Image ImageImage Image

What was your most disappointing Bulls season?

Moderators: HomoSapien, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet

BR0D1E86
RealGM
And1: 2,292

Re: What was your most disappointing Bulls season? 

Post#41 » by BR0D1E86 » Thu May 28, 2015 7:11 pm

I started watching the Bulls in 1991. This one is probably top 2 for me with the Hue Hollins call being the other. This team was so much less than the sum of its parts, and I haven't said that about a Bulls team in quite a while.
cubbiefan009
Assistant Coach
And1: 539

Post#42 » by cubbiefan009 » Thu May 28, 2015 9:41 pm

I'd say 2011. Well, kind of. I truly thought that was the championship year. We had it all. After ECF game 1, Miami was panicking. This board was at an all time high from what I can remember. Then, 4 straight losses. Gut wrenching. Overall though the season was a big success but only disappointing because we came up short.
G I N T
Bench Warmer
And1: 202

Post#43 » by G I N T » Thu May 28, 2015 9:53 pm

I'd say 2012. To go through the entire regular season as a legitimate contender with the best record in the league to suddenly a first round exit vs. an 8th seed crap team because your superstar blew his knee out. A lot of work for nothing it felt like.

This team underachieved but I never had them as favorites to win the East.
Am2626
Analyst
And1: 1,010

Post#44 » by Am2626 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:38 am

dice wrote:does the '98 offseason count?

The 98-99 season is by far the most disappointing. Dismantling a dynasty that had at least 1 more championship in them is the most disappointing period in Bulls History.
thejet1711
Pro Prospect
And1: 242

Post#45 » by thejet1711 » Fri May 29, 2015 3:44 am

This one was bad but 2012 ending with the ACL WAS AWFUL!

with all the hype extending from 2011, we faced be lockout and prospect of missing a year of this loaded (or so we thought) squad

We did well but never started clicking thanks to derrick and luol and rip being in and out...

Funny thing is, from what I remember, that game 1 against the Sixers may have been the most complete game of the year....

Then the ACL. And technically, we are still dealing with the reverberations of 2012 to this day....

So yeah...2012.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums
Hokie
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,907

Post#46 » by Hokie » Fri May 29, 2015 3:48 am

This one, easily. I can't use any of the early 2000s teams since we weren't far removed from a dynasty and expectations were low, year in and year out. I can't really go with '08 either, because while that team was a massive disappointment, I never felt like they had championship potential.

This one was awful. We didn't play hard in half our games, Rose was on and off (more off than on), Thibs drama was a never-ending topic, but most importantly, this team had its best shot at making the Finals since Jordan and blew it. LeBron was bricking everything, Love was out, Irving was playing on one leg, we were healthy for once, and we still couldn't win. We had a comfortable lead going into the 4th of game 4 but went into Rose/Butler ISO mode and put on a pathetic display of 4th quarter basketball. The entire complexion of that series changes if we don't blow game 4.

2013-2014 is a close second for me too. Rose got hurt ten games into his return, and the team made a big mistake in not tanking the season. The good ol' try-hard Bulls wasted an opportunity to get a lottery pick in a loaded draft just so they could win some regular season games and get embarrassed in the 1st round. We went on to use two picks on Doug McDermott (who is a role player at best) when we had a chance to jump into a lottery in a mega draft. Just an awful year, all in all.

Things have been brutal since Rose originally tore his ACL, but at least the 12-13 team was fun to watch. And no, I'm not new to being a Bulls fan since I'm choosing our two most recent seasons. I just feel like the last two years have been horrid. Here's to hoping the Hoiberg Era will bring in better times.
KornelDavid'sJ wrote:What I like best about Boozer is that someday he'll retire.
TodayisLegsDay
Freshman
And1: 13

Post#47 » by TodayisLegsDay » Fri May 29, 2015 5:50 am

Most Shocking Defeats
2015 @ Home vs Cavs Game 6
1995 @ Magic Game 6

Every Playoff elimination lose in between we were either underdogs or the series was all but wrapped up

2015 wasn't disappointing given our injuries and rise of Butler. Un-fulfilling is my choice description. In the end losing Pau derailed the Playoff series. In a couple weeks after the Warriors pummel Lebron, we will look at the picture differently.

2012 was depressing. Knee injury + James first title
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 9,277

Post#48 » by Bulltalk » Fri May 29, 2015 2:35 pm

The 1974-75 season ranks up there for me. We should have beaten Golden State in the western conference finals. That loss at home in game 6 of the series which would have clinched it stung. That could have easily been the Bulls first championship.
"I'm a truth teller. All I do is tell the truth."

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
panthermark
RealGM
And1: 3,512

Post#49 » by panthermark » Tue Jun 2, 2015 4:40 pm

Bulltalk wrote:The 1974-75 season ranks up there for me. We should have beaten Golden State in the western conference finals. That loss at home in game 6 of the series which would have clinched it stung. That could have easily been the Bulls first championship.

Soooo......did you watch that game in black and white....or listen to it on the radio? :reporter: :biggrin:
Jealousy is a sickness.......get well soon....
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#50 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 4:52 pm

If you ask which is their most exciting years I gotta say the pre-title years, more-so Bulls under Doug Collins. Watching young MJ unleashed and ripping up the league is something I never seen up to that point. As a kid then, its what got me so hooked on basketball and the bulls
JordansBulls
RealGM
And1: 5,314

Post#51 » by JordansBulls » Tue Jun 2, 2015 5:28 pm

2012 to be honest. Best Record in the league and upgrade at SG from Bogans to Rip with a healthy Noah and Boozer and then Rose tears ACL. To me that was our best shot to win it since 1998 even more than 2011.
"Talent wins games, but teamwork and intelligence wins championships."
- Michael Jordan
HooliganPL
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#52 » by HooliganPL » Tue Jun 2, 2015 5:33 pm

This year was most disappointing, we had the best chance beat James. The team gave up after game 4 and ignored Thibs in game 6.

But we still have this which he will never have:

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioFdCt6Eva8[/youtube]
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#53 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Jun 2, 2015 5:42 pm

JordansBulls wrote:2012 to be honest. Best Record in the league and upgrade at SG from Bogans to Rip with a healthy Noah and Boozer and then Rose tears ACL. To me that was our best shot to win it since 1998 even more than 2011.

Yeah the year Rose got his ACL injury was really the year Bulls could have taken it. I thought Rose and Rip would have been a good combo and RIP could help neutralize Wade
Fastbrk4brkfast
General Manager
And1: 2,742

Post#54 » by Fastbrk4brkfast » Tue Jun 2, 2015 7:10 pm

Slightly OT but I think Thibs is the perfect guy to take over the Lakers. There are sacrifices when you hire Coach Thibodeau but the Lakers need 50 wins in a box because they can't settle for second banana in LA even while they're rebuilding. Besides, they've had pretty good luck with a Chicago castaway coach in the past.

So my question for you all is this: If Thibodeau is hired as Lakers head coach does Boozer have a heart attack? :lol:
Mr Funk
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,627

Post#55 » by Mr Funk » Tue Jun 2, 2015 7:25 pm

Bulls_Fan wrote:The worst for me was the 2000-2001 team.

Our lineup looked like this:
C-Miller/Ruffin
PF-Elton Brand/Fizer
SF-Ron Artest
SG-Ron Mercer/Fred Hoiberg
PG- Bryce Drew/Jamal Crawford/Khalid El-Amin

We won 15 games that season...15 games.

2007-2008 was by far the most disappointing season, but 2001-2002 was arguably the most alcoholic and suicidal.
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#56 » by Bulltalk » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:31 pm

panthermark wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:The 1974-75 season ranks up there for me. We should have beaten Golden State in the western conference finals. That loss at home in game 6 of the series which would have clinched it stung. That could have easily been the Bulls first championship.

Soooo......did you watch that game in black and white....or listen to it on the radio? :reporter: :biggrin:

Hey, that was the Bulls great first run as a team. I grew up as a kid in that era. We went to the playoffs 6 years in a row. We went to the conference semi-finals 5 years in a row, and the conference finals 2 years in a row, the last 2 of that stretch. We just couldn't get to the conference finals because of that Laker team with West, Wilt, Goodrich, etc.., a great team. Then we finally do and we go down to the that Bucks team with Kareem, Oscar, Dandridge, etc.., no slouch of a team either. Finally, the last year of that run, we get to the conference finals against Golden State. It was our year to get to the finals, and probably win it, as Golden State did in a sweep, I believe.

But no, we lose the last 2 games of that conference finals after being up 3-2, and that game 6 at home.

Big ouch, especially if you lived through that whole little era/run.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#57 » by League Circles » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:38 pm

The most disappointing seasons by far were 1998-99 and 99-00. Absolutely zero entertainment value whatsoever. 99-00 was a tiny bit better because of the hope that Brand and Artest brought, but the misery of 99-00 was shorter due to the lockout, so therefore they balanced.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#58 » by Bulltalk » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:41 pm

Gar Paxdorf wrote:The most disappointing seasons by far were 1998-99 and 99-00. Absolutely zero entertainment value whatsoever. 99-00 was a tiny bit better because of the hope that Brand and Artest brought, but the misery of 99-00 was shorter due to the lockout, so therefore they balanced.

Disappointing? I knew they were going to suck after MJ, Pip, and PJax were gone. We all did, didn't we? I don't consider it disappointing when a team does about what you expected of them. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,159

Post#59 » by League Circles » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:49 pm

Bulltalk wrote:
Gar Paxdorf wrote:The most disappointing seasons by far were 1998-99 and 99-00. Absolutely zero entertainment value whatsoever. 99-00 was a tiny bit better because of the hope that Brand and Artest brought, but the misery of 99-00 was shorter due to the lockout, so therefore they balanced.

Disappointing? I knew they were going to suck after MJ, Pip, and PJax were gone. We all did, didn't we? I don't consider it disappointing when a team does about what you expected of them. Maybe I'm wrong about this.

No I know what you're saying and you're not wrong, but my teams always fall way short of my predictive expectations cause I expect them to all win titles every year. But my expectations from an experience standpoint are to have fun and be entertained, and those were the only 2 years with zero entertainment to me. 07-08 was kinda close but having tyrus and noah was interesting for the future for me.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Bulltalk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#60 » by Bulltalk » Tue Jun 2, 2015 9:59 pm

Gar Paxdorf wrote:
Bulltalk wrote:

No I know what you're saying and you're not wrong, but my teams always fall way short of my predictive expectations cause I expect them to all win titles every year. But my expectations from an experience standpoint are to have fun and be entertained, and those were the only 2 years with zero entertainment to me. 07-08 was kinda close but having tyrus and noah was interesting for the future for me.

Yes, we were ugly there post-dynasty. I think I once did a statistical analysis of something like 5 years after the dynasty. We were one of the crappiest teams of the modern era given a 5 year or so run.

In my example above, I was a kid and a fan growing up following them. Those great Bulls' teams with Sloan, Van Lier, Love, Walker, etc... They vacillated between being the 2-3-4th best team throughout that 6 year run. Yet we couldn't *quite* get to the finals. It was like the basketball version of Sisyphus for that 6 year stretch.

That one year I spoke of was our chance more than any other. We had it, our trip to the finals, and a very good shot at the championship.

THAT! was real disappointment to me, the culmination of never getting there after being so close for so long.

(Donald Trump - 8/11/16)

Return to Chicago Bulls