Image ImageImage Image

Stacy King on Thibs from CSN

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Re: Stacy King on Thibs from CSN 

Post#321 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri May 22, 2015 8:34 pm

The mea culpa sit down might just go something like this... "Tom, we owe you $9 mil... you shouldn't have any trouble finding a new job.. How about we give you $3 million, you walk away, take a new job. Give yourself a raise and get a nice little $3 million annuity for your time here."

yeah, Thibs would likely be quite agreeable to something like this and the FO would gladly pay $3 mil to make the issue quietly go away and they can firestorm the media with all the feel good stuff about the new coach, the Mayor and then we have the draft.. it's likely Thibs will be a distant memory soon enough.

or, maybe Stacy King is right and Thibs and Gar come to an understanding and he coaches out his contract, or at least next season.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
stepbackjftw
Pro Prospect
And1: 590

Post#322 » by stepbackjftw » Fri May 22, 2015 8:54 pm

my god, if this **** coach is back next year :upset: :upset: :upset: :upset:
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#323 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:45 pm

If a change is not made and a new coach is not in place prior to the draft, I don't think one will be made.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#324 » by MC3 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:50 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:If a change is not made and a new coach is not in place prior to the draft, I don't think one will be made.

Thibs was interview by Bulls at June 2, and he offically become Bulls coach at June 23, 2010. Vinny become Bulls coach at June 9, 2008. Long month ahead of us.
johnnyvann840
RealGM

Post#325 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri May 22, 2015 10:56 pm

MC3 wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:If a change is not made and a new coach is not in place prior to the draft, I don't think one will be made.

Thibs was interview by Bulls at June 2, and he offically become Bulls coach at June 23, 2010. Month ahead of us.

June 2nd is in a week and we don't have a vacancy yet. VDN was canned on May 2nd of that year. Six days after the Bulls were eliminated.. So if the axe falls, it is going to fall BEFORE the draft, IMO.. and very soon for the actual departure of Thibs. Bulls were eliminated 8 days ago now. The situation was similar with reports of VDN being a lame duck as early as December of that season. They didn't wait long.. but VDN also was owed only $2 million as opposed to almost $10M.
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,399

Post#326 » by fleet » Sat May 23, 2015 5:46 pm

DuckIII wrote:
fleet wrote:
Susan wrote:
You think JR is going to pay Thibs to leave? You think Thibs' stubborn ass is going to leave to do this front office a favor? Thibs can go if he wants to, JR ain't paying 9 million for Thibs to leave.

1, Thibs has to like who the Bulls want to trade with.
2, The Bulls will like anybody they can find.

If interest in Thibs is not that hot, and the only trade partner that wants him is not agreeable to Thibs, (He has to agree or nobody will make the trade), then Tom Thibaaaa is your 2015-16 Bulls coach.

Except for the part where they just fire him.

I've probably taken a losing position on this, given the latest rumblings. Sig me a good one. My sig can say I lack anything more than rudimentary basketball knowledge and minimal common sense, which happens to be true.
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,264

Post#327 » by kodo » Sat May 23, 2015 6:42 pm

That sounds about right.

It can go a little longer, Brad Stevens was another college coach making the switch and that wasn't officially completed til July 4th.

If there is a trade, that may also go longer. Jason Kidd's trade didn't complete til July 2nd.
pb-ceo
Analyst
And1: 830

Post#328 » by pb-ceo » Sat May 23, 2015 7:46 pm

told yahh tbibs was not going to go without collecting every cent the bulls owe him. nobody is going to pay the bulls a draft choice for him. the bulls FO brought this on themselves by alienating one of the top 5 coaches in the association. thibs: "Fire Me suckas".
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#329 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:49 pm

pb-ceo wrote:told yahh tbibs was not going to go without collecting every cent the bulls owe him. nobody is going to pay the bulls a draft choice for him. the bulls FO brought this on themselves by alienating one of the top 5 coaches in the association. thibs: "Fire Me suckas".

Well nothing stopped them or most teams before from firing their past coaches before their contracts were done
pb-ceo
Analyst

Post#330 » by pb-ceo » Sat May 23, 2015 7:49 pm

there is no way they move forward with thibs. the situaion is Too toxic. zero chance he comes back imo. the reason he hasn't been fired is they are still hoping they don't have to eat that $10m. fat chance. bulls FO is amateur hour.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#331 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat May 23, 2015 7:50 pm

pb-ceo wrote:

there is no way they move forward with thibs. the situaion is Too toxic. zero chance he comes back imo. the reason he hasn't been fired is they are still hoping they don't have to eat that $10m. fat chance. bulls FO is amateur hour.

Well that and the NBA is cracking down on trading coaches
pb-ceo
Analyst

Post#332 » by pb-ceo » Sat May 23, 2015 7:52 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:
pb-ceo wrote:told yahh tbibs was not going to go without collecting every cent the bulls owe him. nobody is going to pay the bulls a draft choice for him. the bulls FO brought this on themselves by alienating one of the top 5 coaches in the association. thibs: "Fire Me suckas".

Well nothing stopped them before from firing their past coaches before their contracts were done

true. but they were hoping that thibs stature would lead to a team offering a trade for him. no chance of that because thibs has to agree to it. trades for coaches are exceedingly rare and it won't happen here. thibs will take $10m, do some tv work at NBA TV and bide his time till his next opportunity shows up the following season. the pause that refreshes. that's what you can do when you are a top 5 coach that gets canned with 3 years left on your deal.
babblin-on
Bench Warmer
And1: 219

Post#333 » by babblin-on » Sat May 23, 2015 8:16 pm

fleet wrote:
DuckIII wrote:
fleet wrote:1, Thibs has to like who the Bulls want to trade with.
2, The Bulls will like anybody they can find.

If interest in Thibs is not that hot, and the only trade partner that wants him is not agreeable to Thibs, (He has to agree or nobody will make the trade), then Tom Thibaaaa is your 2015-16 Bulls coach.

Except for the part where they just fire him.

I've probably taken a losing position on this, given the latest rumblings. Sig me a good one. My sig can say I lack anything more than rudimentary basketball knowledge and minimal common sense, which happens to be true.

As much as JR may not wanna pay Thibs $9M to not coach, based on what we know of Thibs, it seems he would be even moreso loathe to not coach basketball for a year. I'm not so sure he wouldn't be the one to blink first.
I can accept failure, everyone fails at something. But I can't accept not trying.

- Michael Jordan
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#334 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 24, 2015 2:51 pm

What needs to happen:

1. Thibs and FO talk to each other..like adults
2. They agree to bring in an offensive minded assistant coach and Thibs needs to let him design the offense.
3. They agree that McD has to get some minutes early in the season. Not because he has shown anything. Simply so the front office can determine what to do with him.
4. Thibs agrees to play Gasol and Noah less minutes together, and less minutes overall, and makes Mirotic more a focal point of the offense.
5. The front office makes a move to provide a more athletic and competent 3. MDJ either goes back to the bench (my preference, as i have no expectation of consistency from Snell) or simply goes away. I think Taj and pieces (Snell?) will have to go to accomplish this.
6. Generally, the FO plugs the hole created by the Melo sweepstakes, and Thibs begins to understand that the Bulls would rather take a chance on a new approach to the personnel, even if it doesn't work, than have yet another early exit from the playoffs doing what he has been doing.

What will likely happen:
1. I have no idea. It seems more and more likely that Thibs will stay with each day that passes. But whether any of the other things come to pass is totally up in the air.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#335 » by Chi town » Sun May 24, 2015 2:56 pm

Stratmaster wrote:What needs to happen:

2. They agree to bring in an offensive minded assistant coach and Thibs needs to let him design the offense.
3. They agree that McD has to get some minutes early in the season. Not because he has shown anything. Simply so the front office can determine what to do with him.
4. Thibs agrees to play Gasol and Noah less minutes together, and less minutes overall, and makes Mirotic more a focal point of the offense.
5. The front office makes a move to provide a more athletic and competent 3. MDJ either goes back to the bench (my preference, as i have no expectation of consistency from Snell) or simply goes away. I think Taj and pieces (Snell?) will have to go to accomplish this.
6. Generally, the FO plugs the hole created by the Melo sweepstakes, and Thibs begins to understand that the Bulls would rather take a chance on a new approach to the personnel, even if it doesn't work, than have yet another early exit from the playoffs doing what he has been doing.

What will likely happen:
1. I have no idea. It seems more and more likely that Thibs will stay with each day that passes. But whether any of the other things come to pass is totally up in the air.

We all know none of that will happen.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Post#336 » by Stratmaster » Sun May 24, 2015 3:02 pm

Chi town wrote:

What will likely happen:

We all know none of that will happen.

I agree it is highly unlikely. I guess I still can't believe that grown men who have been professionals in their industry for decades can't come to terms on what is best for the team, so in that respect I am still naive and expecting something positive to come from the two sides; whether that be a mutually beneficial way to part company or agreement on how to move forward.

I am really regretting now that McD didn't see the court a lot more. I am afraid that the Bulls will be less aggressive to address #5 above because of that. especially if Hoiberg is really coming.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#337 » by Chi town » Sun May 24, 2015 3:09 pm

I'd like to see the 3 addressed by a vet and combo guard ala Lin where Jimmy plays the 3 if snell and Doug suck for a longtime.
BullsGate
Head Coach
And1: 1,078

Post#338 » by BullsGate » Sun May 24, 2015 4:17 pm

If thibs still coaching bulls next season... I'm not gonna watch any bulls games. Why bother? Same ****, Same results.
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#339 » by SpinninHouse » Sun May 24, 2015 6:55 pm

bullslas wrote:
CB4L wrote:
bullslas wrote:Thibs is not a top 10 coach and the league is catching up to that fact. Bulls fans knew this at the end of last year, but all we heard was how great they played in the regular season, without Rose.

If the Bulls were in the West those 2 seasons, they wouldn't of been a playoff team, and Thibs wouldn't of looked so great. Fact remains, the East has been very weak the last few years and Thibs benefited from that.

I hope he takes the NO gig. He won't get it, as they are probably a bit cautious with the injuries to Davis, and how Thibs would run him into the ground no matter what. Thibs, will take the Orlando job and he will improve them as any coach would do.

As much as ppl will point out Thibs' s flaws, to say he is not even a top 10 coach in the NBA is taking it too far imo. How many coaches can do what he did the past few seasons without a full roster and guys off the scrap heap? Not many. Imo he has flaws but nonetheless he is a top 5 coach at the very least due to what he brings out of his players, many who have enjoyed career years with Thibs as the coach. Yes the players work hard, but at least give the guy some credit where it is due

How can you say he's a top 5 coach? It's not even close. Thibs lovers will never let it go. He was in a very very bad Eastern Conference. The playoffs showed what kind of coach he was. He had one good series against Brooklyn. That's it. The Bulls could've lost to the Bucks if the Bucks had a bit more talent.

Thibs is not a top 5 coach, not top 10 either. If he can't even manage minutes properly and if players are running to management complaining, and management has to hire a special trainer just to restrict minutes, how in the world can you call him top 5. A coach who didn't play his bench? A coach who made 0 adjustments in the playoffs? A coach who is too stubborn and thinks he's better than what he really is?

Thibs will fail in his next job, and he will be an assistant for the rest of his career. If he goes to NO, he will fail big time. If he goes to Orlando, he will have some good years in a weak Eastern Conference, and eventually get fired, after he overplays everyone and losses in the first round. Orlando is the best job for Thibs, but word now is coming out, they don't want Thibs either. It sounds like NO and Orlando, no longer really want Thibs. Wonder why? He's not a top 10 coach.

I can't understand how anybody could possibly say Thibs is a top-5 coach after what we saw this year.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
WinCity
Banned User
And1: 1,688

Post#340 » by WinCity » Sun May 24, 2015 7:48 pm

The FO already spoke to Thibs about this, and he said no. Frankly, between this and Thibs willful ignorance of medical science regarding minutes and injuries my opinion of Thibs has plummeted. He seems like a pig headed fool with an outdated way of thinking about the NBA game.

I agree with everything you said in spirit, but IMO its clear Thibs has no place being HC of the Bulls, maybe not a HC at all but thats every other teams issue to decide.

Return to Chicago Bulls