Image ImageImage Image

Rose and assists next season

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

How many assists per game with Rose average for the season?

>8
5%
7-8
33%
6-7
31%
5-6
21%
<5
10%

Total votes: 39

NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,061

Re: Rose and assists next season 

Post#21 » by NecessaryEvil » Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:53 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
kodo wrote:For me it depends less on Rose and more the personnel around him.

Vs the Cavs there was one play that highlighted the futility. Rose brought the ball up past half-court, rifled a beautiful pass that caught everyone off guard to Noah under the basket with nobody around him. Layup blown. No assist...but on 29 other teams it would have been.

Attacking PGs like Rose get many of their assists by attacking the paint, drawing a big man, and then dishing to a wide open big underneath to finish. But the Bulls are the 3rd worst team in the league at scoring near the basket. Shots within 3':
28. Bulls
29. Knicks
30. Hornets

Mind numbing how any 7 footer, even an injured Jo, can be below .500, AT THE RIM. He was .492 at the rim. Taj (.621) , Pau (.608) and Niko (.633) were all pretty good finishers at the rim and had respectable TS%'s. You cannot have a 7 footer who you are running a lot thru, have a .482 TS%. You almost have to do a double take when you see that. He really sunk the team's averages inside of 3 ft.

Dude was the sole reason we lost that series. He missed a big offensive rebound in game 3 that would of gave us a chance to tie or lead, instead Tristan beats him out. Won't even mention all the times he refused to go to the rim or even look at it. I was done after he passed back to D-Rose on a 2-1 fastbreak, RIGHT UNDER THE RIM.

He was simply embarassing in the postseason overall as well as Thibs and his lack of adjustments. Not going to leave that man out either.
mj234eva
General Manager
And1: 3,570

Post#22 » by mj234eva » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:34 pm

johnnyvann840 wrote:He was .492 at the rim.

And 42% in the playoffs. :(
Michael Jordan wrote:Sometimes I wish I could be my teammates looking at that
defense. It must be nice. But it isn't nice for me.
RSCD3_
RealGM
And1: 7,276

Post#23 » by RSCD3_ » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:38 pm

Rose will get 5.7 Assists per game
Jimmy will get 4.5 Assists per game
I came here to do two things: get lost and slice **** up & I'm all out of directions.

Butler removing rearview mirror in his car as a symbol to never look back

Peja Stojakovic wrote:Jimmy butler, with no regard for human life
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#24 » by kingkirk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:07 pm

The Bulls had 2 inefficient shooting guards playing the point spot last season.

Our 'point guard' rotation was bad last season. They couldn't facilitate for ****.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#25 » by Rerisen » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:34 pm

Mark K wrote:The Bulls had 2 inefficient shooting guards playing the point spot last season.

Our 'point guard' rotation was bad last season. They couldn't facilitate for ****.

Hey now, Aaron Brooks is good at faciliating.... for Aaron Brooks.

Or did you mean Rose and Kirk? :lol:
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#26 » by musiqsoulchild » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:51 pm

Mark K wrote:The Bulls had 2 inefficient shooting guards playing the point spot last season.

With Rose, I count 3 inefficient guards Mark.
For love, not money.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#27 » by Rerisen » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:56 pm

musiqsoulchild wrote:

With Rose, I count 3 inefficient guards Mark.

Why stop there, add in E'twaun Moore (curse you Thibs he was the answer!) and its 4 inefficient guards.
Keller61
RealGM
And1: 5,041

Post#28 » by Keller61 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 9:28 pm

mj234eva wrote:

9-27 (33%) at the rim in the Cavs series :noway:
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#29 » by johnnyvann840 » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:49 pm

Keller61 wrote:
mj234eva wrote:

9-27 (33%) at the rim in the Cavs series :noway:

I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
kingkirk
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 23,765

Post#30 » by kingkirk » Wed Aug 26, 2015 11:55 pm

Rerisen wrote:Hey now, Aaron Brooks is good at faciliating.... for Aaron Brooks.

Or did you mean Rose and Kirk? :lol:

I was referring to Rose and Brooks being poor at running an offense last season but you can certainly add Kirk into the equation, even if he was more of a SG.

So, the answer is all of the above.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,589

Post#31 » by Ice Man » Thu Aug 27, 2015 12:33 am

Keller61 wrote:9-27 (33%) at the rim in the Cavs series :noway:

OK I will jump back into the lake.

Not sure where you guys are getting those stats, but on hoopdata where the latest info is for the 2013 season I see that Kirk Hinrich was 57% on the season in finishing at the rim, and even Marquis Flipping Teague was 48%. 15 polnts worse than Marquis Teague at finishing at the rim. O. M. G.
kyrv
RealGM
And1: 3,771

Post#32 » by kyrv » Thu Aug 27, 2015 5:33 pm

Rose's yearly assist predictions are perhaps the most useless stat predictions we ever do here. Rose's assists will be a function of how much he plays, how much he does the playmaking when he plays, and how much people make baskets after he passes to them.

A higher number is not necessarily 'bad' but doesn't mean that is best for the team.
Droseisthe1
Analyst
And1: 1,780

Post#33 » by Droseisthe1 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:32 am

Anything on-court related about him feels weird to talk about until some resolution to this lawsuit happens. At least for me anyways.
Kris Bryant will go down as the greatest Chicago athlete after MJ

edit 7/30/21: okay maybe not, but it was a fun ride nonetheless
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#34 » by rtblues » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:44 am

I think his assists rate, and a willingness to become that guy, will be based on whether he feels that he is still the #1 Scoring Option on the team, and if Hoiberg agrees. I guess that he still is that guy, sort of...

Right now, it's difficult to project which Rose we will see, but this is the year he either steps up and approaches former stats, or simply is last year's Rose going forward. I do believe this stretch of time not being injured or doing rehab, as well as his own mind-set being improved, having gone one year injury free, will give him the chance to do improve and play with re-gained confidence.

We saw flashes of it last year. Along with his painful "I'm a 3-pt shooter" phase and some defensive deficiencies, there was the scorching of Kyrie Irving, huge against G.S. and more. I guess one's projections for Rose this coming season will parallel one's opinion of Rose, if you like him, you project for him to improve, if you don't, well....

Trying to look at it, while staying neutral, I do think that outside of a new injury, which can happen to anyone at anytime, Rose should improve and put up better numbers across the board. What % of MVP Rose we will see is sort of the X factor here. If he stays healthy, is consistent, and has a better assist-to-turnover ratio, limits his threes, shuts people down, and can get "up" to play hard against lesser opponents, I am satisfied.

I do think that he will be a lot more at ease with Hoiberg than he was with Thibs, regardless of what he may say publicly.
That goes for the whole team actually. I gotta say, while Thibs was and is a good coach, even I grew weary of the yelling, and pacing the sidelines. If he should return to coaching he needs to turn it down a notch, sit-down and quit the in-game narration. Perhaps if he had, he may have done a better job with in-game adjustments, never his strong point.
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
CharityStripe34
General Manager
And1: 5,726

Post#35 » by CharityStripe34 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:19 pm

In 2011 and 2012 he was averaging nearly 8 assists with less offensive talent around him and a relatively slower-paced offense. If healthy and engaged, he shouldn't have a problem hitting that number (7-9 assists) with more offensive talent and a system which favors multiple options, quicker pace and cleaner looks. If Rose accepts the new scheme and embraces more of a 'floor general' role (not just lead scoring option) both he and the offense in general should look cleaner and more efficient.
"Wes, Hill, Ibaka, Allen, Nwora, Brook, Pat, Ingles, Khris are all slow-mo, injury prone ... a sandcastle waiting for playoff wave to get wrecked. A castle with no long-range archers... is destined to fall. That is all I have to say."-- FOTIS
McBulls
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#36 » by McBulls » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:04 am

kyrv wrote:Rose's yearly assist predictions are perhaps the most useless stat predictions we ever do here. Rose's assists will be a function of how much he plays, how much he does the playmaking when he plays, and how much people make baskets after he passes to them.

A higher number is not necessarily 'bad' but doesn't mean that is best for the team.

I disagree.
If I had to pick one stat that would correlate highest with team success next year, it would be PG assists per game.

For the Bulls, team-oriented PG play was simply missing last year most of the time. Hinrich at least tried, even if he failed. But Brooks and Rose were subpar at team leadership on both ends of the floor last year.

If Hoiberg convinces them to think like playmakers rather than "1st option"s, the Bulls will have a very successful year.
Rose will be surprised to find that his propensity for injury is reduced. Brooks will find his value as on the free agent market has risen, and our centers will find more time to concentrate on interior defense, rebounding and executing the pick and roll.

That said, I haven't the slightest idea what Rose will do as a playmaker next year. I hope, but realistically I'm pessimistic.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#37 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:05 am

McBulls wrote:
I disagree.
If I had to pick one stat that would correlate highest with team success next year, it would be PG assists per game..

meh- I would go with TEAM assists and defensive rebounding. Lack of the latter last year was what really hurt our team and our defense.

PG assists has never been an indicator of team success for anyone really. Go back 25 years now and how many NBA Champions had PG's with high assist totals? Most teams have had "pseudo" PG's and wings that could handle the ball and pass like MJ, Pip, Manu, Kobe, Wade, Lebron. Who were the PG's on those teams? Pax, BJ, Derrick Fisher, Chalmers and Cole. Even Parker has never had big assist totals. Those are the PG's on the vast majority of the last 25 Champs. Throw in Kenny Smith and Chauncey Billups (and White Chocolate) and you have most all of them. I don't think any of them averaged more than 7 assists per game. J Kidd at 8.2 APG was the only PG over 8 per game I think in the last 25 NBA Champ PG's. And in the playoffs he averaged 6.2.

Even Steph isn't a huge assist guy (7.7 APG rs- 6.4 APG playoffs) even with all that firepower. You can't focus all the ball handling and playmaking to a single individual or position

For the Bulls, team-oriented PG play was simply missing last year most of the time. Hinrich at least tried, even if he failed. But Brooks and Rose were subpar at team leadership on both ends of the floor last year.

This I agree with but that has less to do with their assist totals and more to do with just not setting up the offense well, turning the ball over, and not playing solid, consistent defense.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
Chi town
RealGM
And1: 7,004

Post#38 » by Chi town » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:30 pm

Rerisen wrote:Hey now, Aaron Brooks is good at faciliating.... for Aaron Brooks.

That caused a legit LOL! So true. Only if we had a vet distributor that could setup our young guns.
McBulls
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#39 » by McBulls » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:26 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
McBulls wrote:
I disagree.
If I had to pick one stat that would correlate highest with team success next year, it would be PG assists per game..

meh- I would go with TEAM assists and defensive rebounding. Lack of the latter last year was what really hurt our team and our defense.

PG assists has never been an indicator of team success for anyone really. Go back 25 years now and how many NBA Champions had PG's with high assist totals? Most teams have had "pseudo" PG's and wings that could handle the ball and pass like MJ, Pip, Manu, Kobe, Wade, Lebron. Who were the PG's on those teams? Pax, BJ, Derrick Fisher, Chalmers and Cole. Even Parker has never had big assist totals. Those are the PG's on the vast majority of the last 25 Champs. Throw in Kenny Smith and Chauncey Billups (and White Chocolate) and you have most all of them. I don't think any of them averaged more than 7 assists per game. J Kidd at 8.2 APG was the only PG over 8 per game I think in the last 25 NBA Champ PG's. And in the playoffs he averaged 6.2.

Even Steph isn't a huge assist guy (7.7 APG rs- 6.4 APG playoffs) even with all that firepower. You can't focus all the ball handling and playmaking to a single individual or position.

The current Bulls' MJ is Rose. The pathetic fact is that MJ got as many assists at SG as Rose gets at PG. in one multi game stretch of his career, MJ averaged a triple double, while leading the league in scoring and defense at his position.

OK, Rose shouldn't be mentioned in the same sentence, paragraph, or post as MJ. But he is the focus of the current team when he is on the floor. The team would be better; no, much better, if he concentrated on playmaking and team defense much more than he has in the past. The statistical correlates would be assists and steals.

Return to Chicago Bulls