Image Image Image Image

General Off-season Discussion

Moderator: chitownsports4ever

JohnnyTapwater
Analyst
And1: 1,591

Re: OT: Bears (Update: Marshall Traded To NYJ) 

Post#1761 » by JohnnyTapwater » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:06 pm

WIN wrote:What are you talking about? My POINT is and was CLEARLY that it's not OFTEN that it happens. What exactly do you not get about that?

It's clearly NOT OFTEN that this happens. If in the past 5 years this has only happened ONCE out of 160 times, then its UNLIKELY that it happens this year with a team that has glaring holes all over (defense AND offense).

YOU are the one who came in trying to prove me wrong for saying it's not often that it happens.

I NEVER said it NEVER happens. You FAIL, don't let the door hit you on the way out jagbag.

The term, "ridiculous" makes it seem like it's not even worth discussion. When it IS worth a discussion at the least. Based on teams drafting 100% 1 side of the ball in the past.

rare...okay...I agree... ridiculous?...no, then you come off abrasive and condescending.
Wont PerDont
Sixth Man
And1: 352

Post#1762 » by Wont PerDont » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:32 pm

WIN wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:
WIN wrote:
Did you even read what I typed? What did you prove me wrong about? It doesn't happen often that was my point that teams draft all defense, I never said it never happens. That's something that needs no research, that's a fact. So before you go out of your way to talk $***, read and understand what the other poster is arguing jagbag.

I DID read what you typed. Here, I'll refresh your memory...

You said the idea of a team drafting completely on one side of the ball was,

indeed unrealistic, ridiculous, or w/e u wanna call it.

When Johnny Tapwater brought up the point that the Bears have drafted all defensive player except one twice in the last 4 years you also said,

Point still stands, thank you.

I was merely pointing out that your "point" no longer stands, since it was proved invalid in the draft LAST YEAR! Did YOU read what you typed?

What are you talking about? My POINT is and was CLEARLY that it's not OFTEN that it happens. What exactly do you not get about that?

It's clearly NOT OFTEN that this happens. If in the past 5 years this has only happened ONCE out of 160 times, then its UNLIKELY that it happens this year with a team that has glaring holes all over (defense AND offense).

YOU are the one who came in trying to prove me wrong for saying it's not often that it happens.

I NEVER said it NEVER happens. You FAIL, don't let the door hit you on the way out jagbag.

If your point was that it doesn't happen often (vs. NEVER) then you wouldn't have made the distinction that your "point still stands" when it was brought to your attention that the Bears had drafted all defense except one player twice in 4 years (or how "ridiculous" it was to suggest a team would draft completely on one side of the ball). (<---Which, just out of curiosity, if your point wasn't that it NEVER happens...what was your point, exactly?) And at the time you typed those things you had NO IDEA that it had happened once in 5 years (you assumed it hadn't at all - and you know what they say about assuming).

I'm done arguing with you about it, though. You are exhausting! So, you go right on ahead assuming you are right and disregard the facts all you want. You floated out your half thought out argument like it was fact, got called out on it and proven wrong, and now you're in damage control. That's fine. It makes you look a little petty, but whatever. I just don't have to continue to engage in a situation where I am beating my head against a proverbial wall trying to argue with someone who I doubt has ever been wrong in his life, so I'm done.

Should be pretty beneficial for both of us. You can continue to think you are right and I no longer have to do the wall thing. We both win!
Freaky like my lady pyramid...

-Formerly: gineric 12

-P.J. Carlesimo on Denver Coach Brian Shaw (2/21/14): "He's paid his dues and he's ready for a head job..."
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Re: OT: Bears (Update: M. Foster, R. McDonald, J. Jenkins FA Deals) 

Post#1763 » by transplant » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:38 pm

blumeany wrote:This McDonald hullabaloo is OUT OF CONTROL!

1. They signed him to a low, 1 year deal - easy to walk from.
2. Hasn't been convicted.
3. Signs point to him not being reprimanded at all.
4. Bears can EASILY walk away at any time.
5. Fangio knows this guy and obviously had to recommend him.
6. Sounds like Bears management and ownership gave it a lot of thought and met with the guy personally several times before signing him.

Move along, media.

They are incapable. They have no reverse gear.

McDonald has not so much as been charged with a crime. In one of the 3 incidents being cited, McDonald made the 911 call (the media never mentions this). In another, McDonald is contemplating a defamation suit.

To get a feel for how goofy this has all gotten, McDonald could pass a DCFS screening, but the media and some fans don't think he should be allowed to play in the NFL.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
WIN
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,821

Post#1764 » by WIN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 4:54 pm

JohnnyTapwater wrote:
WIN wrote:What are you talking about? My POINT is and was CLEARLY that it's not OFTEN that it happens. What exactly do you not get about that?

The term, "ridiculous" makes it seem like it's not even worth discussion. When it IS worth a discussion at the least. Based on teams drafting 100% 1 side of the ball in the past.

rare...okay...I agree... ridiculous?...no, then you come off abrasive and condescending.

My fault for coming off as condescending, I apologize for that. I still think it's ridiculous though for a team to draft all on one side. I just don't think it's practical since most teams have holes on both sides of the ball, including the Bears. The draft is a perfect time to fill holes all over and focusing on just one side doesn't usually pan well for teams. There's a reason why it almost never happens. Just my opinion. You can discuss it all you want, don't let me stop you, and who knows maybe there's a BPA that's on defense every round for the Bears, I just don't see it happening, nor do I wish it to happen since I think they need help on offense and defense, not just one side.
WIN
Lead Assistant

Post#1765 » by WIN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Wont PerDont wrote:If your point was that it doesn't happen often (vs. NEVER) then you wouldn't have made the distinction that your "point still stands" when it was brought to your attention that the Bears had drafted all defense except one player twice in 4 years (or how "ridiculous" it was to suggest a team would draft completely on one side of the ball). (<---Which, just out of curiosity, if your point wasn't that it NEVER happens...what was your point, exactly?) And at the time you typed those things you had NO IDEA that it had happened once in 5 years (you assumed it hadn't at all - and you know what they say about assuming).

I'm done arguing with you about it, though. You are exhausting! So, you go right on ahead assuming you are right and disregard the facts all you want. You floated out your half thought out argument like it was fact, got called out on it and proven wrong, and now you're in damage control. That's fine. It makes you look a little petty, but whatever. I just don't have to continue to engage in a situation where I am beating my head against a proverbial wall trying to argue with someone who I doubt has ever been wrong in his life, so I'm done.

Should be pretty beneficial for both of us. You can continue to think you are right and I no longer have to do the wall thing. We both win!

Nobody forced you into this convo guy. You decided to quote me on something I said weeks back to another poster and you totally missed my point, which you won't admit. Why you're going this far to nitpick at the words I used such as "point still stands" is beyond me. There's no hidden message to what I said. Very simple, my point was that you don't see teams drafting one side very often, hence why I asked how often. It was a rhetorical question. The answer is obvious, no need for me to even look at stats to back it up. And when I did look at stats to shut you up, they proved me right. How did I know? Well I've watched almost every draft the past decade and I just realized that it's common for teams to draft multiple sides of the ball and for good reason.

The word "ridiculous" has no hidden meaning behind it either. I thought and still think it's ridiculous to expect a team to draft all on one side. I never said it's impossible or that it never happens, because I was sure then and know that in the long history of the NFL stuff like this happens, like it did with the Bucs. That in no way proves what I said wrong, nor should it have anything to do with what I said since my point was not about it being impossible but about the fact that this doesn't happen often.

If you felt that I was being condescending towards someone and wanted to point that out, then ok, fine, but that's about as far as you needed to go, because everything else you posted was garbage.

So good job. You decided to go out of your way to bash someone and failed miserably. Go take a time out and have yourself a nice day.
BigUps
RealGM
And1: 5,600

Post#1766 » by BigUps » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:41 pm

WIN wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BigUps wrote:
Why no love for Shelton at 7? Seems like an absolute no brainer to me. I get the idea around wanting White/Cooper at 7, but I just can't get on board with it. I'm not drafting a WR until Jay is gone. Giving him another tool to work with is pointless IMO.

That doesn't make any sense. You don't handcuff yourself because of Jay Cutler anymore.

Pace should draft bpa and if that is Cooper or White, then that's who they should get. It's not like the future QB (who ever that is) won't need talent at WR still.

I get the frustration BigUps is expressing, but I do agree that at the end of the day, you don't handicap yourself because of Jay. Thankfully the Bears have now put themselves in a position to draft BPA. Good thing is that this looks like a darn good draft, a lot of potential stars in the first couple of rounds. That second pick they have might as well be a first.

I'm of the opinion that giving Jay extra players will not increase results. He's an issue. We're going nowhere with him and I'd go as far to say that I'd flat out support cutting him now and starting Claussen next year. I know, I know, I'm crazy....I get it. However, I think you have to tear this thing down at QB and offense (fwiw I'd deal Forte too) before we actually get out of mediocrityville. I'm just not interested in being average for the next few years. I'd rather be bad than average and have hope that we will be in position to draft a QB that can lead us for a decade.

So, what I'd do is focus 100% of my energy on the defense and the trenches. Anchor those down and forget the offensive skill positions for a year or 3. Rebuild the heart of the team until you find a QB that is of Joe Flacco's quality or better and try to make a run at it.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#1767 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:48 pm

BigUps wrote:
I'm of the opinion that giving Jay extra players will not increase results.

so you're okay with allowing Jay Cutler still dicatate the quality of player the FO drafts?

It's not about trying to build a team around Jay. It's about taking the best player period. if that is at the WR position, then that's what they should do.

This team has holes everywhere and they need to get talent to fill those holes.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
drosestruts
General Manager
And1: 3,380

Post#1768 » by drosestruts » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:03 pm

BigUps wrote:So, what I'd do is focus 100% of my energy on the defense and the trenches. Anchor those down and forget the offensive skill positions for a year or 3. Rebuild the heart of the team until you find a QB that is of Joe Flacco's quality or better and try to make a run at it.

Soooooooo Jay Cutler?
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1769 » by blumeany » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:15 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
blumeany wrote:I can't believe all the flack Pace is catching so far. In my eyes, he's doing something very similar to what Theo has done with the Cubs. Pace said if from Day 1 - you become an elite franchise through the draft. Most of these free agents they are picking up right now are 1 year deals. They aren't committing long term to anyone. They are keeping all their options open for next year and providing the opportunities for the guys they draft to come in and be 'the guy'. It's very clear that they are looking to clean out the roster and in the meantime are putting able bodies on the field. This is a good thing.

Has he been getting flack and from where? I haven't heard much flack other than when they signed Mcdonald yesterday.

That's the start of it. Everyone was hunky dorey until this McDonald signing and now the sports radio guys are going nuts and questioning everything they've done and how they're handling it and spinning conspiracy theories. It's like everyone was on board until this move and now everything has changed because of it.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
blumeany
RealGM
And1: 2,551

Post#1770 » by blumeany » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:17 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BigUps wrote:

so you're okay with allowing Jay Cutler still dicatate the quality of player the FO drafts?

It's not about trying to build a team around Jay. It's about taking the best player period. if that is at the WR position, then that's what they should do.

The way Pace is signing free agents, he's giving himself more ability to draft the best player available. So if a guy like Cooper or Mariotta drops, he's got that option. If they don't, he's got a bevy of defensive players to choose from.
2024: Maybe there's some hope?
WIN
Lead Assistant

Post#1771 » by WIN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:23 pm

blumeany wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
blumeany wrote:I can't believe all the flack Pace is catching so far. In my eyes, he's doing something very similar to what Theo has done with the Cubs. Pace said if from Day 1 - you become an elite franchise through the draft. Most of these free agents they are picking up right now are 1 year deals. They aren't committing long term to anyone. They are keeping all their options open for next year and providing the opportunities for the guys they draft to come in and be 'the guy'. It's very clear that they are looking to clean out the roster and in the meantime are putting able bodies on the field. This is a good thing.

Has he been getting flack and from where? I haven't heard much flack other than when they signed Mcdonald yesterday.

That's the start of it. Everyone was hunky dorey until this McDonald signing and now the sports radio guys are going nuts and questioning everything they've done and how they're handling it and spinning conspiracy theories. It's like everyone was on board until this move and now everything has changed because of it.

Yeah, most of these radio guys are doing it for the ratings. It's stupid. They signed McDonald and now the world is on fire. We get it people, character is important, Bears get it too. As long as McDonald is eligible to play on an NFL team, then I don't have a problem with an NFL team signing him. Same goes with any player who's had issues off the field. I'm not gonna blame a team for doing what it's allowed to do within the rules. If the NFL wants to ban these players for off field issues, then go ahead, otherwise there's no point in blaming teams like the Bears, Cowboys, etc. for signing someone who is eligible to get signed.
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#1772 » by ATRAIN53 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:12 pm

I love the whole "hey, lets trade Brandon Marshall, he's a former domestic abuser who isn't totally committed to football. Forget that he wants to represent our team and speak out about mental awareness as part of his rehab....

Lets get rid of him and bring in a different guy who is still being investigated for domestic abuse instead"

McDonald should be so lucky to turn his life around as much as Marshall has.
Guy will probably be awesome here, but we'll still be looking for a go to receiver on 3rd and long....
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#1773 » by ingvald » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:16 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:we'll still be looking for a go to receiver on 3rd and long....

Not necessary. Draw play.
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1774 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:28 pm

blumeany wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:

Ah okay...I heard some on waddle and silvy from Jeff Dickerson, but they weren't critiquing everything else.

I don't listen to the score, so if they bitching and moaning I wouldn't know :lol:
BigUps
RealGM

Post#1775 » by BigUps » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:34 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BigUps wrote:

No, its not about drafting BPA....its about having a plan and implementing that plan. My plan is to fix the defense and the trenches. I don't care what QB you have.....if you don't have a good line on both sides of the ball you have no shot to win a championship. BPA works if you think that player is absolutely elite, if not you take BPA that fits within your plan.
BigUps
RealGM

Post#1776 » by BigUps » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:35 pm

drosestruts wrote:
BigUps wrote:So, what I'd do is focus 100% of my energy on the defense and the trenches. Anchor those down and forget the offensive skill positions for a year or 3. Rebuild the heart of the team until you find a QB that is of Joe Flacco's quality or better and try to make a run at it.

Soooooooo Jay Cutler?

Flacco is twice the QB Jay is. Stats won't tell you this, but if you watch the game you know this.
BigUps
RealGM

Post#1777 » by BigUps » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:37 pm

blumeany wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BigUps wrote:

The way Pace is signing free agents, he's giving himself more ability to draft the best player available. So if a guy like Cooper or Mariotta drops, he's got that option. If they don't, he's got a bevy of defensive players to choose from.

I love what Pace has done so far. From the coaching staff selections to free agency. I love it all. I think the guy has a plan on how he wants to rebuild the team and I'm fully onboard for the ride at this time.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1778 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Mar 25, 2015 8:44 pm

BigUps wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:
BigUps wrote:

No, its not about drafting BPA....its about having a plan and implementing that plan. My plan is to fix the defense and the trenches. I don't care what QB you have.....if you don't have a good line on both sides of the ball you have no shot to win a championship. BPA works if you think that player is absolutely elite, if not you take BPA that fits within your plan.

Which is exactly my point. IF Pace thinks that Cooper and or White are elite...then they should draft them. It really is that simple.

This trying to dodge moves because of Jay Cutler stuff is nonsense. Agree to disagree I guess
WIN
Lead Assistant

Post#1779 » by WIN » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:13 pm

ATRAIN53 wrote:I love the whole "hey, lets trade Brandon Marshall, he's a former domestic abuser who isn't totally committed to football. Forget that he wants to represent our team and speak out about mental awareness as part of his rehab....

Lets get rid of him and bring in a different guy who is still being investigated for domestic abuse instead"

McDonald should be so lucky to turn his life around as much as Marshall has.
Guy will probably be awesome here, but we'll still be looking for a go to receiver on 3rd and long....

To be fair, getting rid of Marshall was all because he was a locker room cancer more than anything, it had nothing to do with his domestic abuse issues.

McDonald by all accounts is supposedly a great locker room guy.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,397

Post#1780 » by fleet » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:58 pm

WIN wrote:
Wont PerDont wrote:
WIN wrote:
Did you even read what I typed? What did you prove me wrong about? It doesn't happen often that was my point that teams draft all defense, I never said it never happens. That's something that needs no research, that's a fact. So before you go out of your way to talk $***, read and understand what the other poster is arguing jagbag.

I DID read what you typed. Here, I'll refresh your memory...

You said the idea of a team drafting completely on one side of the ball was,

indeed unrealistic, ridiculous, or w/e u wanna call it.

When Johnny Tapwater brought up the point that the Bears have drafted all defensive player except one twice in the last 4 years you also said,

Point still stands, thank you.

I was merely pointing out that your "point" no longer stands, since it was proved invalid in the draft LAST YEAR! Did YOU read what you typed?

What are you talking about? My POINT is and was CLEARLY that it's not OFTEN that it happens. What exactly do you not get about that?

Fellas, please dont cause a locked Bears thread. It is so rare to have one
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.

Return to Chicago Bears