Image ImageImage Image

Should GarPax be taken to task for not making a move during trading season?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Should GarPax be taken to task for not making a move during trading season? 

Post#1 » by errisal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:07 am

“Initially, the last procedure he had on the meniscus, we knew this was a possibility,” Thibodeau said. “And so unfortunately it didn’t take and now they have to go back in and take care of it.”

This is a quote that makes me believe that the FO needs to be taken to task for not making sure they had a contingency plan in place. If this was already out there prior to the season, then why didn't you go after the reliable PG's that became available at the trade deadline. It was clear even before DRose went down that this team needed more options and that you needed a more reliable PG option other than Kirk. I would assume that Thibs fought for his guy Kirk but it was GarPax who ultimately is responsible for the roster. This is just one more move or non-move this FO has screwed. I go all the way back to not trading the no.7 pick and Donyell Marshall for a chance to draft Wade and the penultimate mistake of trading Aldridge for Tyrus. I won't even think about the rumored Gasol for Deng 3 years ago when Pau was a bit younger and a lot more athletic. I'd rather keep Thibs going forward and move out the FO if change is needed.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Re: Should GarPax be taken to task for not making a move during trading season? 

Post#2 » by kingkirk » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:08 am

No.

They should be banished though for not having future predicting powers. That is unacceptable.
errisal
Head Coach

Post#3 » by errisal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:49 am

Mark K wrote:No.

They should be banished though for not having future predicting powers. That is unacceptable.

What does predicting powers have to do with making contingencies as a business. If you had a worker who had a history of seizures and was on medication would that stop you for having a contingency plan in case that person has to be out due to the medication suddenly not being effective?

It was the FO's job to have a contingency plan in case Rose re-injured himself during the season or during the playoffs. It's not like this was something out of nowhere.
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#4 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:49 am

No. They should praised for not gambling assets on Rose's health.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#5 » by Rerisen » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:51 am

They could have went after a PG sure, but I think the contingency plan was Carmelo Anthony.

Can debate whether that was a wise move in hindsight. But once it fell through, I don't think there was any good Rose alternatives left on the market.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,789

Post#6 » by WindyCityBorn » Thu Feb 26, 2015 5:55 am

errisal wrote:

What does predicting powers have to do with making contingencies as a business. If you had a worker who had a history of seizures and was on medication would that stop you for having a contingency plan in case that person has to be out due to the medication suddenly not being effective?

It was the FO's job to have a contingency plan in case Rose re-injured himself during the season or during the playoffs. It's not like this was something out of nowhere.

Without Rose playing like a star the Bulls were not going to win a championship regardless. You don't overcome losing your highest paid and most important player.
errisal
Head Coach

Post#7 » by errisal » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:06 am

Rerisen wrote:They could have went after a PG sure, but I think the contingency plan was Carmelo Anthony.

Can debate whether that was a wise move in hindsight. But once it fell through, I don't think there was any good Rose alternatives left on the market.

I'm not talking just the beginning of the season. At the trade deadline there was some decent PG's available that would have easily fit coming off the bench or move into the starting role in case of another injury. All of Chicago and the league knew the Bulls backup PG's were deficient.
logical_art
RealGM
And1: 3,671

Post#8 » by logical_art » Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:41 am

I think with Brooks regressing to his recent mean, Hinrich looking done and Rose being a risk they could have tried to get a better backup PG.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#9 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:51 am

Absolutely not. You can't predict injuries and they built this roster to compete and win right now. It's terrible Rose got hurt again, but that's hardly on them. Besides, what moves were there to realistically make?
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#10 » by ADDinChicago » Thu Feb 26, 2015 7:52 am

logical_art wrote:I think with Brooks regressing to his recent mean, Hinrich looking done and Rose being a risk they could have tried to get a better backup PG.

With what? The only real tradeable commodity would have been Taj Gibson and Pax would have wanted too much. On the other end, who was out there they actually could have landed? People wanted Afflalo (not a PG) when the Bulls had little to offer.
sicko
Senior
And1: 99

Post#11 » by sicko » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 pm

I will be honest, I have my issues with Thibs but his system is effective and it works, it allows us to still make the playoffs and still be competitive without Rose. Instead of losing what is considered ONE OF the best Coaches in the NBA...I would Blow It Up! No NOT THE TEAM, THE FRONT OFFICE! Gar and Paxson should GO and Thibs should be given MORE POWER to not only coach but also bringing in the players HE NEED to make this thing work. The Players seem to LOVE Thibs but the Front Office probably don't like him because THEY CAN'T CONTROL HIM! Didn't Paxson have issues and Choke Vinny Del Negro as well? OK well to me maybe that is the guy that needs to GO instead of changing coaches YET AGAIN! How can you get rid of or let a coach walk that wins despite the franchise player not being on the Court most of the time he been here.

So I say DUMP Gar Foreman and John Paxson, and GIVE THIBS MORE POWER! Thibs also is liked and respected around the NBA by PLAYERS and Fellow Coaches. Thibs can probably land a big time free agent before Gar Foreman and Paxson who failed at doing so multiple times now. Coach Popovich recently backing Thibs that is a STRONG ENDORSEMENT from the Best Coach in Basketball Right Now!

This damn Fred Hoiberg HYPE is a JOKE to me, do people just have a weird MAN CRUSH on this guy. Why Him? Hire Him Based on WHAT EXACTLY?
northbrookrich
Veteran
And1: 54

Post#12 » by northbrookrich » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:23 pm

Yes! I can't believe they didn't trade Gibson for LeBron at the trading deadline in case their top scorer and leader got hurt. What were they thinking???!!!???
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#13 » by kodo » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:47 pm

Pretty easy to just say the FO should have done “something”.

What moves would you have made as a GM, considering we’re almost certainly not good enough to win a championship even w/ Rose healthy and Jimmy Butler needs a max contract next season and the owner doesn’t allow us the GM to go deeply into the lux tax.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#14 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:50 pm

People fail to realize that if Thibs were in charge of personnel we would have team full of Mike James/Brewers/Bogans/Hinrichs.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#15 » by bullsRlife » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:00 pm

JohnnyKILLroy wrote:People fail to realize that if Thibs were in charge of personnel we would have team full of Mike James/Brewers/Bogans/Hinrichs.

The FO got those guys.

But yeah, I don't think the FO could have done any better than the team they constructed this year. I still think they're incredibly dumb for letting Kyle go. The Asik situation is so over blown. It came down to Taj and Asik, and gimme Taj any day of the week.

And yeah, at the time Kirk wasn't an albatross, and I even remember a lot of posters thinking he would be a good, scrappy, backup, so can't really hate on them for that. It just sucks that he's been playing out of position for the last few years, and forced to play over his head, due to injuries. And it doesn't help that Thibs has a boner for the guy.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#16 » by Red Larrivee » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:01 pm

During the Paxson era, the Bulls have never been a team that looks to improve by making trades for veteran players. They make moves for draft picks and sign free agents.

Rose-Draft Pick
Butler-Draft Pick
Dunleavy-FA signing
Gasol-FA signing
Noah-Draft Pick

Gibson-Draft Pick
Mirotic-Draft Pick
Brooks-FA signing
Snell-Draft Pick
McDermott-Draft Pick
Hinrich-FA signing (originally draft pick)
Bairstow-Draft Pick
Mohammed-FA signing
Moore-FA signing

The next time the Bulls make a trade to acquire a proven talent to build with, it will be the first.
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#17 » by bullsRlife » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:18 pm

Red Larrivee wrote:During the Paxson era, the Bulls have never been a team that looks to improve by making trades for veteran players. They make moves for draft picks and sign free agents.

Rose-Draft Pick
Butler-Draft Pick
Dunleavy-FA signing
Gasol-FA signing
Noah-Draft Pick

Gibson-Draft Pick
Mirotic-Draft Pick
Brooks-FA signing
Snell-Draft Pick
McDermott-Draft Pick
Bairstow-Draft Pick
Mohammed-FA signing
Moore-FA signing

The next time the Bulls make a trade to acquire a proven talent to build with, it will be the first.

This is true, and the most annoying quality about this FO.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#18 » by kyrv » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:26 pm

So much this.

But not sure if the OP is aware, but GarPax are taken to task daily, if not hourly.

Ahh the wonderful and mythical 'a move'. Make 'a move'. I did read that making 'a move' would have prevent the rest of the team from playing poorly. However, I'm not sure if I buy that.

I don't know what moves were there. The leaked moves I've read about in the past two years have been so-so to downright bad.
Concept Coop
Analyst
And1: 608

Post#19 » by Concept Coop » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:27 pm

This place is a trip. We have $20 Million in dead money and are still a top 10 team in the league. You're welcome.
Real GM Bulls Board: Step 2 - Anger
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#20 » by kyrv » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:29 pm

bullsRlife wrote:
Red Larrivee wrote:During the Paxson era, the Bulls have never been a team that looks to improve by making trades for veteran players. They make moves for draft picks and sign free agents.

Rose-Draft Pick
Butler-Draft Pick
Dunleavy-FA signing
Gasol-FA signing
Noah-Draft Pick

Gibson-Draft Pick
Mirotic-Draft Pick
Brooks-FA signing
Snell-Draft Pick
McDermott-Draft Pick
Bairstow-Draft Pick
Mohammed-FA signing
Moore-FA signing

This is true, and the most annoying quality about this FO.

I am confused by this logic, shared by others, not just you, that you don't want a good team, you want the pieces acquired a certain way. Personally I can't imagine caring how it is done. And in fact depending on trades (versus FA and drafting) is not the best way to build a contender.

They build a good team by doing what they are good at. How the bleep is that annoying?

Return to Chicago Bulls