Image ImageImage Image

Jimmy Jordan's Improvement

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Re: Jimmy Jordan's Improvement 

Post#41 » by Rerisen » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:59 am

PaKii94 wrote:Idk if he can get there in usage, and if he does it will almost certainly cause a dip in his defense which we desperately need right now. However, I do believe he can take his usage up a bit more.

-----

It's funny this article comes up a few hours after i post this thread: http://www.blogabull.com/2015/11/23/9780898/where-would-the-bulls-be-without-jimmy-butler

Can never have enough praising Jimmy pieces.

At this point 12 games in, Butler is carrying this team almost as much as 2011 Rose carried that team. Though Rose only carried the offense, we had a legitimately great defense beside him. This year Jimmy is anchoring both sides of the ball.

If you rate the team as a whole, then the FO gets high marks for drafting Butler who is doing so much to keep the team relevant. But if you grade each player independently, then outside Jimmy, there are holes and flaws all over the place.

People are comparing Butler with James Harden and arguing if he is better. Let's not forget James Harden was the runner up MVP in the league last year. So pretty elite company.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,535

Post#42 » by Ice Man » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:25 pm

Rerisen wrote:At this point 12 games in, Butler is carrying this team almost as much as 2011 Rose carried that team.

This is a .500 team + Jimmy Butler. These are the good things the Bulls bring every night -

1) Jimmy Butler
2) Pau length
3) Jo rebounding off the bench
4) Taj defense off the bench

That's it, really. One player and three parts of players. Everything else is average, or sometimes good and sometimes not (which is just a higher standard deviation way of getting to average).

Jimmy has this team on his back, as did 2011 Rose and 2014 Noah.
Bomba Navarro
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,795

Post#43 » by Bomba Navarro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:26 pm

Great thread.

I just want to note though, that Jimmy's lack of wingspan gets overblown a lot, in the sense that wingspan is not the be all end all. While his wingspan is indeed bad for a SF and pedestrian even for a SG, he's mostly playing SG these days and he's tall for the position and has a superb max vertical reach for a SG, as he's quite the leaper -it gets overlooked a lot, but he ranked tenth in max vertical in his draft class at 39,0 inches, fifth amongst SG/SF-.
suckfish wrote:Lucas. You. Inside. Me. Slow. But. Fast.

The turd!
PaKii94
RealGM
And1: 6,544

Post#44 » by PaKii94 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:23 pm

Rerisen wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Idk if he can get there in usage, and if he does it will almost certainly cause a dip in his defense which we desperately need right now. However, I do believe he can take his usage up a bit more.

-----

It's funny this article comes up a few hours after i post this thread: http://www.blogabull.com/2015/11/23/9780898/where-would-the-bulls-be-without-jimmy-butler

Can never have enough praising Jimmy pieces.

At this point 12 games in, Butler is carrying this team almost as much as 2011 Rose carried that team. Though Rose only carried the offense, we had a legitimately great defense beside him. This year Jimmy is anchoring both sides of the ball.

If you rate the team as a whole, then the FO gets high marks for drafting Butler who is doing so much to keep the team relevant. But if you grade each player independently, then outside Jimmy, there are holes and flaws all over the place.

People are comparing Butler with James Harden and arguing if he is better. Let's not forget James Harden was the runner up MVP in the league last year. So pretty elite company.

yeah I said he has come near (not surpassed) where Harden was last year in terms of impact and that is great in itself as you mentioned since Harden was a legit MVP contender last year.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#45 » by PaKii94 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:25 pm

WatchYouBleed wrote:Great thread.

I just want to note though, that Jimmy's lack of wingspan gets overblown a lot, in the sense that wingspan is not the be all end all. While his wingspan is indeed bad for a SF and pedestrian even for a SG, he's mostly playing SG these days and he's tall for the position and has a superb max vertical reach for a SG, as he's quite the leaper -it gets overlooked a lot, but he ranked tenth in max vertical in his draft class at 39,0 inches, fifth amongst SG/SF-.

Oh I'm not saying it's that bad. Jimmy is a tank, I am lamenting in the fact that if he DID have that great of a wingspan he would be an absolute monster battling for the MVP. The wingspan would make his life easier both on offense, in getting his shots off, and defense in steals and blocks. Instead, Tony Freaking Snell was blessed with condor arms but can't seem to get his head straight :banghead:
MC3
RealGM
And1: 7,747

Post#46 » by MC3 » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:27 pm

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Jimmy Butler is 9th overall in RPM, 7th in WAR in whole NBA. He is the best shooting guard in the league and top 10 NBA player.
Ice Man
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 13,535

Post#47 » by Ice Man » Tue Nov 24, 2015 9:38 pm

MC3 wrote:Jimmy Butler is 9th overall in RPM, 7th in WAR in whole NBA. He is the best shooting guard in the league and top 10 NBA player.

Yep. And Chicago is the only good team/sorta contender without a second player that is in the top 40. Pau comes next on the list at #60, just behind Kelly Olynky and just ahead of Luis Scola. Jimmy's carrying his team like nobody else.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#48 » by PaKii94 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:17 am

MC3 wrote:http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM

Jimmy Butler is 9th overall in RPM, 7th in WAR in whole NBA. He is the best shooting guard in the league and top 10 NBA player.

You could break it down further:
-He's 6th in PG+SG+SF RPM (not including green who plays PF/C) behind Curry,Westbrook, Lowry, Lebron and real close to Kawhi
-He's 5th in PG+SG+SF WAR behind the people mentioned above besides Kawhi
-He's 2nd in guard DRPM
-He's 8th in guard ORPM

And that doesn't factor in his performance tonight
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#49 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:40 am

Anyone else think Jimmy was recovering from being sick?

He still had a very good game and all, but I just feel like his energy wasn't like it normally is. It would make sense to why he didn't make the Napa Valley trip.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
RedBulls23
Forum Mod - Bulls
Forum Mod - Bulls
And1: 21,232

Post#50 » by RedBulls23 » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:43 am

Jimmy damn well better make the all nba team this year, 2nd team at worst. It will be criminal if he doesn't.

And it was nonsense that he didn't make it last year on the 3rd team at the very least. He should have made it over Kyrie, imo.

And if Jimmy stays healthy, I can totally see him playing at this level for another 6 years before we see a decline.
My Tweets:@Salim_BGhoops
Leslie Forman
RealGM
And1: 6,300

Post#51 » by Leslie Forman » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:31 pm

Ice Man wrote:
Rerisen wrote:At this point 12 games in, Butler is carrying this team almost as much as 2011 Rose carried that team.

This is a .500 team + Jimmy Butler. These are the good things the Bulls bring every night -

1) Jimmy Butler
2) Pau length

That's it, really. One player and three parts of players. Everything else is average, or sometimes good and sometimes not (which is just a higher standard deviation way of getting to average).

This is nowhere near a .500 team without Butler.

If Butler was not on this team, I genuinely think they'd only have two wins - Brooklyn and Philly.

Rose/Brooks/Hinrich/Moore/McDermott/Snell

The backcourt without Jimmy would be absolute bottom of the barrel bad. This team probably has something like the 29th ranked offense and 20-something defense without him.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#52 » by PaKii94 » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:43 pm

Jimmy is definitely in elite company, with the past few games his stats are trending up from last year again, nearly every beneficial stat is up compared to last year and his 3pt % is now at 40.8%
Chi
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,376

Post#53 » by Chi » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:02 pm

You might find it interesting.

A video analyzing how Jimmy improved his jump shot so much...

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3W8B_hAJyh0[/youtube]
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#54 » by Rerisen » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:00 am

Chi wrote:You might find it interesting.

Who would think 2 years ago we'd have a video examining Butler's solid mechanics.

Maybe D-Rose needs to talk to the Butler on shooting. :o
Stratmaster
RealGM
And1: 8,308

Post#55 » by Stratmaster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:05 am

PaKii94 wrote:Jimmy is definitely in elite company, with the past few games his stats are trending up from last year again, nearly every beneficial stat is up compared to last year and his 3pt % is now at 40.8%

Jimmy has been awesome, and I don't want to rain on any parades. We do need to keep in mind that Jimmy started last season even hotter and stronger than this season. I will be thrilled if his numbers at the end of the season just match last season.
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#56 » by Stratmaster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:09 am

tong po wrote:
Ice Man wrote:

1) Jimmy Butler
2) Pau length

This is nowhere near a .500 team without Butler.

If Butler was not on this team, I genuinely think they'd only have two wins - Brooklyn and Philly.

Rose/Brooks/Hinrich/Moore/McDermott/Snell

The backcourt without Jimmy would be absolute bottom of the barrel bad. This team probably has something like the 29th ranked offense and 20-something defense without him.

While I disagree that any team with Pau, Noah, Taj, Niko, MDJ and Rose would be sub-500 I'm not going to argue. I am just going to say that I hope we never have to find out who is right.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#57 » by PaKii94 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:39 am

Rerisen wrote:
Chi wrote:You might find it interesting.

Who would think 2 years ago we'd have a video examining Butler's solid mechanics.

Maybe D-Rose needs to talk to the Butler on shooting. :o

Honestly, I think the mechanics of his shot were already there (look at 2013 playoffs). The turf toe injury did hamper him a lot the next year.

Earlier this summer, I was going to do a post analyzing derrick's 3 point shot. I went through all of his attempts post mcl return and his form is pretty good but he has 2 distinct ones. One for midrange and one for 3point shot. We know his midrange shot is money but it doesn't work out to the 3 point line. He was inconsistent between those. If only Rose could become consistent he could be shooting in the high 30s on limited attempts.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#58 » by PaKii94 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:44 am

Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:Jimmy is definitely in elite company, with the past few games his stats are trending up from last year again, nearly every beneficial stat is up compared to last year and his 3pt % is now at 40.8%

Jimmy has been awesome, and I don't want to rain on any parades. We do need to keep in mind that Jimmy started last season even hotter and stronger than this season. I will be thrilled if his numbers at the end of the season just match last season.

The difference is last year, he was playing balls out at this point in the season. So far this season, I feel like he has been a lot more passive and that is an optimistic point where I think Jimmy can still improve his stats
Stratmaster
RealGM

Post#59 » by Stratmaster » Sat Nov 28, 2015 12:49 am

PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

The difference is last year, he was playing balls out at this point in the season. So far this season, I feel like he has been a lot more passive and that is an optimistic point where I think Jimmy can still improve his stats

I understand, and I hope that he ends up all NBA/ASG MVP and top 5 in MVP voting. But I would be thrilled if he matches last season, because that means it wasn't, as I believed, a career season.
PaKii94
RealGM

Post#60 » by PaKii94 » Sat Nov 28, 2015 1:26 am

Stratmaster wrote:
PaKii94 wrote:
Stratmaster wrote:

I understand, and I hope that he ends up all NBA/ASG MVP and top 5 in MVP voting. But I would be thrilled if he matches last season, because that means it wasn't, as I believed, a career season.

oh yeah definitely. Even if he goes back to last year stats wise I would still be happy with it. I just think he will continue improving

Return to Chicago Bulls