Image ImageImage Image

Jimmy Butler predicts bulls championship

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Re: Jimmy Butler predicts bulls championship 

Post#21 » by Cowbulls » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:55 pm

dice wrote:
Cowbulls wrote:
Ice Man wrote:
You got that from my post? You are a creative reader.

I must be, or you're a terrible writer.

Nobody was discussing or cared about what the GB thinks. It was a thread about Jimmy Butler saying the Bulls are going to win it all.

Then you came.

And brought up the GB. Sooooo you obviously have feelings about what the GB thinks........... :(

read the conversation again, sir. it was pretty straightforward what he was responding to. direct quote, in fact

:nonono:

okay read it, you guys were bitching about target on our back yada yada, he came in and said the GB thinks were a joke.

Soo he cares what the GB thinks...don't get why it's a bid deal to him. I find it funny, because if he said "my grandma thinks were a joke." I would have let it go.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#22 » by dice » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:56 pm

Cowbulls wrote:
dice wrote:
Cowbulls wrote:
I must be, or you're a terrible writer.

Nobody was discussing or cared about what the GB thinks. It was a thread about Jimmy Butler saying the Bulls are going to win it all.

Then you came.

And brought up the GB. Sooooo you obviously have feelings about what the GB thinks........... :(

read the conversation again, sir. it was pretty straightforward what he was responding to. direct quote, in fact

okay read it, you guys were bitching about target on our back yada yada, he came in and said the GB thinks were a joke.

Soo he cares what the GB thinks

nope. try again
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#23 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:08 am

Ice Man wrote:
WindyCityBorn wrote:Bulls already have a target on their backs.

I don't think so. Nobody on the General Board takes the Bulls seriously for the playoffs. Pretty much 100% the sentiment is Thibs is a regular-season coach, the team will be injured, the Bulls will lose in the playoffs, and Bulls fans never learn.

Maybe if Rose were to play for an extended length of time but truth is, we are kind of a league joke. A team that looks good on paper but never shows up in April.

General board is full of clowns. Media, Vegas and analysts consider the Bulls contenders.
Cowbulls
Rookie
And1: 888

Post#24 » by Cowbulls » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:25 am

dice wrote:
Cowbulls wrote:
dice wrote:read the conversation again, sir. it was pretty straightforward what he was responding to. direct quote, in fact

Soo he cares what the GB thinks

nope. try again

People mention other peoples opinions in conversations because they either agree or disagree with that person... Am I right?

p.s guy above this post obviously read it that same as I did...
chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Post#25 » by chifan1798 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 12:28 am

kdapiton wrote:I think teams get up when they play the Bulls since we have a rep of playing balls to the wall like it's our last game every night. So if that can be considered a "target," then I guess it is.

Personally, I'm not a big fan of the talk. Just keep doing what you're doing. But hey, Jimmy can do no wrong in my eyes. Just hope he stays healthy.

Hmmm, I don't think they get up for that rep, because over the past couple of seasons, it's been clear that the bulls don't give their all in every game. They play down to their competition all the time. I think opposing teams take them more seriously this year because they are good on paper, and have added some depth, and are a consensus top 2 in the east, and contender.
GinWeary
Senior
And1: 345

Post#26 » by GinWeary » Sat Nov 22, 2014 2:12 am

I am more than fine with Jimmy coming out and openly having confidence in his team. Our two leaders (Rose and Jo) are often injured or trying to play their way back into form, Jimmy is playing great basketball and should step up as one of the leaders on this team. Sometimes making claims/predictions or comments is just silly in a lot of situations, but I don't think Jimmy is too far off base. The league has become too quiet in general and it's good to have the utmost confidence in your team.
“Fortunately, there is gin, the sole glimmer in this darkness.Do you feel the golden, copper-coloured light it kindles in you? I like walking through the city of an evening in the warmth of gin.” – Albert Camus
NDave79
Sixth Man
And1: 1,348

Post#27 » by NDave79 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:13 am

GinWeary wrote:I am more than fine with Jimmy coming out and openly having confidence in his team. Our two leaders (Rose and Jo) are often injured or trying to play their way back into form, Jimmy is playing great basketball and should step up as one of the leaders on this team. Sometimes making claims/predictions or comments is just silly in a lot of situations, but I don't think Jimmy is too far off base. The league has become too quiet in general and it's good to have the utmost confidence in your team.

Same here. If JR Smith had said this I'd be shaking my head (because he is an idiot on a bad team). Conversely, Jimmy imo is one of the highest character individuals in the NBA on a title contender. He knows the Bulls and the other teams in the league better than we do. He has gone to battle with his teammates and against the competition. We are just the spectators that do our best to learn about these players and these teams and use every bit of info we can find to educate ourselves to the point of having an opinion we feel confident in.

I'm not trying to say that being a baller is necessarily the best way to be an expert on the NBA (although Chuck and Shaq think so). Sometimes just being a basketball genius that has relatively little actual playing experience due to zero physical talent is better than having great talent with BBIQ (i.e. Thibs is smarter than Chuck).

In summary, I'm thrilled that a person whom I have the utmost respect regarding their character, BBIQ, integrity, and ability to deal with the additional pressure that such statements add, has predicted the Bulls are going to win the championship. At the moment, the only person I'd feel better about making such statements is Thibs (and we all know he would never say anything remotely close to what Jimmy said because coaches just don't go there. The're not suppose to be the cocky ones). Jimmy's not cocky though imo, he just calls it like he sees it and this is why I like what he said.

And here is my evidence that Jimmy isn't cocky:

dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,734

Post#28 » by dougthonus » Sat Nov 22, 2014 3:40 am

:dontknow:

I doubt the Cavs, Wizards, or Raptors will play any harder or softer against the Bulls because of Jimmy's quote. Putting a target on your back would be saying something directly to the opposition immediately before a game. Do you think anyone will even remember he said this in the playoffs? Do you think any team rallies against this comment if they do?

I'm glad Jimmy's confident. I don't take much value out of the comment as a positive or negative except that it shows his confidence in himself and his teammates and that's a strength. That said, that confidence is there as long as he believes it whether he states it or not, and I've never doubted the Bulls confidence in themselves, so stating it doesn't have a whole lot of additional value either.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#29 » by TimRobbins » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:01 am

The problem isn't Butler putting a target on the Bulls' back, it's Butler putting a target on his own back. Nobody expected him to be the scoring leader for this team, but now that teams are looking for him, it's a completely different story. The Blazers forced Butler into tough contested jumpers and he went 3-13. Butler needs to refocus himself and understand his strengths and his weaknesses. He'll never be a guy who can consistently make contested jumpers in this league. His offensive role should always be to attack off the dribble or shoot open jumpers. He shouldn't be buying into his own hype.
Iguana775
Junior
And1: 19

Post#30 » by Iguana775 » Sat Nov 22, 2014 4:48 pm

If the bulls can stay healthy for the entire playoffs, I dont see how they cant compete for a title.
Trm3
Assistant Coach
And1: 772

Post#31 » by Trm3 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:23 pm

DASMACKDOWN wrote:Why cant Jimmy say it? I don't scuff at anything people say. Derrick said why cant he be MVP and 95% of people giggled at it.

The people scuffing at what Jimmy has said are the same people that poked fun at Pippen's comments about Jimmy being All-Star material..If Deng was an All-Star then Jimmy who I think is much better in all aspects can be too.

As for his comments, if we can ever get healthy...we're definitely a Championship team. I'm not worried about the November title, I want that June title.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#32 » by pb-ceo » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:39 pm

totally dependent on health especailly derrick's. so jimmy must have a high degree of confidence that the the team will be 110% healthy come playoff time. Dr Jimmy and Mr Jim?
aguifs
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,436

Post#33 » by aguifs » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:23 pm

Poor buckets!!!
Props to him!!!
#FIREAKME #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,536

Post#34 » by dice » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:20 pm

0-2 with 2 blowouts and more injury woes since prediction. nice job jimmy!
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Drellberg
Pro Prospect
And1: 182

Post#35 » by Drellberg » Mon Nov 24, 2014 11:58 am

A short while ago, I couldn't believe that Butler turned down the $11M/year contract that the Bulls were offering him. I thought it was reckless for a guy who has not yet accumulated enough wealth to be taking that kind of risk. The prospect of injury, bad team chemistry, etc, could easily result in Butler getting much less than $11M/year and then what? Based on Butler's history, it was PERHAPS a cheap contract offer from the Bulls FO but not low ball and not unreasonable. In short, I took the side of the FO in that one.

But just a few games into the season, I now get it. The only rationale for turning down $11M/year from a top-tier franchise is that you think you're going to get $15M/year or more from a top-tier franchise. I guess Butler knew that this season would be a great one for him. I sure as heck didn't.

It takes balls of steel to do what Butler has done. I'm still persuaded that Butler should have taken the $11M/year for the simple reason that he really is at considerable risk, but my sentiment is less that he was a knucklehead and more that I pray for his sake that he stays healthy and as productive for the duration as he's been to this point.
stepbackjftw
Pro Prospect
And1: 590

Post#36 » by stepbackjftw » Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:15 pm

Not with kirk "11 shots to make 9 pts" hinrich in the starting line-up
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#37 » by johnnyvann840 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:50 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nb ... /19437583/

Jimmy Butler proves his worth as Bulls' de facto star

Sam Amick, USA TODAY Sports 3:37 p.m. EST November 23, 2014

Contract extension or no contract extension, Jimmy Butler can still afford a cab ride.

So it was last week in Sacramento, where the Chicago Bulls guard showed up via taxi nearly an hour before any of his teammates would arrive to that morning's shoot-around. So it is and may always be for Butler, the 25-year-old whose extra work is paying off like never before this season — even though he didn't get a new deal done with the Bulls before last month's extension deadline.

Butler swears he's not working any harder now because the Bulls decided against giving him the maximum-salary contract his representatives were seeking. And despite injuries to Derrick Rose and Pau Gasol giving Butler the starring role he's never had before, it's not as though he's only working overtime now because the spotlight is brighter.......

---

As for Butler's mindset after not getting an extension deal done with the Bulls, he shook his head when asked if there's any lingering resentment.

"Nah, nah," said Butler, who will be a restricted free agent next summer. "I love the city of Chicago. I think everybody knows that. I just feel like I've just got to help win games, man. I want a championship. The money has never been an issue because I'm from Tomball. The money I make now is more than nothing. I just wanted to prove to my teammates, to my coaches, to the city, that I'm here to stay."

I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson

Return to Chicago Bulls