Image Image Image Image

General Off-season Discussion

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

MJ2Rose
Junior
And1: 274

Re: OT: Bears (Update: John Fox Hired As Coach) 

Post#1301 » by MJ2Rose » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:07 pm

Ian Rapoport is reporting that Ed Donatell, the 49ers DB coach is also joining Vic Fangio. This is GREAT news as the DBs played a very important role in the 49ers scheme.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/557579049565188097[/tweet]
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#1302 » by ingvald » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:20 pm

ExDeuc3 wrote:Lovie's cover 2 worked but now we need to catch up with the rest of the league and finally go 3-4.

I'm certainly not opposed to switching to a 3-4 but I disagree that you can't win with Cover 2 now. The biggest problem with the Bears has been a decade of failed drafting. Sure, they hit on a few players but we've seen the defense get older every year with no impact players drafted to replace older vets. Lovie's scheme starts with a dominant 3 technique who can disrupt the offense and get penetration up the middle. Who's the last top-end quality DT drafted by the Bears? Probably Harris in '04. So whatever scheme they implement, it will be imperative that Pace nail his draft picks for 2 or 3 consecutive years. Free agents are nice to plug holes but they can't be the foundation for building a roster.

Angelo/Lovie and Emery/Trestman failed miserably at bringing in young, talented players. Then you have an incompetent HC in Trestman and you get the Charlie Foxtrot we all saw this year.

So I like what they've done so far- Fox was the best HC candidate out there, Fangio is a great DC, and I'm hoping they hire a top level OC to boot. But if Pace can't draft two impact guys plus role players in multiple, consecutive drafts, they won't compete for a title regardless of the coaches.
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#1303 » by Payt10 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 6:27 pm

I am way more excited about the Fangio news than I am about John Fox! This is GREAT news! I have been waiting for the day the Bears finally made a transition to a 3-4 attacking style defense.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
ingvald
Veteran

Post#1304 » by ingvald » Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:48 pm

Probably should be under "Around the NFL: Schadenfreude" but looks like Trestman will be the Ravens new OC.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/01/20/ ... ordinator/
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1305 » by blumeany » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:20 pm

ingvald wrote:Probably should be under "Around the NFL: Schadenfreude" but looks like Trestman will be the Ravens new OC.

Good god they are dumb. It's one thing if a guy is a great coordinator and fails as a HC and you bring him back as a coordinator. It's a totally different thing when the guy - as an offensive coordinator - has a history of doing great the first year, getting figured out, and then tanking the second year. Happened in Oakland and happened here. Yeah, he may have more talent to work with, but I don't see how he's going to pull it off. I think Tresty is just a very, very good interviewer. He fooled Emery into ditching Arians. Now he's fooled the Ravens.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
ingvald
Veteran

Post#1306 » by ingvald » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:21 pm

blumeany wrote:
ingvald wrote:Probably should be under "Around the NFL: Schadenfreude" but looks like Trestman will be the Ravens new OC.

Good god they are dumb. It's one thing if a guy is a great coordinator and fails as a HC and you bring him back as a coordinator. It's a totally different thing when the guy - as an offensive coordinator - has a history of doing great the first year, getting figured out, and then tanking the second year. Happened in Oakland and happened here. Yeah, he may have more talent to work with, but I don't see how he's going to pull it off. I think Tresty is just a very, very good interviewer. He fooled Emery into ditching Arians. Now he's fooled the Ravens.

Trestman's going to grow one Hell of a Man in Baltimore.
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1307 » by blumeany » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:22 pm

The Fangio move was excellent. Probably the best guy out there and arguably the best DC in the league. I was really worried because I saw lots of chatter on Twitter about him going to the Redskins. Glad the Bears stepped up and got him. With Trestman going to Baltimore, that probably leaves us with Gase and Chud right now. Not crazy about either, but I trust Pace and Fox's taste thus far.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#1308 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:40 pm

blumeany wrote:

I disagree that he'll have more talent to work with in Baltimore. Significantly better quarterback, but he won't have better overall offensive talent to work with.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1309 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:41 pm

I think Lamarr Houston is going to show why he got that big contract, with this Fangio hire!

*Health permitting.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,746

Post#1310 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:45 pm

Sonny_D1 wrote:As for Fox, I honestly believe if he were a better coach they could/should have won it all one of those years. I think they won in spite of him rather than because of him. That's just my opinion though.

He lost to a dynasty with a team that had no business being there when he was in Carolina [and still almost won], and his team got spanked badly because his superstar QB who has a history of choking, choked big time. I think it's a stretch to say that he cost them a superbowl as a coach.

It's fair to be suspect of the guy, but the reasons of:
1: He should have won one of those SBs
2: His performance level wasn't consistent when he didn't have a star QB

Do not hold much water to me.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,389

Post#1311 » by fleet » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:50 pm

I guess this means the Bears will be aquiring a huge defensive tackle for the future middle of that 3/4. Ferguson isnt that kind of guy I dont think for a 3/4 nosetackle. I wonder what happens with Sutton.

I wouldnt be surprised if they went safety and DT 1-2 (without looking at the draft board). I guess a linebacker too soon therafter. I didnt expect this. I assumed Fox would have an old school 4-3 with 2 massive tackles inside. Perhaps a bigger guy to pair with Ferguson.

Not sure where Ratliff fits in right now. End I guess.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,746

Post#1312 » by dougthonus » Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:55 pm

Sonny_D1 wrote:You can LOL all you want, fact of the matter is a teams fan base is usually the best place to get an honest assessment of a head coach. Go back and take a look what Carolina fans in their forums had to say about Fox. Or better yet, read what Bronco fans are saying about Fox now.

Really? That might be the WORST place to get an honest assessment of a team's coach. Half this forum hates Thibodeau and would bitch about every tiny little thing in the world with him, but if I were another team I'd be damn excited to get him.

Look, I never said Fox was "bad". Lovie Smith wasn't "bad". However at the end of the day both guys leave a lot to be desired.

The odds of anyone coming in here and doing as well as Lovie Smith are pretty small. If a coach does that well then he'll have been a success. Hard for me to buy in to the idea that Smith stopped us from winning a superbowl. I don't see any coach coming in and winning one with the the talent/injuries the Bears had.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1313 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:15 pm

So uhh.. what can the Ravens expect from this guy? I know he sucks as a head coach/leader but how is he as a COORDINATOR??

I'm hoping he can use Forsett similar to Forte. And Flacco has always had success as a vertical QB so hopefully that won't change. I'm kind of upset we lost Kubiak
Bulls Fan 23
Pro Prospect
And1: 250

Post#1314 » by Bulls Fan 23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:18 pm

I'm excited for next year. Watching Pace put together a professional group of coaches is something I have never seen as a Bears fan. Now we can watch him assemble a team from the draft and free agency. Watching Trestman fail in Baltimore will be fun, as will watching that idiot Tomsula in San Francisco. I'm pumped.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1315 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:20 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:

So uhh.. what can the Ravens expect from this guy? I know he sucks as a head coach/leader but how is he as a COORDINATOR??

I'm hoping he can use Forsett similar to Forte. And Flacco has always had success as a vertical QB so hopefully that won't change. I'm kind of upset we lost Kubiak

Historically, his offenses have done great the first year and then fallen apart or just done much worse the 2nd year (than what they are capable of) when teams figure his game plan out and he doesn't adjust. Every place he has been to this happens.
micromonkey
Starter
And1: 627

Post#1316 » by micromonkey » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Charlie Weis on Bears radar.
So we will have WC/Coryell and now the rare Erhardt-Perkins offensive system.
Seems to do better in Pros than College. (working in KC as well as NE obviously)
Illmatic12
RealGM
And1: 8,459

Post#1317 » by Illmatic12 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:25 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:

Historically, his offenses have done great the first year and then fallen apart or just done much worse the 2nd year (than what they are capable of) when teams figure his game plan out and he doesn't adjust. Every place he has been to this happens.

What is his 'style' ? I assume he's into the short passing West Coast stuff ala CFL-style football? If so we already dealt with that nonsense with Cam Cameron.. doesn't fit our personnel at all :nonono:
BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Post#1318 » by BR0D1E86 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:31 pm

He's a hardcore west coast offense guy. Although based on this past year I'd say he has no system other than a staunch hatred of even attempting to have a running game.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1319 » by RedBulls23 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:32 pm

Illmatic12 wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
Illmatic12 wrote:So uhh.. what can the Ravens expect from this guy? I know he sucks as a head coach/leader but how is he as a COORDINATOR??

What is his 'style' ? I assume he's into the short passing West Coast stuff ala CFL-style football? If so we already dealt with that nonsense with Cam Cameron.. doesn't fit our personnel at all :nonono:

Yup short passes with rarely taking shots down the field.

I don't think he will be a good fit with Flacco.
ExDeuc3
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#1320 » by ExDeuc3 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:34 pm

ingvald wrote:
ExDeuc3 wrote:Lovie's cover 2 worked but now we need to catch up with the rest of the league and finally go 3-4.

I'm certainly not opposed to switching to a 3-4 but I disagree that you can't win with Cover 2 now. The biggest problem with the Bears has been a decade of failed drafting.

Oh believe me I love Cover 2, it just went out with Lovie. There's a part of me that believed cover 2 would have still worked for this team the last 2 years. You are absolutely correct on the drafting.

In other, I wish well to Trestman in BAL. He should be suited well for OC with Flaco. Now we need to find out who ours is

Return to Chicago Bears