Image ImageImage Image

OT: Melo open to being traded by Knicks

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

StephenAA
Senior
And1: 196

Re: OT: Melo open to being traded by Knicks 

Post#241 » by StephenAA » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:52 pm

coldfish wrote:The obvious question is: Derrick Rose for Carmelo?

- Bulls management and coaching obviously has their issues with Rose.
- He is the only contract that lines up with Melo.
- Average starting PG's are a dime a dozen in the NBA.
- Chicago's biggest issue is the wing.

Hinrich / Brooks
Butler
Melo / Dunleavey
Noah / Gibson
Gasol

And you have McDermott, Snell and Mirotic to trade for a PG. Maybe even dunleavey. Bulls can afford it too, even with the trade kicker. Even Butler's extension is within reason even if it creates a tax issue for a year.

The problem is Rose is from Chicago. I suspect that if he was from Plano, Texas, people here would be all over it.

The problem is also that Rose is playing really well as of late! After the way Rose has played so far this season you would entertain a trade for Rose / Melo - Really ??

Fish you should be banished for a post like that... :wink:

AA
StephenAA
Senior

Post#242 » by StephenAA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:03 am

DanTown8587 wrote:NY would only trade Anthony to rebuild and they're only going to do that if they get picks + young players and that's the exact opposite of Derrick Rose.

NY can only rebuild if the trade Melo - they are in no position to ask for young players and picks, on top of long-term salary relief by the trade itself...

AA
StephenAA
Senior

Post#243 » by StephenAA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:05 am

Ice Man wrote:If we're talking huge money for guys past their prime, I'd rather have Kobe. The Lakers have a better record than the Knicks, because Kobe is screaming, kicking, and willing his way to at least some victories.

Yes, I'd rather have Kobe than Melo - absolutely!

AA
StephenAA
Senior

Post#244 » by StephenAA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:07 am

coldfish wrote:
KingJordan23 wrote:So trading a 26 yr old that has had 2 pass knee injuries that hopefully could be behind him now for a 30+ year old that might need knee surgery and already has had some back issues this season makes a good trade?

You serious?

Let's not forget that as of right now, Melo is a better player than Rose. That's kind of a big factor.

No he's not!

AA
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,202

Post#245 » by coldfish » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 am

StephenAA wrote:

Hinrich / Brooks
Butler
Melo / Dunleavey
Noah / Gibson
Gasol

And you have McDermott, Snell and Mirotic to trade for a PG. Maybe even dunleavey. Bulls can afford it too, even with the trade kicker. Even Butler's extension is within reason even if it creates a tax issue for a year.

The problem is Rose is from Chicago. I suspect that if he was from Plano, Texas, people here would be all over it.

The problem is also that Rose is playing really well as of late! After the way Rose has played so far this season you would entertain a trade for Rose / Melo - Really ??

AA

Lol, maybe the fact that he has missed 211 of his last 274 potential games has me a little nervous. Forgive me.
bullsnewdynasty
RealGM
And1: 2,544

Post#246 » by bullsnewdynasty » Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:55 am

Mark K wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:I'd trade Rose for him. Better chance that Melo will stay healthy, also you don't have to worry about deciding whether to give Rose another deal when he's about to hit 30.

No, you won't have to worry about Rose getting an extension, but you will have to worry about how many seasons Melo will actually justify the deal he is on.

Is his 22.8 PPG on 53.9 TS% worth the 22.5m he is earning right now?

Instead, when he gets to 32-33, you will be asking yourself, "Do we have one of the worst contracts in the league?".

And if Melo was putting his customary numbers up, he'd never be on the block.

Unlike Rose, Melo's game is not dependent on athleticism.
StephenAA
Senior

Post#247 » by StephenAA » Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:20 am

coldfish wrote:
StephenAA wrote:

Hinrich / Brooks
Butler
Melo / Dunleavey
Noah / Gibson
Gasol

AA

Lol, maybe the fact that he has missed 211 of his last 274 potential games has me a little nervous. Forgive me.

Be nervous then - as of today there is simply more downside (considering every factor involved) going forward with Melo than Rose. And IMO, it's not even close...

AA
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,202

Post#248 » by coldfish » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:20 am

StephenAA wrote:
Be nervous then - as of today there is simply more downside (considering every factor involved) going forward with Melo than Rose. And IMO, it's not even close...

AA

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you consider all factors, not so much. For example, statistically Rose has something like a 30% chance of another ACL injury. Its not a rehab issue either as in most cases, its the other knee that goes. Once someone tears an ACL its an indication of an underlying physiological issue.

Derrick was great the other day. It would be awesome if he never has another issue. Realistically, the Bulls aren't trading him. I hope nothing but the best for Derrick. That said, let's not underestimate just how bad the odds are for Derrick right now. He has a significant history of injuries to many parts of his body.

And yes, I'm fully aware of all the issues with Melo. Not his biggest fan.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#249 » by kingkirk » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:02 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:And if Melo was putting his customary numbers up, he'd never be on the block.

The Knicks haven't out Melo on the trade block. The reason why this thread exists is because he is reportedly willing to waive his no trade clause, though he has now denied this.

Phil Jackson and the Knicks don't have Melo on the block because of his less than standard performances. This whole thing exists because the guy is (allegedly) quitting 25 games into the season.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,751

Post#250 » by Jeffster81 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:30 am

I said it in the summer that if Melo wants to re-sign with the Knicks, I wouldn't begrudge him. But he could not complain as the losses mounted, he had to keep quiet. Now he decides to he wants out. The Bulls are not his sloppy seconds, just because he is having seller's remorse. He had he chance to get out of that sewage that is call the NY Knicks but he chose to stay. Screw him.

I don't know what funnier: Melo wanted out, the delusional trade proposals of Knicks fans (2k computer would laugh at those proposals), or the Bulls fans reactions to either. I love Bulls fans. It's threads like this that makes me proud to be a Bulls fan.

Melo you had your chance and blew it. I don't know if I would a Rose for Melo but I do know I wouldn't do it without having another PG in place. I don't want Hinrich or Brooks as starter. I want to see Rose continue his play before we should consider a preemptive trade. I think we all agree he isn't going to re-sign with the Bulls, so a trade should be considered. I just don't know if Melo is the guy I want to trade him for.
Mbrahv0528
Veteran
And1: 1,313

Post#251 » by Mbrahv0528 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:21 am

bullsnewdynasty wrote:
Mark K wrote:
bullsnewdynasty wrote:I'd trade Rose for him. Better chance that Melo will stay healthy, also you don't have to worry about deciding whether to give Rose another deal when he's about to hit 30.

No, you won't have to worry about Rose getting an extension, but you will have to worry about how many seasons Melo will actually justify the deal he is on.

Is his 22.8 PPG on 53.9 TS% worth the 22.5m he is earning right now?

Instead, when he gets to 32-33, you will be asking yourself, "Do we have one of the worst contracts in the league?".

And if Melo was putting his customary numbers up, he'd never be on the block.

Except that he's not putting up his customary numbers so it's a moot point. Melo is declining right in front of our eyes and is nowhere near worth the money he's being paid. The Bulls would never do this trade so it really doesn't even matter.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using RealGM Forums mobile app
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#252 » by kingkirk » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:25 am

Jeffster81 wrote:I said it in the summer that if Melo wants to re-sign with the Knicks, I wouldn't begrudge him. But he could not complain as the losses mounted, he had to keep quiet. Now he decides to he wants out. The Bulls are not his sloppy seconds, just because he is having seller's remorse. He had he chance to get out of that sewage that is call the NY Knicks but he chose to stay. Screw him.

I don't know what funnier: Melo wanted out, the delusional trade proposals of Knicks fans (2k computer would laugh at those proposals), or the Bulls fans reactions to either. I love Bulls fans. It's threads like this that makes me proud to be a Bulls fan.

Melo you had your chance and blew it. I don't know if I would a Rose for Melo but I do know I wouldn't do it without having another PG in place. I don't want Hinrich or Brooks as starter. I want to see Rose continue his play before we should consider a preemptive trade. I think we all agree he isn't going to re-sign with the Bulls, so a trade should be considered. I just don't know if Melo is the guy I want to trade him for.

I would hope your reaction to this rumour was as follows:

Fitting.
bpchamp23
Banned User
And1: 16

Post#253 » by bpchamp23 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:41 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
RealFan wrote:
I don't agree with your assessment of Noah's impact on the offense. I think he's a terrific passer who plays well within the offense. In the road game against the Clips (no Rose or Gasol), Noah created so many scoring opportunities for others with his point-center play.

Put me in the camp of no Melo. If healthy, we have what we need to win a ring.

Exactly. Nobody has five premier scorers in their starting lineups. You need guys who set picks and guys who pass and guys who roll to the basket guys who rebound and get you thoise 2nd and 3rd chances and guys who clean up misses. Noah isn't a premier scorer but he is a good offensive player and facilitator and elite offensive rebounder

The facilitator role that he plays very well in the regular season won't work against defenses in the playoffs because teams study and prepare. The playoffs are much different than regular season games. He couldn't make those passes against Washington in April/May. Again, he's a great defender and rebounder. I just wish he was more skilled offensively. If the defense respected him more, the court would open up. Noah gets the ball and there's not a defender in sight. The offense freezes. It sucks.
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#254 » by ingvald » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:22 pm

bpchamp23 wrote:The facilitator role that he plays very well in the regular season won't work against defenses in the playoffs because teams study and prepare. The playoffs are much different than regular season games. He couldn't make those passes against Washington in April/May. Again, he's a great defender and rebounder. I just wish he was more skilled offensively. If the defense respected him more, the court would open up. Noah gets the ball and there's not a defender in sight. The offense freezes. It sucks.

The complete lack of offensive playmakers may have had something to do with that as well. Thibs came up with a creative offensive system that maximized talent on an offensively challenged roster. If the Bulls are healthy come playoff time, we won't need to see Noah as the Point Center but his passing will be a huge asset.
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,313

Post#255 » by JordansBulls » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:29 pm

StephenAA wrote:
DanTown8587 wrote:NY would only trade Anthony to rebuild and they're only going to do that if they get picks + young players and that's the exact opposite of Derrick Rose.

NY can only rebuild if the trade Melo - they are in no position to ask for young players and picks, on top of long-term salary relief by the trade itself...

AA

This. NY has to take the money back in a trade and just get expiring deals instead of a 25 million dollar a year contract on there books for the next 5 years.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,512

Post#256 » by AirP. » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:02 pm

StephenAA wrote:Be nervous then - as of today there is simply more downside (considering every factor involved) going forward with Melo than Rose. And IMO, it's not even close...

AA

Another injury is a huge downside, Chicago unwilling to give him the max in 2 1/2 more years, Rose shutting it down in the playoffs because of a small injury. By the way, how much is a very athletic PG worth going into his 30s? Normally they take huge downturns in their career, look at Deron Williams as an example and he's 30?. There's a ton more upside having Rose vs Melo but there's also a ton of downside for having him too.

Now toss in the ability Chicago has getting lesser talented PGs to put up sizeable numbers in his place and maybe it's much easier replacing a PG in Chicago's system than a wing. DJ's collecting dust in Detroit, he might be available for not that much.
NZB2323
RealGM
And1: 7,699

Post#257 » by NZB2323 » Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:43 pm

coldfish wrote:
StephenAA wrote:

AA

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but if you consider all factors, not so much. For example, statistically Rose has something like a 30% chance of another ACL injury. Its not a rehab issue either as in most cases, its the other knee that goes. Once someone tears an ACL its an indication of an underlying physiological issue.

Derrick was great the other day. It would be awesome if he never has another issue. Realistically, the Bulls aren't trading him. I hope nothing but the best for Derrick. That said, let's not underestimate just how bad the odds are for Derrick right now. He has a significant history of injuries to many parts of his body.

And yes, I'm fully aware of all the issues with Melo. Not his biggest fan.

He already hurt his other knee and had more extensive surgery in order to make it recover stronger. So that stat doesn't really apply to him.
ChosunX
Banned User
And1: 692

Post#258 » by ChosunX » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:03 pm

StephenAA wrote:
Ice Man wrote:If we're talking huge money for guys past their prime, I'd rather have Kobe. The Lakers have a better record than the Knicks, because Kobe is screaming, kicking, and willing his way to at least some victories.

Yes, I'd rather have Kobe than Melo - absolutely!

AA

The reason the Lakers ended up in this current situation was because of him. Chicago should absolutly pass.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Post#259 » by RebuildaBulls » Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:43 am

Knicks are basically stuck with melo and a lousy team at least until that TV deal comes into effect, then they can hope for some free agents willing to play with an older and declining Melo
Land Rover
Senior
And1: 264

Post#260 » by Land Rover » Tue Dec 16, 2014 6:22 am

Melo is like the Jay Cutler of the NBA

oh wait, Melo actually has talent... nevermind!

Return to Chicago Bulls