Image ImageImage Image

Derrick Roses next contract

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

How much would you pay Rose if he stays relatively healthy (60+ games a year)

Lower than 5 million
11%
5 million
15%
10 million
40%
15 million
22%
20 million
13%

Total votes: 95

Rili67
Senior
And1: 321

Derrick Roses next contract 

Post#1 » by Rili67 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 10:08 am

I know this has been discussed before.. but I'm going to bring it up again.

Assuming Derrick Rose stays at a level of 18ppg and 6 or so assist, what would his next contract be like?
Derrick went for the money grab last time.. because of that he is set for life. Also, he didn't really earn his contract being as injured as he was.

So does Derrick owe the Bulls a break next contract? If so..how much? How much would be too to pay much if you're the Bulls, considering all that's happened. Also keep in mind, we know have two viable, young scoring options in Niko, and Butler.

I'll put a poll up... Check what you would pay him, and we will assume anything above that, the bulls let him walk.

If it were me running the Bulls, I'd offer him 10 mil x 4 IF he stays healthy the next 2 years. If he doesn't stay really healthy.. it would be more like 5 mil per year.

For the polls sake we will say he stays relatively healthy.
Thanks to Bullsfan88
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Re: Derrick Roses next contract 

Post#2 » by ralphisBullsFan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:10 pm

to early to say....as you mentioned there's two variables, right now....a lot depends on his production, his health, his ability to make the team better(how does he play with mirotic)....by the time his contract comes up there will probably be more variables...how good will snell be how good will doug be..what will happen with noah, taj, ect....

so like i said to early to say right now, can't predict what will happen in the next two years....but say for arguments sake his contract ended after this year...I'd offer him a two or three deal worth no more than 5 million a year...probably a three yeah deal last year player option 4 million a year with a lot of player incentives, as many as possible....let him try to earn another pay day by staying healthy and playing good....

bottom line if the bulls offer him something fair and he walks to get an extra few mill a year elsewhere he will look bad after the bulls were behind him after every injury and surgery....
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#3 » by DanTown8587 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:34 pm

Cap could be 100 million by the time Derrick becomes a FA so who knows.
[e]
Veteran
And1: 1,253

Post#4 » by [e] » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:37 pm

Too early to tell at the moment. Right now, not a whole lot. If he stays healthy from here on out, I don't see why he wouldn't get another big deal, as there would be other teams willing to pay up.

I do hope he gives a hometown discount and stays regardless of what happens
D1ckeyS1mpkins
Junior
And1: 127

Post#5 » by D1ckeyS1mpkins » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:29 pm

I don't think it's fair to say he went for the money grab last time. He was worth every bit of that max contract prior to the ACL injury.

Too early to tell but if we're assuming he's healthy and playing well, he's going to get paid.
ingvald
Veteran
And1: 1,861

Post#6 » by ingvald » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:34 pm

DanTown8587 wrote:Cap could be 100 million by the time Derrick becomes a FA so who knows.

I don't think this can be overstated. The relative value of contracts (and our perception of them) will likely change significantly in the next 3 years. Its entirely possible that $20M will be a value contract by then, we just really don't know what the market will bear.
Honesty is my only excuse.
BullsFan88- the Sig Mamba
greenl
Starter
And1: 1,519

Post#7 » by greenl » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:49 pm

I'd be leery- were I a GM of giving him too much. He'll be 28 at the end of this deal and his athleticism- which is already waning due to the number of injuries- will further decline due to old age. I don't see him as a player whose game will age well.
"Children are smarter than any of us. Know how I know that? I don't know one child with a full time job and children." - Bill Hicks
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,214

Post#8 » by coldfish » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:54 pm

Just have to note that Derrick Rose is going to be eligible for an extension that pays him in excess of $30M per year. A full max by the Bulls might be close to $180M. From another team, maybe 4 years $130M. If Rose plays moderately well in his contract year, some team is going to offer it to him.

This really should be a yes/no question:
Should the Bulls offer Rose a contract of 5 years $180M when he is a free agent in two years?
Yes - Keep him and cross your fingers
No - The team will have capspace. Spend it on someone else and let Rose walk.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,839

Post#9 » by TheSuzerain » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:57 pm

coldfish wrote:Just have to note that Derrick Rose is going to be eligible for an extension that pays him in excess of $30M per year. A full max by the Bulls might be close to $180M. From another team, maybe 4 years $130M. If Rose plays moderately well in his contract year, some team is going to offer it to him.

Should the Bulls offer Rose a contract of 5 years $180M when he is a free agent in two years?

I have my doubts about the bolded.

If those are our only two choices, you let him walk ten times out of ten.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,778

Post#10 » by jc23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:00 pm

impossible to say, but i will say this, if he doesnt give us a hometown discount he can politely gtfo. And im super pro Rose, have said he is the main reason Chicago basketball was put back on the map and that Bulls should remain loyal to him due to it. But he has only given the Bulls 1 great year (and 2 1/2 ok years) while Chicago has been patient and accommodating with him for the past 3. People say superstars are underpaid in this league, not DRose, if you average out what he is making per actual played game he is the highest paid player in the league.
Be curious, Not judgmental
BoocheeMan1117
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#11 » by BoocheeMan1117 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:01 pm

15-20 mil per year makes all the sense in the world. Salary cap will be expanding exponentially.
pylb
General Manager
And1: 3,679

Post#12 » by pylb » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Really depends on his level of play. He was improving before the knee injury. Cap's going up. I'd probably go up to 15/16, though I'd rather give him something like 12.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,778

Post#13 » by jc23 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 3:06 pm

greenl wrote:I'd be leery- were I a GM of giving him too much. He'll be 28 at the end of this deal and his athleticism- which is already waning due to the number of injuries- will further decline due to old age. I don't see him as a player whose game will age well.

i felt this way before all his injuries, game gets alot harder as you continue to age and lose a half step here and there. Its why Josh Smith has fallen off a cliff, he use to make up for his poor basketball skills (shooting, bbiq etc) by out athleting (real word? lol) opponents, now that he has regressed athletically closer to the mean his weaknesses have been amplified.
Be curious, Not judgmental
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#14 » by kyrv » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:17 am

TheSuzerain wrote:
coldfish wrote:Just have to note that Derrick Rose is going to be eligible for an extension that pays him in excess of $30M per year. A full max by the Bulls might be close to $180M. From another team, maybe 4 years $130M. If Rose plays moderately well in his contract year, some team is going to offer it to him.

I have my doubts about the bolded.

If those are our only two choices, you let him walk ten times out of ten.

Yes we have no idea how he will play, or how much he will play.

-------------------------------

Answering this poll is like guessing lottery numbers. You may guess right. Good luck.
TheStig
RealGM
And1: 3,899

Post#15 » by TheStig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:20 am

Rose's next contract really depends on what Rose does these last 2 years. Any max or near max deal would be predicated on at least 150 games played and 20+ppg on efficent scoring. Maybe a smaller market will take a risk but I doubt the Bulls will.
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,924

Post#16 » by Wingy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:39 am

$0

I move him as soon as I can, for as much as I can get.
jimmy_smith
Bench Warmer
And1: 914

Post#17 » by jimmy_smith » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:40 am

The full max in new CBA will be 30m+ per year.
If Rose can stay healthy, signing him with "only" 20m+ is too optimists.

And anyone say he will accept 10m is delusional themselves.
KC: Do you still think your a championship caliber team?
Gar: I never said that and correct me if i'm wrong
KC: You were asked that question at the news conference announcing Thibodeau's dismissal and you answered yes
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#18 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:41 am

I wouldn't give the max unless he puts up MVP the numbers again AND stays healthy the next two years. Honestly he should give team a discount after not playing for at least half of his current contract, but that is easy for me to say as a fan.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,236

Post#19 » by kodo » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:20 am

Cold hard reality is that
2014-15: meniscus removal
2013-14: meniscus repair
2012-13: rehab
2011-12: ACL tear

3 major knee surgeries in 4 years. That's about as high risk a contract as you can get.
The only season he didn't need knee surgery was the year he didn't play.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#20 » by Axl Rose » Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:44 am

at this point i wouldn't even resign him as hes too much of a liability

but things could change
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib

Return to Chicago Bulls