Image ImageImage Image

The next step in Butler's evolution?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Keller61
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Re: The next step in Butler's evolution? 

Post#141 » by Keller61 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:14 am

Jahensle wrote:I'm not one to nitpick the situation but if you watch Rose in the butler highlight video from game 3 vs. the Bucks, Rose never once high fives Butler or goes to give him dabs after a nice play. He does do this for other players though. I think if there was a riff, it was mostly a passive aggressive type thing from Rose's end. That's just my gut feeling, I could obviously be 100% wrong.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/1uHYxQxh3j/[/instagram]

I don't recall there being any of these rumors when the Bulls were actually playing. It wasn't until the season was over that Bernstein decided to crank up the BS machine.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#142 » by PaKii94 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:57 am

Keller61 wrote:
Jahensle wrote:I'm not one to nitpick the situation but if you watch Rose in the butler highlight video from game 3 vs. the Bucks, Rose never once high fives Butler or goes to give him dabs after a nice play. He does do this for other players though. I think if there was a riff, it was mostly a passive aggressive type thing from Rose's end. That's just my gut feeling, I could obviously be 100% wrong.

[instagram]https://instagram.com/p/1uHYxQxh3j/[/instagram]

I don't recall there being any of these rumors when the Bulls were actually playing. It wasn't until the season was over that Bernstein decided to crank up the BS machine.

I think this must be the nail on the coffin. This is what it is behind the scenes this rift is so nonsense

------
I like that quote tho: "Every game, Ima get um"
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#143 » by bullsRlife » Fri Aug 21, 2015 4:43 am

Yeah, I never actually believed there was any animosity behind closed doors. Jimmy's the young guy, and he's a down to earth type of guy. I never believed he would try to undermine derrick, the same guy that encourages him to attack at every chance.
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#144 » by GimmeDat » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:03 am

One thing's for sure, I'm looking for more of this next season -

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpkFXAiI7mE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutSHuUONPk[/youtube]

They've yet to realize even an ounce of the potential they have in transition together.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#145 » by PaKii94 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:30 am

GimmeDat wrote:One thing's for sure, I'm looking for more of this next season -

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JpkFXAiI7mE[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nutSHuUONPk[/youtube]

They've yet to realize even an ounce of the potential they have in transition together.

Thibs offense definitely did bog down the transition opportunities a shitton. I'm excited for a more fast paced system.
kodo
RealGM
And1: 13,263

Post#146 » by kodo » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:28 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It wasn't Butler/Rose that lost us the Cleveland series imo. Game 6 aside.

Not saying it was.. just saying that the "best backcourt in the league" should be able to outplay that group by a big margin, consistently. In fact, they did. In the NBA Finals.

Not saying our backcourt is > than GS, but there wasn't much difference between how GS's backcourt performed vs Chicago's backcourt against Cleveland.

Steph + Klay: 41.8 ppg, 9.5 rpg, 8.0 apg, 3.1 spg

Rose + Jimmy: 42.7 ppg, 11.0 rpg, 9.0 apg, 3.2 spg

Obviously the huge caveat is that GS won and we didn't...but I'm more inclined to say that Rose + Jimmy is not the biggest reason why we lost that series.
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#147 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:39 pm

Our supporting players laid an egg the entire series. Rose and Butler straight up outplayed their counterparts in game 4, yet we lost because of the role players.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#148 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 6:40 pm

kodo wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:
TheSuzerain wrote:It wasn't Butler/Rose that lost us the Cleveland series imo. Game 6 aside.

Not saying it was.. just saying that the "best backcourt in the league" should be able to outplay that group by a big margin, consistently. In fact, they did. In the NBA Finals.

Not saying our backcourt is > than GS, but there wasn't much difference between how GS's backcourt performed vs Chicago's backcourt against Cleveland.

Obviously the huge caveat is that GS won and we didn't...but I'm more inclined to say that Rose + Jimmy is not the biggest reason why we lost that series.

You're looking at the wrong numbers... now look at Delly, JR and Shump vs. our guys and then vs. theirs.. the problem with our team was more defensive than it was offensive. Also, the overall numbers don't show the consistency, highs and lows, and timing, of bad defense and good play. And you aren't looking at efficiency on O for us and them either.

I think JR, Delly and Shump had a TS% of about .700 against us and and at or below .400 in the Finals.

Make no mistake, the Warriors back court defense was just superior to ours in every way. they forced TO's, disrupted flow, stopped the ball, contested shots. We didn't. We had our 2 guarding the best player on the planet most of the time and nobody else could even get in the way.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
TheSuzerain
RealGM
And1: 10,862

Post#149 » by TheSuzerain » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:15 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:
kodo wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

You're looking at the wrong numbers... now look at Delly, JR and Shump vs. our guys and then vs. theirs.. the problem with our team was more defensive than it was offensive. Also, the overall numbers don't show the consistency, highs and lows, and timing, of bad defense and good play. And you aren't looking at efficiency on O for us and them either.

I think JR, Delly and Shump had a TS% of about .700 against us and and at or below .400 in the Finals.

Make no mistake, the Warriors back court defense was just superior to ours in every way. they forced TO's, disrupted flow, stopped the ball, contested shots. We didn't. We had our 2 guarding the best player on the planet most of the time and nobody else could even get in the way.

It is highly debatable that our problem in the playoffs was more defense than offense. I'm not seeing much in support of that. We scored over 100 points once in the series.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#150 » by meekrab » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:18 pm

Cleveland only scored 100 twice. The game slows down in the playoffs.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#151 » by johnnyvann840 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 pm

TheSuzerain wrote:It is highly debatable that our problem in the playoffs was more defense than offense. I'm not seeing much in support of that. We scored over 100 points once in the series.

OK...then the Warriors won the NBA Championship because they had the best defense just as much as because they had a good offense. We didn't even beat Cleveland because we were mediocre at both offense and defense. You have to be able to get stops at critical times. That is what separates the great from the good and the good from the suck when it really matters.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#152 » by Rerisen » Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:15 pm

PaKii94 wrote:Thibs offense definitely did bog down the transition opportunities a ****. I'm excited for a more fast paced system.

When Thibs was hired he preached getting out on the break.

His half court offense should not have a single thing to do with the team failing to run or execute on fastbreak opportunities. That's on the players.
AKfanatic
RealGM
And1: 10,068

Post#153 » by AKfanatic » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Next step in Jimmy's evolution...

Singing duets with Taylor Swift?
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#154 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:13 am

Rerisen wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Thibs offense definitely did bog down the transition opportunities a ****. I'm excited for a more fast paced system.

His half court offense should not have a single thing to do with the team failing to run or execute on fastbreak opportunities. That's on the players.

Thibs also talked a lot about spacing and yet he played terrible lineups that had little to no spacing at all.

Sometimes what Thibs said didn't actually translate to his coaching onto the court.

The pace the team played at was definitely in Thibs mold. He wanted a slower pace so it wouldn't compromise the defense.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#155 » by TruthSerum » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:43 am

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Thibs also talked a lot about spacing and yet he played terrible lineups that had little to no spacing at all.

Sometimes what Thibs said didn't actually translate to his coaching onto the court.

The pace the team played at was definitely in Thibs mold. He wanted a slower pace so it wouldn't compromise the defense.

Well, it's certainly true Thibs slowed our pace to win (with defense). Especially during our most offensively deficient years of '12-13 and '13-14. But, you gotta give him credit for at least trying to speed it up with our lethargic crew last season. Hoiball can't fix personnel. Thibs said 90's jumbo lineups wouldn't work. They don't. Thibs said rookies are garbage in the playoffs. They are.

You can't fix stupid.
51st pick vs. 11th pick
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#156 » by PaKii94 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:24 am

Rerisen wrote:

HIs half court sets were quite good but he drilled them too much. Like the players have said, there wasn't much freedom in playing offense. Usually the set always took up 15-20 seconds of the shot clock trying to set it up and when our mediocre players couldn't execute, the offense stalled badly and our star players had to start putting up shots. When our mediocre players hit their shots, the offense hummed along (eg game 6 vs bucks)
FriedRise
RealGM
And1: 13,058

Post#157 » by FriedRise » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:07 pm

Next step in Butler's evolution?

Pink nails, of course! :lol:
[tweet]https://twitter.com/OnlyTheNBA/status/635251745023762432[/tweet]
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#158 » by Ice Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:14 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:The pace the team played at was definitely in Thibs mold.

If you started Boozer/Pau next to Jo, and had Mike on the wing, you'd have a crappy fast-break team that played at a slow pace too.

Will Fred do differently? We shall see. I will say this, at least in spring 2014, after the Deng trade, with a rookie Snell, with no Niko and no McDermott, Thibs had no choice at all but to play slow. Nobody could have coached that squad and done any differently. (I also don't think that last year's squad would have been well served by playing faster, but I will grant that point is up for debate.)
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#159 » by RedBulls23 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:56 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Red-Bulls83 wrote:The pace the team played at was definitely in Thibs mold.

If you started Boozer/Pau next to Jo, and had Mike on the wing, you'd have a crappy fast-break team that played at a slow pace too.

Will Fred do differently? We shall see. I will say this, at least in spring 2014, after the Deng trade, with a rookie Snell, with no Niko and no McDermott, Thibs had no choice at all but to play slow. Nobody could have coached that squad and done any differently. (I also don't think that last year's squad would have been well served by playing faster, but I will grant that point is up for debate.)

Bulls have always played at a slow pace in Thibs era. I'm not necessarily knocking him on that, but it's just a fact. Last year was the fastest we had played and yet we still finished 23rd in pace.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,592

Post#160 » by Ice Man » Mon Aug 24, 2015 4:03 pm

Red-Bulls83 wrote:Bulls have always played at a slow pace in Thibs era. I'm not necessarily knocking him on that, but it's just a fact. Last year was the fastest we had played and yet we still finished 23rd in pace.

I'd say that's on both the FO and Thibs. The FO signed two ground-bound, old school 4s as free agents, not the new school runners. The FO also signed Mike and Kirk as key roster pieces. I don't think any coach could make a squad with those guys play truly fast.

On the other hand ... yeah. Thibs made both lineup and tactics decisions that slowed the team. I won't argue with that, and I don't think anybody else would either.

Return to Chicago Bulls