Image ImageImage Image

Zach Lowe article: Everyone should Fear the Return of Old-School Derrick Rose

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

3Diamantidis
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,301

Re: Zach Lowe article: Everyone should Fear the Return of Old-School Derrick Rose 

Post#21 » by 3Diamantidis » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:40 pm

Rose > all the other scoring point guards in the league if healthy
Also Rose is the most exciting player to watch.
Above LBJ, KD or JH.
I don't think that you have to be a bulls fan to love this guy.
the ultimates
Analyst
And1: 1,615

Re: Re: Zach Lowe article: Everyone should Fear the Return of Old-School Derrick Rose 

Post#22 » by the ultimates » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:49 pm

babblin-on wrote:
Rerisen wrote:
There were playing time edicts, a mysterious yoga instructor who suddenly had a ton of say-so over playing time

:)

Kirk Hinrich is back to ruin everything.

:lol:

The Jen Swanson yoga instructor thing smacks of more than a little bit of sexism. The woman has a doctorate in physical therapy from Duke and she has certifications in Orthopedics and strength and conditioning

I don't think it was sexist, I think he would have written the same thing or something similar if a guy was in that position. I do find it strange that Lowe who comes off as part of the analytics crowd would criticize a team for doing something sensible with minute limits from players coming off of surgery in Rose and Noah. I don't want to derail the thread but nobody has ever made a sensible argument that what the Bulls have Swanson do is wrong and so detrimental to the team.
Losing to get high draft picks and hoping they turn into franchise players is not some next level, genius move. That's what teams want to happen in any rebuild/tank or whatever you want to market it as.
Ron Johnson
Bench Warmer
And1: 172

Re: Zach Lowe article: Everyone should Fear the Return of Old-School Derrick Rose 

Post#23 » by Ron Johnson » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:06 pm

How do you take from the article that he is talking about Swanson? She's not a yoga instructor; she's a PHD.
Bulls fan in Mexico.
babblin-on
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Re: Re: Zach Lowe article: Everyone should Fear the Return of Old-School Derrick Rose 

Post#24 » by babblin-on » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:12 pm

Ron Johnson wrote:How do you take from the article that he is talking about Swanson? She's not a yoga instructor; she's a PHD.

Right, that is why I find calling her a yoga instructor problematic, and I mean, who else would he be writing of besides Jen?
achimho
Junior
And1: 344

Post#25 » by achimho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:35 pm

Very good read indeed, completely agree with it.

Hate to read Thibs probably gone.

Roses threes are problematic because he often takes the ball over midcourt with some speed, stops on a dime and has no balance while shooting. Yes, most of them are not heavily contested threes but Rose being off-balance makes him shoot it worse than a contested spot up three.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#26 » by kingkirk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:46 pm

babblin-on wrote:The Jen Swanson yoga instructor thing smacks of more than a little bit of sexism. The woman has a doctorate in physical therapy from Duke and she has certifications in Orthopedics and strength and conditioning

Agreed. I find it disrespectful and ignorant to simply label her as a yoga instructor or whatever. It's condescending.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#27 » by Axl Rose » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:08 pm

Rerisen wrote:https://storytimewithjohn.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/nodding-bale-gif.gif

I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
BoocheeMan1117
Pro Prospect
And1: 262

Post#28 » by BoocheeMan1117 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:17 pm

RememberLu wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:To a certain extent, the bad shot selection stuff with Derrick gets overblown. ALL superstar players take bad shots, but that's what makes them stars. They are able to make those bad shots, where as the average nba player is not. Steph Curry last night took 19 three's.That is just absurd. And half of those were just terrible decision, but yet no one blinks because he's an MVP caliber player.

Steph also gets a lot more benefit of doubt since he's one of the league's best shooters

Westbrook, Kobe, and Monta Ellis are better comparisons for stars not going for lay-ups every possession.
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,727

Post#29 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:52 pm

Nice article. It seems the whole world is in agreement on the "too much Noah and Gasol on the court at the same time" shtick. The offense bogs down WAY too much with them both clogging the lane. Noah's jumper has disappeared and he can't finish at the rim very well anymore, which will cause the Bulls to play four against five in crunch-time against Cleveland. It was the same conundrum for Pop last year's Finals, but he had the guts to switch out Splitter for Diaw in the starting lineup, and the rest is history.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,265

Post#30 » by kodo » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:53 pm

He misses Mirotic as much as the rest of us.

In the example he shows, look at the spacing Butler gets because Milwaukee has to help D on Mirotic so far away from the paint.

Easy 2 points created by Mirotic, but no boxscore stats will go to him. But he helped Butler get an easy layup.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#31 » by MC3 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:10 am

kodo wrote:He misses Mirotic as much as the rest of us.

In the example he shows, look at the spacing Butler gets because Milwaukee has to help D on Mirotic so far away from the paint.

Easy 2 points created by Mirotic, but no boxscore stats will go to him. But he helped Butler get an easy layup.

yh, but in that game in game thread I read Mirotic is not difference maker and playing bad. :roll:
Jahensle
Veteran
And1: 363

Post#32 » by Jahensle » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:17 am

It's not a PHD, its a DPT. A clinical doctorate in physical therapy. I'm starting mine this fall at the University of South Carolina. It's difficult to get into and calling her a yoga instructor is a bit of a slap in the face to everyone in the field. On a side note, the fact that she completed it at Duke simply means she twice as much as the average student. PT programs are very hard to get into but slightly different from med school in how the name affects you post graduation. I was also accepted there but unfortunately had to decline when I learned they only offer two partial scholarships per incoming cohort.

edit, i think a lot of her success has to do with some of the internships she did to break into the sports sides of things. She def. knows her stuff, probably great for the Bulls long term.
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,949

Post#33 » by Axl Rose » Sat Apr 25, 2015 12:35 am

him calling her a yoga instructor is a wise crack...cmon yall
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#34 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:13 am

Zeb wrote:
Kirk Hinrich is back to ruin everything.

:lol:

dead
BeatDaCavs420
RealGM
And1: 22,483

Post#35 » by BeatDaCavs420 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:15 am

Mark K wrote:
babblin-on wrote:The Jen Swanson yoga instructor thing smacks of more than a little bit of sexism. The woman has a doctorate in physical therapy from Duke and she has certifications in Orthopedics and strength and conditioning

Agreed. I find it disrespectful and ignorant to simply label her as a yoga instructor or whatever. It's condescending.

Yeah no need for that
DaBulls82
Head Coach
And1: 868

Post#36 » by DaBulls82 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:16 am

Things are starting to feel kinda good and it scares me.
14 years is a nice run but it's time to end the Paxson era.

ImageImageImage
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#37 » by Rerisen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:19 am

babblin-on wrote:
Ron Johnson wrote:How do you take from the article that he is talking about Swanson? She's not a yoga instructor; she's a PHD.

Right, that is why I find calling her a yoga instructor problematic, and I mean, who else would he be writing of besides Jen?

It goes back to Lowe and Simmons discussing the Thibs/FO situation early in the year on a podcast. It came out at the time from them as more of a WTF bizarrity of the situation - "the bulls brought in a special person to manage minutes for Thibs" - than it did as a slam on Jen because she's a female.

But that context doesn't come through in the article and Zach probably should have changed the wording. The Bulls internal dysfunctions can seem a bit comic unfortunately.
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#38 » by drbg43 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:36 am

DaBulls82 wrote:Things are starting to feel kinda good and it scares me.

agreed.
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#39 » by drbg43 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 3:40 am

All we can ask for, after so much trauma, is to see these guys give one honest go of it.

Amen Zach Lowe, amen.

Now stop jynxing it! :banghead:
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#40 » by nrockwaychicago » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:02 am

BeatDaCavs420 wrote:
Mark K wrote:

Yeah no need for that

glad a number of people are touching on this. i wanted to stop reading the article there. swanson is the most qualified "director of sports performance" the bulls have ever had (at least in my lifetime)

Return to Chicago Bulls