Image ImageImage Image

Magic to Hire Skiles. Or maybe not?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Re: Orlando Coaching Search: You're kidding right? 

Post#61 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat May 23, 2015 10:43 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
Gar Paxdorf wrote:I'm confused as to why anyone thinks the Magic have a talented young roster. I think that talent kinda sucks.

Buy a TV and then buy the NBA package or steal it. Orlando has some of the best young talent in the NBA and once they learn how to play with and use it, they're going to be very good and very quickly, especially in a bad East.

Victor Oladipo, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Gordon, Nickola Vucevic, Tobia Harris, Mo Harkless, Evan Fournier and the #5 pick this year, they'll be just fine and very attractive to a coach. Their GM is doing a nice job after inheriting complete garbage.

Just curious, why do you think their talent "kinda sucks"? And who is good then for a young roster?

Orlando could be next year's Milwaukee. They could use a tough vet like Taj or Joakim to guide the young pups and bring a culture of winning ala what Antonio Davis did for the Bulls once upon a time.
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
unknownnewbie
General Manager
And1: 1,294

Post#62 » by unknownnewbie » Sat May 23, 2015 10:58 pm

Skiles would be a good coach for the Magic, which have a lot of talented young guys who need someone who will make them play better defense without strangling them on offense.

And Orlando doesn't have to give any other team any compensation for hiring Skiles. I wouldn't be surprised if the Bulls are asking for way too much compensation in return for releasing Thibs from his contract. And teams aren't biting.
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,075

Post#63 » by MrSparkle » Sat May 23, 2015 11:09 pm

Hard to hype Orlando. It's a process for them. Only way they become a threat anytime soon is if they consolidate the #5 pick and some players for an all-star or 2. If they keep the pick, that player isn't gonna contribute for years.

Hell, it's gonna be a process for NOP, and they've got a superstar plus several somewhat established players. 2nd round would be a reach for the Magic with Skiles, and they'd only get it if they played Chicago in the 1st. :lol:

I can see Thibs pushing them further, but they're a fringe playoff candidate, not a threat to anybody... (besides Chicago, who seem to get pushed to the limits by younger, worse teams)
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#64 » by ADDinChicago » Sat May 23, 2015 11:19 pm

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
Gar Paxdorf wrote:I'm confused as to why anyone thinks the Magic have a talented young roster. I think that talent kinda sucks.

Buy a TV and then buy the NBA package or steal it. Orlando has some of the best young talent in the NBA and once they learn how to play with and use it, they're going to be very good and very quickly, especially in a bad East.

Victor Oladipo, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Gordon, Nickola Vucevic, Tobia Harris, Mo Harkless, Evan Fournier and the #5 pick this year, they'll be just fine and very attractive to a coach. Their GM is doing a nice job after inheriting complete garbage.

Just curious, why do you think their talent "kinda sucks"? And who is good then for a young roster?

Orlando could be next year's Milwaukee. They could use a tough vet like Taj or Joakim to guide the young pups and bring a culture of winning ala what Antonio Davis did for the Bulls once upon a time.

I agree, except they are pretty set at those positions. I think you're going to have to get a team like Sacramento to bite on Taj. One that can't seem to get their 4 right (they can't get the 1 or 2 right either) and a team that thinks they're close to not contending, but making the playoffs. I'd say Phoenix, but they seem set. I don't think you're trading Jo because of the money, his age, his knees, etc. and teams knowing what he is. Also, I don't think Pax is really going to shop him.
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#65 » by nrockwaychicago » Sat May 23, 2015 11:21 pm

this thread almost makes it seem like skiles is a better coach than thibs.

i don't think even scott skiles believes that.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#66 » by ADDinChicago » Sat May 23, 2015 11:23 pm

nrockwaychicago wrote:this thread almost makes it seem like skiles is a better coach than thibs.

He's better in the playoffs. Yeah, I went there.
nrockwaychicago
Pro Prospect
And1: 719

Post#67 » by nrockwaychicago » Sat May 23, 2015 11:27 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
nrockwaychicago wrote:this thread almost makes it seem like skiles is a better coach than thibs.

based on what? skiles has coached a lot longer than thibs and has never made it past the 2nd round.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#68 » by ADDinChicago » Sat May 23, 2015 11:31 pm

nrockwaychicago wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:

based on what? skiles has coached a lot longer than thibs and has never made it past the 2nd round.

Based on who they played and how they went out. Thibs only made one conference final and it was in the East. Both are sub .500 in the playoffs, but it's close. Give me playoff Skiles 7 days a week and twice on Sunday.
PlayerUp
Analyst
And1: 1,847

Post#69 » by PlayerUp » Sat May 23, 2015 11:52 pm

Orlando Magic are interested in all of Chicago Bulls former coaches

Too Expensive: Tom Thibodeau
Discount (30% Off): Scott Skiles
Liquidation Sale (70% Off): Vinny Del Negro
Free: Tim Floyd
WinCity
Banned User
And1: 1,688

Post#70 » by WinCity » Sat May 23, 2015 11:54 pm

The difference is marginal, but Thibs is slighly ahead. Hell, part os his edge is being a fresher face.
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#71 » by kingkirk » Sun May 24, 2015 1:34 am

DuckIII wrote:Kidding why? Skiles is a great coach for a team in that situation and a beloved former Magic.

That, and he was been the rumored front runner ever since Vaughan was canned.

Magic are clearly looking for a hard nosed guy to make an impression on their kids. If they're interested in Thibs, why not be interested in a mini version of Thibs who already has a connection with that franchise?
Mk0
RealGM
And1: 15,261

Post#72 » by Mk0 » Sun May 24, 2015 1:48 am

I don't know why people are scoffing at the notion of Skiles in Orlando.

Skiles will turn their boys into professional men. He is a fantastic A-to-B coach and that is exactly what they need.
NBA officiating bought to you by FanDuel
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,262

Post#73 » by kodo » Sun May 24, 2015 2:47 am

nrockwaychicago wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:

Neither are good playoff coaches, both are regular season coaches who specialize in getting effort out of players.

They both have almost an identical playoff win rate.
Skiles: 45.5% win rate w/ Chicago
Thibs: 45.1% win rate w/ Chicago
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#74 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 4:07 am

Mark K wrote:
DuckIII wrote:Kidding why? Skiles is a great coach for a team in that situation and a beloved former Magic.

That, and he was been the rumored front runner ever since Vaughan was canned.

Magic are clearly looking for a hard nosed guy to make an impression on their kids. If they're interested in Thibs, why not be interested in a mini version of Thibs who already has a connection with that franchise?

And is millions of dollar cheaper and doesn't have a history of clashing with management.
Susan
RealGM
And1: 7,430

Post#75 » by Susan » Sun May 24, 2015 5:21 am

TimRobbins wrote:
And is millions of dollar cheaper and doesn't have a history of clashing with management.

Well he does have a history of quitting on his teams. Not sure where that rates compared to what Thibs is going through now.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#76 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 5:33 am

Susan wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:

Well he does have a history of quitting on his teams. Not sure where that rates compared to what Thibs is going through now.

If you're a GM, I think he rates higher than Thibs, unless you're contending in which case I would rather take Thibs.
JohnnyKILLroy
RealGM
And1: 4,335

Post#77 » by JohnnyKILLroy » Sun May 24, 2015 5:40 am

We were Thibs first team he might not be as great as everyone thinks all things considered. I for one am very interested to see how his coaching career plays out.
What is happiness? It's a moment before you need more happiness.” — Don Draper
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#78 » by kingkirk » Sun May 24, 2015 6:34 am

TimRobbins wrote:And is millions of dollar cheaper and doesn't have a history of clashing with management.

Millions cheaper, and doesn't come with a cost of a draft pick.
TimRobbins
General Manager

Post#79 » by TimRobbins » Sun May 24, 2015 7:01 am

Mark K wrote:
TimRobbins wrote:And is millions of dollar cheaper and doesn't have a history of clashing with management.

Millions cheaper, and doesn't come with a cost of a draft pick.

I think the draft pick was a fantasy all along. Only a major contender would consider giving up a draft pick for a coach.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,196

Post#80 » by HomoSapien » Sun May 24, 2015 7:03 am

It'd be a good hire. They need someone who can get them to the playoffs, and Lloyd and co. know that Skiles is capable of that. If he's hired, I'd be interested in seeing if BG finally rebounds from his decline.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.

Return to Chicago Bulls