Image ImageImage Image

It's time to trade Gibson

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

mymysql
Sixth Man
And1: 303

Re: It's time to trade Gibson 

Post#261 » by mymysql » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:50 am

Tenchi Ryu wrote:
Leto wrote:Nah. If we trade one of our bigs it should be Gasol.

No thank you, I'll rather keep that near 20 point double double machine.

Why do I feel like the Gasol situation is going to polarize this board like deja vu before the end of the season.

Tenchi Ryu
RealGM
And1: 6,426

Post#262 » by Tenchi Ryu » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am

mymysql wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:

Why do I feel like the Gasol situation is going to polarize this board like deja vu before the end of the season.

Nope, imo its gonna be Noah. The fanbase is starting to split between those who feel he deserves a chance to get healthy, and those who feel he's on the decline and we try to get something before he becomes completely worthless.
[x] Fire Thibs
[x] Fire Kirk
[x] Fire Noah
[x] Fire GarPax
Leto
RealGM
And1: 468

Post#263 » by Leto » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:51 am

Tenchi Ryu wrote:

Im with you. I don't think we should trade any of our front court guys. And, we don't need to. We can get a nice wing upgrade with some combo of Dunleavy, Snell, McD, Moore and our picks.
mymysql
Sixth Man

Post#264 » by mymysql » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:52 am

Rerisen wrote:
mymysql wrote:I don't even really think much of Doug, but if the Bulls gave up on him already for Kevin Martin, it would be a bigger fail than the Nets giving up their 6th pick for Gerald Wallace.

Bulls are trying to win a title now. In the next couple years.

Even if Doug is going to have a greater career than Martin eventually (hardly a certainty) its very unlikely he's much more productive over this year and next. Kmart had a 21 PER and .650 TS% this season.

And we know Doug isn't much more of a defender.

I had hopes yet for McDermott turning it around, but after missing 2 months the odds are just extremely long. Considering he had nothing going, won't get big minutes coming back, and will need a while just to get back into rhythm.

I mean I agree in theory, but we just gave up 2 mid first round draft picks for Doug. If you told me last summer we gave up two mid first rounders for Kevin Martin I would find a new team to root for.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#265 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:56 am

mymysql wrote:I mean I agree in theory, but we just gave up 2 mid first round draft picks for Doug. If you told me last summer we gave up two mid first rounders for Kevin Martin I would find a new team to root for.

That's not how you would wisely evaluate a present context move though, by what you gave up in the past.

Part of the reason they gave up all that and moved up to get him was the belief he was going to be a rotation player this year. Otherwise, they would have gotten a different 3rd wing player. But its not looking like he's going to be.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#266 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:00 am

The seasons not over yet. Douglas might still be a rotation player when it's all said and done.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#267 » by kingkirk » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:01 am

Rerisen wrote:That's not how you would wisely evaluate a present context move though, by what you gave up in the past.

Part of the reason they gave up all that and moved up to get him was the belief he was going to be a rotation player this year. Otherwise, they would have gotten a different 3rd wing player. But its not looking like he's going to be.

We're 25 games into the season. It's not even remotely close to the time to start considering trading Doug.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#268 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:01 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:The seasons not over yet. Douglas might still be a rotation player when it's all said and done.

He could be but the tough thing with waiting to see, is by the time he gets back the deadline is probably going to be passing. So if the team is struggling in terms of being a legit title contender, and needs a move before then might have to make a decision.

Is Doug more important than Taj or Mirotic?

Or we just stand pat no matter what, no matter how pedestrian we might still be looking by then?
mymysql
Sixth Man

Post#269 » by mymysql » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:02 am

Rerisen wrote:
mymysql wrote:I mean I agree in theory, but we just gave up 2 mid first round draft picks for Doug. If you told me last summer we gave up two mid first rounders for Kevin Martin I would find a new team to root for.

That's not how you would wisely evaluate a present context move though, by what you gave up in the past.

Well the real story is we should have never drafted Doug to begin with, but that's already happened so at this point it would just be incredibly dumb to already give up on him for someone as unremarkable as Kevin Martin. KMart is a player we should have gotten for cheap to upgrade Dunleavy's role.
Leto
RealGM

Post#270 » by Leto » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:03 am

I think we should pick up Francisco Garcia who is set to be released by the Rockets.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#271 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am

Leto wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:

Im with you. I don't think we should trade any of our front court guys. And, we don't need to. We can get a nice wing upgrade with some combo of Dunleavy, Snell, McD, Moore and our picks.

McDermott is probably not going any where. Trading Dunleavy still leaves a hole unless you replace him with guy that can go 36 minutes.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#272 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am

Rerisen wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:The seasons not over yet. Douglas might still be a rotation player when it's all said and done.

He could be but the tough thing with waiting to see, is by the time he gets back the deadline is probably going to be passing. So if the team is struggling and needs a move before then might have to make a decision.

Or we just stand pat no matter what, no matter how pedestrian we might still be looking by then?

Or you can trust that the coaching staff knows better than we do what kind of player Douglas is.
Leto
RealGM

Post#273 » by Leto » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:04 am

WindyCityBorn wrote:
Leto wrote:
Tenchi Ryu wrote:

McDermott is pretty probably not going any where. Trading Dunleavy still leaves a hole unless you replace him with guy that can go 36 minutes.

I agree. But I'd trade Dunleavy, Snell, Moore and picks to get Wilson Chandler.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#274 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:05 am

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Or you can trust that the coaching staff knows better than we do what kind of player Douglas is.

The coaching staff isn't making the decisions on personnel though.

If it was pretty sure Mirotic and Doug wouldn't both be here this year, based on Thibs's comments in preseason about rookies and title teams.
AirP.
RealGM
And1: 28,713

Post#275 » by AirP. » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:06 am

mymysql wrote:
Rerisen wrote:

Well the real story is we should have never drafted Doug to begin with, but that's already happened so at this point it would just be incredibly dumb to already give up on him for someone as unremarkable as Kevin Martin. KMart is a player we should have gotten for cheap to upgrade Dunleavy's role.

Dunleavey took less to be a backup in Chicago. When he signed we already had Deng at SF. I'm not sure it's really good for long term business to trade someone who took less to play for a team, it makes it hard to get anyone else to do that. So far Chicago's got 3 players on the roster who took less to be in Chicago... MDJ, Hinrich and Gasol. It would be nice to keep getting players under market value.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM

Post#276 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:09 am

Rerisen wrote:
JohnnyKILLroy wrote:Or you can trust that the coaching staff knows better than we do what kind of player Douglas is.

The coaching staff isn't making the decisions on personnel though.

If it was pretty sure Mirotic and Doug wouldn't both be here this year, based on Thibs's comments in preseason about rookies and title teams.

Yeah and what's happened since then? Nikola is a contributor now.

All Doug has to do is hit open shots for a few minutes a game. We're not asking him to be prolific right away just contribute.

It's not as bad as some make it out to be.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,788

Post#277 » by WindyCityBorn » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:09 am

Rerisen wrote:

He could be but the tough thing with waiting to see, is by the time he gets back the deadline is probably going to be passing. So if the team is struggling in terms of being a legit title contender, and needs a move before then might have to make a decision.

I could easily see him being more important than Taj if management isn't completely focused on this season.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#278 » by Rerisen » Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:13 am

We'll revisit these threads in February.

Either to laugh at them, or with a renewed sense of urgency as to the stakes.
Googjob
Sixth Man
And1: 361

Post#279 » by Googjob » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:39 am

I think the team is fine as is. They can target a wing after buyout season. They've gotten off to a good start considering all the injuries and minute limitations.

As for trading Taj, you're putting a ton of stock in Jo's knee and a 34-year old Gasol holding up throughout the season. Because if one of them went down, Cameron Bairstow is playing 20 minutes a night come playoff time. Having 4 solid bigs is great in this league and allows them to be cautious when it comes to recovering from injury. They can afford to lose a big for significant time and still stay above water. As great as Mirotic has been, he's still a rookie and still has a lot to learn.

We can revisit trading one of the bigs come Summer but I don't see the point right now. There is no one who would be an upgrade over Taj that I see available come deadline time.
Googjob
Sixth Man
And1: 361

Post#280 » by Googjob » Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:44 am

The Bulls aren't trading a lottery pick (McDermott) who is under franchise control for years to come for Kevin Martin.

Return to Chicago Bulls