Image ImageImage Image

Around the NBA: Brand New Season! (also, Lebron played bad)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Re: Around the NBA: Brand New Season! (also, Lebron played b 

Post#1881 » by kdapiton » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:20 am

Meanwhile in Dallas :o
we go jim
tecumseh18
RealGM
And1: 10,094

Post#1882 » by tecumseh18 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:57 am

MrSparkle wrote:
CousinOfDeath wrote:The Raptors are getting so god damn overrated. Pacers part 2.

I don't like taking away credit from a team that's doing well... they're playing good basketball. Problem is they don't have a superstar, so it's hard to see them as too serious a threat down the stretch.

I mean, we're not that intimidating unless Rose plays and is in MVP form. The best team with the best player(s) wins. When the moons and stars align, even at their age Manu can still play like a top-rated SG, Parker like a #1 PG, Duncan like a #1 PF/C. The consistencies not there, and they'll drift into being menial role-players, but their ceiling is still high. On their best days, DeRozan and Lowry aren't in that company.

That's why I'm glad we have Gasol. And Mirotic. Along with Jimmy's huge leap, these guys really elevate our "ceiling." They'll have bad games due to age (old or young), or due to not being a great shooter (Jimmy), but when they're "on", very few 7-footers are in Pau's company as far as pure skill goes (Aldridge, Marc, Griffin, Duncan). Mirotic's 3P arc looks very on-point. Jimmy's defense is DPOY-caliber.

I love Noah (well, the healthy/good version), but at his best, his post-up buckets remind me of when Rodman's free-throws or 3Ps went in. Ugly, lucky... not very reliable. :lol: His man-to-man never amazed me either. He's good at the all-around intangibles, but back in Howard's prime, things got nasty once he started backing Noah. He doesn't have the Asik mass and length to really shut down scorers.

But with Rose, we've got a more-rounded arsenal of big-time players. Still a 2-team East IMO. Not counting Cavs out as a finals team until I see their state in April/May. Making the playoffs is cake in the east. We're easily beyond Toronto. And Washington. Unless inju... eh, let's stop repeating that.

Yeah, I don't think many of us Raps fans would disagree. DeRozan and Lowry have an all-star ceiling, which isn't bad, but neither will ever be the undefendable "superstar" - like Pau in the game against us a few weeks ago - that as you say a true contender needs. Going into this season, our hope was that Valanciunas or T-Ross would emerge. J-Val (who had a career high tonight) is still a definite maybe, and Ross is a maybe maybe, but probably not.

The Raps version of Mirotic is Bruno Cabuclo, although we're stashing him on the bench, not in Europe. But his ceiling MAY be higher. We'll see.

But the main reason we're overrated right now is that Amir Johnson with his ankle issues is a shell of his former self. He is a combination of Taj and Noah for us, and we're just not the same team without him at 100%.
Ari_Emanuel
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,835

Post#1883 » by Ari_Emanuel » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:14 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
MrSparkle wrote:
CousinOfDeath wrote:The Raptors are getting so god damn overrated. Pacers part 2.

I don't like taking away credit from a team that's doing well... they're playing good basketball. Problem is they don't have a superstar, so it's hard to see them as too serious a threat down the stretch.

I mean, we're not that intimidating unless Rose plays and is in MVP form. The best team with the best player(s) wins. When the moons and stars align, even at their age Manu can still play like a top-rated SG, Parker like a #1 PG, Duncan like a #1 PF/C. The consistencies not there, and they'll drift into being menial role-players, but their ceiling is still high. On their best days, DeRozan and Lowry aren't in that company.

That's why I'm glad we have Gasol. And Mirotic. Along with Jimmy's huge leap, these guys really elevate our "ceiling." They'll have bad games due to age (old or young), or due to not being a great shooter (Jimmy), but when they're "on", very few 7-footers are in Pau's company as far as pure skill goes (Aldridge, Marc, Griffin, Duncan). Mirotic's 3P arc looks very on-point. Jimmy's defense is DPOY-caliber.

I love Noah (well, the healthy/good version), but at his best, his post-up buckets remind me of when Rodman's free-throws or 3Ps went in. Ugly, lucky... not very reliable. :lol: His man-to-man never amazed me either. He's good at the all-around intangibles, but back in Howard's prime, things got nasty once he started backing Noah. He doesn't have the Asik mass and length to really shut down scorers.

But with Rose, we've got a more-rounded arsenal of big-time players. Still a 2-team East IMO. Not counting Cavs out as a finals team until I see their state in April/May. Making the playoffs is cake in the east. We're easily beyond Toronto. And Washington. Unless inju... eh, let's stop repeating that.

I've always compared them to the 04-05 era Chicago Bulls teams. Solid depth, solid roster throughout but no superstar. Plus, both teams played extremely hard every single game (well mostly every single game), and those teams will win you plenty of regular season games, but once the playoffs start you need that superstar player as you mentioned.

Still, they have two really good players in Lowry and DeRozan (like Gordon and Deng at their peak with the Bulls), where they can share the load, but when it comes down to it, the NBA will and will always be a superstar league.

Raps are head and shoulders above 04-05 Chicago team in terms of talent. Lowry is a very high impact two way player, not a sweet shooting combo guard like Ben Gordon. Our most promising players are all 25 or under (Demar, Ross and Val). Lou Williams is a 6th man of the year type, Amir an elite pick and roll defender. Hayes a saavy vet, Vasquez could start at pg on a bunch of teams...
neurotik wrote:
Raps Maniac wrote:
Risk101 wrote:Inb4 the ass jokes.

But that's his downside.

No thats his backside.

Lowry's upside is mental and psychological.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#1884 » by Rerisen » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:37 am

Right now I think the best 3 teams are in the West.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1885 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:49 am

Rerisen wrote:Right now I think the best 3 teams are in the West.

Glad we get to see only one of them in the playoffs.

Let them fight it out. We'll take care of the hobbled survivor.

Provided we ourselves are not hobbling at that time. :)
For love, not money.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#1886 » by kingkirk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 9:17 am

Rerisen wrote:Right now I think the best 3 teams are in the West.

MEM, SAS & GSW?

If so, i agree.

Depending on when Durant & Westbrook get back, it could be 4.
gstephanopulos
Sixth Man
And1: 823

Post#1887 » by gstephanopulos » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:26 am

So this is the best SG in the league?
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#1888 » by DASMACKDOWN » Tue Nov 25, 2014 1:26 pm

gstephanopulos wrote:Image

Honestly, there is a difference to being poor at defense and making no effort.

But in Harden's case. its actually both.
The Cult of Personality
umfan83
RealGM
And1: 3,265

Post#1889 » by umfan83 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:45 pm

I was starting to get concerned with Toronto's start (although our win at their place tempers that worry a bit) but then I realzied that 10 of their first 14 have been at home? While 9 of our first 14 have been on the road? And we're only 3 GB? Not bad.

Not only that but in the next 14 games Toronto (7H,7R) has more home games than Chicago (6H, 8R)

Gonna be fun enjoying the nice run of home games while Toronto is potentially struggling on the road.
RealGM Bulls Board veteran of the following failed epic battles:
-Kobe (2008)
-Amare (2009)
-Bosh (2010 trade deadline and FA)
-LeBron (2010)
-Wade (2010)
-Melo (2014)
NG15
Bench Warmer
And1: 155

Post#1890 » by NG15 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:50 pm

gstephanopulos wrote:Image

His controller disconnected.
jumpmanjay
Analyst
And1: 703

Post#1891 » by jumpmanjay » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:54 pm

Could you imagine-

"Melo never had back spasms until Thibs ran him into the ground"

or

"Deng had wrist problems, Jimmy had wrist problems, now Kevin Martin has a fractured wrist. It's a pattern. Thibs needs to ease up on them before the whole team has broken wrists."

or

"When is Thibs going to learn how to use [Mayo/Courtney Lee/Tmac]? Thibs turned these guys into worthless players."

Sorry, just entertaining myself.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#1892 » by 720 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:16 pm

umfan83 wrote:I was starting to get concerned with Toronto's start (although our win at their place tempers that worry a bit) but then I realzied that 10 of their first 14 have been at home? While 9 of our first 14 have been on the road? And we're only 3 GB? Not bad.

Not only that but in the next 14 games Toronto (7H,7R) has more home games than Chicago (6H, 8R)

Gonna be fun enjoying the nice run of home games while Toronto is potentially struggling on the road.

You guys will have the better record, Bulls are the better team.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#1893 » by musiqsoulchild » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:45 pm

VC720 wrote:
umfan83 wrote:I was starting to get concerned with Toronto's start (although our win at their place tempers that worry a bit) but then I realzied that 10 of their first 14 have been at home? While 9 of our first 14 have been on the road? And we're only 3 GB? Not bad.

You guys will have the better record, Bulls are the better team.

Sometimes better team has nothing to do with better record.

Especially with a brittle team like ours.
For love, not money.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#1894 » by MC3 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:32 am

Damn steph is nasty as hell. Like playing video game. He used Bosh as screen at 3pt line lol
Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#1895 » by Tenchi Ryu » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:48 am

Steph don't even run plays at this point...

Give him the ball, do some cooking, splash.

Rinse, repeat.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Swarles Xavier
Senior
And1: 248

Post#1896 » by Swarles Xavier » Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:49 am

Steph is a bit too good. MVP good so far. If the pelicans don't end with a decent record and if Lebron don't step up I see Steph being the MVP this year.
Hendrix
RealGM
And1: 3,662

Post#1897 » by Hendrix » Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:34 am

MrSparkle wrote:

I don't see how the Bulls are easily beyond Toronto. What have they done to prove that they are far and away better? I think it is kind of ridiculous to suggest that it is a 2 team East, and not even include the teams with the top 2 records in the East. Cleveland has to show something before they deserve to be included as being far and away a top 2 team. I'm not counting them out of the ECF's, but on the other hand, you can't count them favorites either at this point.

I also don't really see how super-stars matter all that much. There is 1 superstar in the entire conference that will be in the playoffs. Maybe Rose can get back to that level, but he hasn't shown he can be healthy, or that he's even better than Lowry at this point. 2 all stars isn't exactly bad in the East.

I don't think you are giving enough credit to Lowry really. He's probably one of the best players in the conference in the clutch. He's currently 2nd in the East behind only Lebron in the MVP rankings, 1st in the East in WS's, 3rd in the East in PER, and 1st in the EAST in VORP.

The team with the best player doesn't always win. The Spurs just won a title. The 2000's Pistons didn't always have the best player. The Blazers beat the Rockets last year. The team that wins, is usually the best team. The best team has the best player on it a lot of the time, but that is not always the case. It's not even like Toronto lacks talent anyways though in comparison to Eastern teams. It's still early but 3 of the top 5 PER's in the East are Toronto players, and that is not even including Demar.
oak2455 wrote:Do understand English???
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#1898 » by terry » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:42 am

The Lakers have been awarded a 4.8 million dollar Injured Player Exception for the injury to Steve Nash and his back.

Can someone explain why the Bulls have never received an injured player exception for Derrick Rose? And how that all works?
Indomitable
RealGM
And1: 5,412

Post#1899 » by Indomitable » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:54 pm

terry wrote:The Lakers have been awarded a 4.8 million dollar Injured Player Exception for the injury to Steve Nash and his back.

Can someone explain why the Bulls have never received an injured player exception for Derrick Rose? And how that all works?

You first have to ask for one after the player is done for the season. We never did
:banghead:
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#1900 » by pylb » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:33 pm

Return to Chicago Bulls