Image ImageImage Image

Mirotic may start - KC

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

IcemanGervin
Veteran
And1: 1,535

Re: Mirotic may start - KC 

Post#41 » by IcemanGervin » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:45 am

I will reserve judgement until I see Niko at the 3 in Hoibergs offense. To even compare this to Niko under Thibs is asinine.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#42 » by dice » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:05 am

IcemanGervin wrote:I will reserve judgement until I see Niko at the 3 in Hoibergs offense. To even compare this to Niko under Thibs is asinine.

do you seriously expect that hoiberg's offense involves posting up the SF? because that's the only conceivable way niko has an advantage at that position. and he's still getting burned at the other end of the court
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#43 » by HomoSapien » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:10 am

dice wrote:
IcemanGervin wrote:I will reserve judgement until I see Niko at the 3 in Hoibergs offense. To even compare this to Niko under Thibs is asinine.

do you seriously expect that hoiberg's offense involves posting up the SF? because that's the only conceivable way niko has an advantage at that position

It might. We sure as hell posted McDermott up a ton in the summer league, which no one was expecting.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,522

Post#44 » by dice » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:20 am

HomoSapien wrote:
dice wrote:

do you seriously expect that hoiberg's offense involves posting up the SF? because that's the only conceivable way niko has an advantage at that position

It might. We sure as hell posted McDermott up a ton in the summer league, which no one was expecting.

hoiball!
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
Bulls_Fan
Head Coach
And1: 815
Location: Don't mess with the BULLS young man, you'll get the horns

Post#45 » by Bulls_Fan » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:23 am

I hope McDermott doesn't get hurt when the ball gets rejected at him when he tries out his post game come regular season.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#46 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:13 am

HomoSapien wrote:
dice wrote:

yeah, that works in the Summer League against smaller inferior athletes and just bad, no defense playing horrid basketball.... it won't against NBA level talent.

Regarding the wording of the quote. Not sure why he would even mention MDJ injury as if it has an effect on Niko starting.. implying that even before MDJ was hurt, there was talk of Niko starting. If not at the 3, then why even mention his name again? IDK.. just poor journalism, in general, but to be expected from KCJ.

One last thing on this... Last year everyone made such a huge deal out of Niko at the 3, but the truth is that he got a ton of open looks but was just terrible shooting the ball. I would just laugh watching the games and reading this board.. nearly every post in every GT and post game, where he played any 3 at all... all we heard here was how much of an "idiot Thibs was playing Niko at the 3". That "he is not a SF and anyone can see that".. I was laughing because if Niko just would have been a half way decent shooter in that offense, he would have been great.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
HomoSapien
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 28,171

Post#47 » by HomoSapien » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:16 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:
HomoSapien wrote:
dice wrote:do you seriously expect that hoiberg's offense involves posting up the SF? because that's the only conceivable way niko has an advantage at that position

yeah, that works in the Summer League against smaller inferior athletes and just bad, no defense playing horrid basketball.... it won't against NBA level talent.

Regarding the wording of the quote. Not sure why he would even mention MDJ injury as if it has an effect on Niko starting.. implying that even before MDJ was hurt, there was talk of Niko starting. If not at the 3, then why even mention his name again? IDK.. just poor journalism in general, to be expected from KCJ.

One last thing on this... Last year everyone made such a huge deal out of Niko at the 3, but the truth is that he got a ton of open looks but was just terrible shooting the ball. I would just laugh watching the games and reading this board.. nearly every post in every GT and post game, where he played any 3 at all... all we heard here was how much of an "idiot Thibs was playing Niko at the 3". That "he is not a SF and anyone can see that".. I was laughing because if Niko just would have been a half way decent shooter in that offense, he would have been great.

Sure, but in this context, we're talking about Mirotic, not McDermott. Also, McDermott implied that they were testing out that offensive structure for Butler, so I would imagine that we will post up our guard/forwards from time to time.
ThreeYearPlan wrote:Bulls fans defend HomoSapien more than Rose.
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#48 » by johnnyvann840 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:23 am

HomoSapien wrote:
Sure, but in this context, we're talking about Mirotic, not McDermott. Also, McDermott implied that they were testing out that offensive structure for Butler, so I would imagine that we will post up our guard/forwards from time to time.

Agree. I would love to see Jimmy in the post more and Niko as well

... I guess what I was trying to say is that I don't have that much of a problem with Niko at the 3.. in fact, I think he could be a very good SF. Surprisingly good handle, passing game, supposed to be a shooter... the only problem I see from last year was that he sucked at shooting 3's.. we all expect that to change though.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
keithmad42
Senior
And1: 157

Post#49 » by keithmad42 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:14 am

There are many variables and questions heading into this season that will determine the future of the Bulls. Can Noah perform at a level closer to the 2013 season or has he taken a permanent step back athletically? I expect him to play better than last year but I feel his starting and near all star production years are over. Assuming he is still 3rd big material, I would expect the Bulls to plan on moving Taj. Fred will be on the same same page with the FO unlike Thibs. Therefore if Taj is 100%, I expect him to start. If Noah is obviously still a shell of his former self, they will entertain offers but may not move Taj. I hope they get a deal for Taj that they can't refuse heading into the deadline.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#50 » by Rerisen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:10 am

TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#51 » by TimRobbins » Sun Sep 27, 2015 9:41 am

I don't like Mirotic at the 3. We should go with Snell.
Jimako10
Analyst
And1: 1,586

Post#52 » by Jimako10 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:32 pm

If your going to bench Gasol you might as well trade him for a starting 3 and unleash the Mirobeard on everyone.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#53 » by sco » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:06 pm

Just play Taj at the 3 and Niko at the 4. Problem solved.
:clap:
Axl Rose
Head Coach
And1: 3,936

Post#54 » by Axl Rose » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:24 pm

sco wrote:Just play Taj at the 3 and Niko at the 4. Problem solved.

joking? that is not problem solved as Taj is not a SF either
I don't do the dishes, I throw them in the crib
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,148

Post#55 » by League Circles » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:30 pm

I'm too lazy to try to read the whole thing but I don't think it has to mean Niko at the 3. It could be that Fred wanted Niko and his potential spacing and whatever in the starting lineup even before MDJ got hurt - at the 4 for Noah. Now that Dunleavy will be replaced by a lesser spacer, whether it's McD, Snell, Kirk, Moore or Crawford (at the 2 or 3), Fred may believe it's that much more important to have Niko and his spacing out there at the 4 (instead of Noah or Taj).
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
vvgotgame19
Starter
And1: 757

Post#56 » by vvgotgame19 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 2:47 pm

Starting Niko at the 3 just doesn't make any sense to me. We already have 4 guys that will see minutes there (Dunleavy, Snell, McD and Butler). It makes a lot more sense if they're talking the 4. The quote says their trying to sell the players on it's not who starts, it's who finishes. Would they really need to sell Dunleavy on that? To me that screams they'd be trying to sell that to Noah.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#57 » by Rerisen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Gar Paxdorf wrote:I'm too lazy to try to read the whole thing but I don't think it has to mean Niko at the 3.

I didn't immediately read it as him at SF either. But in regards to that specifically, if Fred doesn't think Doug or Snell are looking advanced from last year by the start of the season, then I'd be welcome to the idea of Niko at the 3 as well, because even if he is only 75% as effective at SF as he is at PF, that is still likely to be better overall than Snell or Doug if they haven't progressed.

Though actually starting him there would not be the route I'd go as opposed to just trying to get him minutes there while Duns is hurt.
dafunky1
Lead Assistant
And1: 258

Post#58 » by dafunky1 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:28 pm

vvgotgame19 wrote:Starting Niko at the 3 just doesn't make any sense to me. We already have 4 guys that will see minutes there (Dunleavy, Snell, McD and Butler). It makes a lot more sense if they're talking the 4. The quote says their trying to sell the players on it's not who starts, it's who finishes. Would they really need to sell Dunleavy on that? To me that screams they'd be trying to sell that to Noah.

Or they could mean pau cause a starting frontcourt of Pau and Niko is a defensive disaster.
JeremyB0001
General Manager
And1: 810

Post#59 » by JeremyB0001 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:44 pm

I'm baffled that people are somehow reading that line as suggesting that Mirotic will play the three. The actual information that K.C. is reporting is that the Bulls discussed Niko starting when they thought Dunleavy would be healthy, i.e. when they thought they would have five available wings not including Mirotic. That, combined with Hoiberg's emphasis on floor spacing and the fact that power forward is Mirotic's true position, strongly suggests that the discussions were about Niko starting at the four, not the three.
FreakMaster
Bench Warmer
And1: 290

Post#60 » by FreakMaster » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:48 pm

AirGordon7 wrote:Hoiberg is not off to a good start if hes starting Nikola at the 3

Amazing!
Forum post rave about Jimmy Butler playing PG and having improved handles and playmaking abilities even though he was neither a good assist-man nor did he have good handles. They hope that Doug McDermott can shoot light out even though he shot poorly from the 3 last season. They expect Tony Snell to be brimming with confidence and show a major improvement in his inconsistent game to be the starting 3. They look for Derrick Rose to regain his dominate form. Yet, when it comes to Niko they are convinced theat he'll never be able to guard small forwards. Let' give the 2nd yr player a chance to show that he's improved too.

Return to Chicago Bulls