Image ImageImage Image

Sam Smith on Mirotic: You're Going to Love this Guy

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

madvillian
RealGM
And1: 8,711

Sam Smith on Mirotic: You're Going to Love this Guy 

Post#1 » by madvillian » Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:55 pm

Really insightful piece on Mirotic with a lot of great quotes:

I said something like fans asking about his tendency to pump fake, which many have.

“I know sometimes you don’t like that,” Mirotic said with a smile.

I had to admit being surprised as players usually don’t read much about themselves unless it’s harshly critical and then usually just parts. And almost never do they admit to reading it, and rarely ever suggestions about play.

You know the line: You didn’t play the game.

“Yes, I read,” Mirotic said with a smile.

He smiles often.

“It’s true sometimes I fake a lot of shots because sometimes I am thinking a lot,” he said. “I know I don’t need to think (so much); like, just play basketball. But I do that because a lot of times I shoot; they jump and I try to do one more pass. Today was better. I take more shots; no pump fakes. Just shoot the ball. I like that.”

“Let’s think another game and hope Taj going to return, Derrick and Pau fast,” added Mirotic, the Serbian native who doesn’t quite speak perfect English yet in his first months in the U.S., but who is proving easy to understand both off and on the court.

More here:
http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/youre-goi ... e-this-guy
dumbell78 wrote:Random comment....Mikal Bridges stroke is dripping right now in summer league. Carry on.

I'll go ahead and make a sig bet that Mikal is better by RPM this year than Zach.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Re: Sam Smith on Mirotic: You're Going to Love this Guy 

Post#2 » by pylb » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:09 pm

So, where's Niko reading about the pump fakes, RealGM, Reddit, Twitter ?

He seems to understand what he needs to work on. I just think he needs to find a happy medium defensively where he's tough like Thibs asks but without fouling so much. Especially with Taj and probably Pau out, he's going to get some minutes but he can't really afford foul trouble.

Lots of big men are foul prone when coming into the NBA though. Pekovic averaged >7 fouls per 36 his rookie season, which is why he barely played. He cut it down to right under 3 the next year.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,790

Post#3 » by NZB2323 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:14 pm

pylb wrote:So, where's Niko reading about the pump fakes, RealGM, Reddit, Twitter ?

He seems to understand what he needs to work on. I just think he needs to find a happy medium defensively where he's tough like Thibs asks but without fouling so much. Especially with Taj and probably Pau out, he's going to get some minutes but he can't really afford foul trouble.

Lots of big men are foul prone when coming into the NBA though. Pekovic averaged >7 fouls per 36 his rookie season, which is why he barely played. He cut it down to right under 3 the next year.

He read about Sam Smith criticizing him pump faking too much.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#4 » by JeremyB0001 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:32 pm

I very much enjoyed reading that article.
kdapiton
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#5 » by kdapiton » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:45 pm

I don't mind the fakes as long as he gets something out of it. More often than not he gets the step and either gets fouled or make a play.

As long as he's decisive and aggressive. That's all that matters yo
we go jim
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#6 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:54 pm

His pump fakes are lethal. He needs to actually keep that part of his game.

Just don't go to the well when you don't need to.

Pump fakes are supposed to be unpredictable. Once he always keeps people on their toes, that's when he has mastered it.
The Cult of Personality
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,680

Post#7 » by pylb » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:25 pm

I think his pump fakes right now are pretty much fine, but early in the season he was pump faking even when his defender was late closing out and passing up open 3s in the process. He seems to have correctly gauged just how quick/long defenders in the NBA are now. Needs to clean up dragging that pivot foot back when starting his dribble now.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,649

Post#8 » by sco » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 pm

I don't know, if he stops he'll ruin my "Cap'n Pump Fake and Clank" duo name...of course, it may be for the best. Hoping Clank becomes "Swish".
:clap:
jax98
RealGM
And1: 3,013

Post#9 » by jax98 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:52 pm

Don't bother, Sam. I've been saying this since 2011.
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#10 » by Mech Engineer » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

His mistakes/problems seem easily correctable. We can already see with his pump-fakes...he has shown improvement compared to 15-20 days back.

Mirotic is a nightmare waiting to happen to guys like Love, Bosh in the next few years.
RememberLu
RealGM
And1: 8,448

Post#11 » by RememberLu » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:00 pm

the pump fakes dont bother me, I get happy when I see a Bulls player faking guys out that deep

that means he can really shoot

and shooting on the Bulls is more precious than water in Arizona
IrishBeatdown
Sixth Man
And1: 1,052

Post#12 » by IrishBeatdown » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:27 pm

Just don't read Sam Smith articles. He's the worst sports writer ever. This guy has been doing it for 20+ years now and is still idiotic. I hate to be so critical, but Sam Smith is the pits. He's a laughingstock. Terrible.

That is all.

/rant
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#13 » by Stratmaster » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:54 pm

The Bulls will be able to ease right into a starting lineup of Rose (assuming he still has a career left), Butler, McD, Mirotic and Noah over the next 2 seasons. Assuming McD becomes even close to the player they expect him to, that is a pretty sweet, aggressive, and young starting 5. Niko and McD both appear to be strong on the boards. Mirotic also looks like he can be reasonably good defensively once he adjusts to the foul issue.

I have been lobbying that this guy needs minutes since the preseason. However, he doesn't need to get them this way. We need Taj back healthy and being a defensive monster. But I can't see Niko staying behind Taj on the depth charts for very long. There is just too much he can do for the Bulls offense. The good news is that Thibs now has 2 different directions he can go with Taj and Mirotic depending on the situation. We will see how he uses those options once Taj is back and healthy.

I would love to see Niko get some time with Rose on the court.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#14 » by MrSparkle » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:03 am

He ain't that bad. You need some personality in the media. Don't want too many robotic/over-confident/know-it-all sports nerds, IMO.

Sam Smith's Kool in my book!
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#15 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:20 am

Boy is it great to finally have him on our team, it seemed for a while that he'd never come and he was going to continue to be this mythical player that never ends up with the Bulls.

As much as some were skeptical about Pau's addition, first as a basketball player, but I think there was more of a reason than what he brings to the Bulls and that's to bring some leadership and guidance to the team - yes, to Mirotic which he seems to be grateful for, but he already seems to have cemented his leadership with the entire team, bringing his know-how as a Championship level player who can actually still contribute significantly to this team.

I think it's only a matter of time that Mirotic ends up being our starting power forward, I say by year 3 this will come to fruition.
Why so serious?
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#16 » by kulaz3000 » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:25 am

IrishBeatdown wrote:Just don't read Sam Smith articles. He's the worst sports writer ever. This guy has been doing it for 20+ years now and is still idiotic. I hate to be so critical, but Sam Smith is the pits. He's a laughingstock. Terrible.

That is all.

/rant

It depends what you're looking for in a sports writer, are you looking for reliable scoops, are you looking for insightful analysis, or are you looking for casual break downs of games with a little entertainment? Sam Smith brings the latter at this stage in his career, but earlier in his career he was formidable in terms of insight scoops.

The thing is, as an insider, your self life is short because staff members for teams change so frequently, and the more you release scoops the less you are trusted, that's why every 5 years or so, you see ESPN spotlight new writers who provide inside scoops, and once their well dries up it's on to the next writers who have built more current relationships.

Sam Smith is basically the Bulls Bill Simmons, gives his little break downs with his own personality sprinkled in for a few laughs and giggles, he does what he does relatively well and he is a known commodity, but clearly a writer who is past his time. I love Bill but you never ever take what he says seriously either, but you read him because he is just really entertaining - I wish he would writer more though, as he seems to be putting more of his efforts to solidify his position as a TV personality which I think he will eventually fail at. Not saying he isn't entertaining, but he is entertaining when you read him, his personality and his charm doesn't come across as well when he is on TV, especially when he is talking alongside former All-stars, hall of fame coaches and what not.
Why so serious?
bearadonisdna
RealGM
And1: 5,394

Post#17 » by bearadonisdna » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:26 am

i like sam smith. he says it like it is, even if its just opinion. u wont see him fallating rehashed espn rhetoric.
that being said , i think nikos overall game is coming around. his pump fakes seem to be part of him game, idk how u can tell a guy not to pump fake. fake a shot , make a shot.
Sometimes he has overused it in the lane and got blocked, but i think he will learn and get nba timing right where he wont pass up good shots for a worse shot.

He seems pretty capable on defense. I like his overall skill but he has to understand the concept of the help defense, where he is required to help on a guy but still be responsible for his guy and cant totally abandon his coverage. the last game or so i think he has been better. He seems to be rebounding well.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#18 » by rtblues » Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:35 am

"You're Going to Love this Guy", seriously?
Great, Sam discovers Niko, in November...
Geez :banghead:
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
Jello Biafra
Analyst
And1: 348

Post#19 » by Jello Biafra » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:25 am

kulaz3000 wrote:
IrishBeatdown wrote:Just don't read Sam Smith articles. He's the worst sports writer ever. This guy has been doing it for 20+ years now and is still idiotic. I hate to be so critical, but Sam Smith is the pits. He's a laughingstock. Terrible.

That is all.

/rant

It depends what you're looking for in a sports writer, are you looking for reliable scoops, are you looking for insightful analysis, or are you looking for casual break downs of games with a little entertainment? Sam Smith brings the latter at this stage in his career, but earlier in his career he was formidable in terms of insight scoops.

The thing is, as an insider, your self life is short because staff members for teams change so frequently, and the more you release scoops the less you are trusted, that's why every 5 years or so, you see ESPN spotlight new writers who provide inside scoops, and once their well dries up it's on to the next writers who have built more current relationships.

Sam Smith is basically the Bulls Bill Simmons, gives his little break downs with his own personality sprinkled in for a few laughs and giggles, he does what he does relatively well and he is a known commodity, but clearly a writer who is past his time. I love Bill but you never ever take what he says seriously either, but you read him because he is just really entertaining - I wish he would writer more though, as he seems to be putting more of his efforts to solidify his position as a TV personality which I think he will eventually fail at. Not saying he isn't entertaining, but he is entertaining when you read him, his personality and his charm doesn't come across as well when he is on TV, especially when he is talking alongside former All-stars, hall of fame coaches and what not.

Sam's had a very impressive career. Started off as an accountant. Then became press secretary to U.S. Senator Lowell Weicker for 10 years. Started covering the Bull's in 1979. He's won the lifetime achievement award from the NBA hall of fame and the Pro Basketball writers association. He is respectful to the players (not a Rosenbloom or Bernstein) and is knowledgeable about the game. He is pretty much self deprecating and is humorous. I don't understand the vile that some on this board heap on him (The Jordan Rules?) because in my opinion it not warranted. And about the Jordan Rules, he was the guy who broke the story that you really don't want to be like Mike, but he didn't do it in a mean spirited fashion.

As for Mirotic, if Thibs continues the absolute nonsense of playing Gasol and Noah on the floor at the same time he won't see the time of day in a week, and that's too bad because he is entertaining to watch even if the neckbeard makes me want to wretch.
Ax2SG
Bench Warmer
And1: 191

Post#20 » by Ax2SG » Mon Nov 24, 2014 4:00 am

Any timetable for Gibson yet? I'm dying to see the minutes go up for Nikola, even thinking about picking him up in my fantasy league after that Portland game. Around what should Nikola be playing now with Gibs/Pau out, 30mins?

Return to Chicago Bulls