Image ImageImage Image

Rose update: Rose to make preseason debut tonight! p49

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

chifan1798
RealGM
And1: 2,883

Re: Rose surgery update: p22 Expected Back in 2wks 

Post#581 » by chifan1798 » Sat Oct 3, 2015 8:28 pm

RememberLu wrote:lol @ excusing a guy cheating on his school tests. That's such homer-ness that I can't even reply in good faith. His inability to pass a high school test, or speak intelligently, or make good PR decisions indicates that he's not at a respectable intellectual level with his peers.

I think guys like Luol Deng and Pau are excellent role models for kids. They're the epitome of classy professionals. If I was to think of an ideal way for athletes to act in their personal or professional lives it would be like those two. We're lucky that we've drafted and brought in so many good, hard working and intelligent players to make up for Rose's lack of intelligence.

Not that I don't agree that it shouldn't be overlooked that he cheated on tests, but it's commonplace among athletes from grade school through college. Rose just happened to get caught. The VAST majority of these athletes playing professional sports, did at some point cheat on tests, whether or not they needed to. Many of these athletes that we see giving interviews have at one point reaped the benefits of being super talented. Some guys don't seem like the type, but you would never know what goes on. In undergrad, at a Big 10 school, saw it first hand because one of these NFL players, who I think was fairly well liked, was assigned to be in a group project with me and 2 other people. This guy showed up to a grand total of 3 classes all semester, and never took part in our group project. When we brought it up to our graduate student instructor, she was just like "well, you know how these athletes are, don't worry about it, just do your part". I'm sure at the end of the semester, he had a passing grade despite not showing up, turning in assignments, or participating in our project, which set us back because we all refused to do his work. This is the story that you would see and hear about all the time with various other players who have made it to the professional leagues. Maybe Rose needs a new PR person to cover up all the dumb stuff the happens, because many other athletes have managed to keep things like cheating under wraps.
Fast Dont Fib
Veteran
And1: 134

Post#582 » by Fast Dont Fib » Sat Oct 3, 2015 9:59 pm

transplant wrote:Agreed. I understand the "What? Again?!?" fan reaction, but it's not a good reason to not like Rose. By all accounts, unlike the first knee injury, Rose has done what the docs told him in terms of recovery/rehab.

For me personally, it's not so much the off court/PR/Injury stuff. I'm struggling to like him as a basketball player. Of course, you can't dismiss the injuries but they aren't solely to blame for why i feel the way the way i do now. He was hobbled a good portion of the 11/12 season. He was often visibly slower for stretches during that season because of the various nagging things going on with him that year. He was a hell of a facilitator that year though. He was slowed, but ran the offense better than ever that year. He still chucked from time to time, still shot some head scratching 3's. But i thought he processed how his body was and changed his game a bit to compensate for it. Last year it seemed like he was trying to prove that he was still big time, that he was still the guy, that he could shoot. And he forced it, often to the detriment of the team. If he's always getting hurt (no matter the cause/reason) i feel like that's never going to stop.

I've said it before, he doesn't have to be able to finish like he was capable of to be a focal point of this team. He just needs to get himself into the teeth of the defense to create effectively. He can still do that, he was still doing it at times. Just he was choosing to look for himself more often that not. And when not doing that he was choosing to RP as Josh Smith. I didn't enjoy watching him play basketball last year. If i did, he would have alot more leeway from myself and i'm sure plenty of others for the injuries and weird things that fall out of his facehole.
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#583 » by transplant » Sat Oct 3, 2015 10:07 pm

I've said this several times, but it may have been lost in other thoughts.

If DRose plays well and helps the Bulls win, most won't care what he's said. On the other hand, if he does not play well, all of the truly incredibly stupid things he's said will stick to him like velcro. It's just the way it is.

I used to like Rose, before he gave me better idea of who he is. Now, I''ll never have that sort of positive connection. Doesn't mean I won't be pulling like crazy for him to become great again...I'm a Bulls fan.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#584 » by DuckIII » Sun Oct 4, 2015 1:48 am

transplant wrote:I've said this several times, but it may have been lost in other thoughts.

If DRose plays well and helps the Bulls win, most won't care what he's said. On the other hand, if he does not play well, all of the truly incredibly stupid things he's said will stick to him like velcro. It's just the way it is.

I used to like Rose, before he gave me better idea of who he is. Now, I''ll never have that sort of positive connection. Doesn't mean I won't be pulling like crazy for him to become great again...I'm a Bulls fan.

Same. I don't have to like the players on my teams to want them to succeed. Laundry rules. The rest of it is about their lives, not mine.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,537

Post#585 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 2:28 am

transplant wrote:I've said this several times, but it may have been lost in other thoughts.

the more likable the players are, the more satisfaction there is in winning. i don't think that's disputable. fans and coaches alike. but above all, of course, it's about entertainment value - being able to watch good basketball. i think we'd all rather watch a team full of criminals that plays good basketball than a team full of model citizens that can't compete
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DaeDae
Analyst
And1: 661

Post#586 » by DaeDae » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:38 pm

Its jumping the shark now.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
DaeDae
Analyst

Post#587 » by DaeDae » Sun Oct 4, 2015 5:39 pm

Lol at the revisionist history turning our other players into angels (Noah? Really?), to villify rose further.

Its jumping the shark now.
Red Larrivee wrote:The Bulls have too many untouchables for a team without a second option.
dice
RealGM

Post#588 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:02 pm

DaeDae wrote:Lol at the revisionist history turning our other players into angels (Noah? Really?), to villify rose further.

nobody has done that. it's just that guys like noah and butler, or even less prominent guys like taj and freaking bobby portis, are now far more personally likable than derrick rose
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
DaeDae
Analyst

Post#589 » by DaeDae » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:20 pm

dice wrote:
DaeDae wrote:Lol at the revisionist history turning our other players into angels (Noah? Really?), to villify rose further.

nobody has done that. it's just that guys like noah and butler, or even less prominent guys like taj and freaking bobby portis, are now far more personally likable than derrick rose

The same Noah that never came into camp in shape, always parties too hard back at Florida in the off season and had questionable substance issues until last season, (maybe)??
dice
RealGM

Post#590 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 6:55 pm

DaeDae wrote:
dice wrote:

The same Noah that never came into camp in shape, always parties too hard back at Florida in the off season and had questionable substance issues until last season, (maybe)??

yes. far more likable than derrick rose. no comparison. both on and off the court
red222
RealGM
And1: 2,293

Post#591 » by red222 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:08 pm

dice wrote:
DaeDae wrote:
dice wrote:nobody has done that. it's just that guys like noah and butler, or even less prominent guys like taj and freaking bobby portis, are now far more personally likable than derrick rose

yes. far more likable than derrick rose. no comparison. both on and off the court
You don't know them you only know what is reported now that things aren't positive rose is some demon. I can't judge anyone based on hearsay I can only judge on actions. You're speaking as if you know their lives inside and out.
art_barbie
Banned User
And1: 157

Post#592 » by art_barbie » Sun Oct 4, 2015 7:55 pm

There are a couple of things that get lost in the derrick rose (debate) for lack of a better word.

1. The Chicago Bulls are not winning a championship this year, or next year, or likely the year after unless the top 3 teams implode or have major injury issues. But we are close. We are in that group of teams in the East that can get to the finals and lose if Lebron has an injury.

2. So its essentially a developmental year of sorts. its not an A to B development, rather a B to C development. If we were cleveland and Rose was Lebron we could forgive nearly all of this except the rape allegations(if they are true). So it comes down to who do you want to watch? Who do you want your team to develop? because Rose is no longer our difference maker...not the Rose of the last 4 years...and sorry but I dont think MVP Rose exists anymore... MVP Rose, IMO, only existed in an Iversonian platform where Rose knew all the shots and usage was his to take and allowed him to get comfortable to have the efficiency he had. If you lower the usage then his efficiency plummets. Not unlike many players Niko included as he showed last year, you give Niko the touches and he gets more efficient. But like Rose, Niko is no Lebron. No MJ. NO Steph. And if you are not then you must be able to paly off the ball in order to be championship calibre. You've got to be able to space the floor for teamates and make open shots on kick outs.

Besides that we already know that the Iversonian model doesn't work. You cant win it all with it. Not in this league and definitely not anymore and certainly not right now. There are too many teams with too many weapons for any player to win with on the Iversonian platform. Micheal frickin Jordan couldn't win more than 42 games and lose in the 1st or second round (both sweeps) in the same model.

3. Derrick Rose's intelligence keeps getting brought up in all of these threads. he aint that dumb. you cant be on your way to half a billion dollars and be dumb. Its not possible. But he aint that brite either nor does he...ummm...what's the expression?...yeah...give a funk. he just doesn't care what you or I think, AT ALL. And we are the most hardcore of Bulls fans...He feels that his $2-300 million that he "earned" on your sponsorship and viewership is above what you think. His actions show that he feels like he is the king and you are the peasant. In his vacuum, we all exist as pawns to manipulate to maximize his earnings. And there are many wealthy people that see it that way and many that dont. But thats what all his actions and words suggest, he is the type to see it that way. And thats where his intelligence does come into play...why does he not see the importance of having good equity with his/bulls fan base? I have my own conjecture and theories to save for another day but either way it begs the question...how can this guy be the floor general to take us from B to C? Why should we want him to be the guy that we give the floor time to help this team get from B to C? Because of his 49% TS%?? Because he is so endearing to the chicago bulls fan base? because of his 6 apg? because of his 29 3PT%? because of all the clutch FT he has missed at crucial times costing us reg season and playoff games? because of the time he was a healthy scratch?? In the playoffs for that matter? When all we needed was 10 mpg at 70% and we would have likely won that playoff series not lost it?? Because of his "i got a family to feed" to moment??

I'll say it again, we are not winning it all this year and we as a fanbase know this. we know we wont be far enough along next or the year after and in those next 2 years we will likely be likely be losing Gasol, Likely Noah, Possibly Taj, and what I'm going to predict likely losing Rose as well.

SO why on earth, in Gods name, for the love of Jesus, why would we gave these next 2 years of development to Rose? In my mind its high time to fluff up Rose's trade value (and I hope thats what Sam Smith is doing) move him along.

Our team is soooooo good right now at all positions that all we need from our PG is a young Kirk Hinrich type player and we could be a 65 win team. We truly just need a 3 and D PG and thats it. A guy that can bring the ball up, run the offense and space the floor for all of our other talents and mostly just play great defense. We get that and we go from B to C overnight.

And thats what Rose just isn't. he has NO 3 and NO D. IMO, Rose is the opposite of what we need. Jimmy, Niko, and pau are more than capable of scoring for us in the last 2-3 minutes of the game at Rose TS% or better especially with a PG on the court that can actually catch and shoot to make shots or space the floor. And if we had a young Hinrich type PG then it would allow for guys like Snell, and Doug to develop as well...you get those 2 guys developed and confident, with MDJ coming back and making 40%3pt shots as well as Jimmy, pau, and Niko doing there thing with taj and Noah playing aggressive defense with a young Kirk type and Jimmy on the wings and this team is going to compete this year.

Rose being here only prolongs the inevitable. and the longer that inevitable is prolonged the older gasol and Noah get. Taj. As well as their contracts coming up and might not be renewed.
dice
RealGM

Post#593 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:22 pm

red222 wrote:
dice wrote:
DaeDae wrote:

You don't know them you only know what is reported now that things aren't positive rose is some demon. I can't judge anyone based on hearsay I can only judge on actions. You're speaking as if you know their lives inside and out.

so...i can't say that i don't like vladimir putin because i don't know his life inside and out? hogwash. joakim noah is loved by the fans for a reason. and few of them actually know him
dice
RealGM

Post#594 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:29 pm

art_barbie wrote:you cant be on your way to half a billion dollars and be dumb. Its not possible.

sure you can. not necessarily keeping it, but making it. derrick rose is proof of it

i don't think brains are essential to being a great entertainer. and if you're a great entertainer you can make a lot of money just by being smart enough to sign your name to any piece of paper with big numbers on it
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#595 » by bulliedog8 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:42 pm

dice wrote:
art_barbie wrote:you cant be on your way to half a billion dollars and be dumb. Its not possible.

sure you can. not necessarily keeping it, but making it. derrick rose is proof of it

i don't think brains are essential to being a great entertainer. and if you're a great entertainer you can make a lot of money just by being smart enough to sign your name to any piece of paper with big numbers on it

He is smart. Smart in a sense that he stayed out of trouble growing up, took advantage of his talents, etc. Smart to put people around him that would help him succeed (though bulls fans hate his brother/his group. They are/were good for him growing up and keeping him out of trouble). So he has made smart decisions in life which makes him smart in that sense. But ya I understand what you mean too though.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,323

Re: RE: Re: Rose surgery update: p22 Expected Back in 2wks 

Post#596 » by Stratmaster » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:49 pm

Keller61 wrote:
RememberLu wrote:
IcemanGervin wrote:Oh Derrick tell us how much you love the game, your teammates, how much losses hurt you and give us the cliches we crave please. Is this really what people want to hear?

Chicago sports fans act like children. Save the Disney dreaming for the movies.

many Bulls fans are children, and Rose has become a terrible role model for them.

If I had a Bulls fan child I'd tell them to listen to Pau, Noah, Jimmy, about a dozen other people before Rose.

How exactly is Rose a bad role model? He treats others with respect (reporters always talk about how polite he is with everybody), works hard at his profession, takes care of his family, and gives back to his community. No, he's not perfect, but nobody is.

You mean other than the fact that he has managed to fit both definitions of "gang banger" into his legacy? Add "cheater" to that. And some might even add quitter but that depends on how you view his return our lack thereof from his first injury. Yeah. ... No. .... Just no. Derrick has never been a good role model and never will be.
rtblues
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,577

Post#597 » by rtblues » Sun Oct 4, 2015 8:50 pm

Cleared to watch?
Derrick Rose ain't watching nothing until he is 110% ready to watch...!
"I wouldn’t call it a rebuild; more of a retool.” - Gar Forman, June 2016
dice
RealGM

Post#598 » by dice » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:32 pm

bulliedog8 wrote:
dice wrote:

He is smart. Smart in a sense that he stayed out of trouble growing up, took advantage of his talents, etc. Smart to put people around him that would help him succeed (though bulls fans hate his brother/his group. They are/were good for him growing up and keeping him out of trouble). So he has made smart decisions in life which makes him smart in that sense. But ya I understand what you mean too though.

well, i mean, even a dog can learn how to take orders

"stay away from troublemakers, derrick"
"work hard, derrick"
etc.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,583

Post#599 » by DuckIII » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:34 pm

red222 wrote:
dice wrote:
DaeDae wrote:

Leave Brittney alone, dice!
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
bulliedog8
Head Coach
And1: 4,482

Post#600 » by bulliedog8 » Sun Oct 4, 2015 9:39 pm

dice wrote:well, i mean, even a dog can learn how to take orders

"stay away from troublemakers, derrick"
"work hard, derrick"
etc.

So he has made smart decisions throughout his life. He didnt have to do all that. No different than you taking orders from people and then thinking you are smart (if you think you are smarter than Rose).

Making smart decisions=you are smart in some capacity at least.

Return to Chicago Bulls