Image ImageImage Image

Rose expected back vs Magic: 20mins Thibs pg 44

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

bennjuiced34
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,009

Re: Rose expected back vs Magic: 20mins Thibs pg 44 

Post#1041 » by bennjuiced34 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:44 pm

TimRobbins wrote:
fleet wrote:There's nothing anybody can do about it. Rose does what he wants these days, as we have seen over the last few years. Other than bench him, and that's not in the cards. I'm sure Thibs is taking the good with the bad concerning Rose's contributions. I feel when Rose said that he is numb to Thibs last year, he was being truthful. As he always is truthful. People don't seem to want to acknowledge this.

Since Rose isn't going anywhere this is on Thibs. He needs to find a way to reach him. Either that or he should be replaced with somebody who can reach Rose (or you just waive Rose Josh Smith style).

If there's a reason to be optimistic here it's that Rose plays a lot better against good teams. It's almost like he uses games against crappy teams as shooting practice.

This entire year the story of this team has been their 'switch,' Rose included. They play to the level of their competition.

Rose's game will change in the playoffs. I will guarantee you that. Now, how effective will he be? Who knows, but he'll be more aggressive, just as he's been in big games this year. Portland, Toronto x2, Cleveland x2, @Dallas, @Golden State, San Antonio.

That's the Rose we'll probably see in terms of how he attacks the game. For now though, unfortunately, we'll have to live with his 3 point shot parade.
BoocheeMan1117
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#1042 » by BoocheeMan1117 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:52 pm

Rose's defense was great last night. Wow. He looked healthy on both ends for the first time in a while
bentheredengthat
General Manager
And1: 1,606

Post#1043 » by bentheredengthat » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:00 pm

When do you guys think they'll bump his minutes?

I'm really hoping he goes to 25 next week and 30 to start the playoffs.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,550

Post#1044 » by Ice Man » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:07 pm

bentheredengthat wrote:When do you guys think they'll bump his minutes?

I'm really hoping he goes to 25 next week and 30 to start the playoffs.

At the least. He just went 20 back to back, and there are no more back to back games left.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#1045 » by gardenofsound » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:58 pm

I think he needs to be at 28-30 minutes for the next game. Home game against the Sixers. You don't get your wind and conditioning unless you push yourself beyond your comfort level. The 20 minutes should have been 25 had there not been B2B's.

I think he's looking healthier than he has all year. Sure, he looks winded, but he hasn't looked this explosive. He is actually rising up for his shots--it's his release that has been off (holding the ball a little too long on release) which will resolve itself. I'm loving the mid range game he's shown. The threes need to stop, but I honestly think they will come playoff time.

I get the feeling the entire team (except Snell, Pau, and Butler) has seen the entire season as one big, long preseason gearing up for the playoffs. I am okay with this.
2Chainz
Sixth Man
And1: 1,010

Post#1046 » by 2Chainz » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:00 pm

Did Derrick Rose never shoot 3's before he was injured?
"My wrist deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, wrist?"/My stove deserve a shout-out, I'm like "What up, stove?""
DanTown8587
RealGM
And1: 9,332

Post#1047 » by DanTown8587 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:17 pm

2Chainz wrote:Did Derrick Rose never shoot 3's before he was injured?

The problem isn't just that he's shooting threes, it's that he's shooting threes at the cost of creating more efficient offense for himself

Per 100 possessions (FG%/3pt%/TS%)
Years 1-2: 1.2 3PA vs 5.2 FTA; 17.3 PER; per 36 of 18.3 - 6.0 on .483/.242/.525
Years 3-4: 6.8 3PA vs 9.6 FTA; 23.4 PER; per 36 of 23.5 - 7.6 on .442/.326/.545
Years 6-7: 9.0 3PA vs 6.0 FTA; 14.6 PER; per 36 of 20.8-5.6 on .396/.290/.486

The problem is that this fascination with taking and shooting a lot of threes at a very low percentage means that he's not attacking to create for himself (which he needs to do to be an efficient scorer) and he's not creating for others (as noted by the decrease in assists).

Bottom line: if Derrick Rose does not shoot a lot of FT then he will never be a consistent and efficient scorer in this league. If you pair that inefficient offense with also not creating for his teammates, his on court play becomes a problem. The good news is that his issues are most likely correctable.
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,049

Post#1048 » by FriedRise » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:42 pm

Apparently Rose taking 3's is part of the plan:

"If it's a 3 that has hit the paint and come out and swung to him, those are good 3s for him," Thibodeau said. "I want him to have a blend. I don't want him to settle on any one particular thing just like I don't want him putting his head down and driving into a bunch of people when it's not there."

But then he also says, which is important:

"Sometimes you could re-pick. You could move it. He doesn't always have to settle for that. But I just want him to keep the ball moving. Run the team. Get everyone involved."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-nikola-mirotic-rotation-bits-bulls-spt-0410-20150409-story.html
Gmoney3
Bench Warmer
And1: 445

Post#1049 » by Gmoney3 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:52 pm

To me he looks faster and more of a fluid fast as well.

Earlier this year you would see him kick it up end to end pretty fast showing he had that thrust still but it was one direction. He is looking more agile with quickness right now.

There was a play yesterday where he took it from the Heat's wing 3pt area and he just exploded past multiple defenders full court and met a defender at the right side of the rim for a layup that didnt drop (I think Taj tried to grab the put back). I don't think they even scored but that was the fastest I seen Derrick in a long time.
Flopper
Veteran
And1: 2,480

Post#1050 » by Flopper » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:13 pm

FriedRise wrote:Apparently Rose taking 3's is part of the plan:

"If it's a 3 that has hit the paint and come out and swung to him, those are good 3s for him," Thibodeau said. "I want him to have a blend. I don't want him to settle on any one particular thing just like I don't want him putting his head down and driving into a bunch of people when it's not there."

But then he also says, which is important:

"Sometimes you could re-pick. You could move it. He doesn't always have to settle for that. But I just want him to keep the ball moving. Run the team. Get everyone involved."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-nikola-mirotic-rotation-bits-bulls-spt-0410-20150409-story.html

Thibs is absolutely right. The 3PA numbers have been blown out of proportion to a certain extent and Derrick needs to keep shooting the open ones within the flow of the offense. The real issue is making instinctive decisions based on court conditions rather than settling on a predetermined course of action and improving his overall shot selection. But honestly there are very few players in this league who can get the most out of every half-court possession and have near consistently good shot selection. Chris Paul is really the only guy who comes to mind that meets that criteria.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1051 » by Ice Man » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:20 pm

They were about 25% of his field-goal attempts in 2011 and 2012, when he shot a somewhat higher percentage than this year. If he cut back to 25% on his attempts, and notched his shooting % (which he presumably would by being more selective), then the complaints would dwindle.

Well that and more attempts at the rim. As Reggie Miller pointed out last night, while Derrick was not taking as many 3s, he still was taking quite a few longish jump shots.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,064

Post#1052 » by MrSparkle » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:22 pm

Rose's 3P jumpshot has a weird hitch in it.

But I gotta be honest, more often than not, I'd rather see him shoot the open 3P as opposed to driving into traffic like he used to.
WindyCityBorn
RealGM
And1: 10,774

Post#1053 » by WindyCityBorn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:26 pm

Yes, but they were more opportunistic shots than a core component of his game. Right it seems like when he shoots 3's many times it was a predetermined before he even got the ball.

He needs to attack for us to win and I expect him to do that.

He looked really good physically last night. He going hard on defense and taking contact on offense without any hesitation.

I would say he looked more confident last night than he did most the season. Maybe that knee was an issue for a while.
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#1054 » by drbg43 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:39 pm

I for one really like the way Rose looks physically. He looks spry out there, has a nice bounce to his step, not like at other points in the season where he looked like he was going at 50% speed.

I'm not gonna get caught up with him shooting too much.

The fact that he looks in top physical shape and capable of playing at an elite level is all I could ask for. I still love watching him play, you da man D-Rose!
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#1055 » by gardenofsound » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:54 pm

“Just driving. I think I attacked the basket a little bit more,” Rose said. “I pushed myself to attack the rim a little bit more. And just learning how to fall — little things like that — learning how to land when you get hit and learning how to play through contact.”

“It’s good. But every game, I’m just trying to get better and push myself,” Rose said. “My last couple minutes of the game, I had a couple turnovers but it comes from just going hard and pushing myself as far as conditioning. I think I’m getting better.”

“I want to increase it,” Rose said. “But who knows? I felt like of course if you think about the playoffs, you want to increase my minutes just so that I can get used to playing them type of minutes. But like I said, it’s out of my hands. I would love to play them. But if not, I’m going to wait and take my time.”

“I was more calm, more patient,” Rose said. “I missed a lot of shots I normally hit but that comes with just playing. If anything, I feel like I’m pushing myself. So that’s the only thing that I’m concerned about.”

Holy ****, Derrick Rose is saying the right things to the press...

http://www.csnchicago.com/bulls/bulls-r ... re-minutes
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#1056 » by MC3 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:17 pm

Derrick feels good. Those are very good news.
Hachmabash
Junior
And1: 216

Post#1057 » by Hachmabash » Fri Apr 10, 2015 5:25 pm

The one thing about Rose shooting many threes, is that its somehow of Thibs mantra (hear me out). He preaches to keep doing what you do, through ups and downs. And Rose has been getting better at shooting threes at rapid rate before the ACL injury, and shot a lot of them the last season he was healthy, as the number of his threes went up every season he played. More so, being injured for 2 years, all he could do is shoot I would say, and I think he said that as well. And after he practiced hundreds or thousands of hours shooting the ball, he doesnt want to go back and stop shooting it. And it would be the Thibs mantra that keeps telling him to do so, "you have trained them enough, they are bound to come, just keep going".
That is why I believe he is shooting them at the rate he is, because he wants to overcome it as he believes he has the practice to back it up. And Thibs may believe in this too.
Just my two cents.
Payt10
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 9,200

Post#1058 » by Payt10 » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:36 pm

Why does Derrick need to take ANY 3's? I don't care if they are wide open or not. He's shooting 28%!!! Does Rajon Rondo take the ones that are wide open to him? No. Because he knows he's a terrible shooter.

I would absolutely love it if Rose just stopped taking 3's all together because they aren't doing anything but hurting the team. It's not keeping the defense honest because they are actively giving him the shot. All it's doing is ruining his FG% and keeping him away from being an efficient player. He'd be shooting 7/15 these last two games if it weren't for his 3's. That's about where he needs to be.
"All I want to do is grab somebody and bang nowadays" -Brad Miller
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#1059 » by Ice Man » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:40 pm

Payt10 wrote:Why does Derrick need to take ANY 3's? I don't care if they are wide open or not. He's shooting 28%!!! Does Rajon Rondo take the ones that are wide open to him?

Nor does Taj, Jo, or many other NBA players. There's no NBA rule requiring a player to take a long open shot.
riprose
Pro Prospect
And1: 248

Post#1060 » by riprose » Fri Apr 10, 2015 6:41 pm

the dunk he put... it seems that his vertical jump is way lower than pre-injury.. he barely dunked it.. hopefully it's just my feeling...

Return to Chicago Bulls