Image ImageImage Image

Bulls TV Ratings down 29%.

Moderators: HomoSapien, Ice Man, dougthonus, Tommy Udo 6 , DASMACKDOWN, GimmeDat, Payt10, RedBulls23, coldfish, fleet, AshyLarrysDiaper, kulaz3000, Michael Jackson

Teh-Monkey-Man
Starter
And1: 451

Re: Bulls TV Ratings down 29%. 

Post#81 » by Teh-Monkey-Man » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:20 pm

I believe it. I would consider myself a die-hard Bulls fan and a huge NBA fan in general. I haven't watched a Bulls game in weeks. I just stopped caring... Right now I get my basketball fix from the National TV games of other teams
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#82 » by samwana » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:46 pm

Proven_Winner wrote:
ADDinChicago wrote:No one's saying not to like or support the Bulls. Don't give the owner money directly. That's where the most non-tv revenue comes in and with the mega cable deals with the NBA, not watching games vastly does little now.

I feel u on that but it's wishful thinking. Even if none of us went t would still sell out. I guess it's nice to imagine if no one went but that's never happening. This team isn't even the worst we've seen. There were worse Bulls teams that still sold out more than ANY other team.

There were definitely worse teams than this one, they were still more fun to watch than this team though.

Those teams right after the championship Bulls were also tough though, but at least there was a lot of buzz around what draft pick would fit in how. And it was at least entertaining to guess what Krause's next move would be.
The situation right now feels a bit the same as the end of Krause's tenure. He executed a lot of trades, with not that great of results. At least he tried though.
InsideInfo
Bench Warmer
And1: 769

Post#83 » by InsideInfo » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:35 pm

I would Absolutely love to see Gar/Pax gone.

Im sick and tired of them not making moves and always playing it safe. It feels like they don’t make moves bc they don’t want anyone to look back two years down the road and say “oh that was a bad trade” So instead they just don’t make moves.

Pax took over in 2003 and what trades have we made? Seriously…The biggest move we made was for Salmons/Miller.
We sit here day in and day out talking about KG, Kobe, Young Gasol, Amare, Dwight, Love, Bosh, Melo….. On and on the list of Star players who were up for grabs at one point or another. 13 years and we look back and say Brad Miller was the big move we made. We have never once traded for an all star quality player.

Even worse, the only time on of our players has been on the move is was almost always due to salary reasons. BG, Luol, Hinrich, Tyrus, Wallace, Noah…We never just package some players and take a chance on someone.

We need a front office that is willing to DO SOMETHING!

I CANT BE THE ONLY FAN WHO IS SICK AND TIRED OF WATCHING PLAYERS VALUE RISE, AND THEN FALL TO NOTHING BEFORE WE EVENTUALLY MOVE THEM.
McBulls
General Manager
And1: 3,564

Post#84 » by McBulls » Fri Feb 12, 2016 6:38 am

Not sure this is on topic, but the fact is that I told Comcast to stuff their TV feed today. This was done in spite of the fact that apparently Ballstreams has gone belly up (taking my money with them).

So the only way to see the Bulls in action is to hire a baby sitter and go to the game in person, or, less pleasantly, sit at a bar and spend a small fortune looking at a poorly captioned game while drinking overpriced Scotch.

Passed on dish service for now; at least until Noah shows up to play.
veji1
Starter
And1: 488

Post#85 » by veji1 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:29 am

I can see why it happens. As many here I really have sort of stop caring, there is no positive narrative, nothing to look forward to. It's not only a question of winning it's a question of direction, of story : watching a team developp like those 2008-2010 years watching a team contend like those 2010-2012 years, watching a team fight for survival against the odds like those 2012-2014 years.. Last year was already somewhate unsavory to me even though we were still good. This year ? Meh.. i watch the Jazz for Gobert or the Cats for Batum, or the Spurs for Duncan, but the Bulls.... the fire isn't there anymore.
jc23
RealGM
And1: 10,777

Post#86 » by jc23 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:28 pm

does dvr'ing a show count towards tv ratings?
Be curious, Not judgmental
patryk7754
General Manager
And1: 1,106

Post#87 » by patryk7754 » Fri Feb 12, 2016 8:21 pm

Maybe since everything is just plummeting into an abyss, JR will apologize to thibs and he comes back? :)
transplant
RealGM
And1: 3,408

Post#88 » by transplant » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:26 pm

Many of us are guilty of believing that we are representative of most fans when we probably aren't. This said, I'll always remember the first half of the 2015-16 NBA season as when I finally gave up on the comeback of Derrick Rose. For me, this is very significant in terms of my interest level.

As long as I believed that Rose could return close to his previous form, there was hope for this team to be a true contender. The surprising development of Butler was particularly exciting IF Rose could come close to all the way back, but not as nearly as exciting if Butler is to be "the new Rose."

For me, Rose has been a profound disappointment this season. While many seem to believe that he's significantly improved over the past month or so, I'm not seeing it. All season he's been a deadly combination of horribly low efficiency and high usage. While at his best, he wasn't a high-efficiency scorer, he's now in the bottom 5% of the league. If he can maintain his recent "surge," he'd creep up to the bottom 15%. The fact that he scores at such a low rate hasn't kept him from posting the highest usage rate on the team.

In my mind, Rose is irrevocably done as a (positive) impact player and it makes me very sad to acknowledge this.
Until the actual truth is more important to you than what you believe, you will never recognize the truth.

- Blatantly stolen from truebluefan
ADDinChicago
Analyst
And1: 757

Post#89 » by ADDinChicago » Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 pm

jc23 wrote:does dvr'ing a show count towards tv ratings?

They do... if the people DVRing a show are connected to a ratings box. The problem with TV ratings is they are not fact. They're an estimate of the population, much like an election poll.

Nielsen has ratings boxes on selected units that agree to have the boxes and then they take that data and multiply it by the area, demographic, etc. So it's basically a complicated science that networks have agreed to use. And I'm sure it can be skewed and manipulated, etc. It's not a factual way of conducting numbers, just the accepted way. Which is why I said the other day "ratings" really at this point matter to the networks and advertisers only for the most part. And it's not really going to make JR bat an eye when he owns part of the network most games air on and there's already ridiculous money coming in from ESPN, TNT & NBA TV that's guaranteed.
Mr. Tibbs
Head Coach
And1: 466

Post#90 » by Mr. Tibbs » Mon Feb 15, 2016 9:04 pm

transplant wrote:Many of us are guilty of believing that we are representative of most fans when we probably aren't. This said, I'll always remember the first half of the 2015-16 NBA season as when I finally gave up on the comeback of Derrick Rose. For me, this is very significant in terms of my interest level.

As long as I believed that Rose could return close to his previous form, there was hope for this team to be a true contender. The surprising development of Butler was particularly exciting IF Rose could come close to all the way back, but not as nearly as exciting if Butler is to be "the new Rose."

For me, Rose has been a profound disappointment this season. While many seem to believe that he's significantly improved over the past month or so, I'm not seeing it. All season he's been a deadly combination of horribly low efficiency and high usage. While at his best, he wasn't a high-efficiency scorer, he's now in the bottom 5% of the league. If he can maintain his recent "surge," he'd creep up to the bottom 15%. The fact that he scores at such a low rate hasn't kept him from posting the highest usage rate on the team.

In my mind, Rose is irrevocably done as a (positive) impact player and it makes me very sad to acknowledge this.

I disagree to some extent about Rose (think he can still be a helpful player at the right price), but I have that same sad realization that this iteration of the Bulls isn't a contender, nor ever will be any time soon. It makes it pretty hard to watch after all the ups and downs we've been through in the past 4-5 years.
RIP Johnny Red Kerr, Norm Van Lier, Pdenninggolden, Bullsmaniac
Rerisen
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 25,052

Post#91 » by Rerisen » Mon Feb 15, 2016 10:07 pm

Mr. Tibbs wrote:
transplant wrote:Many of us are guilty of believing that we are representative of most fans when we probably aren't. This said, I'll always remember the first half of the 2015-16 NBA season as when I finally gave up on the comeback of Derrick Rose. For me, this is very significant in terms of my interest level.

I disagree to some extent about Rose (think he can still be a helpful player at the right price), but I have that same sad realization that this iteration of the Bulls isn't a contender, nor ever will be any time soon. It makes it pretty hard to watch after all the ups and downs we've been through in the past 4-5 years.

The sooner the FO realizes it the sooner the team can become interesting again. As they actually get to work with a plan based around retooling the team for the future. That should start as soon as this deadline Thursday.

The longer they prolong it, the more this is like watching a zombie team, already dead in terms of viability, but they just don't know it or won't admit it.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager
And1: 2,368

Post#92 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:06 am

Bulls were fun to watch some of the Scott Skiles era and pre-ACL Rose, and little of the Nate era but this team was hardly ever fun to watch imo. Grind it out games were never pretty to me.
errisal
Head Coach
And1: 406

Post#93 » by errisal » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:14 am

DarthDiggler69 wrote:Bulls were fun to watch some of the Scott Skiles era and pre-ACL Rose, and little of the Nate era but this team was hardly ever fun to watch imo. Grind it out games were never pretty to me.

They were the best games to watch because players had to show actual skillsets and plays had to be made with defenders in their face. I still watch the games even though I dislike this team very much. I'm sad to say I'm a homer with blind faith that somehow they wake up and realize untapped potential. My real hope is that I'll be watching and Stacey or Neil will announce the FO has been fired and several useless players have been traded. Hope is eternal. :nod:
"The Cubs will Win a World Series title in my Lifetime! I plan to live to the age of 150 and the Cubs Win it in 2017! :nod: "
keloms
Veteran
And1: 1,933

Post#94 » by keloms » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:39 am

It's self inflicted and they're getting exactly what they deserve. Can't say it's the slightest bit upsetting.

jc23 wrote:does dvr'ing a show count towards tv ratings?

They do, but, in a different way. Ratings are classified in 3 ways, live, +3, and +7 so if you don't watch live, but, still do within 3 or 7 days, you still count in the other categories.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager

Post#95 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:25 am

Pretty sure TV sticks and League Pass stole alot of of those 29% who left. League Pass viewers skyrocketed last two years and Alot of people are dropping cable lately
Wingy
RealGM
And1: 4,923

Post#96 » by Wingy » Tue Feb 16, 2016 4:32 am

DanTown8587 wrote:The entitlement felt in this thread and others littering the board is simply amazing to me. I can understand the frustration in it all because it's frustrating to be a fan of a team and watch it not meet expectations but the entitlement though?

I think a huge part of the current outcry is something you highlighted in the "fire GarPax" thread.

This is a rudderless franchise. As fans, we don't have any clue what they're trying to do. Up, down, sideways. It's anyone's guess at this point.

For having so much supposed talent on paper, we've never had so few assets in my memory.

I was thinking - "what could we trade for Blake?" after seeing the Blake / Nuggets article. It was depressing. I couldn't think of any proposal not involving Jimmy that wouldn't get laughed off the face of the planet.

FA is basically off the table. Everyone is going to see a bump due to the rising cap and it's a horrid, so bad it was thread-worthy FA class this offseason.

We're old. We're not athletic. We can't shoot. We barely have any young talent that's worth a damn. What we do have has a low ceiling. We have no money compared to other teams...despite ownership being one of the most profitable groups in the league. We have minuscule hope for a bad FA class. We'll have a mediocre draft pick this year. We have a coach learning on the job. We have little to no faith in our current GM. Some would say the same about our ownership.

All those problems and we have no identity whatsoever. You wonder why people don't talk team building - and I'd respond it's tough to realistically change much considering our current roster, salary and general lack of hope to realistically make things better for at least another full season from now. People just aren't jazzed at the thought of watching this same movie for a third time next season.

I'm a title or bust person - with the understanding that you're either contending, or trying to contend. Sometimes "trying" means actually getting worse or waiting a few years as your youth matures and gels. Right now we're not on any of those paths. If anything, I feel entitled to my team at least picking a lane.

After the 2010 plan and the 2014 plan, forgive the board if it's not stoked and rubbing its collective hands in excitement as it imagines the details and moves involved in cooking up the 2017, post-Rose plan.
NecessaryEvil
General Manager
And1: 7,039

Post#97 » by NecessaryEvil » Tue Feb 16, 2016 5:28 am

InsideInfo with the post of the year.

I stopped watching a few games back. Done with this FO.
samwana
General Manager
And1: 2,450

Post#98 » by samwana » Tue Feb 16, 2016 8:23 am

NecessaryEvil wrote:InsideInfo with the post of the year.

I stopped watching a few games back. Done with this FO.

InsideInfo and transplant sum it up perfectly.

There is no future, no hope, no direction and no fun.

For me it's definitely not championship or bust, but I want a team that's competing hard on all fronts. Nobody is competing anymore, not on the court and not in the front office. Time to move on, if they don't move on, I will.
DarthDiggler69
General Manager

Post#99 » by DarthDiggler69 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:18 pm

No matter how bad Bulls ever were I can never stop watching, I just dont have any expectations. Actually rather have them lose and get a lottery pick
SpinninHouse
RealGM
And1: 2,725

Post#100 » by SpinninHouse » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:38 pm

My family had season tickets dating back to the Dynasty years. After game 6 against Cleveland last year, we immediately made the decision to give them up. We won't buy them back until a better product is on the floor.

This year, I've vowed to stop watching the games. I'm watched damn near every game since the 90's and I'm sick and tired of watching this BS. Why do I want to waste my free time watching Pau Gasol play the worst pick n roll defense in NBA history? We do I want to see Tony Snell and Doug McDermott run around for 30 minutes and contribute absolutely nothing?

Why do I want to see Taj Gibson fail to get the easiest, simplest rebounds at the end of the game - costing us the W? Why do I want to hear Rose scratch at the last second with "general soreness?"

The roster must improve or I'm done watching the games, period.
FIRE THE JOHN "THE SNAKE" PAXSON, FOR GARMAN, AND FRED HOIBERGER.

#CHICAGOBULLS

Return to Chicago Bulls