Image ImageImage Image

Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards?

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

MalagaBulls
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,938
Location: Malaga, Spain (Where the Sun shines 300 days a year))

Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards? 

Post#1 » by MalagaBulls » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:59 am

I kind of think he might be offered either some type of FO role or become an assistant in a couple of years if he retires next year under Fred. Think about it, he does have a lot of experience and smarts about running the point and playing both good man2man and help defense. I think he could help bring along new guards we draft in future years, not so sure he could influence DRose that much though.

Thoughts?
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards? 

Post#2 » by Rerisen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:36 pm

Sure why not. If Pete Myers can do it, don't see why Kirk can't.

Kirk would teach The Grit.
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,206

Re: Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards? 

Post#3 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 1:45 pm

Kirk has always struck me as not the brightest bulb in the socket when I hear him talk. He doesn't really scream coach to me at all. As Rerisen just said, he might get it anyways out of loyalty but guys like Luol Deng always struck me as far more cerebral about the game and intelligent in general.
gardenofsound
Starter
And1: 1,780

Post#4 » by gardenofsound » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:22 pm

Maybe. John Wall used to say that Kirk was a great mentor for him his first few years in the league. Who knows.
DuckIII
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33,526

Post#5 » by DuckIII » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:36 pm

coldfish wrote:Kirk has always struck me as not the brightest bulb in the socket when I hear him talk. He doesn't really scream coach to me at all. As Rerisen just said, he might get it anyways out of loyalty but guys like Luol Deng always struck me as far more cerebral about the game and intelligent in general.

Luol Deng is an exceptionally intelligent, worldly person by any standard. Juxtaposing him with Kirk to illustrate Kirk's supposed limited "intelligence," particularly as it would translate into being a basketball coach, is in my opinion a pretty weak attempt to discredit Kirk Hinrich.

Hinrich was raised in the game, had a coach as a father, and has operated as the coach on the floor from Jr. High throughout an exceptionally lengthy NBA career. Every NBA coach he has ever had valued him wildly above the value the "common fan" placed upon him, and every commentator from every team or national unit I've ever listened to has raved about his sense and feel for the sport.

Kirk has kind of an odd, deep, rural voice and he's not going to win public office on charisma. But there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's not generally an intelligent person by objective measures, and he sure as **** knows the hell out of the game of basketball. Indeed, I've often used him as a way to gauge whether realgm posters have any idea what they are talking about when it comes to the sport.

If Kirk Hinrich wants to coach in the NBA, he'll coach in the NBA. Whether its for the Bulls or not.

As for Luol Deng, he's got bigger things in mind for his post-playing days.
Once a pickle, never a cucumber again.
unknownnewbie
General Manager
And1: 1,294

Post#6 » by unknownnewbie » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:38 pm

coldfish wrote:Kirk has always struck me as not the brightest bulb in the socket when I hear him talk. He doesn't really scream coach to me at all. As Rerisen just said, he might get it anyways out of loyalty but guys like Luol Deng always struck me as far more cerebral about the game and intelligent in general.

Just because he's not a great interviewee doesn't mean he's not intelligent or doesn't know the game. Not everyone is a great interview...he's always struck me as being quiet and not particularly interested in talking to the media. He does it simply because it's part of his job. His dad is a HS basketball coach, he's been around the game his entire life. And you can't be a NBA starting PG for a decade without understanding the game. Not to mention, when they have those polls about current players that would make the best coaches, Hinrich is always one of the guys in the top vote getters.

From what he has said in the past, I don't know if he wants to be a coach. But if he does, I think he'd make a good one.
JDRochholz
General Manager
And1: 1,187

Post#7 » by JDRochholz » Sun Nov 22, 2015 3:58 pm

if there's an opening for a dribbling coach, sure.
Red Larrivee
RealGM
And1: 18,723

Post#8 » by Red Larrivee » Sun Nov 22, 2015 4:49 pm

Kirk will probably get a front office job
pwrshft99
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,078

Post#9 » by pwrshft99 » Sun Nov 22, 2015 6:29 pm

OP is garpaxdorf?
#sadbullsfan
coldfish
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 35,206

Post#10 » by coldfish » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:03 pm

DuckIII wrote:

Luol Deng is an exceptionally intelligent, worldly person by any standard. Juxtaposing him with Kirk to illustrate Kirk's supposed limited "intelligence," particularly as it would translate into being a basketball coach, is in my opinion a pretty weak attempt to discredit Kirk Hinrich.

Hinrich was raised in the game, had a coach as a father, and has operated as the coach on the floor from Jr. High throughout an exceptionally lengthy NBA career. Every NBA coach he has ever had valued him wildly above the value the "common fan" placed upon him, and every commentator from every team or national unit I've ever listened to has raved about his sense and feel for the sport.

Kirk has kind of an odd, deep, rural voice and he's not going to win public office on charisma. But there's absolutely nothing to suggest he's not generally an intelligent person by objective measures, and he sure as **** knows the hell out of the game of basketball. Indeed, I've often used him as a way to gauge whether realgm posters have any idea what they are talking about when it comes to the sport.

If Kirk Hinrich wants to coach in the NBA, he'll coach in the NBA. Whether its for the Bulls or not.

As for Luol Deng, he's got bigger things in mind for his post-playing days.

Lol. I think I struck a nerve.

I have been following Kirk on the Bulls for a long time. Not once I have I seen an interview where he impressed me regarding his general IQ. As you note, he is a coach's son so he has been getting smart IQ moves drilled into him since he was young. His on court moves may just be the result of decades of good coaching making the right moves instinctive. Hell, during his first run with Chicago he wasn't that great at running the point, often pounding the ball way too much. I'll give him credit that he is actually better at running an offense nowadays and has learned.

Regardless, when I hear good coaches speak they sound very intelligent to me. That's why I recoiled almost immediately when VDN was hired or with Mark Jackson. Kirk has just never struck me as one of those Phil Jackson or Popovich type minds. Can someone point me to an interview where he goes into some deep analysis?

You know who else has one of those deep, rural voices? ME! I really got a chuckle out of the idea that I would hold that against someone.

Side note: I never thought Luke Walton could be a coach either based on what I thought of him, so you got that.
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Rerisen » Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:18 pm

I never saw Kirk's floor game was any higher IQ than Chris Duhon. Who also played solid defense and looked to set up his teammates well. Oddly never heard anyone say Chris Duhon would make a great coach.

Not that Kirk is an especially dumb player - though he does dumb things just like anyone else - but neither is he some basketball savant that makes super heady plays all the time. Super gritty and effort plays, yes. Maybe its just that dogged determination itself where people see leadership qualities in.

We've also never heard that he is some great locker room vocal leader. Other players respect his grit and his steady play (certainly in his prime) but the team leaders were usually seen to be like Deng, or actually the coaches themselves, Skiles then Thibs, with often talk being that the Bulls lacked real leaders. Jimmy was saying a lot of that this offseason.

Best thing that can be said for Kirk in a coaching sense, is he tries to implement the coaches gameplan on both ends. Now whether he would actually be good at communicating that to a whole team of players... who knows.

But like I said, if Pete Myers can do it, at least as an assistant, I'm sure Kirk can.

It's not like coaching isn't something you can't learn and get better at, just like anything else. Far easer to grow as a coach than as an actual player, where you are truly limited by simple physical talent.

Why is Kirk a better coaching candidate than Pau Gasol for instance? It could just be Kirk's dad was a coach, so people see it as a natural transition that they think he will *want* to do.

I think Kirk could certainly do it, but so could a lot of players if they wanted. To me, he wouldn't be a top 3 player in the whole league that I would pick to think would make a great coach. So we'll have to wait and see after his career if he wants to do that, and is good at it. Percentage breakdown below suggests probably 1 coach voted for him.

> Which active player will make the best head coach someday?

1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 25.0%
2. Mike Conley, Memphis -- 14.3%
3. Steve Blake, Detroit -- 12.5%
4. Andre Miller, Minnesota -- 7.1%
5. Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn -- 5.4%

Also receiving votes: Caron Butler, Sacramento; Jared Dudley, Washington; Willie Green; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago; Jameer Nelson, Denver; Pablo Prigioni, L.A. Clippers; J.J. Redick, L.A. Clippers; Luis Scola, Toronto; Garrett Temple, Washington; David West, San Antonio
Last year: Chris Paul -- 24.0%
Darius Miles Davis
Veteran
And1: 452

Post#12 » by Darius Miles Davis » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:15 am

Not sure which one, but one of the Bulls former coaches described Kirk as "leading by example." Derrick has been described in the same way. Translated: they are not natural verbal leaders. I would pass on Kirk the assistant coach.
"Uh...we've always like ET. ET has big hands. His mother has big hands."
ATRAIN53
Head Coach
And1: 2,560

Post#13 » by ATRAIN53 » Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:48 pm

He's def going to coach. His dad is a coach and the kid grew up and breathes NBA.
He's an NBA lifer and better start here behind the bench.
sco
RealGM
And1: 7,639

Post#14 » by sco » Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:09 pm

Kirk's success has been about attitude and defensive effort. Nothing about his game or demonstrated leadership on or off-court (as far as is shared with public) exudes "this guy should be a coach". Also, Kirk has made a ton of $$$ and doesn't need the post-career payday. I don't think so. Just because a guy is a coach's son, doesn't mean he wants to coach.

The based on what I see on court and read off-court, I think Pau, Jo and Taj would all be better coaches.
:clap:
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Post#15 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:10 pm

None of the reasoning I am seeing really had much to do with being a coach and you can also be a coach without being a head coach. Some coaches have never even played the game so judging it by his floor game or interviews is pretty worthless. As far as him going into in depth analysis I can't recall the last time I saw an athlete do that in the nba in their 30 second interviews and Hinrich had never been the guy they put on the podium at pressers.

Hey. Rose has given some pretty in depth answers in interviews. Maybe he can be a coach.
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,310

Re: RE: Re: Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards? 

Post#16 » by Stratmaster » Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:12 pm

Rerisen wrote:I never saw Kirk's floor game was any higher IQ than Chris Duhon. Who also played solid defense and looked to set up his teammates well. Oddly never heard anyone say Chris Duhon would make a great coach.

Not that Kirk is an especially dumb player - though he does dumb things just like anyone else - but neither is he some basketball savant that makes super heady plays all the time. Super gritty and effort plays, yes. Maybe its just that dogged determination itself where people see leadership qualities in.

We've also never heard that he is some great locker room vocal leader. Other players respect his grit and his steady play (certainly in his prime) but the team leaders were usually seen to be like Deng, or actually the coaches themselves, Skiles then Thibs, with often talk being that the Bulls lacked real leaders. Jimmy was saying a lot of that this offseason.

Best thing that can be said for Kirk in a coaching sense, is he tries to implement the coaches gameplan on both ends. Now whether he would actually be good at communicating that to a whole team of players... who knows.

But like I said, if Pete Myers can do it, at least as an assistant, I'm sure Kirk can.

It's not like coaching isn't something you can't learn and get better at, just like anything else. Far easer to grow as a coach than as an actual player, where you are truly limited by simple physical talent.

Why is Kirk a better coaching candidate than Pau Gasol for instance? It could just be Kirk's dad was a coach, so people see it as a natural transition that they think he will *want* to do.

I think Kirk could certainly do it, but so could a lot of players if they wanted. To me, he wouldn't be a top 3 player in the whole league that I would pick to think would make a great coach. So we'll have to wait and see after his career if he wants to do that, and is good at it. Percentage breakdown below suggests probably 1 coach voted for him.

> Which active player will make the best head coach someday?

1. Chris Paul, L.A. Clippers -- 25.0%
2. Mike Conley, Memphis -- 14.3%
3. Steve Blake, Detroit -- 12.5%
4. Andre Miller, Minnesota -- 7.1%
5. Jarrett Jack, Brooklyn -- 5.4%

Also receiving votes: Caron Butler, Sacramento; Jared Dudley, Washington; Willie Green; Kirk Hinrich, Chicago; Jameer Nelson, Denver; Pablo Prigioni, L.A. Clippers; J.J. Redick, L.A. Clippers; Luis Scola, Toronto; Garrett Temple, Washington; David West, San Antonio
Last year: Chris Paul -- 24.0%

You can't seer why kirk might be a better coach than pau? Really?
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Re: RE: Re: Does anyone think Captain Kirk could be a good future assistant bench coach for the guards? 

Post#17 » by Rerisen » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:11 pm

Stratmaster wrote:You can't seer why kirk might be a better coach than pau? Really?

Really! If I did see it why would I have asked the question in the first place. You quoted a huge post to answer a legitimate question with a dumb question.

So instead how about answer the question for me if its so obvious.

I sure hope its not because Pau is a bad defender (based on physical limitation), neither was Steve Kerr. Gasol is one of the most intelligent players in the NBA. He's 's also patient, and a good communicator. He's also been a NBA champion. He's also played for one of the greatest coaches of all time in Phil Jackson, like Steve Kerr did. Seems he would have all the tools to me.
unknownnewbie
General Manager
And1: 1,294

Post#18 » by unknownnewbie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:06 am

Rerisen wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:You can't seer why kirk might be a better coach than pau? Really?

Really! If I did see it why would I have asked the question in the first place. You quoted a huge post to answer a legitimate question with a dumb question.

So instead how about answer the question for me if its so obvious.

I sure hope its not because Pau is a bad defender (based on physical limitation), neither was Steve Kerr. Gasol is one of the most intelligent players in the NBA. He's 's also patient, and a good communicator. He's also been a NBA champion. He's also played for one of the greatest coaches of all time in Phil Jackson, like Steve Kerr did. Seems he would have all the tools to me.

Pau has so many interests outside of basketball that I have a hard time thinking he would want to be a coach. I think he could be a good one if he wanted to put in the hours and days and weeks and months needed, but somehow I think he'd prefer to have the time to pursue all of his other interests.

As for Kirk, he has mentioned in recent interviews that he doesn't like not being around enough to see his kids grow up. He's got 4 kids (3 girls, 1 boy) all under the age of 8. So I have a feeling whatever job he takes once he retires will have to allow him to be home more. So maybe a front office job rather than a coaching spot? Then maybe once his kids are older, maybe he'd move into the coaching side.

Just a guess, though
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by Rerisen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 1:09 am

unknownnewbie wrote:Pau has so many interests outside of basketball that I have a hard time thinking he would want to be a coach. I think he could be a good one if he wanted to put in the hours and days and weeks and months needed, but somehow I think he'd prefer to have the time to pursue all of his other interests

I agree that he wouldn't be as likely to be interested in doing it, but that's not what is being asked in the OP, merely about likely capability.
art_barbie
Banned User
And1: 157

Post#20 » by art_barbie » Tue Nov 24, 2015 4:47 am

dont think Kirk was "bad enough" to be a good coach. Usually end of the bench guys or 7th-10th men make the best coaches. Or role players on great teams.

Kirk is essentially a 12-13 year starter, made about 100 million and still likely has most of it. He was an elite defender and defense came easy to him...not unlike offense coming easy to Magic...i could see Kirk not being able to comprehend his players not being able to defend well.

Great defenders are great usually because of their ability to size a guy up...so in that sense Kirk would make a better GM...in fact a really good one imo.

Return to Chicago Bulls