Image ImageImage Image

Shot distribution and the starting line-up

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Post#1 » by sco » Fri Aug 14, 2015 1:12 pm

I was looking at shots per game, and shots taken by starters last year.

GS (I guess our model team) took 87 shots per game. Interestingly, Curry only took 16.8, Thompson 16.9, Green 9.7, Barnes 8 and Bogut 5.3, totaling 56.7.

By comparison the Bulls took 83 shots per game. Rose took 16.4 (and that was on 30 mpg), Pau took 14.8, Jimmy took 14, MDJ took 7.6 and Noah 6.4 totaling 59.2.

I couldn't find a team with 4 starters averaging 10 shots + per game. The two that came close were Atlanta and Denver.

So what can we take from this and what are implications for this year?

One thing to consider is if we move Niko or Taj into the starting PF role, either guy will be taking more shots than Noah or MDJ. What will that do to Jimmy and Pau's shots (IMO 'cause I think Rose "will want his" regardless), and is that good?

Maybe the question is more about balance and system. I will put out there that you get more from a +/- basis from having your 4th and 5 guys be defensive studs than good scorers.
:clap:
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 7,487

Re: Shot distribution and the starting line-up 

Post#2 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:36 pm

Just one of the reasons im hoping Noah can be good again; a high level garbage man is exactly what we need in a starting line up with Rose, Jimmy and Niko.
Contribute to the "Fire GarPax" billboard here:
https://www.gofundme.com/3v7fc-let-our-voices-be-heard-firegarpax
ptpablo
Bench Warmer
And1: 124

Post#3 » by ptpablo » Fri Aug 14, 2015 3:57 pm

AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Just one of the reasons im hoping Noah can be good again; a high level garbage man is exactly what we need in a starting line up with Rose, Jimmy and Niko.

I am with you. I can see Noah bouncing back and being helpful again. Pau to the bench to preserve minutes and let him slay opposing backup centers.
TruthSerum
Rookie
And1: 274

Post#4 » by TruthSerum » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:05 pm

ptpablo wrote:
AshyLarrysDiaper wrote:Just one of the reasons im hoping Noah can be good again; a high level garbage man is exactly what we need in a starting line up with Rose, Jimmy and Niko.

I am with you. I can see Noah bouncing back and being helpful again. Pau to the bench to preserve minutes and let him slay opposing backup centers.

Gasol doesn't come off the bench. Period. The man is our 2nd best player on the team (behind Jimmy). This isn't Boozer being started to protect the stupidity of GarPax. That being said, Pau may not be happy in Hoiball and the FO must be ready to trade him mid-season. Probably better than offering up Taj for a legit wing while next season has so many question marks.
51st pick vs. 11th pick
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#5 » by DarthDiggler69 » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:15 pm

Even if Pau demands a trade most teams are following the pace and space trend, only team he could fit now are the Knicks or Grizzlies with their ancient offensive styles
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#6 » by transplant » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:26 pm

I'm pretty much OK as long as Bairstow gets his.

Seriously, Rose is going to either have to be much more efficient or he's going to need to hand over some of his usage percentage points to Butler. This to me is the real battleground. Gasol will get his shots as will Mirotic. There really aren't any other high usage guys who figure to get big minutes.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#7 » by Rerisen » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:53 pm

transplant wrote:I'm pretty much OK as long as Bairstow gets his.

Seriously, Rose is going to either have to be much more efficient or he's going to need to hand over some of his usage percentage points to Butler. This to me is the real battleground. Gasol will get his shots as will Mirotic. There really aren't any other high usage guys who figure to get big minutes.

Brooks could be a factor. For several years now when our midget PG comes on the floor, he shoots more than anyone else.

It's time for that to change.
Repeat 3-peat
RealGM
And1: 14,610

Post#8 » by Repeat 3-peat » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:57 pm

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Even if Pau demands a trade most teams are following the pace and space trend, only team he could fit now are the Knicks or Grizzlies with their ancient offensive styles

if Pau was traded to Memphis(though I believe he'll be fine in the new offense) we could get a player like Lee or Green.
vxmike
Head Coach
And1: 4,012

Post#9 » by vxmike » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:13 pm

A garbage man at least needs to make dunks and layups. Noah is so useless on offense it's literally 4 on 5 so he really has no role. The Bucks exposed how you can put a floating defender on Noah and let this man disrupt the entire offense.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#10 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:44 pm

vxmike wrote:

A garbage man at least needs to make dunks and layups. Noah is so useless on offense it's literally 4 on 5 so he really has no role. The Bucks exposed how you can put a floating defender on Noah and let this man disrupt the entire offense.

Read my post again. Slower this time.
AshyLarrysDiaper
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by AshyLarrysDiaper » Fri Aug 14, 2015 10:47 pm

TruthSerum wrote:
ptpablo wrote:

Gasol doesn't come off the bench. Period. The man is our 2nd best player on the team (behind Jimmy). This isn't Boozer being started to protect the stupidity of GarPax. That being said, Pau may not be happy in Hoiball and the FO must be ready to trade him mid-season. Probably better than offering up Taj for a legit wing while next season has so many question marks.

The starting 5 isn't necessarily your five best players. See SAS. GSW and LAC.
ralphisBullsFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 430

Post#12 » by ralphisBullsFan » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:54 pm

Coach/FO: So Pau you had a great year last season, you made the all star team as a starter, were on the All NBA Second team and led the league in Double doubles. You are our best Big and most reliable scoring option. However we want you to come off the bench and "slay bums" because Mirotic NEEDS to start and can only Start if Noah starts with him.
Pau: So your saying I'm our best scoring big and one of our best scoring options period?
Coach/FO: Yes but we feel like we need Mirotic & Noah in the Starting line up because we have trouble scoring in the 1st and 3rd quarters
Pau: Please trade me, the pure ignorance in this move proves to me you are to incompetent to run an NBA team
bullsRlife
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,845

Post#13 » by bullsRlife » Fri Aug 14, 2015 11:59 pm

Whoever could dribble a basketball for more than 3 seconds got the most shots in Thibs' system. Let's see how it goes for Fred's system.
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,546

Post#14 » by PaKii94 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 am

Thib's system was the most stagnant offense you could ask for. Just even a slight improvement in the tempo would make more shots for our crew.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Post#15 » by meekrab » Sat Aug 15, 2015 12:14 am

Just some thoughts:

Pau is very unlikely to come off the bench, because you don't bench the guy who scored 17.5% of your points last season.
Noah is very unlikely to win a starting job in training camp given his history of rolling into camp out of shape after a summer of parties.
Taj is recovering and will miss most of camp.

Based on all that, your likely opening night starting lineup is Rose Butler MDJ Mirotic Pau, unless Fred sees some huge improvement from Doug or Tony. Even then, Dunleavy will probably start to capitalize on the games where he comes out on fire, but likely he'll play Bogans-style short minutes most games. This will let the young bucks get into the game and let Rose play some 2 or Butler play the 3 when appropriate.

Now, as far as shot distribution... Rose simply has to shoot less and be more efficient. If he repeats his TS% from last season, we're not winning anything. The guy has played his whole career with ... limited other scoring options. This year, he's got a HoF center, an All-NBA caliber shooting guard, three SFs who can all shoot, and a talented young 6'10" Dirk-Ginobili hybrid. If he doesn't realize he should primarily be facilitating, he needs to get off this team.
DRoseCantStop
RealGM
And1: 3,371

Re: RE: Re: Shot distribution and the starting line-up 

Post#16 » by DRoseCantStop » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:21 am

TruthSerum wrote:[quote="ptpablo"][quote="AshyLarrysDiaper"]Just one of the reasons im hoping Noah can be good again; a high level garbage man is exactly what we need in a starting line up with Rose, Jimmy and Niko.

I am with you. I can see Noah bouncing back and being helpful again. Pau to the bench to preserve minutes and let him slay opposing backup centers.[/quote]

Gasol doesn't come off the bench. Period. The man is our 2nd best player on the team (behind Jimmy). This isn't Boozer being started to protect the stupidity of GarPax. That being said, Pau may not be happy in Hoiball and the FO must be ready to trade him mid-season. Probably better than offering up Taj for a legit wing while next season has so many question marks.[/quote]
Watch him come off the bench. At his age, it makes total sense and the offense/defense balances out when you pair him with Taj in the 2nd unit.

Defense would be downright atrocious starting Niko and Gasol. I'm trusting Hoiberg to do the right thing here.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#17 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:43 am

I agree with you.

Also because Noah having a "bounce back" season could keep the defense solid and in the top 10.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Hellcrooner
Veteran
And1: 2,134

Post#18 » by Hellcrooner » Sat Aug 15, 2015 7:05 am

There are 96 minutes of frontourt to share.

Pau and Noah need to be started because of respect but a the 2 minute mark one of them needs to get replaced by taj or mirotic deppending who goes out.

30 minutes need to go to Pau.
the other three should play 22 minutes each.
Use the differente combinations in relation to what team bulls are playing against and whos playing better that night.

As for offense Butler and Pau should be the mains option, cristal clear and rose be the distributor.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,651

Post#19 » by sco » Sat Aug 15, 2015 1:16 pm

Obviously, we don't know if Fred will do man at a time subs for hockey line subs, but when Rose, Jimmy and Pau are on the floor, the fourth and fifth guys need to be effective low volume scorers. IMO, at this stage of their development, Niko and Doug don't fit the bill. I'd rather add some defense into the mix. That said, Noah's offense is INEFFECTIVE and hurts more than his defense helps with starters. Now he used to be effective enough to be useful...making lay-ups and foul shots at a decent enough clip where he could put up 20 points if teams just left him. Taj, a few years ago, fit the bill, but when he changed his game to become a 6th man type, he became too shot-happy...still, he's probably our best bet. Depending on whether you start Noah or Taj would determine if I'd go with Snell or MDJ. Mike is our most effective low volume scorer and he plays passable defense, but I'd like to see Snelly Cat out there witht he starters because he is more disruptive on defense and is good enough offensively to keep team honest (especially if he can get a little better with his streaky 3pt shot). Also, I'd like some more vet presence with bench. I'd be fine rolling with Brooks, Moore, Doug/Mike, Niko and Noah off the bench. Let Niko be the featured scorer with that group.

The only problem with that line-up is that our starters have limited 3pt ability...that's where Boylen needs to do his shot doctor thing to get Rose and Snell to be above average 3pt shooters...Jimmy is already good - maybe add a 1 or 2% to his 3pt shot.
:clap:
MrSparkle
RealGM
And1: 10,083

Post#20 » by MrSparkle » Sat Aug 15, 2015 4:54 pm

Until a trade is sorted, it honestly might make most sense to start Taj Gibson in a pseudo-Bogans role. He'd be good for 18 mpg as starting PF alongside Pau.

Similarly, Niko and Noah would be a better tandem than anything else we can offer.

Return to Chicago Bulls