Image ImageImage Image

Tony Snell our future SF?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Shill
RealGM
And1: 5,928

Post#61 » by Shill » Fri May 22, 2015 4:54 am

I think Snell is going to be a solid rotation player. He has the size, athleticism, skill, and work ethic to be a contributor. His main problem is he isn't a natural alpha dog like Jimmy Butler. He's going to have to work on his confidence, and he'll need the right coach to pull that out of him.

A lot of guys flame out because they just can't handle the pressure. If Snell busts, it won't be because of a lack of skill or laziness.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Dan Z
RealGM
And1: 7,233

Re: Tony Snell our future SF? 

Post#62 » by Dan Z » Fri May 22, 2015 5:13 am

Tony Snell is the next Latrell Spreewell. Just buy him a boat.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#63 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 am

Dan Z wrote:Tony Snell is the next Latrell Spreewell. Just buy him a boat.

Hoiberg better wear neck protection then.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#64 » by kingkirk » Fri May 22, 2015 5:31 am

I like to think this thread was created to strictly piss off Rerisen. I'm ok with that.
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#65 » by ralphisBullsFan » Fri May 22, 2015 5:33 am

the starting small forward position goes 6 ways....
1. Beg MDJ to stay and take the Vet min(not likely)
2. Snell
3. Doug
4. If we trade Gibson and get a better wing then Snell or Doug
5. Random Vet min Wing
6. IF thibs is still the coach and MDJ leaves, thibs will start kirk at the 2 and move jimmy to the 3
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#66 » by Ralphb07 » Fri May 22, 2015 11:20 am

Rerisen wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Unless we trade for a stud SF, I'd be shocked if Doug McDermott isn't starting.

Wait, are you talking about next year or in 3 years?

I'd be shocked if he DID start, short of some kind of supernova summer league or pre-season.

If we stay as is with the roster with, yes I think the chance is very good that they start him with the new coach. Does that mean he gets starters minutes, of it doesn't.

A lot of good can happen by placing Doug with the starters and he is our best shooter and both Rose and Butler can make him better by hitting shots. Let's remember that Thibs is most likely gone, so this whole not play young guys will no longer exist
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#67 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 11:50 am

Ralphb07 wrote:so this whole not play young guys will no longer exist

But the whole 'play guys who don't suck' will still exist.

And I'm not saying Doug is destined to keep sucking, but if he does, plays no better than last year, no one should expect any coach to gift him 20 minutes a game or something.
Ralphb07
RealGM
And1: 5,955

Post#68 » by Ralphb07 » Fri May 22, 2015 12:04 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:so this whole not play young guys will no longer exist

But the whole 'play guys who don't suck' will still exist.

And I'm not saying Doug is destined to keep sucking, but if he does, plays no better than last year, no one should expect any coach to gift him 20 minutes a game or something.

Its too early in the off season to really get into it. But I think we see a good amount of improvement in him under the new coach. It's easy to say he sucked this year but he never played significant enough minutes.

Let's revisit it after we make our moves, but I bet if we make no significant wing moves that in summer league we're hearing people talk about him getting the chance to start and once training camp gets closer and about to begin that we see the same reports and articles from the media about him having the upper hand at SF.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#69 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 12:25 pm

Ralphb07 wrote:Let's revisit it after we make our moves, but I bet if we make no significant wing moves that in summer league we're hearing people talk about him getting the chance to start and once training camp gets closer and about to begin that we see the same reports and articles from the media about him having the upper hand at SF.

It would be incredibly dangerous to go into next year with no other SF options than Snell and McDermott.

We could bring Dunleavy back for some very minimal insurance, but he is likely to be on the decline and already not up to snuff as a starter in the playoffs. And Kirk won't even be good enough for an emergency SG anymore.

No additional moves on the wing would be a sign to me of a team not serious about trying to compete.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Post#70 » by RebuildaBulls » Fri May 22, 2015 1:07 pm

Rerisen wrote:
Ralphb07 wrote:Let's revisit it after we make our moves, but I bet if we make no significant wing moves that in summer league we're hearing people talk about him getting the chance to start and once training camp gets closer and about to begin that we see the same reports and articles from the media about him having the upper hand at SF.

It would be incredibly dangerous to go into next year with no other SF options than Snell and McDermott.

We could bring Dunleavy back for some very minimal insurance, but he is likely to be on the decline and already not up to snuff as a starter in the playoffs. And Kirk won't even be good enough for an emergency SG anymore.

No additional moves on the wing would be a sign to me of a team not serious about trying to compete.

Dangerous? I wasn't a Snell believer till this season but Snell more than held his own when he started. Its when you dont play him consistent minutes like Thibs did in the playoffs you dont know what you get. Thibs has to allow players to get into their rhythm. McDermott is still a question mark but he needs playing time as back up to get him adjusted and see if he pans out or not. What Thibs did last season is not going to help him. If Dunleavy is around then good incase they dont work out. But Snell has shown he is fully capable of holding down the position
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#71 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 1:18 pm

Snell averaged 8.9 pts, 3.9 reb, and 1.5 assists as a starter at nearly 33 minutes per game. All well below league average for his position. He shot a weak 32% from three. He had an 8.3 PER.

He didn't prove a darn thing except he would be a subpar starter, and a big liability starting on a supposed title contender.
RebuildaBulls
Analyst
And1: 756

Post#72 » by RebuildaBulls » Fri May 22, 2015 1:57 pm

Rerisen wrote:Snell averaged 8.9 pts, 3.9 reb, and 1.5 assists as a starter at nearly 33 minutes per game. All well below league average for his position. He shot a weak 32% from three. He had an 8.3 PER.

He didn't prove a darn thing except he would be a subpar starter, and a big liability starting on a supposed title contender.

Hes a second year role player. When you play along with guys like Rose, Butler, Pau, Noah and Mirotic eating up all the stats you can't expect much from him other than play defense and shoot if your open. That was basically his role under Thibs
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#73 » by MC3 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:10 pm

Rerisen has this weird fetish that in Bulls you can only play if you have average of 18 points production. He found stat that average SF in this league has that production and everything under that for him its "sucks" "bust" "subpar" etc. I really argued about it with him. There is no enough shots for him to get that production with at least 3 main offensive options (Rose, Butler, Gasol) and one from the bench (Mirotic) and in regular season Brooks who will rather score than pass. Those are all guys who take majority of our shots.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#74 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 2:17 pm

RebuildaBulls wrote:
Rerisen wrote:Snell averaged 8.9 pts, 3.9 reb, and 1.5 assists as a starter at nearly 33 minutes per game. All well below league average for his position. He shot a weak 32% from three. He had an 8.3 PER.

Hes a second year role player. When you play along with guys like Rose, Butler, Pau, Noah and Mirotic eating up all the stats you can't expect much from him other than play defense and shoot if your open. That was basically his role under Thibs

We need players with more dynamism even if they don't score a lot, to actually put pressure on defenses occasionally so that Rose, Butler and Gasol can actually score more efficiently.

Right now they aren't a very great top 3 offensively, where we can just wave away 4th and 4th starters as low PER guys that don't do much else. And that's really the problem with snell, for being as tall and long as he is, he doesn't rebound, and while he can hit a gap once in a while over Dunleavy, it's not a lot more, and he rarely ever sets anyone up. He also doesn't get steals or blocks for a supposed defensive player.

His decent athleticism has no application or impact on the game, and that's one of the weaknesses of our team. He's just ... there. While he might uptick in more minutes, he also might not. We have to get at least one more wing in here that isn't a complete unknown or project.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#75 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 2:22 pm

MC3 wrote:Rerisen has this weird fetish that in Bulls you can only play if you have average of 18 points production. He found stat that average SF in this league has that production and everything under that for him its "sucks" "bust" "subpar" etc. I really argued about it with him. There is no enough shots for him to get that production with at least 3 main offensive options (Rose, Butler, Gasol) and one from the bench (Mirotic) and in regular season Brooks who will rather score than pass. Those are all guys who take majority of our shots.

I'm not talking about volume scoring! Dunleavy and Snell are below average for starting SFs in basically every single statistical category.

Rebounds
Assists
Steals
Blocks
FT Draw

Some people act like nothing else matters but if a guy can hit an open three at league average. The team needs far more talent and impact than that.

Unless you are waiting on MVP Rose to come back, which would be naive.

Snell just isn't very good. Only Bulls fans think he is good, because they are Bulls fans. If Snell was on another team and they offered us him for our 1st round pick this year, I bet the majority would say no, we'll take our chances.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#76 » by MC3 » Fri May 22, 2015 2:30 pm

Rerisen wrote:
MC3 wrote:Rerisen has this weird fetish that in Bulls you can only play if you have average of 18 points production. He found stat that average SF in this league has that production and everything under that for him its "sucks" "bust" "subpar" etc. I really argued about it with him. There is no enough shots for him to get that production with at least 3 main offensive options (Rose, Butler, Gasol) and one from the bench (Mirotic) and in regular season Brooks who will rather score than pass. Those are all guys who take majority of our shots.

I'm not talking about volume scoring! Dunleavy and Snell are below average for starting SFs in basically every single statistical category.

Rebounds
Assists
Steals
Blocks
FT Draw

Some people act like nothing else matters but if a guy can hit an open three at league average. The team needs far more talent and impact than that.

Unless you are waiting on MVP Rose to come back, which would be naive.

Snell just isn't very good. Only Bulls fans think he is good, because they are Bulls fans.

Thing is our wings are subpar cause they are not included in both offense and defense properly. Snell when he plays he rebounds fine when he plays with Rose and Butler. In defense Snell is shooting guard and Butler is small forward when rebounding comes into question. Butler is better rebounder, stronger and better athlete so he usually feasts under the basket. Snell is more guy who is on perimeter waiting for transition basket. Same goes with Dunleavy. But thing is Dunleavy can't finish transition basket. Assists? I saw from Snell progress from this when he is included in offense and has proper role instead just standin in the corner as "floor spacer". He had few nice dishes but what can you do when Noah can't finish around the basket. I agree he is subpar steal guy. Blocks? He is shooting guard in defense. I dont see many shooting guards in this league having blocks. FT draw? Again he is not included in offense and doesnt have shots. It's hard to draw FT's when you role is stand in the corner as "floor spacer". When Snell was included in offense, had proper role, and had chance to take shots and plays were made for him he was solid in everything you said.

His confidence rises as his role get bigger. His confidence goes down as his role get smaller. That's my only problem with Snell. But good coach, communicator will solve this. My problem are not stats with Snell and never will be.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#77 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 2:36 pm

MC3 wrote:When Snell was included in offense, had proper role, and had chance to take shots and plays were made for him he was solid in everything you said.

I think you are in for a letdown excusing every player on this team via Thibodeau.

The Bulls were 14th in TS% this year and it wasn't just because of our sets.

It's because we only have one primary playmaker (Rose) and only 2 go-to scorers (Rose/Butler). Pau is our 3rd volume scorer but he isn't a guy who routinely draws doubles anymore or that you can run good offense through in the post. His offensive game is mostly pick and pop at this point.

The idea that we have this great top 3 options already solved and everyone else can be a bit player on offense is faulty. Just because you have 3 guys producing volume scoring doesn't mean a great offense is achieved merely by adding one dimensional shooters.

Bulls need another perimeter playmaker that can handle the ball, even initiate a pick and roll, because Butler isn't really good at that yet. Getting his teammates shots. Is that Snell or McBuckets? I haven't seen any evidence it is.

They could also use another player, and this guy could be off the bench, that can get his own shot, but it can't be someone like Brooks that has some huge liability to the point you can use him in the playoffs. Rather a Jamal Crawford, Patty Mills, or JR Smith type, or a new combo guard to replace Hinrich.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#78 » by Chi town » Fri May 22, 2015 2:38 pm

RSP83 wrote:I can see him become one of them 3&D role players on championship caliber teams like Shane Battier for the Heat, Danny Green for the Spurs, Trevor Ariza for the Lakers, DeShawn Stevenson for Mavs. He certainly has the physical tools and the skills. For him I think it's all about confidence and playing a defined role. People shouldn't put too much stock on his ability to create despite he's showed flashes of solid handles and passes. He's limited in shot creation ability because I just don't think he has the creativity, at least not at this point where he's been very conservative with his decisions (probably afraid of making mistakes and get yanked out the rotation). And that is fine for me, because with Rose, Mirotic, Butler, and Gasol all we need from Snell is really to become the 5th man that hits the open shot on offense, and strengthen our perimeter defense with his length and athleticism. Especially on defense, I cannot stand watching old and slow Mike Dunleavy chasing guys like JR Smith, Shumpert, sometime Lebron James. No question, that should be Snell's responsibility next season next to Butler.

Snell could be Ariza but he needs more of a mid range game. W mins Snell will play w more confidence and more intensity. I expect his rebounding numbers to go up. If he gets stronger he could really become a big asset defensively next to Jimmy due to his length.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by Rerisen » Fri May 22, 2015 2:41 pm

Chi town wrote: If he gets stronger he could really become a big asset defensively next to Jimmy due to his length.

Snell and McDoug both need a whole summer of hitting the weight room, protein shakes and HGH.
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,005

Post#80 » by Chi town » Fri May 22, 2015 2:44 pm

Mark K wrote:I like to think this thread was created to strictly piss off Rerisen. I'm ok with that.

So am I. :)

Return to Chicago Bulls