Image ImageImage Image

Kind of OT: The Tank is Real in Philly

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Re: Kind of OT: The Tank is Real in Philly 

Post#61 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:27 pm

What seems to work is the "timely unintentional tank" rather than the "intentional" tank, unless of course the talent at the top looks to be truly franchise-defining.
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
85Bears
Pro Prospect
And1: 135

Post#62 » by 85Bears » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:51 pm

I think Philly can be good as early as next season. Nérlens Noel could have a Blake type of come back from injury and Embiid has potential. If those guys are close to what they project, it could be best set of bigs in the league. Max cap space in a new free agency landscape, things can turn quick in Philly.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#63 » by Mech Engineer » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:12 pm

The 6ft Hurdle wrote:Watching the 2007-2008 season, I wonder if that was a semi-tank move or if we actually really sucked. All the pieces from our successful almost 50 win 2006-2007 season were still in place, except we had Boylan to completely make sure that we missed the playoffs.

So are you saying the Cavs are probably going to tank for next year's first pick because they have Jim Boylan as a coach and he will take over after Blatt is fired :wink:
The 6ft Hurdle
Lead Assistant
And1: 493

Post#64 » by The 6ft Hurdle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 1:25 pm

Mech Engineer wrote:
The 6ft Hurdle wrote:Watching the 2007-2008 season, I wonder if that was a semi-tank move or if we actually really sucked. All the pieces from our successful almost 50 win 2006-2007 season were still in place, except we had Boylan to completely make sure that we missed the playoffs.

So are you saying the Cavs are probably going to tank for next year's first pick because they have Jim Boylan as a coach and he will take over after Blatt is fired :wink:

I can't speak to Boylan's record outside of "cleaning up" Skiles' messes. But no one can argue with his results to date!
TLDR: Current Pulse Readings (9/2/22)
Bulls: :pray:
UCLA Basketball: :dontknow:
UCLA Football: Chip Kelly magic time
Cubs: Uh, 2016
Blackhawks: Uh, 2015
Bears: Poor Justin Fields
FC Barcelona: Economic levers :dontknow: :cheesygrin:
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Kind of OT: The Tank is Real in Philly 

Post#65 » by RebuildaBulls » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:30 pm

Cavs also could be considered a good tank example come to think of it. They tanked enough to pick up a bunch of talented high draft picks that convinced Lebron to comeback and gave the Cavs valuable assets to get Love to Cleveland.

Nobody mentions it, but that was a successful tank-job in disguise that was successful in a different way, those high draft picks are not only players but huge assets
Tetlak
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,134

Re: Kinda OT: The Tank is Real in Philly 

Post#66 » by Tetlak » Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:22 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:As an ex tank contributor I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

It won't end well. They definitely will not come close to winning a Championship in the next five years and after that, most of the players they have now and draft next year will all be gone anyway and they'll still be no better than a middling team.

There really isn't a single successful tanking story in the history of the NBA. And no, the Spurs aren't one either.

The last 15 NBA titles were won by teams who haven't had a top three pick in the last 14 years. Except Miami and they drafted Beasley (2).

Out of the last ten NBA Champions the only teams who have had a top ten pick in the last 14 years was Bynum to the Lakers (10) and Wade (5).

Ask yourself why all the teams who are in the draft lottery are perpetually there, year after year after year, with few exceptions. Why are all the leagues best teams teams that never, or very rarely have a high pick in the draft.. For years the Lakers, the Spurs, hell, all the teams who have been consistently good.. none of them have had high picks from tanking.

OKC, GSW's and the Spurs and Bulls are really the only good teams (contenders) that were built almost entirely organically and none of them tanked to do it. The Warriors didn't tank to get Thompson or Curry.

The Sonics traded Ray Allen and let Rashard Lewis go in the same season. That my friend, is a successful tanking story.
kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#67 » by kdapiton » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:44 pm

Tank-commander Teague has been reinstated.

It's on.
we go jim
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Kinda OT: The Tank is Real in Philly 

Post#68 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Tetlak wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:As an ex tank contributor I look forward to seeing how this plays out.

It won't end well. They definitely will not come close to winning a Championship in the next five years and after that, most of the players they have now and draft next year will all be gone anyway and they'll still be no better than a middling team.

There really isn't a single successful tanking story in the history of the NBA. And no, the Spurs aren't one either.

The last 15 NBA titles were won by teams who haven't had a top three pick in the last 14 years. Except Miami and they drafted Beasley (2).

Out of the last ten NBA Champions the only teams who have had a top ten pick in the last 14 years was Bynum to the Lakers (10) and Wade (5).

Ask yourself why all the teams who are in the draft lottery are perpetually there, year after year after year, with few exceptions. Why are all the leagues best teams teams that never, or very rarely have a high pick in the draft.. For years the Lakers, the Spurs, hell, all the teams who have been consistently good.. none of them have had high picks from tanking.

OKC, GSW's and the Spurs and Bulls are really the only good teams (contenders) that were built almost entirely organically and none of them tanked to do it. The Warriors didn't tank to get Thompson or Curry.

The Sonics traded Ray Allen and let Rashard Lewis go in the same season. That my friend, is a successful tanking story.

They already had Durant, though. The team was moving also. They tanked got the 4th pick and got lucky to get Westbrook. They could have taken OJ Mayo or Beasley. You have to get lucky too.

I guess you can call it successful if they win a title.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#69 » by Red Larrivee » Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

Tank Commander Teague...one of the few entertaining things about last season. Truly the best in the world at what he does.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#70 » by pylb » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:18 pm

The Nets have officially traded Marquis Teague and Milwaukee's 2019 2nd-round pick for Casper Ware.

2nd round picks don't really matter, but lol at the Nets needing to sweeten a deal in which they're trading for Casper Ware. We did a really good job trading Teague for Toko after foolishly picking up his option.
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#71 » by ptpablo » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:56 pm

Does snell get his option picked up?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
What do you guys want me to do, turn my brain off because I have a huge basketball IQ?
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#72 » by SpinninHouse » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:28 pm

Good for them. Just another team we'll obliterate.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#73 » by kyrv » Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:40 am

Red Larrivee wrote:Tank Commander Teague...one of the few entertaining things about last season. Truly the best in the world at what he does.

He's going to be typecast.

Return to Chicago Bulls