Image Image Image Image

General Off-season Discussion

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Re: OT: Bears 

Post#501 » by CjayC » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:15 pm

It was sabotaged from the jump. The veteran presence on the never stopped being loyal to Lovie, so it made no sense to get rid of Urlacher for that reason and not Tillman and Briggs as well.

Also heard on 670 this morning that Redskins are willing to swap 1st round picks plus they will throw in Kirk Cousins. Anyone hear that also? I'd have to pull the trigger on that if we get the chance to dump Cutler's salary and start over.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#502 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:24 pm

Cutler will stay due to the alternative and no one will want his contract. The Bills and Texans may take him but won't give us anything and will want us to give him some money.

I'd prefer we trade Cutler and start over and hopefully get a young guy like Carr in Oakland that Harbaugh could mold. I think Harbaugh could work with Cutler too though.

We've got to get back to Bears football.... Tough Coach, Physical D, Running the football, and use our size in the throwing the ball downfield. What HAS TO HAPPEN is the Bears sign Harbaugh. I just don't see the Bears paying Trestman and staff to go away and making Harbaugh the highest paid coach in the NFL.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#503 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:26 pm

CjayC wrote:It was sabotaged from the jump. The veteran presence on the never stopped being loyal to Lovie, so it made no sense to get rid of Urlacher for that reason and not Tillman and Briggs as well.

Also heard on 670 this morning that Redskins are willing to swap 1st round picks plus they will throw in Kirk Cousins. Anyone hear that also? I'd have to pull the trigger on that if we get the chance to dump Cutler's salary and start over.

Kinda agree with the Lovie leftovers but Tillman and Briggs were still pro bowl players. Had Emery traded them at peak value and refueled it may have been different.

I'd be very happy with Mariota and Cousins for Cutler. Cutler in WAS with Daniel Snyder would be pure comedy. Snyder is dumb enough to pull the trigger. RGIII will have to move on. His time in WAS is up.
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#504 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:35 pm

Cannot imagine TB, Tennesse and the Jets all passing on Mariotta for the Bears to trade Cutler to get him.
Chi town
RealGM

Post#505 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:40 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Cannot imagine TB, Tennesse and the Jets all passing on Mariotta for the Bears to trade Cutler to get him.

True. He'll be gone. No other QB's really look good either.

I like Cousins though. Lower cieling but higher floor than Cutler. He wont be a turnover machine. More like McCown.

I think Harbaugh would want to keep Cutler though. Fix him.
otwok
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,327

Post#506 » by otwok » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:55 pm

CjayC wrote:

If that's the deal, you have to do it. But it really wouldn't be much of a swap unless it became top 3 which I doubt since you have oakland, jacksonville, tennessee possibly the jets, and tampa bay all with worse records. The swap would be 5 for 7 or 8. We'd have to get their second this year too
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#507 » by DanTown8587 » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:05 pm

Chi town wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:Cannot imagine TB, Tennesse and the Jets all passing on Mariotta for the Bears to trade Cutler to get him.

I like Cousins though. Lower cieling but higher floor than Cutler. He wont be a turnover machine. More like McCown.

Is this a serious statement about Kirk Cousins? If you think Jay turns it over a lot then Kirk Cousins is the last guy you'd want to be your QB.

Appeared in 14 games and threw 19 INT. Lost 5 fumbles. Kirk was a mid round pick who came to the league and has struggled to make reads. I'm not sure that's a guy I want to invest any potential in as a starting QB. Tells me everything that Jay Gruden has done everything he can to keep Cousins out of the lineup.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt Harbaugh leaves SF to stay in the NFL. If he's going to go to a team, why would he not go to Michigan, build the program and then decide every year if he's going to take some 10-11 win team? No reason to rush to the Jets, Raiders, or Redskins.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#508 » by dice » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:11 pm

blumeany wrote:Also, Trent Green's interview on Waddle and Silvy was very telling. He pointed out how he noticed multiple instances per game on the film where Cutler was making serious mental errors. One specific one he called out was where Cutler would throw to the side that had man coverage when the other side was in quarters and prime for the picking. These mistakes have persisted his whole career, despite so many coaches trying to coach it out of him.

He did also say that the kind of coach Cutler needs is a hard-ass that will tell him what to do. He gave an example of how Holmgren was with Favre - basically threatening to bench him if he didn't follow the game plan and throw where Holmgren was telling him to throw. So, essentially, Holmgren was training Favre to think better on the field. Green believes that Trestman has been too nice (something that's been said by several sources) and isn't holding Jay accountable at all.

favre was nothing when holmgren got a hold of him. cutler's game is pretty baked in at this point

anyway, favre still threw a boatload of interceptions despite any positive effect holmgren had on his development, so i'm not sure how good the analogy is to begin with
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Chi town
RealGM

Post#509 » by Chi town » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:18 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Is this a serious statement about Kirk Cousins? If you think Jay turns it over a lot then Kirk Cousins is the last guy you'd want to be your QB.

Appeared in 14 games and threw 19 INT. Lost 5 fumbles. Kirk was a mid round pick who came to the league and has struggled to make reads. I'm not sure that's a guy I want to invest any potential in as a starting QB. Tells me everything that Jay Gruden has done everything he can to keep Cousins out of the lineup.

Also, I HIGHLY doubt Harbaugh leaves SF to stay in the NFL. If he's going to go to a team, why would he not go to Michigan, build the program and then decide every year if he's going to take some 10-11 win team? No reason to rush to the Jets, Raiders, or Redskins.

Didn't realize Cousins turned it over that much. I know he had some great games as well.
CjayC
RealGM
And1: 1,141

Post#510 » by CjayC » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:01 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Harbaughs family does extensive charity work in Peru in the summer. That could be a deciding factor in him not going as it is very time consuming dealing with university politics, and recruiting visits.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#511 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:42 pm

Chi town wrote:

Cousins isn't an NFL starting QB.
Chowda
Junior
And1: 156

Post#512 » by Chowda » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:
Chi town wrote:

Cousins isn't an NFL starting QB.

Neither is Cutler. Not anymore. Woof.

Stunner from Chicago: Bears starting QB Jimmy Clausen this week, per source. (https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status ... 31680?s=17)

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#513 » by Red Larrivee » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:46 pm

From Adam Schefter: Clausen starting Sunday against Detroit.

Just when I thought this couldn't get uglier...your 2014 Chicago Bears.
ChicagoStrong
General Manager
And1: 2,346

Post#514 » by ChicagoStrong » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:49 pm

Jimmy Clausen is starting

MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Re: OT: Bears (Up: Trestman likely out, Clausen Starting Sun 

Post#515 » by MAQ » Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:55 pm

Wow
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#516 » by RedBulls23 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:05 am

Trestman trying anything to save his job.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dumbell78
General Manager
And1: 5,290

Post#517 » by dumbell78 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:15 am

Jay benched, lulz.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong.
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,847

Post#518 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:16 am

Holy ****
Bulls69
Head Coach
And1: 411

Post#519 » by Bulls69 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:17 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Trestman trying anything to save his job.

To f'kn late this moron has turn the Bears Franchise into a comic show.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums mobile app
Knicksgod wrote: I know LeBron won't go to Chicago. There could be another surprise team, but if he leaves Cleveland, then teaming with Bosh and Gallo in NYC is a likely scenario.
Chicago-Bull-E
RealGM
And1: 7,235

Post#520 » by Chicago-Bull-E » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:20 am

About time. That loser can now sulk on the sidelines instead of on the field.
KC: Do you still think you're a championship-caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if I'm wrong

Return to Chicago Bears