Image ImageImage Image

Bulls want a new NBDL team at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates

Moderators: HomoSapien, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, AshyLarrysDiaper, fleet, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat

fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,204

Post#1 » by fleet » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:54 pm

A Chicago Bulls-affiliated NBA Development League team may be making Hoffman Estates' Sears Centre Arena its home court for its inaugural season about a year from now.

Hoffman Estates village board members will be discussing such a deal at a special finance committee meeting at 7 p.m. Monday, Nov. 2.

Though the initial agreement would be for five years, it also contains a provision for three renewals of the same length for a total of 20 years.

The Chicago Bulls released a statement on the new D-League team Friday afternoon.

"The Chicago Bulls are seeking to establish an expansion NBA Development League (NBADL) franchise that would begin play at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates for the 2016-17 season," the statement reads. "The concept of operating a NBADL franchise in the Chicago area is very exciting and represents an investment by the Bulls in the growth of the game of basketball and our brand."

Earlier this week, the Charlotte Hornets became the 11th NBA team to fully own and operate its D-League affiliate, expanding the D-League to 20 teams overall.

The proposed Bulls-affiliated team is expected to play a total of 24 home games during seasons beginning in mid-November and stretching through early April each year.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20151030/news/151039883/
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Re: Bulls new NBDL team to be at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates 

Post#2 » by MC3 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:55 pm

Happy for Bulls to finally have NBDL team. On other side, I question how much this can help Bulls to develop players. If Bulls can somehow utilize this opportunity on right way without just guys playing for stats to get noticed by NBA teams and actually develop them for NBA game would be nice.
Jeffster81
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,727

Re: Bulls want a new NBDL team at the Sears Centre Arena in Hoffman Estates 

Post#3 » by Jeffster81 » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:08 pm

It's about damn time.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#4 » by Polynice4Pippen » Fri Oct 30, 2015 11:21 pm

Reinsdorf gonna foot the bill? :o
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#5 » by ADDinChicago » Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:18 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:Reinsdorf gonna foot the bill? :o

I was surprised too, but it's a decent facility and a cheap option for basketball fans, especially in the Northern Burbs. He'll make the money back (and I'm sure there will be a ton of local area investors too). The Sears Centre has been trying to find an actual viable tenant for years now. This could be it. People will go for this. Especially if they name the team something like "Illinois Bulls", "Chicago Stags", etc. Sell a decent amount of merchandise in the process if they brand it well. They could be taking a page out of the Blackhawks' book yet again. One of the smartest things they did was move their 2 top affiliates close. The Rockford Icehogs product is better than some NHL games (non-Hawks) that I've been too because the right people run it. No reason the Bulls couldn't run this new thing like mini-Bulls games. Even if the team is bad, people will go in that area.

I honestly wouldn't be shocked though if there are little to none actual Bulls' talents that suit up for the club. Could just be guys they take in the NBDL draft. It looks more and more like the Bulls' 2nd rounders will be making the parent club going forward as cheap roster filler. I don't see them changing philosophy on "NBA players learn on an NBA roster". Could be ideal for rehab stints, though.
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#6 » by musiqsoulchild » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:37 am

He ALWAYS does.

1) Berto Center
2) Advocate Center
3) Boozer amnesty
4) Thibs salary

He always does. Which is why we should never complain when he chooses a profitability model. He reinvests like crazy. And its almost always for his players and his organization.

Even with the NBDL team, it will have so many good outcomes for fringe NBA players. But there will be a revenue stream calculation in there as well.
For love, not money.
Polynice4Pippen
RealGM
And1: 13,149

Post#7 » by Polynice4Pippen » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:38 am

musiqsoulchild wrote:

He ALWAYS does.

1) Berto Center
2) Advocate Center
3) Boozer amnesty
4) Thibs salary

He always does. Which is why we should never complain when he chooses a profitability model. He reinvests like crazy. And its almost always for his players and his organization.

Even with the NBDL team, it will have so many good outcomes for fringe NBA players. But there will be a revenue stream calculation in there as well.

You clearly don't follow the White Sox. :lol:
Jerry Reinsdorf; the undisputed king of allowing his GM's to run amok with unchecked power and ego. :king:
musiqsoulchild
RealGM
And1: 6,354

Post#8 » by musiqsoulchild » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:50 am

Polynice4Pippen wrote:
musiqsoulchild wrote:

He ALWAYS does.

1) Berto Center
2) Advocate Center
3) Boozer amnesty
4) Thibs salary

You clearly don't follow the White Sox. :lol:

White Sox is actually a MUCH different business case. The Cubs are a HUGE factor in that, but I digress.

The more important thing is that this is GREAT for our rookies and also our ability to scout talent and have first dibs.
For love, not money.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#9 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:58 am

Thats great news and its about time! Should be a few years before its starts turning out players. Exciting to see New talent learning Hoiball before making the roster
League Circles
RealGM
And1: 9,130

Post#10 » by League Circles » Sat Oct 31, 2015 5:20 am

This is cool. If it's cheap I'll catch a game. It'll be the highest talent/dollar bball in the chicago area I'm sure. Mostly for north and northwest suburb people.
https://august-shop.com/ - sneakers and streetwear
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach
And1: 280

Post#11 » by Mapelgleaf » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:25 pm

Damn - wish Rockford had a crack at this. The Ice Hogs do great here and before that the Rockford Lightning lasted for over 20 years before the CBA imploded.
Websites • SEO • Graphic Design
http://www.AstuteWebGroup.com
johnnyvann840
RealGM
And1: 18,703

Post#12 » by johnnyvann840 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:28 pm

Mapelgleaf wrote:Damn - wish Rockford had a crack at this. The Ice Hogs do great here and before that the Rockford Lightning lasted for over 20 years before the CBA imploded.

Would actually be a better choice... the Chicago area has too many entertainment options for the D League to do well. I think it would thrive in Rockford.
I am more than just a serious basketball fan. I am a life-long addict. I was addicted from birth. - Hunter S. Thompson
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#13 » by DarthDiggler69 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 3:00 pm

Mapelgleaf wrote:Damn - wish Rockford had a crack at this. The Ice Hogs do great here and before that the Rockford Lightning lasted for over 20 years before the CBA imploded.

I also thought of they had a D-League team Rockford would be a good spot. But having it near Chicago means players can get to the UC or O'Hare very quickly if they get called up for a game the same day
amcfad27
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,564

Post#14 » by amcfad27 » Sun Nov 1, 2015 2:21 am

Completely agree with this. Bring them to Rockford!
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach

Post#15 » by Mapelgleaf » Sun Nov 1, 2015 3:41 am

DarthDiggler69 wrote:

I also thought of they had a D-League team Rockford would be a good spot. But having it near Chicago means players can get to the UC or O'Hare very quickly if they get called up for a game the same day

Rockfords only an hour and a half roughly from both the UC and O'hare so not really much of a difference TBH.

Does anyone think this WONT pass next week? If not, then you never know... Just can't see Hoffman Estates taking a pass
fleet
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 32,204

Post#16 » by fleet » Sun Nov 1, 2015 4:22 am

seems like a slam dunk 'gleaf.

Youth movement: Boylen worked for Gregg Popovich with the Spurs for two seasons. That franchise owns the Austin (Texas) Toros in the NBA's Development League, just an hour from San Antonio.

It's a model the Bulls hope to emulate now that they're trying to establish a franchise in Hoffman Estates beginning next season.

"I think the Development League is a great building block for our league," Boylen said. "When I was in San Antonio, we used the D-League extensively to help develop our team. One year Cory Joseph started games in the D-League and played games in the (NBA) Finals. That's awesome for what the D League stands for — develop your team, develop your young guys, build your brand."

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/ct-derrick-rose-minutes-bits-bulls-spt-1101-20151031-story.html
Brad Biggs wrote:Fields was in the bottom third of the league in too many key statistical metrics for the Bears to commit to the idea of trading down from the first pick for a bundle of future assets and then building around him.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#17 » by ADDinChicago » Sun Nov 1, 2015 7:40 am

They're clearly capitalizing on a bigger money pool in that area and a more modern arena that's desperate for a strong tenant. I'm sure they got a great deal.

Also, if they do need to recall someone, it's a really short trip logistically. And in turn. it's super easy to get to for fans. I mentioned earlier why the IceHogs do so well. A lot has to do by who's running that franchise and how they're basically min-Hawks games. I'm sure if the Wolves ever left and the Hawks could move the IceHogs into Allstate arena, they'd not wait a second to do so. A lot has to do with location. It also helps the IceHogs that they are literally the only game in town in Rockford and the surrounding area.
ADDinChicago
Analyst

Post#18 » by ADDinChicago » Sun Nov 1, 2015 7:43 am

johnnyvann840 wrote:

Would actually be a better choice... the Chicago area has too many entertainment options for the D League to do well. I think it would thrive in Rockford.

If the Sears Centre wasn't newer and basically unused, I could see Rockford possibly being "better". But people forget how basketball as a whole caters now to a more affluent crowd. And in that area, especially off the toll way, there really isn't any "entertainment" options out by Hoffman Estates. There's a huge population around Schaumburg alone both livingwise and corporatewise. This team will draw due to everything mentioned.
Mapelgleaf
Assistant Coach

Post#19 » by Mapelgleaf » Sun Nov 1, 2015 7:11 pm

ADDinChicago wrote:
johnnyvann840 wrote:

If the Sears Centre wasn't newer and basically unused, I could see Rockford possibly being "better". But people forget how basketball as a whole caters now to a more affluent crowd. And in that area, especially off the toll way, there really isn't any "entertainment" options out by Hoffman Estates. There's a huge population around Schaumburg alone both livingwise and corporatewise. This team will draw due to everything mentioned.

You're pretty much spot on as much as I hate to admit it. The only thing that sucks is that other than a few very quiet whispers, we weren't even aware of this, let alone given an opportunity to throw some economic development dollars at it.

As for the Ice Hogs, there's a big fear here they're going to bolt in a few years even though you couldn't ask for a more perfect setup. They have one year or so left on their contract and for some reason have not extended. Thank God the Wolves keep them away from the Chicago market, but Indianapolis isn't too far away...

But back to the Bulls, I assume they're pretty happy about Hoffman Estates and the rest of us over here will just catch games at the UC... Damnit.
terry
Senior
And1: 268

Post#20 » by terry » Sun Nov 1, 2015 7:36 pm

If this happens, I wonder what they would name them.

I like Chicago Stags as someone mentioned.

Hoffman Estates Bulls?

Return to Chicago Bulls