Image ImageImage Image

The Derrick Rose Thread - Is It Thread 2 or 47?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

The Derrick Rose Thread - Is It Thread 2 or 47? 

Post#1 » by kingkirk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:29 pm

panthermark wrote:
KingCuban wrote:From his knee injuries, he does appear to be fine. In the Worlds and now in the season, he appears to be fine. The goalposts have not moved in that regard.

But, that doesn't mean his history of injuries just disappears. It's reared its head again with the ankle and hamstring issues.

Treating Derrick Rose the same as everyone else and expect him to react the same as others because he is 26 is wrong.

Proabaly time for a new thread, but I'll ask you this.
Could it be his style of play that is causing these issues?

I don't think anyone can answer this question with any real clarity. Too many variables. It also depends on what injuries you're speaking about.

The injuries he received in 2011? Yes, i believe that had something to do with his playing style.

The injuries he received in 2014? No, i don't believe it's playing style.

He injured his ankle by landing on someone's foot. That's a pretty routine injury for anyone in this league let alone Derrick Rose.

His hamstring injury came when it overstretched itself when he slid the way he did, supposedly on a wet patch.

Those 2 injuries seems rather routine to me, with the latter one being unlucky.

His playing style has changed dramatically. He is not attacking relentless (or recklessly) like he use to. He is taking more jumpers, playing more controlled, using his body more to get into the defender rather than trying to weave his way around it.

So, his recent injuries, i don't believe them to be a product of his playing style. Can i say that categorically with any level of confidence? Not really.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Re: The Derrick Rose Thread - Is It Thread 2 or 47? 

Post#2 » by kulaz3000 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:32 pm

I miss the days when Derrick used to do this:

And make opposing fans do this:

Why so serious?
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#3 » by panthermark » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:36 pm

KingCuban wrote:I don't think anyone can answer this question with any real clarity. Too many variables. It also depends on what injuries you're speaking about.

The injuries he received in 2011? Yes, i believe that had something to do with his playing style.

The injuries he received in 2014? No, i don't believe it's playing style.

He injured his ankle by landing on someone's foot. That's a pretty routine injury for anyone in this league let alone Derrick Rose.

His hamstring injury came when it overstretched itself when he slid the way he did, supposedly on a wet patch.

Those 2 injuries seems rather routine to me, with the latter one being unlucky.

His playing style has changed dramatically. He is not attacking relentless (or recklessly) like he use to. He is taking more jumpers, playing more controlled, using his body more to get into the defender rather than trying to weave his way around it.

So, his recent injuries, i don't believe them to be a product of his playing style. Can i say that categorically with any level of confidence? Not really.

Ok, then I'll put it like this.
If he knees are healthy, and were either acute/random injuries (maybe caused by his style of play)....or his severe injuries caused by his style of play while playing on other injuries that were also caused by his style of play....and now you believe his style of play has changed, along with his most recent injuries not being caused by his old style of play....then there should be no need to treat him like anything other than a 26 year old player with healthy knees.
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
Mech Engineer
RealGM
And1: 4,804

Post#4 » by Mech Engineer » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:39 pm

Both of Derrick's recent injuries were something anybody in the league would have sat. And, as KC said they were not something caused by his reckless play or like his non-contact injuries.

The only difference is Jen Swanson is probably the one dictating Derrick's availability unlike the previous years.

I also think his comments were pointed towards some media/fanbase when he said he doesn't care. He cares on how he feels and respects Jen/other trainers opinions without worrying about what others think.
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#5 » by panthermark » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:41 pm

kulaz3000 wrote:I miss the days when Derrick used to do this:

And make opposing fans do this:

Them days are gone.
That was one of my all time favorite dunks.....but I don't think his body can handle it.

Que the tapes of Billups and Tony Parker. Save those knees....
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#6 » by kingkirk » Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:43 pm

panthermark wrote:Ok, then I'll put it like this.
If he knees are healthy, and were either acute/random injuries (maybe caused by his style of play)....or his severe injuries caused by his style of play while playing on other injuries that were also caused by his style of play....and now you believe his style of play has changed, along with his most recent injuries not being caused by his old style of play....then there should be no need to treat him like anything other than a 26 year old player with healthy knees.

Well, to me, that makes zero sense.

For me, it's irrelevant at this point if the knees or any other injuries in 2011 were caused due to his playing style, his body physics and mechanics or if they were just random, unlucky events.

It's meaningless to me.

What matters is that they happened. They happened, and he missed 2 seasons of basketball. Well, even more if you add up all the other injuries pre ACL.

The injuries that he has sustained in 2014-15, to me, are unlucky injuries, but that doesn't erase the fact that he has torn his ACL and had his meniscus repaired.

How many 26 year old former MVPs have gone through that?

On that basis alone, whether his knees are fine now or not, he will never be a 'normal 26 year old'.

Treating him the same as anyone right now and expecting him to just go out and play 40 minutes and dominate is wrong. His body will be carrying aches that other guys simply won't have due to what he has been through.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Post#7 » by the ultimates » Wed Nov 26, 2014 12:41 am

This is the last I'm going to comment on this issue. Ignoring the graduation comments and past ACL and meniscus injuries where is the evidence that he took so much longer to come back from two sprained ankles and then a separate hamstring injury? People are questioning his will and toughness yet he played on two bad ankles against the Bucks. The same game where people during the game thread and post game thread said he lacked explosiveness. Some of the same things were said yesterday after the Utah game where he was playing on a less than 100% percent hamstring.

Being mad at Rose's injuries is totally different than questioning his ability to play through them when people have actually seen him do it this season. I don't know what it is, maybe it's this fait accompli with injuries Bulls fans have. Maybe it the need to bash the front office (they should have got an "elite' backup pg or gave up too much for McDermott) maybe its the subconscious feeling the Cavaliers will figure it all out. I don't know what it is sometimes this board needs Dr. Phil more than Bulls basketball.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,485

Post#8 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:07 am

the ultimates wrote: Ignoring the graduation comments and past ACL and meniscus injuries

Why should we do that?
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#9 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:17 am

So now people are saying Thibs was more lashing out at the media than at Rose when he made the comments he did last night?

Haha o man
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#10 » by the ultimates » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:29 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
the ultimates wrote: Ignoring the graduation comments and past ACL and meniscus injuries

Why should we do that?

Because he has recovered from both injuries and you have actually seen him play with bad ankles and a less than full strength hamstring this season.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
MAQ
RealGM
And1: 2,886

Post#11 » by MAQ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:36 am

BeatDaHeat420 wrote:So now people are saying Thibs was more lashing out at the media than at Rose when he made the comments he did last night?

Haha o man

You're of the opinion that he was lashing out at Rose (I guess)

Others are of the opinion that he was lashing out at the media.

Neither idea is more laughable than the other cuz we honestly don't know. All that is known is that Thibs is clearly frustrated, and understandably so.

But keep laughing away at the fact that anyone could possibly see things different than you. Such a productive conversation this thread is.
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:37 am

the ultimates wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:

Why should we do that?

Because he has recovered from both injuries and you have actually seen him play with bad ankles and a less than full strength hamstring this season.

He also said he could possibly go on that hammy the night after he injured it -- and then proceeded to miss another 10 games.

I don't claim to know what's up with his body. Which is why you won't catch me making hard statements about when he should come back. But some folks are so insistent that there's no reason to doubt that he's handling everything well. Just ignore his words, and previous rehabs, and what seems to be frustration from his coach. It's a head scratcher.
MAQ
RealGM

Post#13 » by MAQ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:38 am

I honestly don't know what's more frustrating and annoying regardless of which side you stand on. The Ferguson discussions or the Derrick Rose discussions
GYBE wrote:I don't think my behaviour changes at all when I'm drunk. But when I'm wasted, my girlfriend becomes a real klutz. She starts walking into doors and falling down stairs. Weird.
kulaz3000
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 23,820

Post#14 » by kulaz3000 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:50 am

To me it seems like it was a subtle (or not so subtle to some) to management/Jen in terms of management of the injured players and him feeling restricted as to who he can play, and for how long. To me, that's how I took those words from Thib's more than the media asking him about the same things over and over again.

Again, that's a guess, but with the history between him and management, along with him probably feeling he has his hands tied behind his back as to what he can do with his players, I can see his frustrations. That said, I can totally get where management is coming from also. Both sides aren't wrong.
Why so serious?
MAQ
RealGM

Post#15 » by MAQ » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:53 am

Let's not raise Ferguson in this already emotive thread. As a comparison or anything else, it's not needed. It's only going to make these threads even more heated than they typically are.

All posts referencing this have been removed.

Let's get back on topic, and let's not play the poster, but the post at hand.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#16 » by Rerisen » Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:57 am

Bulls fans - this is the Derrick Rose thread. Let's not derail it.
the ultimates
Analyst

Post#17 » by the ultimates » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:03 am

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
the ultimates wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
Why should we do that?

He also said he could possibly go on that hammy the night after he injured it -- and then proceeded to miss another 10 games.

I don't claim to know what's up with his body. Which is why you won't catch me making hard statements about when he should come back. But some folks are so insistent that there's no reason to doubt that he's handling everything well. Just ignore his words, and previous rehabs, and what seems to be frustration from his coach. It's a head scratcher.

Derrick is not the first athlete to say that he should be available for the next game after a minor tweak and then miss more games than expected nor will he be the last. I will ignore his words because it's typical generic stock quotes. People are inferring way too much into it looking for controversy. To me his coach is mad at the media why because Thibs said during the team USA camp it was going to be process for Rose to get back. He said the same things during training camp and preseason. The ACL rehab was managed terribly from an information stand point but nothing was wrong with the meniscus. They said he would be out for the rest of the season with a repair and that's what happened. People are really looking hard for a fall guy less than a month into the season.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#18 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:08 am

the ultimates wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:
the ultimates wrote:

Derrick is not the first athlete to say that he should be available for the next game after a minor tweak and then miss more games than expected nor will he be the last. I will ignore his words because it's typical generic stock quotes. People are inferring way too much into it looking for controversy. To me his coach is mad at the media why because Thibs said during the team USA camp it was going to be process for Rose to get back. He said the same things during training camp and preseason. The ACL rehab was managed terribly from an information stand point but nothing was wrong with the meniscus. They said he would be out for the rest of the season with a repair and that's what happened. People are really looking hard for a fall guy less than a month into the season.

Agree to disagree.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,396

Post#19 » by fleet » Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:23 am

"He's got to go"

I'm not sure how their is any alternate spin on a statement like that other than face value
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#20 » by drbg43 » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:18 am

BeatDaHeat420 wrote:So now people are saying Thibs was more lashing out at the media than at Rose when he made the comments he did last night?

Haha o man

did u hear the question? was asked if he thought rose looked fatigued in the second half. thats a ridiculous question first of all.

his response is a combination of things, probably mostly frustration with being constantly asked about roses availability, and the fact that rose is being babied right now by the media and the front office.

it wasnt a lash out at rose, but at the media and the way the organization is handling it. he wants to win, obviously he wants rose to play and thinks that he needs to play to get into the groove of things, i think we all understand that.

people are going to be freaking out in this thread again, makes sense, but wtvr, hamstring injuries and derrick dont go well together. he clearly was not himself the past 2 games so im not rly surprised he pulled himself out before the end of the denver first half. i dont think he necesarilly hurt himself but more realized he wasnt ready. thats what im hoping, but man its getting tough to be patient with him.

get well soon derrick.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using RealGM Forums mobile app
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig

Return to Chicago Bulls