Image ImageImage Image

Dunleavy has back surgery, out 8-10 weeks (Mid-Late Decmber)

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,928

Re: Dunleavy has back surgery, out 8-10 weeks (Mid-Late Decmber) 

Post#121 » by meekrab » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:59 pm

rtblues wrote:I don't like the expression "blessing in disguise" being used to describe MDJ missing time.
Disguise? What, are they're gonna try to disguise Tony Snell or Doug McDermott as MDJ?
Or disguise a bottom of the barrel signing from the dregs that remain as a blessing?

It's simple, they're better with him than without him. He's a better NBA basketball player
than Tony Snell or Doug McDermott is.

Oh, and unless McDermott found some magic beans, I don't see how people are projecting such
a significant minutes increase this season. Talk about entitlement minutes! The guy hasn't proved anything so far.
Oh, and Summer League, yeah, that's Summer League, how many times does one need to be fooled by this?

Sorry, MDJ getting hurt is NOT addition by subtraction, it is a loss to a guy who is a starter, or at least 6-7 on this team.

It's pretty simple, this team as currently composed is only going to win a title if Snell or McD develop into a player good enough to push MDJ to a bench role. Him sitting out the early part of the season gives them a chance to get solid minutes in order to do that.

Nobody thinks Snell or Doug were better than MDJ last season. But they're both under 25 and have upside potential. Dunleavy only has future downside.
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#122 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:38 pm

meekrab wrote:
rtblues wrote:I don't like the expression "blessing in disguise" being used to describe MDJ missing time.
Disguise? What, are they're gonna try to disguise Tony Snell or Doug McDermott as MDJ?
Or disguise a bottom of the barrel signing from the dregs that remain as a blessing?

It's simple, they're better with him than without him. He's a better NBA basketball player

Oh, and unless McDermott found some magic beans, I don't see how people are projecting such
a significant minutes increase this season. Talk about entitlement minutes! The guy hasn't proved anything so far.
Oh, and Summer League, yeah, that's Summer League, how many times does one need to be fooled by this?

Sorry, MDJ getting hurt is NOT addition by subtraction, it is a loss to a guy who is a starter, or at least 6-7 on this team.

It's pretty simple, this team as currently composed is only going to win a title if Snell or McD develop into a player good enough to push MDJ to a bench role. Him sitting out the early part of the season gives them a chance to get solid minutes in order to do that.

Nobody thinks Snell or Doug were better than MDJ last season. But they're both under 25 and have upside potential. Dunleavy only has future downside.

When a team is in "win now" mode, all the potential doesn't mean a damn thing. That's the problem. The Bulls don't have 3-4 years to see what they might have. This roster was/is designed to win now. In 3 years, McDermott might be great (LOL) and Snell might be gone. They'll worry about that then. THIS team is much better with Dunleavy playing over those 2.
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#123 » by RedBulls23 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 5:40 pm

Stratmaster wrote:At least I can quit explaining why the starting lineup won't change unless due to injury....it is changing now.

Some really strange comments.

The Bulls brought in a coach who values the 3 ball and features it. They just lost their best 3 point shooter, who figured to have a great season playing in the new system. There is no blessing in disguise here.

A lot of health experts here. A back surgery like this could result in MDJ being 100% very quickly, or it could be a chronic issue which relegates him to a very limited low minute spot up shooter off the end of the bench. I don't think any of us know which one is the answer. Doesn't sound like degenerative disk disease or anything like that. I am hopeful that a "quick shave" resolves the issue and he is as good as he was before...which was still a 35 year old player at the end of his career.

To a couple of the posts, yes, many of us were hoping MDJ would be pushed out of the starting lineup because McD would show he could handle the spot. But we still wanted him off the bench for 20 mpg, and we wanted to see someone else step up and TAKE the spot.

The Bulls were already needing to make a consolidation trade for a wing. The problem is that the Snell/Taj package it would take won't be available until Taj shows he is healthy.

Niko at the 3? the whole league is going smaller, our new coach wants to go up-tempo, and we should move to Gasol, Noah, Niko, Butler and Rose?

As far as Snell being "more proven" then McD... playing poorly for two seasons is certainly more proven. the problem is what he has proven is he is not a starting quality player, and is a weak 2nd team player.

Hoiberg needs to start McD so that we learn quickly if he has any value in the rotation. That is the only way to find out how urgently we need to move Taj/Snell for a wing.

Idk about blessing in disguise, but it definitely is a chance for either Snell or Doug to step up and own a starting spot.

What they did last year will be irrelevant if they have improved their games to take on that bigger role.

Also don't agree about just brushing off Snell and starting McD. Give it to the player who shows he's more ready I'm training camp and preason. Hoiberg will have a month to decide who should start between the 2 before the reg season begins.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,201

Post#124 » by HomoSapien » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:10 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
meekrab wrote:

When a team is in "win now" mode, all the potential doesn't mean a damn thing. That's the problem. The Bulls don't have 3-4 years to see what they might have. This roster was/is designed to win now. In 3 years, McDermott might be great (LOL) and Snell might be gone. They'll worry about that then. THIS team is much better with Dunleavy playing over those 2.

I don't think we're a true contender. We came back with the same roster that couldn't get past a depleted Cavs team. Our best hope of getting past them now is if Snell and/or McDermott turn into legit players. If they elevate their game, then we're not the same team as last year.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#125 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 6:46 pm

This board is terrible. He's only out 10 weeks top. Its the very start of training camp. He has all season to slowly improve. Ppl acting like he out for the season. Its unfortunate we have already started off hurt. But who really is that down on mcdermott or Snell that they can't replace mdj. He's not the answer anyway. Like another poster said this is rose and Noah's season to play better.

They make and break this team. We know dam well niko can play SF if Snell or mcdermott can't for the short term. This kinda opens the door for Jordan Crawford to be a option at backup sg pushing Butler to the 3 more.

I want mdj ready for the playoffs. This team to good not to make the playoffs with all the vets we have. Even hinrich plays well when he's rested. Our motto is next man up. Its mcdermotts time now. This team will go as far as rose and Noah takes them. They are healthy and both have alot to prove this year.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#126 » by dice » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:32 pm

HomoSapien wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:
meekrab wrote:It's pretty simple, this team as currently composed is only going to win a title if Snell or McD develop into a player good enough to push MDJ to a bench role. Him sitting out the early part of the season gives them a chance to get solid minutes in order to do that.

I don't think we're a true contender. We came back with the same roster that couldn't get past a depleted Cavs team. Our best hope of getting past them now is if Snell and/or McDermott turn into legit players. If they elevate their game, then we're not the same team as last year.

as with last year...and the year before that...it's about derrick rose and defense first and foremost. i have some faith in the latter returning to form, little in the former
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Droseisthe1
Analyst
And1: 1,780

Post#127 » by Droseisthe1 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:48 pm

Is this why Dunleavy gave us a home-town discount to re-sign with us?
Kris Bryant will go down as the greatest Chicago athlete after MJ

edit 7/30/21: okay maybe not, but it was a fun ride nonetheless
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#128 » by MC3 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 7:57 pm

Droseisthe1 wrote:Is this why Dunleavy gave us a home-town discount to re-sign with us?

Could be, but it also could be GarPax Kurt Hunrich'ed us.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#129 » by HomoSapien » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:40 pm

donaldtrump_00 wrote:This board is terrible. He's only out 10 weeks top. Its the very start of training camp. He has all season to slowly improve. Ppl acting like he out for the season. Its unfortunate we have already started off hurt. But who really is that down on mcdermott or Snell that they can't replace mdj. He's not the answer anyway. Like another poster said this is rose and Noah's season to play better.

They make and break this team. We know dam well niko can play SF if Snell or mcdermott can't for the short term. This kinda opens the door for Jordan Crawford to be a option at backup sg pushing Butler to the 3 more.

I want mdj ready for the playoffs. This team to good not to make the playoffs with all the vets we have. Even hinrich plays well when he's rested. Our motto is next man up. Its mcdermotts time now. This team will go as far as rose and Noah takes them. They are healthy and both have alot to prove this year.

What's with all the hostility against the board in this thread? If it's so terrible, please feel free to post elsewhere. Keep it about basketball, and knock off the insults - even if it's done in a silly general way.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#130 » by HomoSapien » Sat Sep 26, 2015 8:41 pm

I hated Noce towards the end of his run with the Bulls, but he's played extremely well internationally. It looks like he's mobile again, injury free, and refreshed. I sure wouldn't mind having him for a third option to start the season.

Sent from my iPad using RealGM Forums
meekrab
RealGM

Post#131 » by meekrab » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:02 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:When a team is in "win now" mode, all the potential doesn't mean a damn thing. That's the problem. The Bulls don't have 3-4 years to see what they might have. This roster was/is designed to win now. In 3 years, McDermott might be great (LOL) and Snell might be gone. They'll worry about that then. THIS team is much better with Dunleavy playing over those 2.

I don't agree with you that we're in "win now" mode just because we have a 35 year old Pau Gasol on the roster.
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#132 » by keloms » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:18 pm

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine/status/647880342196482048[/tweet]

Bring him in.

meekrab wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:When a team is in "win now" mode, all the potential doesn't mean a damn thing. That's the problem. The Bulls don't have 3-4 years to see what they might have. This roster was/is designed to win now. In 3 years, McDermott might be great (LOL) and Snell might be gone. They'll worry about that then. THIS team is much better with Dunleavy playing over those 2.

I don't agree with you that we're in "win now" mode just because we have a 35 year old Pau Gasol on the roster.

That's the only reason he's here. Took a massive paycut because he thought they were going to be contenders. Bulls screwed him by dumping Thibs.
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#133 » by HomoSapien » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:27 pm

I wouldn't mind Wallace as a third stringer. His game has fallen off the charts, but he might be able to give us some energy a few minutes a game.
meekrab
RealGM

Post#134 » by meekrab » Sat Sep 26, 2015 9:38 pm

keloms wrote:That's the only reason he's here. Took a massive paycut because he thought they were going to be contenders. Bulls screwed him by dumping Thibs.

I completely agree that Pau is here for a shot at another ring.

I just don't think the Bulls are basing their personnel or coaching decisions around the fact that Pau only has 2-3 years left in the league.
DASMACKDOWN
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 14,357

Post#135 » by DASMACKDOWN » Sat Sep 26, 2015 10:15 pm

It sucks MDJ has to get surgery in essentially training camp. Well look on the bright side, its better to have surgery in October, than to have it in March. I wouldn't call it a blessing but we certainly hit the fast forward button on the futures of Snell and McBuckets.

If none of them really take the reigns in this opportunity, I cant see them both being with us next year.
The Cult of Personality
GimmeDat
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 16,880

Post#136 » by GimmeDat » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:19 am

Noc had a really good tournament, don't know if he still has what it takes to play in the NBA though.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0dq90TDYO4[/youtube]

Gerald Wallace is 90% done, but he's a good vet to have on a team and he'll give you 5-10 minutes of hustle. It would probably be the equivalent of having a current day Kirk that plays SF.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,542

Post#137 » by dice » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:40 am

keloms wrote:That's the only reason he's here. Took a massive paycut because he thought they were going to be contenders. Bulls screwed him by dumping Thibs.

keeping thibs around wouldn't have given pau any better a shot at a title
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
donaldtrump_00
Analyst
And1: 567

Post#138 » by donaldtrump_00 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:48 am

No. - HS
drbg43
Pro Prospect
And1: 352

Post#139 » by drbg43 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:39 am

Love it.
Thanks to the one and only BullsFan88 for the sig
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#140 » by TimRobbins » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:44 pm

I really don't get this. How did this happen? Did the Bulls just give a 3 year, $15M contract to a guy who needs a back surgery? And no, I'm not buying the 8-10 weeks timeline for a guy who just turned 35?

Will MDJ even be effective again when he comes back from this? Did the Bulls know this when they signed him?

Return to Chicago Bulls