#23 » by RebuildaBulls » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:23 am

Well he can still run, hope he keeps his conditioning up. He started last year strong till an injury caused him to miss games and wasnt the same after, hope its not a repeat
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#24 » by Ice Man » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:08 am

Disappointing. But a hand is better than a foot, and a foot is better than a knee, and a nonshooting hand is best of all of them. Looking on the bright side.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,400

Post#25 » by fleet » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:13 am

A knee equals two feet
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
LoveDaBoo
RealGM

Post#26 » by LoveDaBoo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:30 am

Ice Man wrote:Disappointing. But a hand is better than a foot, and a foot is better than a knee, and a nonshooting hand is best of all of them. Looking on the bright side.

I guess, but a thumb is bad. When you injure your thumb, you realize quickly how bad it is. I've also had turf-toe (both the thumb and the toe were the result of bike crashes), and the thumb was probably worse for me. Both took like a year to heal to the point where they didn't hurt under the slightest pressure. Both still hurt to a degree.

Jimmy will still be able to move around fine, but passing, catching, picking up loose balls.. these will all be problems. Plus you're generally protective of the injury, and you just generally use your hands lots in basketball.
Step 1: instead of "ass" say "buns." Like "kiss my buns" or "you're a buns-hole."
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#27 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:46 am

LoveDaBoo wrote:
Ice Man wrote:Disappointing. But a hand is better than a foot, and a foot is better than a knee, and a nonshooting hand is best of all of them. Looking on the bright side.

I guess, but a thumb is bad. When you injure your thumb, you realize quickly how bad it is. I've also had turf-toe (both the thumb and the toe were the result of bike crashes), and the thumb was probably worse for me. Both took like a year to heal to the point where they didn't hurt under the slightest pressure. Both still hurt to a degree.

Jimmy will still be able to move around fine, but passing, catching, picking up loose balls.. these will all be problems. Plus you're generally protective of the injury, and you just generally use your hands lots in basketball.

I'm thinking yours might have been much worse than Jimmy's no?
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
LoveDaBoo
RealGM

Post#28 » by LoveDaBoo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:07 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
LoveDaBoo wrote:

Based on his reaction, no. Your big toes and your thumbs are constantly used. It's very hard to heal either, because you constantly reinjure either. I sustained various injuries in both cases, so it wasn't immediately obvious that the thumb or the toe was going to be the worst, but even if either had been, I don't know I would have reacted as much as Jimmy. He was clearly in a lot of pain. My hope is that he jammed his thumb or something, because I'm telling you, a big-time sprained thumb is real trouble.
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#29 » by dumbell78 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:36 am

Give him the time he needs to heal, really won't kill us if he sits for two weeks or so. I don't want him to be hurt all year long with a nagging thumb injury. We can manage somehow this early.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
IWannaGoHIGHER
Veteran
And1: 326

Post#30 » by IWannaGoHIGHER » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:51 am

Lets not judge severity when we have absolutely nothing to base it off of.

But this is the Bulls board ... so eh **** it
Ugly Duckling
Veteran
And1: 1,538

Post#31 » by Ugly Duckling » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:53 am

I sprained my thumb the same exact way. I was fine in a few days.
mudsak wrote:Watching Kawhi plow through the playoffs like the most stoic gangster to walk the earth has been one of the most epic things I've watched in a while.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Update on Jimmy's thumb sprain. (semi positive) 

Post#32 » by RebuildaBulls » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:35 am

d-rose [heroes] wrote:I sprained my thumb the same exact way. I was fine in a few days.

I actually sprained my thumb the same way he did back in highschool ball. Cant say we have the exact same severity but mine was fine in less than 10 days. I probably sprained, dislocated or jammed all my fingers at different times from bad catches or swatting the ball.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#33 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:46 am

I just hope he can play in the opener in NYC. Out of everyone on the team, other than Derrick, Jimmy is the one guy we cannot afford to have go down for any significant time. Jimmy out really screws up the rotations. It forces Kirk to the 2 and forces big minutes for Brooks and more for Snell. Great for the PS, but not when it counts, I weakens the team at the thinnest spot and really hurts the bench, too.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#34 » by madvillian » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:16 am

LoveDaBoo wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
LoveDaBoo wrote:I guess, but a thumb is bad. When you injure your thumb, you realize quickly how bad it is. I've also had turf-toe (both the thumb and the toe were the result of bike crashes), and the thumb was probably worse for me. Both took like a year to heal to the point where they didn't hurt under the slightest pressure. Both still hurt to a degree.

Based on his reaction, no. Your big toes and your thumbs are constantly used. It's very hard to heal either, because you constantly reinjure either. I sustained various injuries in both cases, so it wasn't immediately obvious that the thumb or the toe was going to be the worst, but even if either had been, I don't know I would have reacted as much as Jimmy. He was clearly in a lot of pain. My hope is that he jammed his thumb or something, because I'm telling you, a big-time sprained thumb is real trouble.

Getting old sucks man. I'm 31 now, I'm pretty active and I've got quite a few nagging little issues. One of them is turf toe. Hiking aggravates it the most although tennis isn't great for it either.

I can't even really play basketball much anymore too hard on my knees. Maybe if I dropped down to like 12-15% body fat I could play but at 20% no way. I'm not even that out of shape but the 15 extra lbs are a lot harder to carry at 31 than 21. I feel pretty lucky too I know more than one person around my age that can't really do much of any sports anymore because of old injuries. My knees and joints are relatively intact as I hit middle age, knock on wood.

anyways, back on topic, I think Jimmy will miss 3-4 weeks. That should be the time frame. It's one thing to have every day use back but he can't keep re-injuring it constantly and then have offseason surgery. Let it heal.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
maynardo
Bench Warmer
And1: 874

Post#35 » by maynardo » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:19 am

We really need another wing defender, I mean Dunleavy was guarding LeBron against Cleveland, that's fine in preseason, but if Jimmy gets injured in the playoffs we're gonna get killed on the perimeter. I kinda expected the bulls to keep R Brewer just as wing defender insurance,
madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Post#36 » by madvillian » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:00 am

maynardo wrote:We really need another wing defender, I mean Dunleavy was guarding LeBron against Cleveland, that's fine in preseason, but if Jimmy gets injured in the playoffs we're gonna get killed on the perimeter. I kinda expected the bulls to keep R Brewer just as wing defender insurance,

It sucks that Snell sucks.
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#37 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:18 am

They just said on CSN the MRI results show no ligament tears at all. They actually said no ligament damage. They're still keeping him out Friday, which is smart. But, this sounds like the kind that heals in days and not weeks. GREAT news.

It would be really bad if it's the kind of thing that keeps you out for weeks and there's severe ligament damage.. those are the ones like what LoveDaBoos is talking about that linger for months and months and sometimes over a year.I've had those, where just shaking hands the wrong way with someone would hurt and aggravate it. It lasted for about a year. That's the kind of thing that F'd up Luol Deng.. He never really got his money midrange shot back... even still it seems.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#38 » by kyrv » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:26 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:They just said on CSN the MRI results show no ligament tears at all. They actually said no ligament damage. They're still keeping him out Friday, which is smart. But, this sounds like the kind that heals in days and not weeks. GREAT news.

It would be really bad if it's the kind of thing that keeps you out for weeks and there's severe ligament damage.. those are the ones like what LoveDaBoos is talking about that linger for months and months and sometimes over a year.I've had those, where just shaking hands the wrong way with someone would hurt and aggravate it. It lasted for about a year. That's the kind of thing that F'd up Luol Deng.. He never really got his money midrange shot back... even still it seems.

Thanks that is awesome.

I agree Butler out is bad.

Oddly enough for the Brooks haters Kirk is 3rd worse after Rose and Butler.
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#39 » by Future Coach » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:50 am

I've hurt my left thumb too. Broke it in two places in one event, and years later dislocated it playing basketball. So my injuries are different than Butler's, and hopefully mine are considerably more serious than his. A thumb is very easy to re-injure; especially playing basketball. The way I have re-injured mine the most playing basketball is the very same way Butler hurt his in the first place, reaching into the passing lane to get a steal. Since he is active in the passing lanes, I think it is entirely plausible he will re-injure it. He will need to deflect the ball with the side of his hand by the pinky if he doesn't want to re-injure it, and since he plays at higher speeds than I do/did that might be a harder adjustment for him to make than it was for me. Hopefully he recovers and heals quickly, because thumb injuries do impact your ability to dribble with that hand, finish around the basket with that hand, and just overall confidently reach out and make plays with that hand.

But hopefully his thumb isn't hurt that bad and they can tape it comfortably, though I never really found a good way

Heal quickly Jimmy, heal quickly
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#40 » by MrSparkle » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:42 am

I've had 2 major thumb sprains from B-ball... Took me years to "fully" recover, but I didn't properly treat them. It took months before I could take a lot of pressure on them, but still, problem re-injury becomes a problem, and having a torn ligament is very bad.

It's a bummer as he was having a great pre-season before the injury (just like LAST YEAR!!! :o hope it's not the same), but fortunately it's his left hand (non-shooting, right?)... he's a very pesky player and he's putting his hands in dangerous spots (picking passes, crashing the glass), so I really hope he has a swift recovery.

Return to Chicago Bulls